BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Autocar: BMW design boss defends radical styling direction

10-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #177
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

BMW's grile used to be associated with the nose, now it is clearly the ass.
Appreciate 3
sq86363.00
J-RO2078.00
bmw1racer998.00
      10-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #178
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Nice try at turning this into "changing to stay ahead of the competition". How about addressing his lack of creating a beautiful and different design rather than what we have which is different and ugly design?
Those are all subjective statements. We all find different things beautiful or ugly......tasty or nasty.....etc. There are no definitive answers when it comes to subjective things.
Right… just like Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlett Johansson, or Jennifer Lopez are "subjectively" attractive. There are underlying themes which cause us to see "beauty." One may be more important to you than I but there's certain shared commonalities. I understand what you're trying to get at but you have to call a spade a spade when you see one. And this is a Fugly one.

The most poignant line I took away from his commentary was this: "If you are no longer successful, people will immediately start saying you need to make changes, but then you are in panic mode." This is where they're at right now, or about to be. The poop is about to hit the fan in Munich. They're already under pressure considering their failed (in their eyes) EV/hybrid rollout. Seems like a bad time to start messing with design language at this point but we've seen failures happen before. It's just a hard pill to swallow for those of us who enjoyed those shared design commonalities for so long before this.
Failed in their eyes?

They see it as a success.
Have you seen any of the commentary on why Krueger stepped down or was let go? Outwardly, sure they want us to see it as you say but they don't feel it is a true success.
Failure would mean a change in direction.

That's not what they are doing.

Full Steam Forward with Electrified...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #179
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Does everyone remember the controversial Chris Bangle Designed cars? The 7 and 5 series of that era have just about died at this point. The classic e39 and e46 though dates still look great when I see them. Change is good, but if you radically try to do something different fans wont like it. Also, think about the 911... the 996 headlights got horrible reviews as a departure from the class look, and guess what.. we all still hate them and while the 993 rises in value you can get a 996 for 10k. change and evolution is good if it is in fact good change and evolution.
Appreciate 1
Alx00710.50
      10-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #180
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3 View Post
Does everyone remember the controversial Chris Bangle Designed cars?
Quite a few... including the many people who have already mentioned Bangle in this thread.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #181
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Z4M40i View Post
I can't believe that I'm the only one??
Possibly one of the silent majority.

When we see the actual production car and note the sales volume, we'll know.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #182
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
full steam towards electrification, yet they're like the slowest in the major players...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #183
Logical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Where do u put the license plate??
In the trash.

Front plates are for the garage wall at best.
Well that's true but you must not live in USA. We don't have that option
2015 F86 X6 M (Retired)
2014 F10 M5 (Retired)
2010 E70 X5 M (Retired), 2010 E92 M3 MT (Retired)
2006 E60 M5 (Retired), 2000 E39 M5 MT (Retired)
1999 E39 328i (Retired), 1995 525i (Retired)
1987 325i (Totaled - that was fun!)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #184
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the trash.

I actually do.

Just not in one of the extremely uptight states.

If I had to run one, if get one of the tow hook mount plate holders.

I also find that when I do get pulled over, the nicer I am, the nicer they are in return.
      10-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #185
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the trash.

I actually do.

I also find that when I do get pulled over, the nicer I am, the nicer they are in return.
His question is actually important. Pretty much every US vehicle is designed with rear AND FRONT license plates in mind. Whether you want to install one or not, that's up to you. But legally, you must mount a front license plate on your vehicle (depending on state registered in) and using the front tow hook or on the dash in the front windshield is not really a solution the average customer would approve of.
      10-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #186
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I'm pretty open minded but i'll never accept those grills. Totally out of balance with the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #187
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

LOOK AT ME! LOOK ATE ME!

I AM DRIVING A BMW!

Blinking Machine Werke
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #188
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the trash.

I actually do.

His question is actually important. Pretty much every US vehicle is designed with rear AND FRONT license plates in mind. Whether you want to install one or not, that's up to you. But legally, you must mount a front license plate on your vehicle (depending on state registered in) and using the front tow hook or on the dash in the front windshield is not really a solution the average customer would approve of.
Then like an Audi, dead in the middle is the only option the way I see it.
      10-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #189
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I'm pretty open minded but i'll never accept those grills. Totally out of balance with the front of the car.
We haven't actually seen the real reveal.
      10-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #190
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nice try at turning this into "changing to stay ahead of the competition". How about addressing his lack of creating a beautiful and different design rather than what we have which is different and ugly design?
Those are all subjective statements. We all find different things beautiful or ugly......tasty or nasty.....etc. There are no definitive answers when it comes to subjective things.
Right… just like Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlett Johansson, or Jennifer Lopez are "subjectively" attractive. There are underlying themes which cause us to see "beauty." One may be more important to you than I but there's certain shared commonalities. I understand what you're trying to get at but you have to call a spade a spade when you see one. And this is a Fugly one.

The most poignant line I took away from his commentary was this: "If you are no longer successful, people will immediately start saying you need to make changes, but then you are in panic mode." This is where they're at right now, or about to be. The poop is about to hit the fan in Munich. They're already under pressure considering their failed (in their eyes) EV/hybrid rollout. Seems like a bad time to start messing with design language at this point but we've seen failures happen before. It's just a hard pill to swallow for those of us who enjoyed those shared design commonalities for so long before this.
Failed in their eyes?

Have you seen any of the commentary on why Krueger stepped down or was let go? Outwardly, sure they want us to see it as you say but they don't feel it is a true success.

I guess you don't understand the definition of failure. From Merriam-Webster dictionary: failure: lack of success; falling short. Look it up. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/failure

That doesn't mean they're changing direction, which you seem to think is what I'm referring to, it's not. It means they haven't hit their goals. Whether they were/are realistic, or not, is another debate.

This is off topic though and is not concerning the defense of the styling language.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #191
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSERGEI-BY View Post
BMW's grile used to be associated with the nose, now it is clearly the ass.
You could say it's back asswards

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #192
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Failed in their eyes?

I guess you don't understand the definition of failure. From Merriam-Webster dictionary: failure: lack of success; falling short. Look it up. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/failure

That doesn't mean they're changing direction, which you seem to think is what I'm referring to, it's not. It means they haven't hit their goals. Whether they were/are realistic, or not, is another debate.

This is off topic though and is not concerning the defense of the styling language.
Using your definition, anything less than 100 is a failure.

Furthermore, using your definition, BMW has failed as a Car Company in the United States for a number of years now.

In fact, using your terms, BMW has failed in every Country but China this year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #193
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Failed in their eyes?

Furthermore, using your definition, BMW has failed as a Car Company in the United States for a number of years now.

What's your point? :

This has nothing to do with the OP topic, which is regarding the design language of these newer looking cars.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      10-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #194
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Failed in their eyes?

What's your point? :

This has nothing to do with the OP topic, which is regarding the design language of these newer looking cars.
My point is simple....that what you claim to be a BMW failure was not.

No Corporate Head of a Public Company would dare continue full steam ahead on a program that was seen as a Company "failure".
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #195
JoeBowen
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

The grill is silly. It's like the penis compensation front end of a mid-70s Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #196
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the trash.

I actually do.

I think in NYC if you street park without front plate you're probably going to come back with a ticket to start with...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #197
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My point is simple....that what you claim to be a BMW failure was not.

No Corporate Head of a Public Company would dare continue full steam ahead on a program that was seen as a Company "failure".
Reread my second to last post and maybe you'll understand. I'm not going to debate this further.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #198
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Pandering to the Chinese market because that's where the money is

Has it got Tegrity?