BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Autocar's first impressions of the RS5

05-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #243
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Considering the hardware on the car, the RS5 is not overweight. The days of 3200 lb sports cars are gone, except for a few nameplates (Corvette, Porsche, Lotus ..)

Automakers are overdoing it in terms of crash protection, knowing that there will be a few who recklessly drive these cars. That, and the increasing amount of technology in cars are responsible for the overall weight increase through the years.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #244
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
Considering the hardware on the car, the RS5 is not overweight. The days of 3200 lb sports cars are gone, except for a few nameplates (Corvette, Porsche, Lotus ..)

Automakers are overdoing it in terms of crash protection, knowing that there will be a few who recklessly drive these cars. That, and the increasing amount of technology in cars are responsible for the overall weight increase through the years.
Heh that's very true. Once automakers create a striped down version for solely performance gains, the car enthauists go all over it cuz they all know just how much better the drive will be. Tho almost always, those "special performance versions" come at a cost, almost all luxury/comfort items in the regular car are gone.

You get something and you lose something at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #245
McCartney
Private
Rep
Drives: undisclosed

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2011-au...ts-10-hp-bump/

Footie check this out... What's up with the blogger saying early 2011? That seems more feasible than a year delay. Can you find out if this is true? I was due to buy an M3 this year but I can wait an additional 6 months if the car is going to be here before June 2011.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #246
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2011-au...ts-10-hp-bump/

Footie check this out... What's up with the blogger saying early 2011? That seems more feasible than a year delay. Can you find out if this is true? I was due to buy an M3 this year but I can wait an additional 6 months if the car is going to be here before June 2011.
I suggest you drive both but here's a taste of things to come:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=rs5
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #247
McCartney
Private
Rep

Do you think the car actually has a chance of arriving here in the first half 2011?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #248
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Do you think the car actually has a chance of arriving here in the first half 2011?
I honestly don't know whether it would be there in the first half or the latter half but I do know that it will be 2011 for sure. Whether it's better or worse than the M3 is frankly up to the individual, all the information I was told was that the RS5 would be quicker than an M3. The Sportauto test would suggest otherwise, though that is just one test and I am sure you will find other tests to come with a completely different outcome.

One thing I am confident in saying is that cross country on public roads, the RS5 will be quicker in the hands of 95% of drivers.

The question is whether you are completely honest with yourself and your own abilities and buy the car best suited to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #249
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I was told was that the RS5...
I was sure you worked for Audi.

Quote:
Cross country on public roads, the RS5 will be quicker in the hands of 95% of drivers.
Are saying that all these 95% of drivers should go and get an RS5 to be "faster"?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #250
McCartney
Private
Rep

I like a "driver's car" but I also want to be able to have a piece of mind that it's flexible in the way it's driven.

Meh. I hope it comes here soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #251
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I honestly don't know whether it would be there in the first half or the latter half but I do know that it will be 2011 for sure. Whether it's better or worse than the M3 is frankly up to the individual, all the information I was told was that the RS5 would be quicker than an M3. The Sportauto test would suggest otherwise, though that is just one test and I am sure you will find other tests to come with a completely different outcome.

One thing I am confident in saying is that cross country on public roads, the RS5 will be quicker in the hands of 95% of drivers.

The question is whether you are completely honest with yourself and your own abilities and buy the car best suited to you.
Ugh, your posts are such thinly-veiled, biased filth.
      07-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #252
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I was sure you worked for Audi.

Are saying that all these 95% of drivers should go and get an RS5 to be "faster"?
Stop with this BS. And no I am not saying that 95% of drivers should get the RS5 to simply be quicker, there is much more to any car than simply speed, I was only voicing my opinion based on my experience with quattro and having owned an M3. We already know one outcome when both cars are placed in the hands of a professional, but the facts remain that very few are even close to this standard.

Quote:
I like a "driver's car" but I also want to be able to have a piece of mind that it's flexible in the way it's driven.

Meh. I hope it comes here soon.
I can't give you a time, but I can tell you that the M3 offer more involvement, though I reckon you already knew this fact. What the RS5 will provide is a much wider safety net in which to play, plus still prove involving enough to meet most people's needs though you will need a test drive to confirm whether this is the case for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
Ugh, your posts are such thinly-veiled, biased filth.
It's only classed as biased fifth because this is a BMW forum, if my opinion was that the RS5 was crap and the M3 to be far superior than I doubt you would be making such a claim, which begs the question as to who is the most bias?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion which is something I always welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #253
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
It's only classed as biased fifth because this is a BMW forum, if my opinion was that the RS5 was crap and the M3 to be far superior than I doubt you would be making such a claim, which begs the question as to who is the most bias?
ha. too bad he doesn't own a m3 or a bmw.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #254
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
I only know 2 people that own a M3 and drive it during the winter time. 1 is living in Toronto as well and he puts on good winter rubber. No major issues but he does wish for a suv or 4wd vehicle during the Canadian winters. The other person I don't know personally but he lives in Montreal. He never spoke about any problems during the wintertime with his M3.

That's all know about man, I've never driven a M3 during the wintertime so I can't really comment on if it can handle it well or not.

I'm assumption is that the RS5 would do pretty well under snow/icy conditions. And yes, good rubber makes all the difference as well
i assure you it can. better than some car out there. winter tires and some common senses are key. not awd.

what footie said was true as well. it all subjective. i have a friend who would only buy audi because of the confident that awd provided to him. he didn't like it when his 5 series rear end came out when he took the corner faster than usual in the rain one time and it freaked him out. since then he always purchased awd cars.

if you don't like drama, rs5 is a great car. it is beautiful and quality inside out. But I just love the drama and it feel great when the back end comes out.

I still prefer the look of the s5 over the rs5 though. I think the rs5 is a bit too busy exterior wise for my taste. again this is my opinion, someone else may like the aggresive look of the rs5 more.

Last edited by graider; 07-27-2010 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #255
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

lol @ you ppl complaining, you'd take one in a heart beat
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #256
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
lol @ you ppl complaining, you'd take one in a heart beat
lol, exactly.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #257
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
ha. too bad he doesn't own a m3 or a bmw.
Too bad you don't that he actually did own an M3 with a DCT for a good period. He contributed quite a lot to M3post.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #258
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
i have a friend who would only buy audi because of the confident that awd provided to him. he didn't like it when his 5 series rear end came out when he took the corner faster than usual in the rain one time and it freaked him out. since then he always purchased awd cars.

if you don't like drama, rs5 is a great car. it is beautiful and quality inside out. But I just love the drama and it feel great when the back end comes out.
Very well put my friend.

Not everyone prefers the slightly twitchy nature of a rwd chassis, sure ESP/DSP can reign everything in again when this happens but there is that 'what if' thing in the back of most people's mind about such technology.

This is why I always say that reviews are a guide line at best to point the direction to the possible best motor but it's still up to the individual to decide whether after driving it that they happen to agree. If you like drama (as you put it) then either the M3 or C63 is the ideal choice, plenty of entertainment on demand if you happen to have the skill required to enjoy these motors to the full. But if you much prefer the same speed but the confidence and knowledge that the chassis won't bite you back if you happen to over step the mark then the awd RS5 may well be the best choice for you.

Having owned two performance quattros either side of the M3 I can understand it's appeal to some, but I personally much prefer to refrained approach the quattro provides. The steering will always be an issue with awd cars, especially ones that allow so much of it's power to shift forward but if this isn't that big of a deal then there is still a lot of fun to be had and with the latest quattro system the fun will include some tail action, only in this case it's much easier to control.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #259
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Too bad you don't that he actually did own an M3 with a DCT for a good period. He contributed quite a lot to M3post.
footie or boost?

if you meant footie, i know he did own a m3.

Last edited by ghosthi32; 07-28-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #260
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
Audi has hired over 200 employees world wide who's primary responsibility is to spend their entire shift on Twitter, facebook and forums. it is a new initiative they started 6 months ago called "ASNSP": Audi Social Networking Strategic Plan....primary objective...slam the competition...praise the mother ship.
they had to spend 18 weeks in training to learn all technical aspects of their full line and its competition. When they pass a two hour exam....they work from home 10hrs a day....4 days a week.....NICE GIG!!!
Lol are you serious? Maybe that expalins the sudden surge of Audi fanboys lately...fanboys who get offended even at the slightest criticism of any Audi car and reply back with like an essay.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #261
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
That expalins the sudden surge of Audi fanboys lately...fanboys who get offended even at the slightest criticism of any Audi car and reply back with like an essay.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #262
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
footie or boost?

if you meant footie, i know he did own a m3.
My bad I thought you were referring to foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
Audi has hired over 200 employees world wide who's primary responsibility is to spend their entire shift on Twitter, facebook and forums. it is a new initiative they started 6 months ago called "ASNSP": Audi Social Networking Strategic Plan....primary objective...slam the competition...praise the mother ship.
they had to spend 18 weeks in training to learn all technical aspects of their full line and its competition. When they pass a two hour exam....they work from home 10hrs a day....4 days a week.....NICE GIG!!!
This has to be bullshit. Source?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #263
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

call me crazy but I think this is exactly what what made m3post so interesting. i found myself clicking on m3 vs forum right after I login to m3post every single time. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #264
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
call me crazy but I think this is exactly what what made m3post so interesting. i found myself clicking on m3 vs forum right after I login to m3post every single time. LOL
Alas you will have to get your kicks else where as I can no longer post on that section. I must admit that limiting my excess have reduced my interest and input in this forum.
Appreciate 0