BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board How are you passing time and staying entertained during the pandemic?

03-25-2020, 05:06 AM   #441
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The devil went down to Walmart.... looking for a roll to steal.. he was in a bind, clenching his behind... he was willing to make a deal.....
King Rudi13154.00
Dpc2u11503.00
M_Six16963.50
Ngilbe361618.50
upstatedoc7559.50
rebekahb3132.50
      03-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #442
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Tough question!
For surround applications Trinnov is probably the best surround preamp available right now, but I really like Acurus for a surround preamp I can at least envision affording. For amplifiers Parasound Halo probably delivers all the performance I'd ever need.

For stereo applications there really are so many options it's difficult to nail anything down. I like Convergent Audio Technology's stuff a lot, but it's far outside what I can afford. Again, Parasound Halo is super legit, and priced within the realm of consideration. In the KEF Music Lounge we use a Halo JC2 preamp ($4500) and two JC1+ monoblocs ($8500 ea) in the two channel area (where the Muons are in the picture above), but a great setup is the Halo P6 preamp ($1600) with the new Halo JC5 stereo amplifier ($6000). The P6 has pretty damn good DACs... So feed Tidal (or some other high-res source) from your laptop into the USB input on the P6 and it's solid!

My advice is to make sure you're picking electronics that are a good match to your speakers. There are really good amplifiers and preamps that wouldn't be at all good with certain loudspeakers. It really is a system with components that have to complement each other for maximum benefit. One of my biggest frustrations is that too many people fail to value what more-experienced people suggest. This is the value a true Hi-Fi shop can deliver. So if you're shopping for preamps/amplifiers/Integrated amplifiers/receivers, do it at a true Hi-Fi shop that sells your brand of speakers. This way they have experience and know what electronics complements the speakers (and vice versa). Often a hifi shop can even build a demo system in their showroom using the speakers you own.
Ive never heard of Trinnov and Acurus, I have heard of Parasound but the amount of audiophile grade amps are insane: Pass labs, PS audio, Acuphase, Bryston, Anthem, Classe, Cambridge Audio, etc.. Its so hard to decipher who is really tops. With receivers its simple: Anthem is tops, no question.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #443
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
On sale from 250 to 165 dollars at Walmart.com with 3 games if you care to still get one. It is an Xbox One S, not the X.

I'm all for PS4, but figured I'd share since I saw this deal posted earlier online somewhere.
Is the S worth a crap, though?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #444
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
How many lives could be saved from automotive accidents if we mandated that everyone in a vehicle is required to wear a helmet? However, we as a society have decided that wearing a helmet is too burdensome. We accept the risk and inevitable deaths that occur from letting people be in vehicles without a helmet.

To me- this massive government imposition (read: concern for health) has to be weighed against the economic and social cost. It isn't a 100% one-way or the other situation. Both have to be considered and allowed for.
      03-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #445
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

03-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #446
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
On sale from 250 to 165 dollars at Walmart.com with 3 games if you care to still get one. It is an Xbox One S, not the X.

I'm all for PS4, but figured I'd share since I saw this deal posted earlier online somewhere.
Is the S worth a crap, though?
Same thing like PS4 vs PS4 Pro.

you don't need the X unless you just wanna waste money lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #447
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
How many lives could be saved from automotive accidents if we mandated that everyone in a vehicle is required to wear a helmet? However, we as a society have decided that wearing a helmet is too burdensome. We accept the risk and inevitable deaths that occur from letting people be in vehicles without a helmet.

To me- this massive government imposition (read: concern for health) has to be weighed against the economic and social cost. It isn't a 100% one-way or the other situation. Both have to be considered and allowed for.
Not really comparable. People dying in cars doesn't cause others to die in cars. It's an isolated incident (don't argue multi-car accidents etc. - you know what I mean). If each fatal accident on the road meant that 3 other cars on that road at that time would also crash and kill their occupants within 2 weeks, then I would agree.

I was just discussing this with the guys who were installing my garage. There's 2 of them. They're not hugging all day - they keep a distance, as did I when talking to them. They should be able to continue working as they present little danger, but they're considered non-essential, so will be fired. So they'll go on government unemployment costing the government money, and it's going to cost their business owner money in lost income for 3+ weeks - a lose lose basically, and I don't think they have done anything to increase public safety. But at the same time, the city (or county) don't have to time or resources to look at every business and say "you can keep working like that - but you can't - you can, you can't" - just not feasible. So the respective governments have to make blanket decisions as they see best.

I think I read that Philadelphia made a call in 1918 - a bad one. Nobody wants to make those any more, so best to err on the side of caution.

But - like the Y2K issue - because we addressed it and resolved 99% of issues, many people believe it was a farce because nothing happened. Same will happen here - in 3 weeks time if the virus declines many will actually argue that it was all unnecessary and just a scare tactic - but they can't see the bigger picture. Small thinkers with a narrow view.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #448
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Quote:

Not really comparable. People dying in cars doesn't cause others to die in cars. It's an isolated incident (don't argue multi-car accidents etc. - you know what I mean). If each fatal accident on the road meant that 3 other cars on that road at that time would also crash and kill their occupants within 2 weeks, then I would agree.

I was just discussing this with the guys who were installing my garage. There's 2 of them. They're not hugging all day - they keep a distance, as did I when talking to them. They should be able to continue working as they present little danger, but they're considered non-essential, so will be fired. So they'll go on government unemployment costing the government money, and it's going to cost their business owner money in lost income for 3+ weeks - a lose lose basically, and I don't think they have done anything to increase public safety. But at the same time, the city (or county) don't have to time or resources to look at every business and say "you can keep working like that - but you can't - you can, you can't" - just not feasible. So the respective governments have to make blanket decisions as they see best.

I think I read that Philadelphia made a call in 1918 - a bad one. Nobody wants to make those any more, so best to err on the side of caution.

But - like the Y2K issue - because we addressed it and resolved 99% of issues, many people believe it was a farce because nothing happened. Same will happen here - in 3 weeks time if the virus declines many will actually argue that it was all unnecessary and just a scare tactic - but they can't see the bigger picture. Small thinkers with a narrow view.
Y2K was a farce...the electrical/municipality utilities had the rollover of numbers figured out long before year 2000. Ask anyone that was in the industry including me.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #449
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpTXX5 View Post
Y2K was a farce...the electrical/municipality utilities had the rollover of numbers figured out long before year 2000. Ask anyone that was in the industry including me.
I'm in the industry, and I fixed code that would have failed, so no, it was not a farce. It was real even if in your experience it didn't seem so.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #450
wpTXX5
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm in the industry, and I fixed code that would have failed, so no, it was not a farce. It was real even if in your experience it didn't seem so.
Ok, got it! I was a rate consultant to all the major utility companies who had it figured out.

Thanks for writing the code though!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #451
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, got it! I was a rate consultant to all the major utility companies who had it figured out.

I was working for an electric company in New Zealand at the time, and their billing system for larger customers (not consumers) would have failed if we didn't recode it. Same with your organizations - because they were aware of it, and "had it figured out" then it seems like a farce because nothing went wrong, but if they hadn't figured it out, shit would have gone wrong. But thanks for making my point.

As it was, I remember certain things did go wrong, some up to a year before Y2K, some right on time as expected. Thankfully nothing major like a bank system collapsing and losing everything - was fairly minor stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #452
wpTXX5
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was working for an electric company in New Zealand at the time, and their billing system for larger customers (not consumers) would have failed if we didn't recode it. Same with your organizations - because they were aware of it, and "had it figured out" then it seems like a farce because nothing went wrong, but if they hadn't figured it out, shit would have gone wrong. But thanks for making my point.

As it was, I remember certain things did go wrong, some up to a year before Y2K, some right on time as expected. Thankfully nothing major like a bank system collapsing and losing everything - was fairly minor stuff.
For sure the recoding and steps were necessary, but there was no need to move to Idaho and "live off the land" like a buddy of mine did.

Back on track with the thread, what are you up to during this craziness?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #453
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For sure the recoding and steps were necessary, but there was no need to move to Idaho and "live off the land" like a buddy of mine did.

Wow - now that's crazy.

I'm - not doing anything different. I live alone, I work from home, I'm a bit of an introvert so don't go out much, so this craziness is what I call "Wednesday". Life as usual for me, other than REALLY wanting to take my cars to cars and coffee, and I can't - that's about it.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #454
wpTXX5
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wow - now that's crazy.

I'm - not doing anything different. I live alone, I work from home, I'm a bit of an introvert so don't go out much, so this craziness is what I call "Wednesday". Life as usual for me, other than REALLY wanting to take my cars to cars and coffee, and I can't - that's about it.
Nice did I see you just got a lambo?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #455
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:

The point your missing is the government mandating things to save lives. The government isn't mandating helmets for vehicle occupants, yet we average ~39 deaths a day from motor vehicle accidents in the US. Why? It isn't because the risk is only to ourselves, or we'd be mandating helmets for at least minors. It is because we weigh the risk against other factors. That's what needs to be done with the WuFlu. We need to weigh the various factors at play, and not just look at the public health component in a vacuum.
      03-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #456
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Better get those 'think about the economy' comments in soon - this thing is just taking off and it won't be Y2K that it reminds you of (remember how you felt on 9/11 just before the first tower collapsed - like 'shit this is bad' and then all of a sudden it got BAD). But in the meantime, I'm about to put on my summer tires and enjoy some $2.75 premium and empty roads (I do have to work, but that means I also have my 'I'm essential' card if they put up roadblocks).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #457
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

I think they closed my pizza joint.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #458
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I think they closed my pizza joint.
You've got to bring it in house!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #459
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

The girlfriend is off work today. I asked her if she wanted to grab lunch today without realizing the governor had issued a state-wide order closing restaurants aside from take out orders......shit.

.....and here's Tom with the weather.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #460
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Wow - now that's crazy.

Same as me. I work from home, don't go out much and more of an introvert as well I'd say. Just another day to me apart from all these restrictions in place right now in CA. Would be nice to be able to go out and do some shopping without being afraid to even walk by someone lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #461
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Better get those 'think about the economy' comments in soon - this thing is just taking off and it won't be Y2K that it reminds you of (remember how you felt on 9/11 just before the first tower collapsed - like 'shit this is bad' and then all of a sudden it got BAD). But in the meantime, I'm about to put on my summer tires and enjoy some $2.75 premium and empty roads (I do have to work, but that means I also have my 'I'm essential' card if they put up roadblocks).
First, taking the economy into consideration isn't some loony concept. NOT taking the economy into consideration is what is reckless and downright stupid.

But don't speak in opaque terms. How many deaths (not contractions) do you think is going to happen? We would need tens of thousands of additional deaths to just get to how many perish from the flu every year!

It should be noted that it sounds as though your personal economic situation isn't in jeopardy. Further, you plan to use your "I'm essential card" to get around the restrictions you're such a fan of. That's the definition of being a hypocrite.
      03-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #462
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice did I see you just got a lambo?
Got 2 actually - a Countach and a Diablo.
Appreciate 1
wpTXX5116.00