BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion I think Tesla will be gone in ten years

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #4731
natedog7700
Captain
natedog7700's Avatar
418
Rep
762
Posts

Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: milwaukee wi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
If you say so.
Kids these days
Appreciate 1
GrussGott9795.50

      07-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #4732
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6234
Rep
16,608
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
If you say so.
Kids these days
Yep, 40+ year old kids.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 12:18 AM   #4733
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9796
Rep
8,065
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Polestar 2 gets a great review, beats the Tesla across the board:
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:44 PM   #4734
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9796
Rep
8,065
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Kinda makes a national security argument for distributed power ... or just for people who want reliable power for their homes and cars
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #4735
danf72
Enlisted Member
34
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2017 Tesla S75D
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I test drove Tesla Model S twice. The first time, driver's seat was so uncomfortable that blistering performance meant very little. Tesla did improve the front seat design and I noticed it during the second test drive.

On the way home, I noticed that my neighbor was always charging his Tesla Model S outside the house. He told me that the risk of spontaneous combustion wasn't worth it.

Suddenly, better seats lost their appeal.
Seriously? Your neighbor is worried his Model S will catch fire in the garage while charging? Why? I'm genuinely interested if there is a reason to worry. I've been charging mine in the garage for 3 years. The only issue I had was that the electrician who originally installed the electric plug in the garage did a poor job that resulted in an occasional short circuit. I was lucky to find this before it caused a fire.
__________________
Current: 2018 BMW X5
Past:
2011 BMW X3
2007 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #4736
Sportstick
Brigadier General
Sportstick's Avatar
United_States
2549
Rep
4,117
Posts

Drives: '15 228i and '18 330i GT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southwest USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Seriously? Your neighbor is worried his Model S will catch fire in the garage while charging? Why? I'm genuinely interested if there is a reason to worry. I've been charging mine in the garage for 3 years. The only issue I had was that the electrician who originally installed the electric plug in the garage did a poor job that resulted in an occasional short circuit. I was lucky to find this before it caused a fire.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28420/...ecall-in-sight
__________________

2015 VO 228i 6MT/Track Handling,Tech,Cold,Premium,Lighting,Driver Assistance Pkgs/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR Wheels/Michelin PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Kidney Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic
2018 Alpine White 330GT - 100% Stock
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #4737
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
2246
Rep
8,803
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

WSJ Opinion piece mentions that Tesla lost $100 million in EV but turned a profit thanks to $400 million FE credits sold to other automakers.

Thoughts on this arrangement?
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #4738
chris719
Brigadier General
3845
Rep
4,173
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
WSJ Opinion piece mentions that Tesla lost $100 million in EV but turned a profit thanks to $400 million FE credits sold to other automakers.

Thoughts on this arrangement?
BMW can lose money even without any decent EVs.

Even if Tesla lost money without the credits, no one actually cares. The future is clear.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott9795.50

      08-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #4739
KRS_SN
Captain
734
Rep
778
Posts

Drives: F15,F30, F34, E91.
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

i just bought a new bmw x5 with msport and msport plus and comfort and technology and visibility packs and 7 seats 2 axle air suspension and skylounge panoroof and its so super cool. Super tech super looks super drive. hand on heart its amazing. Don't write the obituary of bmw yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #4740
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9796
Rep
8,065
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
WSJ Opinion piece mentions that Tesla lost $100 million in EV but turned a profit thanks to $400 million FE credits sold to other automakers. Thoughts on this arrangement?
Here are the numbers:



Tesla is an energy company that currently funds development of proprietary energy technology via new autos.

In 10 years or less, new autos will be the smaller business ... and the energy market is massive.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #4741
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
9796
Rep
8,065
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
I can see people getting fired up for this:

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #4742
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
8928
Rep
10,001
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
Personally I'm all for a Full EV daily driver as long as there's fake engine sound. When I press on the throttle I need to hear something. I would only get one if there's sound involved because I've almost been taken out (while walking) by silent Teslas coming in way too hot around a blind corner and sounding like air.
As someone who enjoys the sounds of an engine enough to install a nice sounding exhaust on my last two M3's I actually enjoy the eerie silence of my EV. Think of it as stealth mode. I can floor it and not get unwanted attention. I can't do that in my M3 without either getting a ticket or some judgmental looks.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:13 PM   #4743
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
1399
Rep
1,443
Posts

Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2017 F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Polestar 2 gets a great review, beats the Tesla across the board:
I wonder how many people are like me. I did not buy my model 3 mainly because it was electric. I bought it because it was weird and different. It looks weird. Has a weird interior. Has weird tech etc. I think it makes it different from anything else on the market. Being electric I guess kind of plays into it's weirdness as its silent, has crazy acceleration etc, but I did not buy it specifically because I wanted to be green or save money on gas etc.

However... for me personally I don't think I would have purchased the Polestar or really any other electric vehicle had the model 3 not been an option. It just looks and feels very ordinary... like any other car. Maybe that is a plus for a lot of people who may specifically want an electric car mainly because it's electric, but don't want some weird looking, "self driving" geeksquad mobile.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN734.00

      08-05-2020, 11:20 PM   #4744
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
1399
Rep
1,443
Posts

Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2017 F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
As someone who enjoys the sounds of an engine enough to install a nice sounding exhaust on my last two M3's I actually enjoy the eerie silence of my EV. Think of it as stealth mode. I can floor it and not get unwanted attention. I can't do that in my M3 without either getting a ticket or some judgmental looks.
I thought this was going to be very weird, but it's actually the least weird thing about it. It's not really that quiet inside and/or normal ICE cars are not all that loud. Between the AC sound and the road noise I can barely tell the difference between the model 3 and the corolla. I'm sure there is some difference as even the corolla makes some noise when accelerating hard, but it's not really noticeable enough to matter.

What IS weird even after 2+ months is how you don't turn it off or on. Every time I'm about to get out of the car I still stop for a sec and then remember there is nothing for me to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #4745
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
8928
Rep
10,001
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Polestar 2 gets a great review, beats the Tesla across the board:
I wonder how many people are like me. I did not buy my model 3 mainly because it was electric. I bought it because it was weird and different. It looks weird. Has a weird interior. Has weird tech etc. I think it makes it different from anything else on the market. Being electric I guess kind of plays into it's weirdness as its silent, has crazy acceleration etc, but I did not buy it specifically because I wanted to be green or save money on gas etc.

However... for me personally I don't think I would have purchased the Polestar or really any other electric vehicle had the model 3 not been an option. It just looks and feels very ordinary... like any other car. Maybe that is a plus for a lot of people who may specifically want an electric car mainly because it's electric, but don't want some weird looking, "self driving" geeksquad mobile.
One of the reasons I chose an i3 over something like the Bolt was that it was weird and had a very unique look both inside and out. It's novel and it enhances the driving experience. I didn't watch this video yet, but I do agree, personally I don't want an electric car that looks like an ICE car. I want it to look like it's from the future, I want a slick interior. The Taycan and the Honda E are cars that do it right. They are just different enough to appeal to me. However I can see how something like an i3 can turn most people off.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST