BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos It’s been *so long* since I’ve seen my Corvette

06-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #67
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Not that I'd ever buy a new Corvette (It ended with the C6 Z06 for me), but damn this thread is enough to scare the shit out of anyone wanting a 'Vette.

Raise one for used cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #68
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Not that I'd ever buy a new Corvette (It ended with the C6 Z06 for me), but damn this thread is enough to scare the shit out of anyone wanting a 'Vette.

Raise one for used cars.
I for one will never even consider GM cars now for sure. A long time friend of mine runs an automotive aftermarket business and wants me to help with the C8 parts business. I told him he’s on his own, as there’s no possible way I’ll ever consider anything made by GM ever again.

I told him it’s not about the “ifs” but WHEN sh*t goes sideways. You can’t pay me enough to ever want to consider going through this again.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #69
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I for one will never even consider GM cars now for sure. A long time friend of mine runs an automotive aftermarket business and wants me to help with the C8 parts business. I told him he’s on his own, as there’s no possible way I’ll ever consider anything made by GM ever again.

I told him it’s not about the “ifs” but WHEN sh*t goes sideways. You can’t pay me enough to ever want to consider going through this again.
I hear you, you're upset, but in all honesty there are a lot of people driving Corvette's that never have a problem. You were just the unlucky one this time.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #70
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I hear you, you're upset, but in all honesty there are a lot of people driving Corvette's that never have a problem. You were just the unlucky one this time.
I would say unlucky in the sense that he was exposed to GM's interest in their customers. When someone buys a high-end car, you expect some treatment in kind, and what Hack went through is totally uncalled for. Making the customer happy is certainly not GM's interest, if this is how they treat their customers. Frustrating would be an understatement.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #71
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
I would say unlucky in the sense that he was exposed to GM's interest in their customers. When someone buys a high-end car, you expect some treatment in kind, and what Hack went through is totally uncalled for. Making the customer happy is certainly not GM's interest, if this is how they treat their customers. Frustrating would be an understatement.
Totally with you on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #72
The HACK
Rep

Got the car back. Now the next phase of struggle begins.

Waiting on the local superior court’s backlog to be cleared so the judge can rule in my favor to compel GM to buy this f**king lemon back.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      07-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #73
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Did they throw a new engine in it?

Drive the snot outta it till they take it back
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #74
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Did they throw a new engine in it?
Nope. GM chose the “cheapest” route.

I spoke with the field engineer in charge of the case, and he actually said that he’s worked on a few where an engine replacement was immediately authorized. But they typically have extensive block damage.

Mine appeared to have spun a bearing. I was able to immediately shut down the engine and prevented “catastrophic” loss, but that worked against me since upon tear down they realized they can just rebuild the bottom and be done with it.

Sigh. They saved a few bucks by rebuilding, but they LOST tens of thousands from having to buy the car back and slap a lemon title on it (by my calc they stand to lose about $35K on the buy back) not to mention the grief I had to go through and basically lose me as a future customer forever.

Nice job GM.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #75
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Nope. GM chose the “cheapest” route.

I spoke with the field engineer in charge of the case, and he actually said that he’s worked on a few where an engine replacement was immediately authorized. But they typically have extensive block damage.

Mine appeared to have spun a bearing. I was able to immediately shut down the engine and prevented “catastrophic” loss, but that worked against me since upon tear down they realized they can just rebuild the bottom and be done with it.

Sigh. They saved a few bucks by rebuilding, but they LOST tens of thousands from having to buy the car back and slap a lemon title on it (by my calc they stand to lose about $35K on the buy back) not to mention the grief I had to go through and basically lose me as a future customer forever.

Nice job GM.
I would think you are, but get this spread out on as many forums as you can. I'm certain that there are many considering moving on to a Corvette, but your experience may bring them doubts; not so much on the car, but the treatment by GM of its customers.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      07-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #76
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

How good does that car look compared to the current model.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17344.50
      07-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #77
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
+1, looks awesome! Such a shame about the service....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #78
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
No matter how "good" it looks or how well it performs, compared to models past or present...You can't get me to touch a GM product with a 1 million ft pole ever again.

Short story long. Car was in the dealership for 3+ months for what they diagnosed as spun bearing. Instead of shipping a new engine they spend 3 months going back and forth on figuring out what to fix, and at the end, replaced 2 bearings, the crank shaft, and the 2 associated pistons. According to GM Field Engineer, "it's the CHEAPEST" solution, and GM will always go with the cheapest solution.

Picked up the car, and within 15 minutes knew something wasn't fixed right. Car rattled and knocked like crazy. I was shocked that they even let me take the car off the lot, like the mechanic that put the car together didn't even bother to fire up the engine and drive around the block. F**king incompetence level 3000. Return immediately to the dealership and it took them ANOTHER MONTH to diagnose and "fix" the problem. Wasn't until I asked if I can have a loaner or rental to cover my transportation needs, did they call in the Field Engineer again to resolve the issue.

I've had the car back in my possession now for nearly 3 weeks. So when I was called back, after 4+ months in the shop, to test drive the car with the Field Engineer, car "appears" fixed. I put "appears" I quotes because in the 10 minutes I drove with the Field Engineer, car operated as it should. In the 3 weeks since, I've been trying to enjoy the ownership of an $88K car as much as I can, but after a couple of extended drives (20 minutes or more) I noticed the engine has a loud, obnoxious knocking sound once it's warmed up and operated and driven for a while. And the knocking sound only appears after it's warm, and it sounded like an engine that's about to blow up and throw a few more rods.

Then a friend pointed out to me "hey is your dash suppose to do that?"

See attached.

I had to laugh. Out of bitterness. I guess if I had to look for a silver lining, IF this sh*tty car didn't fall to pieces RIGHT NOW, I'd be stuck with an absolute lemon that cost more than a Porsche Cayman S that looks good skin deep, but has nothing but trouble that I'd have to spend tens of thousands of dollar to fix post warranty. I mean, I thought my ownership experience with the E60 545i was bad, THIS would absolutely put it to shame.

The REAL sad part, is that this is par for the course for GM. The dash coming apart like this has been a problem with C5, C6, C7, and now C8. On the Corvette Forum there's already a long thread with numerous owners complaining of dash delaminating, and there's only a few thousand on the road right now.

Let this be a cautionary tale y'all. There's a reason why Corvette "offers" super car like performance and looks for a fraction of the cost. And that reason ain't good.

It's absolute garbage the corners they had to cut to make these cars. Don't ever own one guys. EVER.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
quick6750.50
wdb4673.00
MmmmmM22578.00
      07-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #79
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Don't ever own one guys. EVER.
Well, you've certainly sold me. I always told myself that when I had my mid-life crisis (at the age of 60), I might just get a C6 Z06 (my favorite), but seeing your epic tale, I'm going to skip that crisis altogether.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      07-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #80
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
No matter how "good" it looks or how well it performs, compared to models past or present...You can't get me to touch a GM product with a 1 million ft pole ever again.

Short story long. [snipped]
This is sad in several ways, but may be good for you in the end. This is a lemon. Chevy should give you your money back.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #81
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

This has always been an issue with GM. My father special ordered a 78 corvette fully loaded, picked everything out just how he wanted only for it to arrive wrong. His headliner was even falling down on day 1. He made them take the option price off for each thing wrong. Kept the car a very short while, said it drove terribly and something was always wrong. Say Corvette to him and to this day he still cringes. But for some crazy reason he still owns a Chevy...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #82
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
It's absolute garbage the corners they had to cut to make these cars. Don't ever own one guys. EVER.
I leased my ZL1 for these reasons, I didn't really trust GM. The car was not entirely without issues.
1. It had a well know 'clunk' that was an under tightened front swaybar, I didn't even bother with the dealer, I went to my local mechanic had he had it fixed in a hour or two.
2. The headliner was 'undersized' the edges up by the windshield wouldn't tuck, and you could see a frayed edge of the cloth, replaced (they had to remove the windshiled to do it, and they broke it...and had to order another one a wait), the replacement liner wasn't as good as it should be either, but I let it go because Lease.
3. I did have a sensor issue, some sort of mass air flow thing (not sure if it was that specifically, but it wasn't correctly reading boots/ambient pressure). It took 3 or 4 trips to the dealership, had to 'escalate' it got the regional guys involved etc.

I did enjoy the car, and I'm not totally afraid of GM, but I'm not sold on them either.

I can forgive some things, I know that costs are being reduced somewhere so I can drive a car with insane performance for a relatively low price. But, those cost cutting materials still need to fit together properly, and (in the case of OP) the thing needs to be reliable.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #83
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Any updates? This was a pretty interesting read, being that I work in a dealership environment myself
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #84
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
No kidding, I saw a C8 on the road yesterday and it was hideous. The C7 Grandsport/Z06 look is far superior.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22578.00
      08-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #85
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
Any updates? This was a pretty interesting read, being that I work in a dealership environment myself
GM has reached out to the law firm representing me for some documents. That’s it. No words of whether they will follow CA Lemon Law and buy the car back.

I suspect they’ll drag this out as long as they legally can. Because they can. And because GM.

In the mean time, the engine started developing this nasty rattle:

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #86
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I just had a co-worker successfully lemon his 2019 GMC Sierra over a malfunctioning radio that corporate wasn't able to fix. It took him maybe 4-5 months of jumping through hoops but nowhere near the level you went through. He's a die hard Chevy fan so of course he's in a Silverado now (as of this week). I don't understand why they are committed to giving you a hard time, wow.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:16 AM   #87
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
GM has reached out to the law firm representing me for some documents. That’s it. No words of whether they will follow CA Lemon Law and buy the car back.

I suspect they’ll drag this out as long as they legally can. Because they can. And because GM.

In the mean time, the engine started developing this nasty rattle:

Sadly I'm not even surprised. Of course the engine wasnt going to last...the sheer ineptitude is mind blowing!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #88
Voyager7
Rep
Drives: BMW 2

That sounds realy awful, my guess is one cylinder isn't working properly, maybe a misfire or a big end.

I think it's time you start using that car for what it's made for, use the power, redline it when hot and drive it hard.

If it breaks again, you want it truly broken.

(I know as a car lover, that's not good advice, but i seems you've given up on this one anyway.)
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven463.00