BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Julian Assange Has Been Arrested!

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2019, 01:20 AM   #111
xQx
General
Australia
858
Rep
1,003
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
high treason? lmfao
Welcome to the thread

I'm going to bow out, but my position is Julian Assange has no case to answer in the United States, because, as an Australian Citizen in the United Kingdom, he should not be subject to United States Law.

Extraditing Julian Assange to the US for a trial is like saying that any United States citizen who tweets something insulting about the Thai King from their bedroom in New York City should be extradited to Thailand to face a fair trial under the Thai lese-majeste laws. (Which would be a bullshit situation, because Thai laws should not apply to US citizens in the USA.)

But it's probably going to happen anyway, because it was the American government that was insulted, not the King of Thailand.

He is guilty of skipping bail in the United Kingdom, and should be punished for that like any other person.
He may have broken a Swedish sexual consent law while he was in Sweden, and if the injured parties want to press charges, he should be extradited to Sweden to have them tried in a Swedish court.
But (in my view) the laws of the United States should not apply to a foreign national (Australian) on foreign soil (in the United Kingdom); and as such, Julian Assange is an enemy combatant of the United States, not a defendant to be tried by your courts.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 01:33 AM   #112
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
1301
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post


But it's probably going to happen anyway, because it was the American government that was insulted, not the King of Thailand.
Don't forget that the UK must make friends with the US government (largest trade partner) on the eve of the Brexit, as they don't have that much friends anymore left in the EU.
It all happens quite coincidentally .
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 1
xQx858.00

      04-12-2019, 01:44 AM   #113
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
981
Rep
1,871
Posts

Drives: F80 CP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

so glad to hear at the same time Ecuador had to give up Assange, they got a $4.2 billion loan approved by IMF

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade
__________________
F80 ZCP #itsoktobeAWonSS - ceramics, mpe, oe GTS hood, tractive suspension, eventuri, ps4s.....and a sunroof
Appreciate 3
GuidoK1301.00
xQx858.00

      04-12-2019, 02:15 AM   #114
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
1301
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
so glad to hear at the same time Ecuador had to give up Assange, they got a $4.2 billion loan approved by IMF

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade
You're kidding right?
(I thought my statement was a pretty long shot as I normally dont believe in conspiracythinking but.....)
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:41 AM   #115
.2pdk
Banned
4058
Rep
1,970
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
He did not age well.
7 years inside that building. Going to prison now. What's the difference?
Language and forced anal.
Appreciate 1
Haywood1863.50

      04-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #116
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
5904
Rep
6,502
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 19 M550 19 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I know, but outside the US (or outside germany or whatever western world country) isn't relevant. If documents are transferred digitally, why would the US reporter go to russia or china?

I mean do you honestly think that Assange travels to all the countries that he gets data from? No of course not. Why would that be different if the data would come from china or russia?
Yet you imply that that has to be the case somehow...because you never said US.....
Apparantly a journalist has to travel to the country of origin if he gets classified documents in his mailbox in your view?



They why didnt he stop with wikileaks?
There is a difference between being afraid for a trial and being afraid that you stop working. I thought I wrote that clear in my post, but apparantly not.
A man that is wanted by the US government because of his work and lives in exile for 8 years or whatever and still continues his work because he feels he has to (he's not making huge amounts of money off it) isn't a scared man in my book.
That he looks scared or whatever during the few seconds we see him during his arrest gives in my book not sufficient information to judge his character (who knows what happend before, inside etc). Obviously he's under a lot of emotional stress at this point. Everyone would be.
And that he doesn't want to face trial in the US... for sure, he didnt spend all that time in exile/on the run for nothing.


That was a hypothetical question.....
I'm completely lost here. I have no idea what you think you are responding to. I never said anything about anyone traveling anywhere. In fact I said pretty much the opposite and posted how Wikileaks can get their info.

Russia/China/reporters/Wikileaks obviously aren't constrained by borders for whatever their agenda is.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #117
anglo
Libertarian
anglo's Avatar
United_States
40220
Rep
3,002
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sanctuary City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Don't forget that the UK must make friends with the US government (largest trade partner) on the eve of the Brexit, as they don't have that much friends anymore left in the EU.
It all happens quite coincidentally .
Germany doesn't dictate the UK what to do anymore... from letting more immigrants to banning memes!

Who needs those friends lol
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #118
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
8147
Rep
10,422
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You still dont get it what wikileaks is about.
Everyone knows what type of horrors are at play in russia, china etc.
We have countless intelligence agencies at work to uncover that.
A russian or chinese only has to read the western news to read what aweful things happen in their own countries.
And you can hardly call those countries democracies.

The point of wikileaks is to investigate and uncover what things are done by organisations/governments that are completely formed legally/democratically and for which they didnt get a mandate.

Really, you have the wrong idea about what the goal or idea of wikileaks is.

And the fact that you are baffled by that there are no chinese or NK or whatever documents only states that.

Its not about how many crimes and authrocities are commited in a country, but its about informing the electorate how many crimes and authrocities are comitted by organisations formed by that electorate and for which they lack the mandate.
Its about finding the non free aspects of the free world.
Finding the non free aspects in a dictatorship is well... carrying coals to Newcastle.
I don't get it? The West has freedom of the press and you act like nothing was ever exposed, whistle blown or reported on before Wikileaks/Assange came along.

How many average Chinese or NK citizens have access to Western news sources? Or Russians for that matter? Yes they are the ones most in need of a WikiLeaks
organization and a way to get it to the average citizen in countries like those.

Again we are far far apart on our thinking here..........
Wikileaks is about showcasing a certain extreme liberal arrogance. I would think a big Wikileaks fan would be a Jeremy Corbyn type.
I certainly called it!

https://apnews.com/98f7ec1528bf4e9d9edd78271c31c16b
Party leader Jeremy Corbyn said in a tweet that the U.S. is trying to extradite Assange because he exposed "evidence of atrocities in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Diane Abbott, Labour's spokeswoman for domestic affairs, said the government should block the extradition on human rights grounds. She said the U.S. case against Assange is about the "embarrassment of the things he's revealed about the American military and security services."
__________________
taking it to 7000.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #119
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
12338
Rep
3,417
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I certainly called it!

https://apnews.com/98f7ec1528bf4e9d9edd78271c31c16b
Party leader Jeremy Corbyn said in a tweet that the U.S. is trying to extradite Assange because he exposed "evidence of atrocities in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Diane Abbott, Labour's spokeswoman for domestic affairs, said the government should block the extradition on human rights grounds. She said the U.S. case against Assange is about the "embarrassment of the things he's revealed about the American military and security services."
Why does this not surprise me. Corbyn is literally everything that is wrong with politics these days. God help the UK if he ever becomes the PM.
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer15526.50

      04-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #120
anglo
Libertarian
anglo's Avatar
United_States
40220
Rep
3,002
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sanctuary City

iTrader: (0)

.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
MKSixer15526.50
Zugzwang1155.00

      04-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #121
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
1301
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I'm completely lost here. I have no idea what you think you are responding to. I never said anything about anyone traveling anywhere.
You said that the reason why wikileaks doesnt publish anything russian or chinese is because then they would be killed by those countries on which I replied that that isnt a problem if you stay in the US (or the UK or another western country).
On which you replied "I never said in the US", while posting links about reporters killed in russia and china.

Its simple, you're either in the US or you arent.
So I think we can agree, as long as Assange doesnt travel to russia or china there is no reason for him to fear for his life when releasing documents from russia or china. And he is neither in Russia nor China. So there really is no reason not to publish russian or chinese documents when fearing for is life is concerned, so therefore your argument/point is moot.
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #122
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
1301
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Who needs those friends lol
With 44% to 47% of all exports, the EU is by far UK's largest trade partner (for comparison, the US gets a 14,7% share of the export).

So where money is concerned, its pretty important.
Its also the reason why nobody in the UK wants a hard brexit.
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-12-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #123
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
365
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
New York Times Co. v. United States, 403 U.S. 713 (1971),[1] was a landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court on the First Amendment. The ruling made it possible for The New York Times and The Washington Post newspapers to publish the then-classified Pentagon Papers without risk of government censorship or punishment
irrelevant.
Assange is being prosecuted for child molestation, violating terms of his bail, and computer hacking.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #124
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
5904
Rep
6,502
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 19 M550 19 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You said that the reason why wikileaks doesnt publish anything russian or chinese is because then they would be killed by those countries on which I replied that that isnt a problem if you stay in the US (or the UK or another western country).
On which you replied "I never said in the US", while posting links about reporters killed in russia and china.

Its simple, you're either in the US or you arent.
So I think we can agree, as long as Assange doesnt travel to russia or china there is no reason for him to fear for his life when releasing documents from russia or china. And he is neither in Russia nor China. So there really is no reason not to publish russian or chinese documents when fearing for is life is concerned, so therefore your argument/point is moot.
You continue to infer my posts incorrectly and put your own points in your responses to things I never said.

You are hopelessly naive on the subject, have a good one.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM49602.50

      04-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #125
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
365
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Welcome to the thread

I'm going to bow out, but my position is Julian Assange has no case to answer in the United States, because, as an Australian Citizen in the United Kingdom, he should not be subject to United States Law.

Extraditing Julian Assange to the US for a trial is like saying that any United States citizen who tweets something insulting about the Thai King from their bedroom in New York City should be extradited to Thailand to face a fair trial under the Thai lese-majeste laws. (Which would be a bullshit situation, because Thai laws should not apply to US citizens in the USA.)
More research is needed.
Explain why Pablo Escobar, Manuel Noriega, and countless other foreign "criminals" faced USA prosecution.
Countries, especially allies, have extradition agreements.
Better watch what you say against the Thai King.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #126
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
1301
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
You continue to infer my posts incorrectly and put your own points in your responses to things I never said.

You are hopelessly naive on the subject, have a good one.
Its the other way around.
You specifically said that china/russia would kill Assange if he published chinese/russian documents, right here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I already said why, they’d just fucking kill him. ..
Same with Putin/Russia.
On which I said that russia/china doenst kill reporters in the US/europe:
Right here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think thats a bit far fetched.
It would mean that every journalist in europe/US would shit its pants to write stuff about china/russia.
On which you replied:
So that means IN russia or IN china.
But Assange isnt IN russia or IN china, now is he?

So I'm quoting things you never said....writing it off as naive.
Fine. But if you have the feeling I'm twisting your words, I'd rather see that you elaborate on what you DO mean.
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-12-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #127
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
8147
Rep
10,422
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
You continue to infer my posts incorrectly and put your own points in your responses to things I never said.

You are hopelessly naive on the subject, have a good one.
Its the other way around.
You specifically said that china/russia would kill Assange if he published chinese/russian documents, right here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I already said why, they'd just fucking kill him. ..
Same with Putin/Russia.
On which I said that russia/china doenst kill reporters in the US/europe:
Right here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think thats a bit far fetched.
It would mean that every journalist in europe/US would shit its pants to write stuff about china/russia.
On which you replied:
So that means IN russia or IN china.
But Assange isnt IN russia or IN china, now is he?

So I'm quoting things you never said....writing it off as naive.
Fine.
The Russians HAVE killed many in England alone.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/06/e...ntl/index.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-...vinenko-2018-3
__________________
taking it to 7000.
Appreciate 1
minn195904.00

      04-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #128
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
1301
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Sure but those are spies.
It would be more analog to Manning getting killed (if extrapolated to the now cases at hand).
Assange is the reporter in this case, not the spy.
Assange started wikileaks. Where he reports the data that gets send in.

I think the closest case to your point would be the death of Khashoggi (a reporter getting killed, but in turkey), although he also had a personal connection to the (I think) responsible persons for his death.
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-12-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #129
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
8147
Rep
10,422
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Sure but those are spies.
It would be more analog to Manning getting killed (if extrapolated to the now cases at hand).
Assange is the reporter in this case, not the spy.
Assange started wikileaks. Where he reports the data that gets send in.
Not a reporter. He's a person who thinks the evil of the world derives the from United States. Blind to everything else, and wrong about the United States. It's a simple as that.

Thank of the English magnificent five, Russian spies, that had a viewpoint much like Assange's.
__________________
taking it to 7000.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #130
anglo
Libertarian
anglo's Avatar
United_States
40220
Rep
3,002
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sanctuary City

iTrader: (0)

Assange helped stop the evil Queen from taking the throne - He's a hero...
Appreciate 1
Zugzwang1155.00

      04-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #131
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
1301
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Not a reporter. He's a person who thinks the evil of the world derives the from United States. Blind to everything else, and wrong about the United States. It's a simple as that.
Those are your words. But it summs up what a reporter is. Just a reporter where you happen do disagree with.
But the fact remains, he is no spy.
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 1
Zugzwang1155.00

      04-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #132
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
8147
Rep
10,422
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Julian Assange: Sweden considers reviving rape inquiry https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47910820
Swedish prosecutors said they were examining the case at the request of the alleged victim's lawyer.
__________________
taking it to 7000.
Appreciate 1
minn195904.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST