BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion 9/11 - Where were you and what did you think?

09-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #23
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Wow, just wow. I can't even imagine the rest of your story that day.
Would you remind sharing your story, iconoclast ? If it's still too painful we all understand.

Respectfully-mk

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM49884.50

09-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #24
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

This has been a weird week. I flew to NYC for business, arriving the afternoon of 9/11 and am sitting in Detroit awaiting my last leg home now, Friday the 13th. NYC was busy and especially downtown in the financial district, where I had meetings most of the day 9/12. Roads were closed around the memorial, etc. Banners hanging at the tunnel entrances and elsewhere around Manhattan. And so memories came flooding back.

Took my oldest to Windows at the top of the WTC in 1999 when he graduated from college nearby - he had friends who had taken jobs working in the WTC who are now lost.

9/11/01 I was at work, then in the Detroit area. When news came in of a small plane hitting WTC, we all thought it was an accident but turned on the tv anyway. We were hosting Japanese business guests who were in to discuss production of a new product with us. They told us their company had employees working in WTC, so the mood got both somber and anxious as we watched together all morning. Late in the day we learned they were all accounted for and fine.

We were expecting that evening another business associate, who became a dear friend, from London. He was nearly mid-Atlantic when his flight was returned to London.

We began tracking our salespeople and other employees who were out of town, trying to help get them home (mostly via car rentals).

Of course no business got done, or really was even thought of that day for us. It would have been inappropriate.

For several days we received calls, emails and notes from colleagues, partners and others in London, Prague, Zurich, Tokyo, Seoul and other cities. Very touching.

Later that fall I was in London to continue the discussions that didn’t happen on 9/11 and had an evening free. The London Philharmonic was playing an evening concert in Hyde park, and the conductor opened with some comments about the events of 9/11 and, I gather, that the concert was a postponement from that date. After saying very kind things about America and the horror of 9/11 and British solidarity, he conducted perhaps the only piece of music that really joins our two countries, The Liberty Bell March. This is both iconic American march music composed by John Phillip Sousa and the opening theme from the British TV series, Monty Python. Surprisingly touching. I don’t recall anything else about the concert!

In NYC I met an elderly couple at the bar last night in from London. Bar was crowded and I had a couple of seats at my table so invited them to sit and chat, found out they were Londoners “on holiday” and we reminisced about that time and our different perspectives and shared experiences. Lovely couple, great friends those Brits!

I remember every year, but for some reason this year is more intense and poignant.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #25
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

First day to work after a trip to Europe. All I could think was hoping my sister and BIL were OK and we had it coming.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
vreihen161166.50
MKSixer18293.50

09-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #26
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
This has been a weird week. I flew to NYC for business, arriving the afternoon of 9/11 and am sitting in Detroit awaiting my last leg home now, Friday the 13th. NYC was busy and especially downtown in the financial district, where I had meetings most of the day 9/12. Roads were closed around the memorial, etc. Banners hanging at the tunnel entrances and elsewhere around Manhattan. And so memories came flooding back.

Took my oldest to Windows at the top of the WTC in 1999 when he graduated from college nearby - he had friends who had taken jobs working in the WTC who are now lost.

9/11/01 I was at work, then in the Detroit area. When news came in of a small plane hitting WTC, we all thought it was an accident but turned on the tv anyway. We were hosting Japanese business guests who were in to discuss production of a new product with us. They told us their company had employees working in WTC, so the mood got both somber and anxious as we watched together all morning. Late in the day we learned they were all accounted for and fine.

We were expecting that evening another business associate, who became a dear friend, from London. He was nearly mid-Atlantic when his flight was returned to London.

We began tracking our salespeople and other employees who were out of town, trying to help get them home (mostly via car rentals).

Of course no business got done, or really was even thought of that day for us. It would have been inappropriate.

For several days we received calls, emails and notes from colleagues, partners and others in London, Prague, Zurich, Tokyo, Seoul and other cities. Very touching.

Later that fall I was in London to continue the discussions that didn’t happen on 9/11 and had an evening free. The London Philharmonic was playing an evening concert in Hyde park, and the conductor opened with some comments about the events of 9/11 and, I gather, that the concert was a postponement from that date. After saying very kind things about America and the horror of 9/11 and British solidarity, he conducted perhaps the only piece of music that really joins our two countries, The Liberty Bell March. This is both iconic American march music composed by John Phillip Sousa and the opening theme from the British TV series, Monty Python. Surprisingly touching. I don’t recall anything else about the concert!

In NYC I met an elderly couple at the bar last night in from London. Bar was crowded and I had a couple of seats at my table so invited them to sit and chat, found out they were Londoners “on holiday” and we reminisced about that time and our different perspectives and shared experiences. Lovely couple, great friends those Brits!

I remember every year, but for some reason this year is more intense and poignant.
The weather on that day this year was very similar to that year so I'm sure that didn't help.
Appreciate 2
2000cs1135.50
MKSixer18293.50

09-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #27
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
First day to work after a trip to Europe. All I could think was hoping my sister and BIL were OK and we had it coming.
Thanks for chiming in on the thread. I'm curious about the statement that, "we had it coming." I'd appreciate you elaborating. Thank-you.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
Violator3883.00
SakhirM49884.50

09-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #28
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in on the thread. I'm curious about the statement that, "we had it coming." I'd appreciate you elaborating. Thank-you.
Decades of meddling in the ME. It's not like we hadn't already been hit before.

Beirut '83
WTC '93
Khobar Towers '96
USS Cole '00

Attempted assassination of OBL and attack on al-Qaeda via cruise missiles (Operation Infinite Reach  '98). OBL was on record with what he thought of US military presence in the ME after Gulf War I.

I was not the least bit surprised.

Side note: I thought it was ironic that Tom Clancy wrote about a similar terrorist attack in his "94 book "Debt of Honor".

Appreciate 1
vreihen161166.50

09-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #29
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:

Beirut '83
WTC '93
Khobar Towers '96
USS Cole '00

Attempted assassination of OBL and attack on al-Qaeda via cruise missiles (Operation Infinite Reach '98). OBL was on record with what he thought of US military presence in the ME after Gulf War I.

Side note: I thought it was ironic that Tom Clancy wrote about a similar terrorist attack in his "94 book "Debt of Honor".
How does that translate to "we had it coming"?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 2
MKSixer18293.50

09-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #30
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:

Beirut '83
WTC '93
Khobar Towers '96
USS Cole '00

Attempted assassination of OBL and attack on al-Qaeda via cruise missiles (Operation Infinite Reach '98). OBL was on record with what he thought of US military presence in the ME after Gulf War I.

Like Clint Eastwood said, "we all have it coming", right? I agree with you, not a good point.
MKSixer18293.50

09-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I was moving into my new home after going to settlement with the builder. I was laying on the floor half asleep in the MBR as I haven't moved furniture into the various rooms yet. I had the TV on when I saw the news breaks and in my half conscious stupor saw the image of one of the planes hit one of the towers of the World Trade Center. It took a few minutes for the gravity of what just happened to register in my brain.

When I finally realized what was happening, I called into the work as I was still on call even though I was taking time off to move in. I was surprised I was able to get through with my government issued cell phone. I got a hold of my manager who was surprised to hear from me. I asked if I needed to come in. He said don't bother as they're evacuating the entire facility.

I can't quantify the amount of anxiety, anger, and pent up energy I had being unable to do anything stewing at my new home. Eventually, I got the all clear to report in to work. if the silence of no planes flying over head and the streets being pretty much empty within the DC Metro area, the new reality really hit when I had to clear the security check point going into work. Being greeted by Federal officers with M4s fully displayed, bomb dogs sniffing my car, and armed patrols walking the fence perimeter was a real kick in the nuts that things will never be the same again.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer18293.50
2000cs1135.50

09-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #32
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Beirut '83
WTC '93
Khobar Towers '96
USS Cole '00

If you can't see that 9/11 is blowback for US foreign policy in the ME then you will never get it.

Appreciate 1
vreihen161166.50

09-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #33
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
If you can't see that 9/11 is blowback for US foreign policy in the ME then you will never get it.
I didn't say I couldn't see their excuse. I said that I didn't believe that it translated to "we had it coming". Nice attempt to insult, instead of answering the question.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 1
MKSixer18293.50

09-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #34
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Do the Brits have it coming since they are, in large part, responsible for the partitions?

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #35
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I was moving into my new home after going to settlement with the builder. I was laying on the floor half asleep in the MBR as I haven't moved furniture into the various rooms yet. I had the TV on when I saw the news breaks and in my half conscious stupor saw the image of one of the planes hit one of the towers of the World Trade Center. It took a few minutes for the gravity of what just happened to register in my brain.

When I finally realized what was happening, I called into the work as I was still on call even though I was taking time off to move in. I was surprised I was able to get through with my government issued cell phone. I got a hold of my manager who was surprised to hear from me. I asked if I needed to come in. He said don't bother as they're evacuating the entire facility.

I can't quantify the amount of anxiety, anger, and pent up energy I had being unable to do anything stewing at my new home. Eventually, I got the all clear to report in to work. if the silence of no planes flying over head and the streets being pretty much empty within the DC Metro area, the new reality really hit when I had to clear the security check point going into work. Being greeted by Federal officers with M4s fully displayed, bomb dogs sniffing my car, and armed patrols walking the fence perimeter was a real kick in the nuts that things will never be the same again.
Thanks for sharing and I will add this: I never thought I'd see the Air Force flying CAP over US cities. It was surreal.

Appreciate 2
SakhirM49884.50
zx10guy2275.00

09-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #36
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

I was slaving away in the lower level of our house, which we had torn open to install ductwork &c. The whole place was a mess and I was down there every morning; I worked an evening shift in the NOC of a tech outfit at the time. My wife came down and said her daughter had just called and told her to turn on the TV. We did.

As soon as I understood what was happening I got cleaned up and went into work. The folks there were already hard at it, finding ways our company could help those who had been impacted. I stayed until sometime in the wee hours, I don't really remember the time but it was a very long day. There really wasn't a lot we could do besides offer our services for free, but we did get some takers.

The thing I really remember was one of the guys I worked with. He was Vietnamese. He came here after the fall of Saigon. He saw the towers on TV and he just sat there, not working, not moving. I asked him if he was okay. "It makes me remember" he said. He was in Saigon when the VC came. It was complete mayhem. Everybody was shooting. Everybody was running. He was trying to get away from the advancing troops on one of those tiny motorbikes so ubiquitous there; throttle wide open, head down low over the handlebars to gain aero advantage. A tank turned onto the street behind him. All around him all the people who were running began to fall. He realized that the tank was gunning them down. His head was low enough and he escaped that street, and lived that day. And eventually he brought his family to America.

He started to cry. I held him. He stopped after a bit, and we got back to work.
Appreciate 4
SakhirM49884.50
MKSixer18293.50
GERMAN M31747.00
UncleWede8842.00

09-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #37
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say I couldn't see their excuse. I said that I didn't believe that it translated to "we had it coming". Nice attempt to insult, instead of answering the question.
When viewed as an excuse then ya, my comment doesn't make sense.

It wasn't an excuse but a response. So ya we had it coming. "It" being another terrorist act on US soil.

Think about the Chechen terrorist attacks in Russia. Do you think the war in Chechnya was just an excuse or a response?

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #38
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do the Brits have it coming since they are, in large part, responsible for the partitions?
To some degree they and the French are also culpable. I assume you're talking about the post WW1 partition of the Ottoman Empire.

Don't forget the partition of Africa by colonial Europe.

However, after Eisenhower figuratively told the UK to step down during the Suez Canal crisis I'd say the US owns it.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #39
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
To some degree they and the French are also culpable. I assume you're talking about the post WW1 partition of the Ottoman Empire.

However, after Eisenhower figuratively told the UK to step down during the Suez Canal crisis I'd say the US owns it.
I see. It's always our fault.

Appreciate 1
SakhirM49884.50

09-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #40
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

If we are going to play this game then the ottoman, the caliphates, the byzantine, roman empire, alexandard empire, persian empire, Babylon and so on are all culpable for making that whole region a shitshow of a hog podge of different cultures, relgions, and ethnic groups who all hate each other and can't agree not to f one another consistently.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer18293.50

09-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #41
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I see. It's always our fault.

Don't be so naive.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #42
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Don't be so naive.
You said we own it which is patently and demonstrably untrue.

Appreciate 1
SakhirM49884.50

09-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #43
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't be so naive.
You said we own it which is patently and demonstrably untrue.
American hegemony has its price does it not?

Seriously, we've been at war for almost 20 yrs.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #44
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Quote:

If we are going to play this game then the ottoman, the caliphates, the byzantine, roman empire, alexandard empire, persian empire, Babylon and so on are all culpable for making that whole region a shitshow of a hog podge of different cultures, relgions, and ethnic groups who all hate each other and can't agree not to f one another consistently.
Meh, whatever. You can play whatever game you want. I could care less.

Appreciate 0