BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Facebook - Stay or Go?

01-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #133
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
With so many conservatives in this forum, I'd have guessed many moved to Parler and gab.
Appreciate 2
Fined243.00
mahalom3163.00
      01-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #134
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I work in IT, and every hiring committee I've been on has "explored" candidates social media accounts. I don't agree with it, but I know lots of other companies do it as well. A lot of the stuff we find is quite interesting.
Out of curiosity, what do they do if they cannot find a candidate's social media account(s)?

Because I work in IT, I do not have and never had a social media account.....
      01-18-2021, 08:38 PM   #135
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
"every hiring committee I've been on has "explored" candidates social media accounts." exactly - this kills me - how do you NOT know they are going to look at this stuff?

We had a girl that worked for a vendor of ours at an old job. We were hiring for the main HR spot in the office and she called to say she saw it and wanted to apply for it. I asked her to send over her resume. The email came from the email "SuperSexyButt@XXXXX.com". Needless to say I and the other department heads got a nice laugh out of that.....but she was NOT called for an interview.

How can someone be that dumb?
Yeah not calling her for an in-person interview sounds pretty dumb.
kscarrol8775.50
      01-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #136
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Yeah not calling her for an in-person interview sounds pretty dumb.
For science.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410880.50
kscarrol8775.50
      01-18-2021, 11:14 PM   #137
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
"every hiring committee I've been on has "explored" candidates social media accounts." exactly - this kills me - how do you NOT know they are going to look at this stuff?

We had a girl that worked for a vendor of ours at an old job. We were hiring for the main HR spot in the office and she called to say she saw it and wanted to apply for it. I asked her to send over her resume. The email came from the email "SuperSexyButt@XXXXX.com". Needless to say I and the other department heads got a nice laugh out of that.....but she was NOT called for an interview.

How can someone be that dumb?
Wouldn't that be discrimination against super sexy butted people??

Now of course if some flat butt chick shows up then it's fair game for being a lying bitch!!
Appreciate 4
RickFLM410880.50
kscarrol8775.50
unluky7465.00
      01-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #138
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Out of curiosity, what do they do if they cannot find a candidate's social media account(s)?

That has happened a few times, and it didn't seem to impact the decision either way. Although in those cases the candidates were a bit older.

Personally when I'm on committees I don't give a shit about their social media, I want to make sure they have a good work ethic and good communication skills.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      01-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #139
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Who are you calling old?!?!? Get off my lawn, kid!

I was just curious, since I have not been on a job interview in 35 years and have read tales of a few employers requiring that prospects hand over their social media passwords before hiring them.....
      01-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #140
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Hate the intrusive software but I use it for many things like the OP, other than that I can't stand it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:27 AM   #141
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Hand over passwords??? Nope.
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17874.00
      01-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #142
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:

Our company also looks, no issue if the candidate has nothing, just too simple to do a quick search that might show something the company doesn't want to get involved with. The process of hiring and firing someone is difficult enough that it doesn't make sense not to quickly check all easily accessible information. If you would be a public embarrassment to the company they would rather find someone else.

Nobody is asking for passwords and I am not following why they would even need them. They are most concerned with what you post for the world to see.
      01-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #143
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Tell you what, I was invited to a Symposium and had my few cents to tell in front of the crowd. Hence I was listed into the summary I assumed that most of the people had tried to Google, Fuqbook, IG...you name it... me, but surely w/o result
How righteous my thoughts were for that I had determined later at an open Q&A as one of the attendees had asked directly for my experience and qualification, because the www hadnt to tell anything about my person.
With that being said you could decide for yourself how high superficial other people would rate your personal appearance into (a)social or other public media.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      01-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #144
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Who are you calling old?!?!? Get off my lawn, kid!

I was just curious, since I have not been on a job interview in 35 years and have read tales of a few employers requiring that prospects hand over their social media passwords before hiring them.....

I never said old, "older" as in old enough where they don't care about social media or don't feel the need for accounts. I think it's safe to say most entry level hires fresh out of college would be more likely to have every form of social media compared to an established professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Our company also looks, no issue if the candidate has nothing, just too simple to do a quick search that might show something the company doesn't want to get involved with. The process of hiring and firing someone is difficult enough that it doesn't make sense not to quickly check all easily accessible information. If you would be a public embarrassment to the company they would rather find someone else.

Nobody is asking for passwords and I am not following why they would even need them. They are most concerned with what you post for the world to see.

Yup, we never request any passwords, as we don't need them. Most of the time we don't even tell them we look at social media, because it's public information. If a company requests passwords to accounts that seems over the line to me and nobody should need that. Like mentioned above it's mainly to see what is posted in the public eye and if it would have a negative impact on the potential employer.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
David701567.00
      01-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #145
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
and have read tales of a few employers requiring that prospects hand over their social media passwords before hiring them.....
I suspect that is made up by kids angry they didn't get a job because they were posting stupid stuff on social media.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
      01-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #146
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I suspect that is made up by kids angry they didn't get a job because they were posting stupid stuff on social media.
probably.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #147
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Tell you what, I was invited to a Symposium and had my few cents to tell in front of the crowd. Hence I was listed into the summary I assumed that most of the people had tried to Google, Fuqbook, IG...you name it... me, but surely w/o result
I went before our local town board last winter, for a job-like interview to serve on a one-time committee. The first thing that I said was that I'm not afraid of the Farcebook bullies that were threatening the local politicians and prompting the committee's creation, because I work in IT and knew better than to ever create a Farcebook account. They can post whatever they want about me, because I'll never see it to be bullied.

What scares me more is that my siblings and extended family are heavy Farcebook users. They keep asking why I don't respond to their Farcebook crap addressed to me. Apparently, there is someone on Farcebook with my name that they are all friends with. Probably a Russian 'bot. When I couldn't make the annual family holiday gathering a few years ago, I told them to invite Farcebook me in my place...and pray that he/she/it isn't an axe murderer!

Not that I expect to be changing jobs any time soon (knock on wood), I'm most worried about a potential future employer doing a social media search and confusing someone else's profile with me because we have the same name.....
      01-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #148
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
With so many conservatives in this forum, I'd have guessed many moved to Parler and gab.
Quote:
Parler.... is that like a right wing echo chamber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
Dang3r12503.00
      01-19-2021, 05:16 PM   #149
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Plenty echo chambers out there on all sides...

And in before thread lock for politics!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #150
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 comp

I only use to keep my contact with friends/fam, and then groups for cars and bourbon. Recently got thrown in a mild version of "FB jail" haven't been on for 3 days now and really don't miss anything. Not sure I'll go back as often as I was, since it's just such a time-suck. Politics aside, the app can be super toxic.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #151
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooni View Post
I only use to keep my contact with friends/fam, and then groups for cars and bourbon. Recently got thrown in a mild version of "FB jail" haven't been on for 3 days now and really don't miss anything. Not sure I'll go back as often as I was, since it's just such a time-suck. Politics aside, the app can be super toxic.
Facebook is just destructive in general. It feeds off of people's need to see what others are doing and compare themselves. Same thing with Instagram. I think if people tuned those two things out they wouldn't be so insecure.

For me Marketplace is a bad thing because I'll browse it when I'm bored and then I end up with another dirt bike or ATV project in my garage to rebuild.
Appreciate 2
spooni480.50
      01-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #152
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 comp

Quote:
Facebook is just destructive in general. It feeds off of people's need to see what others are doing and compare themselves. Same thing with Instagram. I think if people tuned those two things out they wouldn't be so insecure.

For me Marketplace is a bad thing because I'll browse it when I'm bored and then I end up with another dirt bike or ATV project in my garage to rebuild.

Soooo true. It's very bad for mental health in general: creates a false sense of reality, insecurity, lack of self-worth.. I could go on. Not to mention it's engineered to be addicting and rewards the same dopamine centers as cocaine.

Hah! I've had pretty good luck selling via MP vs. craigslist. Although, the "is this still available" messages and never a follow-up are super irritating!
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #153
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Well since this thread is now going to be nuked... I might as well mention that conservatives have not been banned from Facebook or Twitter. Only crazy conspiracy theorists. There's a big difference.

Quote:
I never said old, "older" as in old enough where they don't care about social media or don't feel the need for accounts. I think it's safe to say most entry level hires fresh out of college would be more likely to have every form of social media compared to an established professional.
True if you're talking about all social media platforms, but I am pretty sure boomers dominate Facebook these days. No one under 30 will touch it other than having a profile so their grandma can add them.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #154
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Well since this thread is now going to be nuked... I might as well mention that conservatives have not been banned from Facebook or Twitter. Only crazy conspiracy theorists. There's a big difference.

True if you're talking about all social media platforms, but I am pretty sure boomers dominate Facebook these days. No one under 30 will touch it other than having a profile so their grandma can add them.
I think most forms of social media lead to the comparison thing. I only have Facebook (for buying/selling shit on Marketplace) and Snapchat, which is for sending funny pics/videos to my close friends and my siblings.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00