BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla embarrassing themselves at the Nurburgring

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
PhizzurpF
Private First Class
19
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i x drive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Tesla embarrassing themselves at the Nurburgring

As if Tesla isn't already a laughing stock on the track, here they are this morning, once again trying to outperform Porsche. Obviously this isn't a stock Model S. I surely hope this tempts Porsche to head out with a modified Taycan.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
12441
Rep
3,463
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm just gonna leave this here for the full story.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/23/tesla...ng-race-track/

Not sure why the OP is so angry at a car company?

__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Gen13 F36
Lieutenant Colonel
Gen13 F36's Avatar
United_States
660
Rep
1,873
Posts

Drives: 428i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Nah, OP. Tesla is actually playing the game with Porsche. They are a small company but they are doing great.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent12441.00
clee1982521.00

      10-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
deviantspeed
moew
166
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 330 and a WP0AA
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: I live in a tent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here for the full story.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/23/tesla...ng-race-track/

Not sure why the OP is so angry at a car company?

I think the best part is, after the crash, then on the tow truck, they covered it so nobody could "see" it.

But there's a ton of pics out there.

Don't think OP is "angry" as you said, but there's just too many grand claims.
Appreciate 1
alex23641025.00

      10-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
PhizzurpF
Private First Class
19
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i x drive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here for the full story.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/23/tesla...ng-race-track/

Not sure why the OP is so angry at a car company?

Not angry. I simply think Teslas attempts to claim dominance over Porsche is comical and quite entertaining. This goes back to a Musk tweeting a picture at Porsche inside a Tesla plant aside newly built motors covered in dirt and grime. Obviously the dirt grime is probably inevitable to an extent, but the ground itself was also dirty. Porsche fired back with its own photo, showing off its plant that appeared to be in impeccable condition.

I just find it funny Tesla is trying so hard to beat Porsche, meanwhile Porsche seems to be leg lengths ahead.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
chiefneil
Major
United_States
699
Rep
1,385
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

I guess this is embarrassing because prototypes never crash while trying to break track records?

That professional driver must be so embarrassed, since pros never crash either.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
deviantspeed
moew
166
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 330 and a WP0AA
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: I live in a tent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I guess this is embarrassing because prototypes never crash while trying to break track records?

That professional driver must be so embarrassed, since pros never crash either.
Why did they invest so much into this extra curricular activity?

Why did they crash? (autopilot? exploding batteries?)

Why did they cover the car up, thinking nobody would see the crashed tesla?

Why will I NEVER own a tesla?

Why do people care?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
PhizzurpF
Private First Class
19
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i x drive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Why did they invest so much into this extra curricular activity?

Why did they crash? (autopilot? exploding batteries?)

Why did they cover the car up, thinking nobody would see the crashed tesla?

Why will I NEVER own a tesla?

Why do people care?
You get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
PhizzurpF
Private First Class
19
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i x drive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I guess this is embarrassing because prototypes never crash while trying to break track records?

That professional driver must be so embarrassed, since pros never crash either.
Easy there, guy. No need to be defensive.

It actually IS quite embarrassing for Tesla. What other company is spending this much capital/time/effort developing PROTOTYPES that will never be available to the consumer just to prove a point?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
floridaorange
Captain
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
321
Rep
873
Posts

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

Faster than this???


__________________
Stage 2 BM3
Appreciate 1
zamboni512.50

      10-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #11
BMWILUVU
Captain
232
Rep
609
Posts

Drives: 340ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Boibs

iTrader: (0)

2 minutes behind. How many professional races has Tesla won?
Appreciate 1
zamboni512.50

      10-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #12
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
12441
Rep
3,463
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
2 minutes behind. How many professional races has Tesla won?
Well - I dunno - considering there is only really one major racing outlet for electric vehicles, kind of hard to make that determination, isn't it?

Perhaps we should wait until next year and then re-pose your question?

https://carbuzz.com/news/tesla-to-en...20551%20pounds.
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #13
chiefneil
Major
United_States
699
Rep
1,385
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhizzurpF View Post
Easy there, guy. No need to be defensive.

It actually IS quite embarrassing for Tesla. What other company is spending this much capital/time/effort developing PROTOTYPES that will never be available to the consumer just to prove a point?
I'm not defensive at all. In fact I don't think EVs belong on a track simply due to their current performance characteristics.

But pretty much every manufacturer tests their cars at Nürburgring, and sometimes they crash. Some of those cars are prototypes, others are test mules, and many will never see production. It doesn't really matter if the cars are intended for production or not, the manufacturer still gathers a lot of useful data. For example we can infer that Tesla realized they need more downforce at high speed as a result of the testing.

I really don't see what the big deal is if Tesla wants to join the big boys club by giving it a whirl. And covering up the wrecked car is not a big deal IMHO. No manufacturer wants their wrecked prototype being paraded around for the public to see.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
PhizzurpF
Private First Class
19
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i x drive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I'm not defensive at all. In fact I don't think EVs belong on a track simply due to their current performance characteristics.

But pretty much every manufacturer tests their cars at Nürburgring, and sometimes they crash. Some of those cars are prototypes, others are test mules, and many will never see production. It doesn't really matter if the cars are intended for production or not, the manufacturer still gathers a lot of useful data. For example we can infer that Tesla realized they need more downforce at high speed as a result of the testing.

I really don't see what the big deal is if Tesla wants to join the big boys club by giving it a whirl. And covering up the wrecked car is not a big deal IMHO. No manufacturer wants their wrecked prototype being paraded around for the public to see.
I was under the impression not many consumer-based manufacturers develop prototypes for the sake of racing. Isn't this true? I'm aware the big names, eg porsche, Mercedes, etc., do these prototypes primarily because they are actually in racing classes. I could be wrong on this though.

My point is, Tesla's huge focus is on becoming more consumer friendly "so everyone can enjoy an EV". Which seems contradicting to their streak of runs as of lately, not to mentions Musks comments on fastest lap time.

To me, it seems as if Tesla is a lost puppy looking for its home.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #15
deviantspeed
moew
166
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 330 and a WP0AA
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: I live in a tent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
2 minutes behind. How many professional races has Tesla won?

Even if they could, more and more events are banning electric cars. They don't have the infrastructure to lift a white hot burning car and drop it in a huge tank of water. This is truth.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #16
corn18
Second Lieutenant
corn18's Avatar
192
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

If the internet were around in 1964, I wonder what the posts would look like about the GT40? Innovation is good.
Appreciate 1
clee1982521.00

      10-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #17
Logicoeur
Captain
Logicoeur's Avatar
361
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

I just don't see how you can fault Tesla for trying to compete with Porsche. They can and they are because they forced everyone in Germany to seriously invest in electric vehicles. Even Ferrari is planning a hybrid. So.... your points are moot.
__________________
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | 18X9 ET32 TR-1 255/40/18 | MPerf LSD
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #18
PhizzurpF
Private First Class
19
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i x drive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
I just don't see how you can fault Tesla for trying to compete with Porsche. They can and they are because they forced everyone in Germany to seriously invest in electric vehicles. Even Ferrari is planning a hybrid. So.... your points are moot.
You're missing the point. Everyone competes with the best player in the market, eg. Porsche. Once again, not sure how your Ferrari post is relevant. Tesla hasn't influenced any manufacturer to invest in EV, actually the opposite, they're just going with market demand.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #19
PhizzurpF
Private First Class
19
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i x drive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
If the internet were around in 1964, I wonder what the posts would look like about the GT40? Innovation is good.
Good point and I fully agree.
Appreciate 1
clee1982521.00

      10-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
Emilime75
Major
541
Rep
1,310
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: X

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhizzurpF View Post
You're missing the point. Everyone competes with the best player in the market, eg. Porsche. Once again, not sure how your Ferrari post is relevant. Tesla hasn't influenced any manufacturer to invest in EV, actually the opposite, they're just going with market demand.
...except that without Tesla, there wouldn't even be the market there currently is for EV. Beyond that, testing and/or competing in motorsports isn't only for winning purposes and bragging rights. Tons of useful data can be gathered from it that is useful in building a better car, not to mention the publicity and brand awareness. Even this "embarrassing" wreck here is advertising... and you're helping them by posting it.

For the record, I'm not an EV supporter.
Appreciate 5
Logicoeur361.00
clee1982521.00
mkoesel5464.00
Viffermike1706.00

      10-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #21
clee1982
Major
United_States
521
Rep
1,357
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yup, Tesla definitely pushed everyone, just wish BMW wasn't so behind on electrical vehicles.
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST