BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Just finished an audio upgrade (some pics and instructions)

11-25-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i (2022)

Just finished an audio upgrade (some pics and instructions)

I just finished an audio upgrade on my S30i.

On previous BMWs you could replace the amp quite easily, with an Audiotech Fisher Match UP 7BMW amp, which is plug and play. However, on these and other G series cars, the amp is replaced by the new RAM module, which is a unit that replaces the amp and ASD module, and also handles the radio/sat radio/ and other functions all in one unit, so you can't just replace it with an amp.

I spoke with Audiotech Fisher, who advised that they would be coming out with a new plug and play amp for G series cars sometime in 2020, but I didn't want to wait that long, so asked what else I could do.

They advised that I'd could add an amp/DSP to the car, and would need a DSP/Amp that handled 6 inputs (new BMWs have the front, rear, and subs EQd, so to get a full range signal into a DSP or amp, it needs to combine all three), so that narrowed it down - for combined DSP and amp, they have the Helix V Eight which can take the front, rear, and rear 'sub' speaker level inputs, and output 8 channels - 7 of which can be used to go back into the BMW wiring to drive front, rear, center, and subs on the car, or you can use a standalone DSP and amps.

I was going to order a Helix V Eight, but discovered they are releasing a new version in January, that provides new DSP functions that the Match amps have, but instead of waiting, I decided to go a more flexible and powerful route with a standalone DSP and amps. I ended up getting:

Helix DPS.3
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...ocessors/dsp.3

2 x Mosconi One 130.4 (one driving front and rear, one driving center and subs)
https://mosconi-america.com/portfolio/one-130-4/

I got a custom wiring harness from Technic that plugs into the original harness and sits between the RAM module, and the rest - it routes the speaker outputs to a loom for plugging into the DPS, and the speaker outs to plug into the amp, and the rest of the wires to the RAM.
https://technicpnp.com/

Focal ES100k for front door woofer and tweeter replacement using adapters to convert the door speakers to the 3 bolt mount. The tweeters are a drop in replacement for the stock ones, with a small rim of double sided tape to hold them in place around the edge of the tweeter.
https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...-kits/es-100-k

For the rear speakers, I got a pair of the Bowers & Wilkins speakers from the 5 series (plug and play replacement)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lautspreche...2/323877851124

The standard hifi doesn't have rear tweeters, so I got a pair of Audison Voce 1.1 and fitted them to the rear panel next to the woofers.

Most of the install was easy, the toughest parts were figuring out how to take the car apart, as there's not much online like there is for other models, and also tuning the DSP was quite a process, but it was all worth it.

I mounted the amps and DSP to a board that I covered in black carpet, so it matches the trunk, which is placed at the back of the trunk, behind the back panel. All the wiring is out of sight underneath the board, mostly wrapped in Tesa tape.

Some photos below of various parts stripped so you can see what's going on to do any of this yourself, but I am also happy to help explain anything if anyone wants to take the door cards off, or strip the boot, or get access to the speakers in the rear panel.

I forgot to take photos of the rear panel access, but you get to the speakers by removing the clip on cover over the roll bars, which reveals 5 T20 screws holding the top part of the panel, and then also unclipping the seatbelt guides, which reveals another screw. You can then pull back the panel far enough to reach the 3 T20 screws that hold each speaker bracket in place, unclip the wire, and remove the bracket. Replace the speakers in the bracket, and put them back in the car.

For anyone that wants a simpler upgrade - the new Helix V Eight will be out in January - this is a combined DPS and amp, so all you'd need to do is install it below the RAM module in the car, and get the harness from Technic to connect it and plug the wires into the input and output sections. No other wiring or messing around required. The stock speakers will sound much better once the DSP has been tuned, and the amp is powering them, but you could also add the speaker upgrades if you wanted to go a step further.

They are also releasing a straight plug and play DSP/AMp like the Match up with the harness included for even easier plug and play, in Q3 2020 if you prefer to wait.

Door cards - use a pry tool to remove the handle cover - pop from the top, working down to the bottom - the bottom slides out towards the front of the car - see the metal bar on the handle for a clue

There's also a screw hidden behind a cover behind the door lock pull:

hatch open with wires going through to test an underseat sub (will route it out of sight if I decide to keep it), and the usb wire for tuning the DSP, will be removed once fully finished fine tuning.

Last edited by auditorycanvas; 11-25-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 6
Jason40299.50
ToysArs60.50
jcard71153.50
crz4793.50
      03-10-2023, 08:27 PM   #2
alienagenda
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Z4 M40i with HK S688a

Now that I see all that crap on the back wall, I wonder if getting those subs out is even a possibility?

I do have tweeters in the rear with the 4 inches as components.
The subs are garbage IMHO so I want them replaced.

Did you consider removing the subs on the back wall and replacing?

Kevin
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2023, 01:01 PM   #3
jvilla107
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 Skyscraper/Magma

Garage List
2023 BMW 430i GC  [8.00]
2023 BMW Z4  [9.93]
Please tell me scotch locks were not used as a permanent method of splicing wires.
Those things are as reliable as an Alpha Romeo.