BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 custom build questions: wheels, trim, and sound

08-11-2023, 12:39 PM   #23
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
If your primary concern with wheel size is road comfort, forget it. You likely wouldn't notice the difference. I had the same concern when shopping for mine, ultimately went with 19s and am very happy with ride comfort.
Appreciate 3
Horseman4131.50
Cliffj335126.00
      08-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #24
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_444 View Post
As for the wheels, if sidewall height was of no concern, the 799 wheels are outstanding in person and go oh so well with your linked build. The cerium wheels are also fantastic, but if you go with those, I would pass on the shadowline packages. The cerium trim match with the wheels makes this build pop. Black trim/black wheels. Cerium wheels/cerium trim. You cannot go wrong here.
I saw the 800M cerium wheels in the shadowline package on a couple of YouTube videos reviewing the 2023 Z4 M40i (I'm what I'm sure was a press car that got passed around) and thought it looked good, but now that you mention it I do see the color difference, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_444 View Post
Let us know what you end up going with!
Will do!
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 12:41 PM   #25
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
If your primary concern with wheel size is road comfort, forget it. You likely wouldn't notice the difference. I had the same concern when shopping for mine, ultimately went with 19s and am very happy with ride comfort.
Thanks, that's a good point. I think any of them will feel more compliant compared to my current Boxster anyway.
Appreciate 2
Horseman4131.50
      08-11-2023, 12:52 PM   #26
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenGX View Post
sound:
if you want to put in an aftermarket system eventually, it costs about 500$ more for the HK because you need a special conversion cable (unless you plan on cutting the original wires), not needed for the regular system.

I don't know how much difference there is between the regular system and the HK.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcdr View Post
Sound, as you note, HK is seen as a bit lacking, but adequate. If you are a stickler for audio, get the base and upgrade (as noted, it’s a bit more money, but you’ll end up with a system closer to your liking). If you aren’t concerned with doing that, just get the HK - it is what it is.
Got it. I would prefer to not have to mess with aftermarket audio. I do care about audio quality in general. I have a fairly nice stereo system at home (NAD M10 and Wharfedale EVO 4.4, in case anyone cares) but I think I'm more interested in it sounding good than it being loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
As far as the sound... There's quite a bit of discussion about the difference between the stock and the upgraded HK systems. The concensus is that the upgraded HK system sounds good, but perhaps not nearly as good as some would hope. I can attest that the stock system is a damn good system and sounds great. If you're looking to save 875 bucks... I'd say this is a worthy place to do it.
That's very insightful. I know I'm not going to get optimal sound in a convertible anyway so if the base system is "good enough" that's encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
perhaps it isn't the best system in cars being sold by BMW today but I like my HK system. I personally think it is a matter of playing with the settings and selecting the correct music source to achieve the sound that you like.
Good to know, would you say the HK system has more settings to play with than the base one? Or is it just a couple more speakers and a beefier amp?

Also, does it have speed-dependent volume? (My wife's S5 Sportback has it and it's a very nice feature, I'm always adjusting the volume on my Boxster based on my speed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
HK added power is a big difference but I'm partial to base system clarity and very happy with it. Suggest comparing systems in other current models.
It's a bit hard to cross-compare between different models because they all have different base and upgraded speaker configurations anyway.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      08-11-2023, 12:54 PM   #27
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
HK does have more setting options than the base system. You can tweak individual bands on the HK system. Also, yes on the speed dependent volume.
Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
      08-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #28
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
HK does have more setting options than the base system. You can tweak individual bands on the HK system. Also, yes on the speed dependent volume.
I want the bass to PUNCH and melodies to soar...
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 01:00 PM   #29
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am not fan of the Aluminum Mesh or Aluminum Tetragon trim as in my opinion they don't pop or have the "wow" factor when you look at the interior, especially when the top is down. When I had Xpel PPF put on my car I also had my shop cover the black high gloss trim with PPF. I love the classy look and just keep a microfiber cloth in the glove compartment to occasionally remove dust or fingerprints.
Thanks, good idea on the microfiber (going to need it for the trim around the screen and HVAC anyway).

Quote:
Both of my Z4 builds have the aluminium mesh. You don't need to worry about scratches on the piano black that will likely drive you NUTS. The tetragon is cool, but ... imo looks too much like lizard scales. The Aluminum mesh and Tetragon are going to be much easier to keep clean ... but may get a little warmer in the summer months.
Yeah I was set on the tetragon initially as I'm a sucker for patterned designs, but saw it on a CPO at one of my local dealers and thought it didn't look as sharp as I hoped (though touching it did feel very nice).
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 01:01 PM   #30
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
IMHO, what the HK system is really lacking is that deep bass that you will hear in some other cars. Case in point, I had a Bose system in a 2004 CLK500 convertible that I used to blast and really loved.

The bottom line is that if you don't intend to do an upgrade later on with an after market system the HK does a very reasonable job.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 01:03 PM   #31
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I personally think that the roads where I live are not wonderful but I don't have any issues with the ride on my 19 inch non runflat tires (Michelin Pilot SS). You should really consider getting them with either style of the Jet Black wheels and the Shadowline package. This black accent to the exterior gives the Z4 a more aggressive look that a hot looking roadster deserves to have!
Thanks, black wheels are not for me. I think it makes them lose some of the apparent depth and I do like the dish look.

Quote:
You haven't mentioned them but the red brake calipers provide a nice contrast to the exterior and pop as opposed to the blue ones that don't make any statement.
Ah yeah I wasn't sure about that, kept it blue to match the paint, but I can see the "pop" working too, especially since it would match "M colors".
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 01:06 PM   #32
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Thanks, black wheels are not for me. I think it makes them lose some of the apparent depth and I do like the dish look.

Ah yeah I wasn't sure about that, kept it blue to match the paint, but I can see the "pop" working too, especially since it would match "M colors".
The wheel color is very subjective and if you like it now, you will love it later.

The build link you posted showed Portimao Blue, if that is the case the blue calipers will be totally lost when you look at the car. The red calipers do pop and are a really nice accent color. My Misano Blue color is brighter than PB and I always get compliments on the red calipers.
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6248.50
      08-11-2023, 01:09 PM   #33
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I also don't care for black wheels, as I feel they just get lost with the tires. The 799Ms are nice because the insides are black, but you still have some color. Adds a nice depth to it.

Appreciate 3
Argo697.00
Namakan21.00
      08-11-2023, 01:17 PM   #34
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I also don't care for black wheels, as I feel they just get lost with the tires. The 799Ms are nice because the insides are black, but you still have some color. Adds a nice depth to it.
Thanks for the detailed photo. How's the brake dust on the black parts of the wheel?

p.s. That's a nice looking spec!
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 01:18 PM   #35
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Now I'm also having second thoughts on the Moonlight roof top. Since I'm getting the shadowline package black might look better next to the trims and mirror caps.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 01:24 PM   #36
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now I'm also having second thoughts on the Moonlight roof top. Since I'm getting the shadowline package black might look better next to the trims and mirror caps.
I haven't noticed brake dust as a big issue, though I usually wash the car every week/other week.

I have the Shadowline pack with the Moonlight top. I just realized I have no pictures of the car with the top up to post for you, but I think it looks good. The top has a really nice texture/shimmer to it. I was on the fence about it, but am glad I got it. There's someone in my building who has a Z4 with the standard black top, and when I've parked next to him made me glad I got the Moonlight one.

Last edited by RigaTony1982; 08-11-2023 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: I can't type today
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 01:30 PM   #37
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't noticed brake dust as a big issue, though I usually wash the car every week/other week.

I have the Shadowline pack with the Moonlight top. I just realized I have no pictures of the car with the top up to post for you, but I think it looks good. The top has a really nice texture/shimmer to it. I was on the fence about it, but am glad I got it. There's someone in my building who has a Z4 with the standard black top, and when I've parked next to him made me glad I got the Moonlight one.
I have the standard black top and now wish it was the Moonlight top. Portimao Blue will go nicely with the texture/ shimmer effect that RigaTony1982 has described to you.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 01:36 PM   #38
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have the standard black top and now wish it was the Moonlight top. Portimao Blue will go nicely with the texture/ shimmer effect that RigaTony1982 has described to you.
Oh yeah. I just noticed he posted his build. 100% on the Moonlight with PB. It's about the cheapest option out there too. Well worth it.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 01:36 PM   #39
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed photo. How's the brake dust on the black parts of the wheel?

p.s. That's a nice looking spec!
Brake dust insane, just so you know. Probably the worst I've experienced with any car. SO MUCH SO... I actually asked around and they said it's pretty typical of BMWs. Hence the reason why I'm opting for the new LCI wheels. they are all black, but I like the V-spoke as it should be a little easier to clean (no small crevices).
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1460.00
Argo697.00
      08-11-2023, 01:38 PM   #40
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The moonlight still looks black. Check out the PB Blue thread here. He has the moonlight top with shadowline. This is actually the same build i'm getting lol.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2030411
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 01:40 PM   #41
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Brake dust insane, just so you know. Probably the worst I've experienced with any car. SO MUCH SO... I actually asked around and they said it's pretty typical of BMWs. Hence the reason why I'm opting for the new LCI wheels. they are all black, but I like the V-spoke as it should be a little easier to clean (no small crevices).
You wash your car at home and should really consider having your shop put ceramic coating on your wheels when you do the PPF / ceramic work on the paint. This will help to cut down on the brake dust.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      08-11-2023, 01:40 PM   #42
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The moonlight still looks black. Check out the PB Blue thread here. He has the moonlight top with shadowline. This is actually the same build i'm getting lol.

Yeah, but you can clearly see the metallic shimmer on here. That's a pretty good picture of it.

Edit: Here's a PB with the standard black top. IMO the Moonlight looks better with this color.

https://www.bmwofmyrtlebeach.com/new...bcd94b3aca.htm
Appreciate 2
Horseman4131.50
      08-11-2023, 01:43 PM   #43
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You wash your car at home and should really consider having your shop put ceramic coating on your wheels when you do the PPF / ceramic work on the paint. This will help to cut down on the brake dust.
I do have ceramic on the wheels hahaha! Still gets pretty dusty, but dirty water just rolls off of it.

Yes you can see the shimmer, but IMO that's what makes it look a little more classy and "expensive". Still BLACK but got a nice sheen to it. Personally I really like it and probably would have opted for it had I known before I got my 30i. The builder makes it just look like a charcoal gray and doesn't do it any sort of justice.
Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
      08-11-2023, 01:56 PM   #44
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

That thread also shows how the red calipers will look on the PB color with the wheels that RigaTony1982 has suggested!

I love the color combination!
Appreciate 2
Horseman4131.50