07-24-2022, 03:13 AM   #1
Bayernzeit
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2022 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
After almost seven months of waiting, my order will finally be delivered this Wednesday. My sales agent provided the invoice and MCO last week in order to register the car ahead of time. It's been interesting to review the codes on the invoice and while most make sense, I'm wondering about 08TN, "DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE BY LIGHTS MENU".

What's selectable here and why would this be its own code? I could change all this on my old 135i Cabrio with bimmercode, but is this a factory option w/ the Z4 as well? I know I can just wait until later this week and maybe it's nothing much, but thought I'd ask.

Also see the iDrive controller is not touch-capable. Thank god the touchscreen is still there; I assume I'm not missing much w/ the controller.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 06:44 AM   #2
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

My guess is, besides what the name implies, is that different countries have different requirements for DRL: some may be required at all time (in which case you would not have this option), or some allow you to select when they come on.

A lot of the options, from what I’ve seen, aren’t really options per-se, but give the factory instructions on what to add/enable/disable etc. based on destination.
      07-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #3
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayernzeit View Post
After almost seven months of waiting, my order will finally be delivered this Wednesday. My sales agent provided the invoice and MCO last week in order to register the car ahead of time. It's been interesting to review the codes on the invoice and while most make sense, I'm wondering about 08TN, "DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE BY LIGHTS MENU".

What's selectable here and why would this be its own code? I could change all this on my old 135i Cabrio with bimmercode, but is this a factory option w/ the Z4 as well? I know I can just wait until later this week and maybe it's nothing much, but thought I'd ask.

Also see the iDrive controller is not touch-capable. Thank god the touchscreen is still there; I assume I'm not missing much w/ the controller.
DAAAAMN!!! I thought I got it good with a $2,500 military discount. You got over 6500!!?? Holy moly!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
getbfuller
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Quote:

DAAAAMN!!! I thought I got it good with a $2,500 military discount. You got over 6500!!?? Holy moly!
When you are stationed or deployed outside the US you can order through military sales and get that kind of a discount. One of the few advantages when you are away from home.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbfuller View Post
When you are stationed or deployed outside the US you can order through military sales and get that kind of a discount. One of the few advantages when you are away from home.
Well, definitely won't be "away from home" anymore lol. This old retired fart isn't planning on deploying or getting stationed overseas any time soon. :P
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #6
getbfuller
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Quote:
Well, definitely won't be "away from home" anymore lol. This old retired fart isn't planning on deploying or getting stationed overseas any time soon. :P
Same here
Appreciate 2
Horseman4131.50
      07-24-2022, 03:03 PM   #7
Cliffj335
ANG Retired
Rep
Drives: 22 Z4 M40i Alpine/Magma

Quote:
Same here
Add me to that non-deploying retired list. I went some great places though.
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2022, 03:32 PM   #8
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:

To answer your original question: on US spec Z4, you can disable the daylight running lights in the settings menu. See pic.

Touch enabled controller surface - can be really useful if you use the BMW integrated navigation and write letters and numbers with it. But the voice recognition is so good, I virtually never use it. The bigger issue is that the map hasn't been updated for a while and I rely more on Apple Maps and Google Maps anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-24-2022, 04:17 PM   #9
Bayernzeit
Private
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2022 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:

To answer your original question: on US spec Z4, you can disable the daylight running lights in the settings menu. See pic.

Touch enabled controller surface - can be really useful if you use the BMW integrated navigation and write letters and numbers with it. But the voice recognition is so good, I virtually never use it. The bigger issue is that the map hasn't been updated for a while and I rely more on Apple Maps and Google Maps anyway.
Quote:
Quote:

Great response and thanks! I'll be relying on CarPlay for nav as well; had to choose euro maps or US maps when I ordered here in Germany, with the choice being final I was told. I chose US maps knowing I'll be back in a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #10
Bayernzeit
Private
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2022 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffj335 View Post
Quote:
Same here
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffj335 View Post
Quote:
Same here
Congrats to all of you for earning your retirement, that's a significant accomplishment. Four more years before I can consider it. I won't miss combat deployments, but a three-year tour with the Army in Bavaria, and with my family too? 👍 One year left for us to enjoy the Z4 here.
Appreciate 2
StanDiego6248.50
      07-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #11
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Congrats to all of you for earning your retirement, that's a significant accomplishment. Four more years before I can consider it. I won't miss combat deployments, but a three-year tour with the Army in Bavaria, and with my family too? 👍 One year left for us to enjoy the Z4 here.
Yeah it's a good feeling. Ironically, I'm doing more for the branch of service I was a part of as a civilian than I was as a uniformed member. :P Same environment, alot less BS to worry about lol. Hope you can sit back, put the top down and enjoy that "freedom."
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 10:32 PM   #12
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Regarding DRL, some additional context: Canada has aligned their emissions standards with the US but other regulations such as DRL differ. Canada requires DRL to turn on when the vehicle turns on. BMW can build essentially identical vehicles for both markets and control the minor regulation differences via software.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2022, 12:16 AM   #13
Bayernzeit
Private
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2022 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Regarding DRL, some additional context: Canada has aligned their emissions standards with the US but other regulations such as DRL differ. Canada requires DRL to turn on when the vehicle turns on. BMW can build essentially identical vehicles for both markets and control the minor regulation differences via software.
Quote:
Good point. Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 06:51 AM   #14
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
I have often wondered why DRL are not standard here in the US. I have the box checked in both of my BMW's.
Appreciate 2
stlcdr1014.50