BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Excited! Placed Build Order! Z4 SDrive 30i

05-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Excited! Placed Build Order! Z4 SDrive 30i

Just put in my order for a 2021 Z4 S-Drive 3.0i. Alpine White with the Magma Red interior. M Sports, Premium and Ambient Lighting package. Been wanting a Z4 for 18 years.

5/21 - Placed Order
5/21 - Scheduled for Production
5/26 - Production has started
6/1 - Exterior Body Assembly Started
6/2 - Paint Booth
6/8 - Entering Assembly Line
6/9 - Quality Check
6/10 - Awaiting Carrier Assignment
6/18 - Dispatched from factory (longest and most difficult wait so far)
6/21 - At the port
6/23 - In Transit
7/8 - Back at the port (Galveston) Tracking image was also updated to show "AT THE PORT"
7/11 - Back in Transit (assumingly on its way to the dealer)
7/12 - Arrived at Dealership
7/12 - Delivered!!!!

Now I wait. So glad to see that many of you also posted your builds and build time. It definitely helps those that are still waiting for their builds. I hope to add to that here with this thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by Horseman; 07-12-2021 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Update in status and picture
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
nathanm4683.00
      05-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
tr0406
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Now the waiting begins!!

To give you an idea, mine showed "production begins" on Nov. 4 and arrived at my dealership in New Orleans via Galveston on Dec. 19.

You'll have fun tracking it.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      05-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0406 View Post
Now the waiting begins!!

To give you an idea, mine showed "production begins" on Nov. 4 and arrived at my dealership in New Orleans via Galveston on Dec. 19.

You'll have fun tracking it.
That's good, but my production begins started 03 MAY and still waiting for it to get on a ship to Galveston.

"Fun" is a subjective term based on the individuals' OCD.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Congratulations! It was 13 years between my BMWs. First Z4 here,too. Been a fan since "Goldeneye"! I absolutely love my 30i. Enjoy the tracking.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #5
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Just put in my order for a 2021 Z4 S-Drive 3.0i. Alpine White with the Magma Red interior. M Sports, Premium and Ambient Lighting package. Been wanting a Z4 for 18 years.

5/21 - Placed Order
5/21 - Scheduled for Production

Now I wait. So glad to see that many of you also posted your builds and build time. It definitely helps those that are still waiting for their builds. I hope to add to that here with this thread.
Nice Build! My car is currently enroute from Baltimore to Charleston on the Sirius Highway with a confirmed PCD date of 6/29. Here is my detailed timeline to give you some idea of what you may see:

3/18 - Negotiation complete and deposit placed at dealership. Impatiently waiting on a build allocation.
3/25 - Build allocation assigned. Order Received and tracking in MyBMW. I was told I had a build slot for week 18 (first week in May).
4/16 - Production Begins - I was shocked to see the build started 3 weeks early
4/22 - Exterior assembly begins
4/23 - In Paint Booth
4/26 - Entering Assembly Line
4/27 - Quality Check
4/27 - Awaiting Carrier Assignment
5/4 - Dispatched from Factory
5/5 - At the Port
5/10 - In Transit
5/30 - Estimated arrival at Port Charleston
6/29 - PCD confirmed date
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #6
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Oof three months eh? Forgive me.. what is PCD? How did you find out what your production start date was?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
Quote:
Oof three months eh? Forgive me.. what is PCD? How did you find out what your production start date was?
PCD is Performance Center Delivery. Instead of picking your car up at the dealer, you pick it up at one of the two US Performance Centers. One is on the west coast and one is in Spartanburg SC. There is no additional charge, they put you up the night before in a hotel for you and a guest with dinner and breakfast the next day. They shuttle you to the center where there is a full day of activities including taking you out on the track in a similar car, showing you all your features, etc. There is a separate forum with more detail. Once done at about 3pm you drive your car home, or arrange for it to be transported home on your own dime.

Everything I’ve read indicates it’s an amazing experience. If you can take the time to do it I would go for it.

As for the production start date. Once the order is in the system you can call the BMW genius line and they will get you set up to start tracking your build progress online. I checked it every day and noted each phase in the build timeline I provided. Right now my car is on a ship (the Sirius Highway) from Halifax CA to Baltimore USA, with my car being offloaded in Charleston SC on 5/29. I’m using the free app MarineTracker to see the ships position and to get notified when it arrives at each port along the way. I was given the pickup date of 6/29 directly from the Performance Center several weeks ago. As mentioned above, there is a thread that shows how to track it once it departs the port.

I’ve found tracking the progress an enjoyable part of the process. It makes the waiting a little more tolerable too.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #8
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Horseman congratulations, that is one sharp combo. It will be worth the wait.
You were lucky to get a production slot so quickly.

Charles
      05-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #9
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post

Charles
Considering the grief I'm getting from their finance department... I'm owed that much.

Applied to see if I can get their 0.9% APR (mind you, we have high income and I have an excellent credit score). Never got anything back on the application. Reached out to find out what the result was... and days later Salesman said I got the 0.9% but nothing in writing or official. Started build... still nothing... said I wanted something in writing and Salesman came back stating finance department said 1.9% instead... so now i'm like.. wtf .. what happened? Why would I NOT be able to get the .9? Very frustrated now on that front. (first world problems)

Mind you... it's still GREAT rate, but I really don't like how all this is being handled and the fact that I STILL don't have anything in writing. We made the mistake of forgetting to ask for it while we were there in person. Did alot of our negotiations and discussions at a distance because of my wife's and my schedule. I also want to say ... the Salesman is a good guy, but if he doesn't have the means to discuss such things or promise such things, then should have said so and got me in contact with the finance department. I kind of feel a little misled. But they got my deposit ... we're working other options before committing to BMW financing. I have trust issues with them right now.

Last edited by Horseman; 05-25-2021 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Added a little more.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
Ian J
Rep
Drives: BMW G29 Z4 2.0

Quote:

The production slots are speeding up, at least here in the UK.

When I was discussing placing an order in mid April I was told that delivery would be towards the end of August but when I placed the order a week later i was told that it was more likely to be the end of June.

I've just had an email from the dealer saying that the car is built and all that's left is transportation to the UK and I can probably pick it up mid June
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #11
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J View Post

When I was discussing placing an order in mid April I was told that delivery would be towards the end of August but when I placed the order a week later i was told that it was more likely to be the end of June.

I've just had an email from the dealer saying that the car is built and all that's left is transportation to the UK and I can probably pick it up mid June
That's exciting!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:20 AM   #12
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:

Charles
word up.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #13
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J View Post

Timing is everything. I ordered on 1/03 and the car entered production on 1/09 and was waiting carrier assignment on 1/20. The trip across the Atlantic was six days longer than expected as the ship dodged winter storms. You shouldn't have any issue with that as Southampton is the first stop for many vessels.

Enjoy driving on the wrong side of the road!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #14
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Considering the grief I'm getting from their finance department... I'm owed that much.

Applied to see if I can get their 0.9% APR (mind you, we have high income and I have an excellent credit score). Never got anything back on the application. Reached out to find out what the result was... and days later Salesman said I got the 0.9% but nothing in writing or official. Started build... still nothing... said I wanted something in writing and Salesman came back stating finance department said 1.9% instead... so now i'm like.. wtf .. what happened? Why would I NOT be able to get the .9? Very frustrated now on that front. (first world problems)

Mind you... it's still GREAT rate, but I really don't like how all this is being handled and the fact that I STILL don't have anything in writing. We made the mistake of forgetting to ask for it while we were there in person. Did alot of our negotiations and discussions at a distance because of my wife's and my schedule. I also want to say ... the Salesman is a good guy, but if he doesn't have the means to discuss such things or promise such things, then should have said so and got me in contact with the finance department. I kind of feel a little misled. But they got my deposit ... we're working other options before committing to BMW financing. I have trust issues with them right now.
I'm sure you'll find a solution. The last time I assisted someone buying a car, we went to a local credit union and got a lower rate than the BMW dealer offered. Showed the dealer the lower rate and they matched it.

Charles
      05-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #15
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Not sure how it works now. There was a strategy to timing application when I got my car because approved rate only locked for a certain number of days. Different program, and possibly need to reapply?, came into play depending upon when car arrived.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #16
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
The rate would have been locked in for 60 days with BmW. The issue I have right now is that no one at their finance is giving me anything written to say if I was or wasn’t approved and at what rate. Salesman told me .9 was good to go. It then a week late that changed to 1.9 and I still have nothing in writing. It’s just shady as hell and I hate the dishonesty and lack of customer care at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:55 PM   #17
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
The rate would have been locked in for 60 days with BmW. The issue I have right now is that no one at their finance is giving me anything written to say if I was or wasn’t approved and at what rate. Salesman told me .9 was good to go. It then a week late that changed to 1.9 and I still have nothing in writing. It’s just shady as hell and I hate the dishonesty and lack of customer care at this point.
My store got a 1 page "Approval Notification" they were able to convert to PDF with a reference #, bar code(?), approved tier/terms and other details from BMWFS.

I've read elsewhere that BMWFS allows stores to add up to 1% to the buy rate. If now so, that might account.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #18
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Fight for what was told to you. In Texas, verbal contracts are binding.

Besides, you can always try your bank.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #19
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Fight for what was told to you. In Texas, verbal contracts are binding.

Besides, you can always try your bank.
Yeah I'm tryin to bug them, but no one is responding or calling. Short of me marching into the dealership (which I just don't have time to right now).

Right now we are planning on just going with USAA... just that the pre-approval is only good for 45 days and i'm still in the early stages of the build. Not yet actually IN production. Hoping that Monday it'll start that. When I see it get on the ship I'll hit that up lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #20
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Yeah I'm tryin to bug them, but no one is responding or calling. Short of me marching into the dealership (which I just don't have time to right now).

Right now we are planning on just going with USAA... just that the pre-approval is only good for 45 days and i'm still in the early stages of the build. Not yet actually IN production. Hoping that Monday it'll start that. When I see it get on the ship I'll hit that up lol.
Got USAA too and I advise engaging them when the car is on the water.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #21
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Got USAA too and I advise engaging them when the car is on the water.
I was thinking the same thing. I like USAA just hope their rates will hold out till then. Just so annoyed with the dealership. Whatever...

Fact is... I’m dyin over here with anticipation for my new ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:01 AM   #22
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Who hooo!!! Production has started!!!
Appreciate 0