BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum remote software upgrade mybmw help

05-16-2023, 08:11 AM   #45
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Also the contacts, calendars and camera.
Contacts and calendar I could see. Can you sync those to the navigation system (for like addresses and appointments)? I think I could do that in my Audi.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:31 AM   #46
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Also the contacts, calendars and camera.
I'm unsure on the camera, probably so you can take a photo to add to MyBMW as your profile photo, but of course you can turn it all off.

Personally, I find it very convenient to have my contacts available on CarPlay so that I don't have to manually dial the number (which you can't do while driving). Also, it's nice to see who is calling by name. These days, I don't have many phone numbers memorized. I also find the calendar convenient though I don't make use of it often. Different strokes for different folks. It's nice that Apple allows us to choose what we share.

As for the difference in screen display, probably because of a different IOS version. I'm running 16.5 (20F66), sorry for any confusion but that's why I circled Network.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:36 AM   #47
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
I'm unsure on the camera but of course you can turn contacts and calendar off if you don't want them synced to CarPlay.

Personally, I find it very convenient to have my contacts available on CarPlay so that I don't have to manually dial the number (which you can't do while driving). Also, it's nice to see who is calling by name. These days, I don't have many phone numbers memorized. I also find the calendar convenient though I don't make use of it often. Different strokes for different folks. It's nice that Apple allows us to choose what we share.

As for the difference in screen display, probably because of a different IOS version. I'm running 16.5 (20F66), sorry for any confusion but that's why I circled Network.
This is different from CarPlay though. This is the MyBMW app. I don’t have those settings options showing, but CarPlay works fine with calendars/contracts.
Appreciate 2
StanDiego6248.50
      05-16-2023, 11:59 AM   #48
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
This is different from CarPlay though. This is the MyBMW app. I don’t have those settings options showing, but CarPlay works fine with calendars/contracts.
That's a good point. I use CarPlay almost exclusively so probably wouldn't need that info to be fed to BMW's corresponding apps/functions. On the other hand, it doesn't alarm me to share it but, of course, standard security practices are to limit to "need to know".

Unfortunately, due to lack of clarity, that's why Network typically gets turned off, because many don't realize Local Network is required for software updates. Wouldn't it be nice if the apps clearly stated why they needed such access?
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1460.00
      05-16-2023, 12:31 PM   #49
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Does anyone know what the update covers?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #50
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Does anyone know what the update covers?
It's listed earlier in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 08:30 PM   #51
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
I'm still having issues getting it to upgrade, The permissions are enabled on my phone, tried parking brake and nothing. I get the this message, see pic. it is the same message I got for the last upgrade. The dealer even had trouble getting the previous upgrade to load. Any other suggestions?
Visited the dealer today, got an oil change and brake fluid flush. They were able to successfully update the software. They said the battery was low therefore it wasn’t uploading. They hooked it up to a charger and were able to do the update. The car being a 2019 with only 8000 miles is probably why the battery is not healthy

The software revision is now 03/2023.45
      05-16-2023, 11:26 PM   #52
Matthewstorm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Ensure "Local Network" is enabled in the MyBMW app settings.

Attachment 3182208
I have only about 4 of these. Network is not one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:47 PM   #53
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewstorm View Post
I have only about 4 of these. Network is not one of them.
That's strange. are you using an iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 02:19 PM   #54
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
So tried everything recommended and no go. Just took to dealer. Battery was fine and they found a fault, something called I level was out of date so they updated it and should have no issues installing in the future.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2023, 03:02 PM   #55
sthebody
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Visited the dealer today, got an oil change and brake fluid flush. They were able to successfully update the software. They said the battery was low therefore it wasn’t uploading. They hooked it up to a charger and were able to do the update. The car being a 2019 with only 8000 miles is probably why the battery is not healthy

The software revision is now 03/2023.45
Did the dealership charge you for the software update? I'm in the same boat as you were, can't get the update to finish after it was uploaded to the car (11/2022.60). I have been waiting for the update to finish up for over a month now. Now I am 3 weeks out of warranty. Dealership wants $348 to do the update.

My car hasn't been driven much either so I will try charging the battery and see if that helps move things along.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 04:21 PM   #56
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthebody View Post
Did the dealership charge you for the software update? I'm in the same boat as you were, can't get the update to finish after it was uploaded to the car (11/2022.60). I have been waiting for the update to finish up for over a month now. Now I am 3 weeks out of warranty. Dealership wants $348 to do the update.

My car hasn't been driven much either so I will try charging the battery and see if that helps move things along.
The dealership did not charge me, I am still under warranty till September. That’s a crazy number $384.
      06-12-2023, 04:55 PM   #57
sthebody
Registered
Rep

Quote:
The dealership did not charge me, I am still under warranty till September. That’s a crazy number $384.
Thanks for the reply. I should've went into the dealership when it first wouldn't install. I was still under warranty then. 2 hours @ $192/hr my local dealership says.

Once resolved the next step is to turn off Remote Software Updates so I am not tempted again.
Appreciate 1
Christos188.50
      06-12-2023, 06:25 PM   #58
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthebody View Post
Thanks for the reply. I should've went into the dealership when it first wouldn't install. I was still under warranty then. 2 hours @ $192/hr my local dealership says.

Once resolved the next step is to turn off Remote Software Updates so I am not tempted again.
Why don't you lodge a complaint with BMW USA about being charged by your local dealer to perform the update? You never know what will happen and you might get lucky.
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1460.00
      06-13-2023, 02:05 AM   #59
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Last update I got with the bmw app was 03/2023.50. A couple of weeks ago.
      06-13-2023, 10:25 AM   #60
sthebody
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Why don't you lodge a complaint with BMW USA about being charged by your local dealer to perform the update? You never know what will happen and you might get lucky.
Charged my battery full, made sure the other 20 prerequisite conditions are met, and still can't get the update to install.

I think I will contact BMW of NA. To me it doesn't make sense I should have to pay to fix this. The owner's manual recommends you install these updates when available and I am pretty sure the update notification recommended I install it as well. I don't remember reading any language that said "update at your own risk" other than some language about possibly losing your performance tune. Plus, I was still under warranty when the update failed which is easily verifiable.

On the other hand it isn't like the failed update is making my car undriveable or causing any other issues and BMW won't give a hoot I want to install a tune, so I imagine they will tell me to just ignore it or pay to have it fixed.

I wouldn't even worry about it except I want to throw a tune on it. We need to send the DME off to Dinan to unlock it so this tune is going to be kind of a hassle. With my luck I'd have the tune done and then the software update would install immediately after and override the tune. Not sure if I'd have to send the DME back to Dinan to unlock it again, but I would have to pay the shop $155 for another tune.

I'll give them a call, like you said I might get lucky.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2023, 02:49 PM   #61
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Thanks to Stan for calling out that local network access has to be enabled for the MyBMW app on iPhone.

Before I saw this, I noted on a couple of consecutive weekends (only time I drive the Z4) that the update was ready, and I had the 3 green connectivity lights in the app but the update never progressed past state 2 (out of 3).

After enabling the local network access toggle, I took it for a drive today and the app showed it was at stage 3, ready to transfer the download to the car which it did while I was out on a short errand.

Just went down to the garage, where the car is parked on a level surface with the parking brake set, and initiated the upgrade, which is supposed to take about 20 minutes. Will go back into the garage in a half an hour or so to see how it's doing.

The whole process, of requiring use of my phone to download and transfer and with specific settings enabled that the app could have called out but didn't, seems ridiculously fiddly to me. The prior upgrade didn't require my phone at all; nor did I have to initiate the update - it just installed itself overnight.

Quote:
When I look at the settings in my iPhone 12 Pro the screen looks different from yours. I am running the phone on iOS version 16.4.1 (a).
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6248.50
      06-17-2023, 04:29 PM   #62
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Gonna break everybody's hearts. Yesterday got a notice on my phone to download the 03/2023.50 prep set. Did that last night.

Got in the car today for some honey do'es & top up the tank, was at 1/2 after the ride home yesterday. System told me to DL the prep into the car.

That was done as I rode around. Got a message to OK install when I parked. Came home locked the car. When I went part chasing later in the day the new software was in. My 5 blinks was not over written this time.

Was very painless

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1460.00
      06-17-2023, 04:46 PM   #63
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Generally, I don't care very much about software updates, since in my experience they're as likely to break new things as they are to fix existing problems (to wit: the latest iOS 16.5 for an iPad broke charging unless I use a USB C to lightning cable).

However, I have noticed some weird Carplay issues that I am hoping the 11/2022 update fixes. Specifically, my iPhone doesn't always reconnect with the car if I'm getting in and out of the car frequently while making a series of short trips or frequent stops.

Re: the 3/2023 update, the MyBMW app and iDrive are giving me a break for the moment, only telling me that the 11/2022 update succeeded and everything is right with the world. No doubt I will get a notice for the latest update in a day or two. As long as I don't have to change any phone settings again, applying should be a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Gonna break everybody's hearts. Yesterday got a notice on my phone to download the 03/2023.50 prep set. Did that last night.

Got in the car today for some honey do'es & top up the tank, was at 1/2 after the ride home yesterday. System told me to DL the prep into the car.

That was done as I rode around. Got a message to OK install when I parked. Came home locked the car. When I went part chasing later in the day the new software was in. My 5 blinks was not over written this time.

Was very painless
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2023, 04:59 PM   #64
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Generally, I don't care very much about software updates, since in my experience they're as likely to break new things as they are to fix existing problems (to wit: the latest iOS 16.5 for an iPad broke charging unless I use a USB C to lightning cable).

However, I have noticed some weird Carplay issues that I am hoping the 11/2022 update fixes. Specifically, my iPhone doesn't always reconnect with the car if I'm getting in and out of the car frequently while making a series of short trips or frequent stops.

Re: the 3/2023 update, the MyBMW app and iDrive are giving me a break for the moment, only telling me that the 11/2022 update succeeded and everything is right with the world. No doubt I will get a notice for the latest update in a day or two. As long as I don't have to change any phone settings again, applying should be a non-issue.
What you are saying kind of reminds me of how I approach software upgrades on my iPhone, I like to wait. There are usually bugs in each new major update which is why when Apple recently released iOS 16.5 you have the feeling that 16.6 is right around the corner.
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1460.00
      06-17-2023, 11:18 PM   #65
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What you are saying kind of reminds me of how I approach software upgrades on my iPhone, I like to wait. There are usually bugs in each new major update which is why when Apple recently released iOS 16.5 you have the feeling that 16.6 is right around the corner.
When it comes to software updates, I tend to live vicariously. I've been running Windows betas for years, Apple tvOS 17, iOS 16.6 beta 3, watchOS 9.5.1, and haven't been bitten yet, just an occasional minor irritant. tvOS 17 was an accident, somehow chose developer beta instead of public beta. I know it'll eventually bite me but I've been a techie all my life, worked IT for decades so most problems are just challenges.

As for BMW's s/w updates, I don't think it's fair to compare them with Apple device updates. Considering they can impact safety, I suspect our vehicles' s/w updates have a higher level of scrutiny though perhaps not so much for infotainment updates. FWIW, iOS 16.6 is running CarPlay smoothly on my Z4 and my Subaru Outback though I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on iOS 17 on my iPhone yet because major version updates can cause issues with CarPlay that may take a while for car manufacturers to catch up with, minor version updates not so much.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 08:27 AM   #66
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Nonetheless, rare doesn't mean zero.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1974314

OTA software updates have introduced a new way to break or change functionality that worked prior to the update. There's no getting around that.

That said, I'm not so concerned with the risk of a bad update that I'm not going to accept them. They're part of the service model for the vehicle and therefore inevitable. I'm not going to be the first person to apply updates, but I will apply them.

Quote:
I've been a techie all my life, worked IT for decades so most problems are just challenges.
And here's where we may differ philosophically: On my own time, I am not interested in being drafted as an unpaid worker to help BMW or Apple or anyone else make their products better. I just want my stuff to work when I want to use it, and work the same way it worked the last time I used it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to experiment or play with new tech if that's something you enjoy, but the average consumer should not become obligated, with the purchase of a new product with a software component, to become an obligatory software tester.
Appreciate 0