07-11-2023, 08:44 PM   #23
MWhiteG20
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
If I don't hold the switch long enough, I get the top not locked message.
Definitely held it long enough haha. I use my top frequently so I knew it was odd when the car still had not pinged a notification saying the top was latched.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:47 PM   #24
MWhiteG20
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
If possible you should request a copy of this service bulletin from your SA and post it on this thread so everyone will be able to reference it in case they encounter the same issue.
Updating on that…
So I called today to see what was going on. They had done the service measure and still had not fixed the vehicle. They had told me that the issue they have now found is that there are two electric motors that locks the top either when open and or closed. Those electric motors have sensors integrated with them. My problem is that the motor that latches the top when I have it open is not working. They had ordered the part and I was told that it will take roughly a month maybe even more just for the part.
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2023, 10:36 AM   #25
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Can you still drive with the top down or will it rub because its not latched?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 11:04 AM   #26
MWhiteG20
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Can you still drive with the top down or will it rub because its not latched?
Have not attempted because the vehicle will regardless chime to let me know that it isn’t latched. So have just been driving the past week or so and more to come without dropping the top.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 12:27 PM   #27
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhiteG20 View Post
Updating on that…
So I called today to see what was going on. They had done the service measure and still had not fixed the vehicle. They had told me that the issue they have now found is that there are two electric motors that locks the top either when open and or closed. Those electric motors have sensors integrated with them. My problem is that the motor that latches the top when I have it open is not working. They had ordered the part and I was told that it will take roughly a month maybe even more just for the part.
A month sounds like an awfully long time and you should ask your SA if this is because of a parts shortage. If some of this delay is being caused by the method they are using to ship the part you need to insist that they should be shipping it to your dealer by air.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #28
BEAR-AvHistory
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A month sounds like an awfully long time and you should ask your SA if this is because of a parts shortage. If some of this delay is being caused by the method they are using to ship the part you need to insist that they should be shipping it to your dealer by air.
Had a similar time for 340 engine mounts shipped in from Germany.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 12:51 PM   #29
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Had a similar time for 340 engine mounts shipped in from Germany.
If the parts are in stock, shouldn’t they be flying them into the US?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 04:12 AM   #30
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
A month? I ordered an oil pressure sensor for my vette last Monday from Florida and I received it in Spain today, 3 days.You pay a little bit more but is fast. Around 90$ from the US to Europe. 🧐🧐
      07-13-2023, 08:09 AM   #31
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeo View Post
A month? I ordered an oil pressure sensor for my vette last Monday from Florida and I received it in Spain today, 3 days.You pay a little bit more but is fast. Around 90$ from the US to Europe. 🧐🧐
As long as the OP's Z4 is still under the factory warranty BMW should be paying for the shipping cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 09:15 AM   #32
MWhiteG20
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
As long as the OP's Z4 is still under the factory warranty BMW should be paying for the shipping cost.
Yep still under warranty. I do agree that a month is long to wait. But I’m fine with waiting since my vehicle does still work. In the sense of driving haha. And anyways here in Florida the weather has been higher than ever so don’t mind not opening top for a little while
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 10:03 AM   #33
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhiteG20 View Post
Yep still under warranty. I do agree that a month is long to wait. But I’m fine with waiting since my vehicle does still work. In the sense of driving haha. And anyways here in Florida the weather has been higher than ever so don’t mind not opening top for a little while

IMHO, you should ask the dealers what the shipping method is.

I am also in Florida and during this heatwave I am only putting the top down after dark as I don't feel like melting when the sun is out.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2023, 12:10 PM   #34
BEAR-AvHistory
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If the parts are in stock, shouldn’t they be flying them into the US?
Have no idea what they are doing. Had an early 8ZF transmission replaced after a trucks jack shaft took it out. Insurance paid $18,000 along with the electric steering gear that was also trashed. Also took a month to get it.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:56 AM   #35
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
IMHO, you should ask the dealers what the shipping method is.

I am also in Florida and during this heatwave I am only putting the top down after dark as I don't feel like melting when the sun is out.
Stuff that comes from Germany is always slow. The soft top control module for my first Z4 M40i failed and the replacement part took 8 weeks to arrive (2021). I could still drive the car, but not open the roof.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:54 PM   #36
z4monster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by z4monster View Post
I started to get this a couple of weeks ago. I've been on holiday without the car so haven't tried it over the last 3 weeks. As you say, roof is fully down but it doesn't complete the process as the windows don't raise at the end. Going back to closed position is fine and completes OK.
Now I'm back home, I'm going to book it in with the dealer if it's still happening.
UPDATE TIME!!

So the car went in to my local dealer for investigation on the Roof not Locked issue when it's down.

Went in Wednesday morning and they still had it Friday. Had updates each day on progress (not much it seems)

Luckily they loaned me a car (218i GranCoupe :sick: ) so at least I'm still mobile.

Friday afternoon they give me an update. They had to open a case with BMW as the Technician could not fully identify the fault. BMW advised the next course of action was to order a complete new roof frame!

Unfortunately, this will take 10 days to arrive from Germany. WTF I could drive there and back quicker than that.

Fortunately BMW are hiring me a car from Enterprise for the duration so the dealer can get their courtesy car back.

Unfortunately Enterprise can't get me an Auto until later this week. So I'm in an X1 1.8i MANUAL until they can swap it out.

Also Unfortunately, the front wheels have almost no tread on them (still legal but only just) so they will be getting a call tomorrow to advise them of this and then asking for a better car ASAP.

Hopefully the Technician will be able to fit the roof correctly and have no issues once the new frame arrives.

I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 2
stlcdr1014.50
      08-14-2023, 10:56 PM   #37
MWhiteG20
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE TIME!!

So the car went in to my local dealer for investigation on the Roof not Locked issue when it's down.

Went in Wednesday morning and they still had it Friday. Had updates each day on progress (not much it seems)

Luckily they loaned me a car (218i GranCoupe :sick: ) so at least I'm still mobile.

Friday afternoon they give me an update. They had to open a case with BMW as the Technician could not fully identify the fault. BMW advised the next course of action was to order a complete new roof frame!

Unfortunately, this will take 10 days to arrive from Germany. WTF I could drive there and back quicker than that.

Fortunately BMW are hiring me a car from Enterprise for the duration so the dealer can get their courtesy car back.

Unfortunately Enterprise can't get me an Auto until later this week. So I'm in an X1 1.8i MANUAL until they can swap it out.

Also Unfortunately, the front wheels have almost no tread on them (still legal but only just) so they will be getting a call tomorrow to advise them of this and then asking for a better car ASAP.

Hopefully the Technician will be able to fit the roof correctly and have no issues once the new frame arrives.

I will keep you posted.
Wow didn’t think it would be a new frame. My car is currently at the dealer with the part that I had been waiting a month or so finally being delivered last Saturday. Had gotten an update today and was told they may have to order another part. Waiting to hear a update tomorrow morning. At least they put me in a 430i convertible for the time being.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 01:13 PM   #38
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
This happen on a test drive a week ago

I put the top up and down, it went away
      08-26-2023, 09:04 PM   #39
MWhiteG20
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE TIME!!

I will keep you posted.
Any update on if the part fixed the problem? Currently still waiting for mine. Supposedly a magnet I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 07:31 PM   #40
z4monster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
So went to pick up the car on Wednesday after almost three weeks without it.

Gave the hire back to Enterprise, then went to Dealer and was given a breakdown of the work. They replaced the ENTIRE ROOF! I thought they were just doing the frame and not the fabrics. Probably better to replace the whole lot in one unit anyway.

Service assistant takes me out to my car and I check it for any damage that they might have caused. All looks OK.

Tried to lower the roof with the Key and it moves OK but the flaps covering the mechanism are very slow to close.

Then started the car and tried from the button inside. Not much better from there. Tried it once again from the key and the flaps are really really slow and the roof doesn't appear to have gone into the right place anyway. There is a ledge between the roof and the hoops/Windbreak area which wasn't there before the work.

So the car is back in the workshop again for further work. The dealer has lent me a 230e Active Tourer Hybrid. Not as perky as the M240i coupe but quite a nice drive. At least I get to try the Idrive8 and the new dash arrangement.

No idea when mine will be back but would rather have it right than faulty.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 09:18 PM   #41
MWhiteG20
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So went to pick up the car on Wednesday after almost three weeks without it.

Gave the hire back to Enterprise, then went to Dealer and was given a breakdown of the work. They replaced the ENTIRE ROOF! I thought they were just doing the frame and not the fabrics. Probably better to replace the whole lot in one unit anyway.

Service assistant takes me out to my car and I check it for any damage that they might have caused. All looks OK.

Tried to lower the roof with the Key and it moves OK but the flaps covering the mechanism are very slow to close.

Then started the car and tried from the button inside. Not much better from there. Tried it once again from the key and the flaps are really really slow and the roof doesn't appear to have gone into the right place anyway. There is a ledge between the roof and the hoops/Windbreak area which wasn't there before the work.

So the car is back in the workshop again for further work. The dealer has lent me a 230e Active Tourer Hybrid. Not as perky as the M240i coupe but quite a nice drive. At least I get to try the Idrive8 and the new dash arrangement.

No idea when mine will be back but would rather have it right than faulty.
Agreed. Better done right then to leave with the car like that. I’m also going into my third week soon without the car. Seems like they had first looked into the frame or maybe the entire roof? Not to sure but ended up ordering what seems to be a magnet. Hopefully that will fix it.
Regardless I hope you get your vehicle back in good working order!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 12:32 PM   #42
z4monster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Final Update (Hopefully)

Got the call from the dealer this morning to say my car was now fixed, tested and finally ready for collection. 5 weeks after first diagnosis of the fault.

Went over just after lunch to be greeted by my car sat in the carpark, right outside the entrance. All cleaned and looking as sexy as ever.

Checked the car over visually and everything looked OK. Roof seemed to be sealed correctly against the door windows and looked perfect (but it did last time too)

Had a quick snoop around the showroom while I waited for the service assistant to come out to me.

Nice M2 in white (nah not for me), M4 coupe (Fantastic Matt Indigo Blue but white interior) and X3M comp (Skyscraper Grey and black pack)

Finally she came out and took me to the car. She explained that the tech had removed and completely refitted the roof again after my last visit. They hadn't found any specific fault with it but noticed that the cable which pulled the flaps shut on opening was misplaced on one side. Once refitted back on the car and correctly aligned (was a bit clunky on the header rail last time) the roof performed perfectly.

Tried it from the key and also from the button and it did exactly what it should every time. Thank God for that!

Finally back in my own motor once again.

I did make a cheeky comment about what compensation I might get for it taking so long to sort out. I was hoping for maybe a free or reduced service when it needs to go in. She said she would see what she could do and email me.
After I got home she has done just that and offered to pay up to £350 towards whatever I want. Not what I expected to be honest but a very nice gesture.

So I think a new dash cam might just be in order.
Appreciate 8
StanDiego6248.50
Timdon161.00
PSQ777184.50
Argo700.00
stlcdr1014.50
      09-12-2023, 03:45 PM   #43
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
After I got home she has done just that and offered to pay up to £350 towards whatever I want. Not what I expected to be honest but a very nice gesture.
That is better than some dealers would offer.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 04:01 PM   #44
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
That is better than some dealers would offer.
Indeed, but it's always worth a try. A few years ago, I had a problem with the rear hatch on a Ford SUV, took them 3 tries to repair it properly. I called the district office and advised them of my disappointment. They offered me their best and longest extended warranty package free of charge, which did indeed soften the blow.
Appreciate 0