BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion The Illusory Truth Effect and the Mainstream Media

09-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #23
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Arguing with a liberal is like pissing against a 120 mph wind. The results are predictable.
I always view it as being a stranger talking to a 9 year old and dismissing all the myths of unicorns, santa, and so to them. All they will reply is na ah my dad/mami told me it is.
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi6319.00

09-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #24
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Ms McKenna caught on video in a bar explaining how the liberals have learned that if you repeat something often enough and loud enough that people will believe it.

Fittingly, this was a strategy developed by none other than Josef Goebbels and formed the basis of the Nazi propaganda machine's initial and continuing strategy against the Jews.

(This is not achieving Godwin's Law because it is related to the subject matter at hand.)

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 5
City Pig6102.00
SakhirM49602.50
Eriphill1148.50
arkie6348.00
Now_Rudi6319.00

09-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #25
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Fittingly, this was a strategy developed by none other than Josef Goebbels and formed the basis of the Nazi propaganda machine's initial and continuing strategy against the Jews.

(This is not achieving Godwin's Law because it is related to the subject matter at hand.)
It is exactly the approach of the Nazi propaganda machine from WW2, and a strategy the MSM has taken and is also actively used by the folks on the left who's agenda on Climate Change is front and centre so much of the time.

I'm not saying the right hasn't done it either but that it is a fact and it has success because it works.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating. The MSM is actively trying to effect political outcomes rather than just reporting the news. It seems as though they are colluding to achieve and outcome. I don't if that is something that the media actively works together on or if it's just the result of likemindedness, but there sure seems to be a unified approach to achieve control of politics and political outcome.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer15583.50
arkie6348.00

09-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #26
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
It is exactly the approach of the Nazi propaganda machine from WW2, and a strategy the MSM has taken and is also actively used by the folks on the left who's agenda on Climate Change is front and centre so much of the time.

I'm not saying the right hasn't done it either but that it is a fact and it has success because it works.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating. The MSM is actively trying to effect political outcomes rather than just reporting the news. It seems as though they are colluding to achieve and outcome. I don't if that is something that the media actively works together on or if it's just the result of likemindedness, but there sure seems to be a unified approach to achieve control of politics and political outcome.
It's been a while...

You sir, win The Internet today. Congratulations!!

You are 100% correct in that which you wrote and while the right has done it, due to the absolute lack of right leaning news organizations, it isn't as effective. The left, meanwhile has 7 major media outlets and over 90% of those working as journalists identifying as progressive/liberal.

Accidents and coincidences don't happen on this scale. The effort is deliberate, coordinated and designed to achieve a specific outcome. As proven in this letter from Bill Ivey to John Podesta which was obtained by WikiLeaks.

To: john.podesta@gmail.com
Date: 2016-03-13 17:06
Subject: From Bill Ivey

Dear John:

Well, we all thought the big problem for our US democracy was Citizens United/Koch Brothers big money in politics. Silly us; turns out that money isn’t all that important if you can conflate entertainment with the electoral process. Trump masters TV, TV so-called news picks up and repeats and repeats to death this opinionated blowhard and his hairbrained ideas, free-floating discontent attaches to a seeming strongman and we’re off and running. JFK, Jr would be delighted by all this as his “George” magazine saw celebrity politics coming. The magazine struggled as it was ahead of its time but now looks prescient. George, of course, played the development pretty lightly, basically for charm and gossip, like People, but what we are dealing with now is dead serious. How does this get handled in the general? Secretary Clinton is not an entertainer, and not a celebrity in the Trump, Kardashian mold; what can she do to offset this? I’m certain the poll-directed insiders are sure things will default to policy as soon as the conventions are over, but I think not. And as I’ve mentioned, we’ve all been quite content to demean government, drop civics and in general conspire to produce an unaware and compliant citizenry. The unawareness remains strong but compliance is obviously fading rapidly. This problem demands some serious, serious thinking — and not just poll driven, demographically-inspired messaging.

Rubio’s press conference yesterday AM was good and should be repeated in its entirety, not just in nibbles. I will attend the Clinton fundraiser here next week but as I can only afford the low level of participation may just get to wave without a “hello.”

I fear we are all now trying to navigate a set of forces that cannot be simply explained or fully understood, so it is and will reamin interesting!

Sent with a handshake,

Bill

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 2
City Pig6102.00
lakefront193.00

09-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #27
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I agree with you that the democrats used the stratagy a lot this past election, but it doesn't seem effective in changing minds anymore, it just gets their own more riled up.

Trumps team on the other hand seemed to target specific counties, zip codes, and bubbles through targeted ads/articles. That worked much better.

With all the data we have these days on people, saying the same thing over and over again on mass media is old school. You can target specific people so easily from data that is widely available for a price.

Last edited by dsad1; 09-15-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #28
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Trumps team on the other hand seemed to targeted specific counties, zip codes, and bubbles through targeted ads/articles. That worked much better. .
The DimocRats are now just a"group" of snarling idiort. Really not focused on winning elections. Just trying to promote themselves and stand out in a crowd of idiots. I think that group is going to be smaller after the next election.

Hint: Keep it up already Dims
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #29
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:

No
      09-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #30
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
No
?

Appreciate 2
City Pig6102.00
SakhirM49602.50

09-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #31
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:
I disagree with much of what you wrote because of the language used in said reporting. And when you say neither pro or con you are omitting Mr. Trump on whom over 90%+ of the reporting is negative with a similar number of reporters claiming to be liberal or progressive.

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/02/55509...her-presidents
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR article
While some may be tempted to read this as evidence of media bias, the leader of Pew's Journalism Project said that isn't a conclusion one can draw from the study.
Also I think you are behind the times with your assumptions about where folks get their news these days. You keep saying 90% of this and 7 out of 8 of that but you're not saying what. If you mean network/cable TV I think you need to adjust your sources. People get their news from their phones these days, and that source base is much broader. You no longer need to own a major network to influence millions of people.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #32
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Also I think you are behind the times with your assumptions about where folks get their news these days. You keep saying 90% of this and 7 out of 8 of that but you're not saying what. If you mean network/cable TV I think you need to adjust your sources. People get their news from their phones these days, and that source base is much broader. You no longer need to own a major network to influence millions of people.
Broader, yes but also more fragmented. The Big 3 networks combined with the leading cable outlets still command the single largest section of the news delivered.

And when you say phone what do you mean? The phones are linked to other networks and sources. Origin source of the news is the most important and the origin sources of most stories are the larger networks because they have the footprints and globally spanning information gathering capabilities that a tertiary news source simply cannot match. Think AP, Reuters, BBC, et al.

Appreciate 2
City Pig6102.00
SakhirM49602.50

09-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #33
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
No
?
The whole statement.

People need to put on their big boy britches/Big girl pants and not try to read some sinister purpose into.........news. A lot of the people out there, especially Trump supporters, don't like the news nowadays because they report on what Trump does.

Get over it. He's in the bed he made.

09-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #34
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
The whole statement.

People need to put on their big boy britches/Big girl pants and not try to read some sinister purpose into.........news. A lot of the people out there, especially Trump supporters, don't like the news nowadays because they report on what Trump does.

LOL!

This has been going on LONG before Mr. Trump.

Appreciate 2
City Pig6102.00
SakhirM49602.50

09-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #35
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:
Accidents and coincidences don't happen on this scale. The effort is deliberate, coordinated and designed to achieve a specific outcome. As proven in this letter from Bill Ivey to John Podesta which was obtained by WikiLeaks.

To: john.podesta@gmail.com
Date: 2016-03-13 17:06
Subject: From Bill Ivey

Dear John:
I'm not clear on what point you were trying to make with the "dear John" (sorry couldn't resist!) letter. It looks to me to be not much more than a conversation between two friends who both wanted to get the same person elected. It's pretty hard for me to lay the state of 75 years' worth of television news history at their feet based on its content.

Quote:
Broader, yes but also more fragmented. The Big 3 networks combined with the leading cable outlets still command the single largest section of the news delivered.
True, but not even 50% anymore.

Quote:
And when you say phone what do you mean?
I mean phones. Yes the major media companies have feeds there, but so do a very large number of other entities. Entities such as the Russians, who endeavor to change the outcome of elections. "Social media" is a large and rising source, especially among folks under 50. It's only the geezers still using TV, and even they mostly use it for local news.

With all that, I'm not arguing your premise so much as I'm arguing its relevance. It may have been a thing, but it's not so much anymore. The internet revolution rolls on, and network news is well on its way to becoming yet another of its trampled dinosaurs.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...a-news-source/

So who are the shapers of news today? Certainly we've seen evidence of outside entities such as Russia doing their best to shape the political news landscape. Big oil, big pharma, and so on also spend big on shaping their image. Who else? Are they all left leaning? And if they are, is it a product of nefarious intent or which way the wind blows?
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #36
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
The whole statement.

This isn't just about Trump, this is happening in every western democracy. The media's job has been to report the news but has somehow evolved into selecting what to report and almost more importantly what not to report and then weave into what they report commentary and spin. Rinse wash and then repeat. The media is so clearly delivered with a left leaning bias, the language is almost always seasoned with a left vs right tone rather than to quote Joe Friday, "Just the Facts".
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #37
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
If you read this site and believe it is appropriate and responsible, you cannot say you're soaring above the stratosphere intellectually................

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...anging_it.html

https://www.americanthinker.com/
      09-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #38
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
If you read this site and believe it is appropriate and responsible, you cannot say you're soaring above the stratosphere intellectually................

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...anging_it.html

https://www.americanthinker.com/
And yet you attack the site not the information. Classic RD. Carry on.

The information is correct. Nice try at deflection, however.

Appreciate 4
SakhirM49602.50
lakefront193.00
City Pig6102.00
arkie6348.00

09-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #39
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Yep,

News media in general is notorious for just reporting on a report. They're substituting verification for timeliness.

Just remember that the MSM (of which Fox is part of) is not "Progressive" or "Conservative" but pro-state as in in favor of a large central government with all the trappings.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #40
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Yep,

News media in general is notorious for just reporting on a report. They're substituting verification for timeliness.

Just remember that the MSM (of which Fox is part of) is not "Progressive" or "Conservative" but pro-state as in in favor of a large central government with all the trappings.
Would you agree that large central government is more a Progressive thing than conservative thing?

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #41
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Yep,

Would you agree that large central government is more a Progressive thing than conservative thing?
No. They really only differ on how to pay for it.

Progressives generally want to pay for it with higher tax rates.

Conservatives generally pay for it by selling more treasuries.

It only took Rush Limbaugh 30 years to figure that out.

"Limbaugh: Nobody is a fiscal conservative anymore. All this talk about concern for the deficit and the budget has been bogus for as long as it's been around."

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #42
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
No. They really only differ on how to pay for it.

Progressives generally want to pay for it with higher tax rates.

Conservatives generally pay for it by selling more treasuries.

It only took Rush Limbaugh 30 years to figure that out.

"Limbaugh: Nobody is a fiscal conservative anymore. All this talk about concern for the deficit and the budget has been bogus for as long as it's been around."
I'm discussing large central government, not on financing it. Large central government is a more progressive goal. More intrusion into daily lives. More control. The nanny state. This is not a conservative aspiration.

Appreciate 3
SakhirM49602.50
City Pig6102.00

09-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #43
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
It's been mentioned many times on these fora
We don't take too kindly to Big City folks comin round here with their fancy talk
Appreciate 5
City Pig6102.00
MKSixer15583.50
cmyx6go2325.50
Now_Rudi6319.00

09-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #44
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
We don't take too kindly to Big City folks comin round here with their fancy talk
Point taken.

Forumz it is!! #thuglife

Appreciate 3
cmyx6go2325.50
SakhirM49602.50