BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum New Z4 M40i waiting a long time at the dock

02-07-2022, 12:22 PM   #1
bimmindisney
Rep
Drives: 18 F-150, 22 z4 M40i (Transit)

Garage List
New Z4 M40i waiting a long time at the dock

Hello all!
I've been reading this for a while now since ordering my Z4 back in the beginning of November. The car finished production on 1/21 and I have it noted to be delivered to the PCD. It has been at the dock since 1/25 and I'm just curious if anyone else has a similar production finish date and has heard anything about when it might leave the port.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
there are plenty of threads noting the RAM install plus someone did a PCD delivery and it added like an extra month. You can check with your SA to see if there are any stop sales or open work orders.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
bimmindisney
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
there are plenty of threads noting the RAM install plus someone did a PCD delivery and it added like an extra month. You can check with your SA to see if there are any stop sales or open work orders.
Thanks TAZ, I've seen those threads. From what I gathered from those a lot of them were happening at the VPC in Charleston as opposed to where my car is currently sitting in Bremerhaven. I checked with the SA and they didn't have anything. Don't know if they just couldn't be bothered to look or that they honestly couldn't find anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #4
Blaster1956
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmindisney View Post
Hello all!
I've been reading this for a while now since ordering my Z4 back in the beginning of November. The car finished production on 1/21 and I have it noted to be delivered to the PCD. It has been at the dock since 1/25 and I'm just curious if anyone else has a similar production finish date and has heard anything about when it might leave the port.

Thanks!
Similar story here, car was completed on 21/01, spent a few days waiting for transport, and has now been at Cuxhaven in Germany for 5 days waiting for a ship to UK. No idea when it is likely to be shipped but I have an estimated delivery date from Genius of w/b 21st Feb.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Mine also seemed to have stayed at Bremerhaven for a long time (almost a month). But it also spent a month in Quality Check. It seems, in some cases (line mine and maybe yours), the communications from BMW about the status of your build may not be accurate. Hope you receive some good news about your car's status soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Try checking the M3/M4 forum for this.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #7
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
My M440cv has been completed and sitting in the factory parking lot since 12/17. I'm doing PCD so maybe that is playing into the delay. Apparently I have no open recalls (yet).

For anyone not aware, you can check your possible open recalls on these two sites:

https://bmw-recall-tool.netlify.app/

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quic...e-recalls.html
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #8
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Thanks TAZ, I've seen those threads. From what I gathered from those a lot of them were happening at the VPC in Charleston as opposed to where my car is currently sitting in Bremerhaven. I checked with the SA and they didn't have anything. Don't know if they just couldn't be bothered to look or that they honestly couldn't find anything.
You're welcome. Mine sat in Bremerhaven 3 weeks before getting on a ship for Galveston. It spent 6 weeks at the VPC waiting on the RAM. I'm sure you read that thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #9
Skinbc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2022

My z4 has been at the port since 1/19. It also has open "enhancements" for the ram and parking assist control unit so should spend a while at New York VPC as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:37 AM   #10
bimmindisney
Rep

Garage List
Quick update on this.
My z4 got to the port of Brunswick on 2/27. It's been there waiting for the "open enhancements". I spoke with my dealer yesterday and he confirmed that the current war in Ukraine could affect the availability of parts for these open recall issues. He stated that there are not a lot of details on how much of an effect it will be though.
Fingers crossed for everyone else waiting too. Perfectly fine waiting as I don't want to complain considering what others are going through and I'm just waiting on a $70k car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:50 AM   #11
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Quick update on this.
My z4 got to the port of Brunswick on 2/27. It's been there waiting for the "open enhancements". I spoke with my dealer yesterday and he confirmed that the current war in Ukraine could affect the availability of parts for these open recall issues. He stated that there are not a lot of details on how much of an effect it will be though.
Fingers crossed for everyone else waiting too. Perfectly fine waiting as I don't want to complain considering what others are going through and I'm just waiting on a $70k car.
I feel ya. Waited an extra 2 months for the RAM last year. Frustrating to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #12
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quick update on this.
Good attitude!

Just enjoy the anticipation.
Appreciate 1
tall0n136.50
      03-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #13
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Good attitude!

Just enjoy the anticipation.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #14
Skinbc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2022

Quote:
Quick update on this.
Mine was on the Elektra, docked last week in NYC, 9th i believe. The PMA and Ram stop sales were closed out by Monday and I made it to the dealer in PA on Tuesday, picking up Saturday. Seems to be a total crap shoot as to who gets what parts at the VPC. I saw on other forums that all models seem to be affected by the randomness.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #15
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinbc View Post
Mine was on the Elektra, docked last week in NYC, 9th i believe. The PMA and Ram stop sales were closed out by Monday and I made it to the dealer in PA on Tuesday, picking up Saturday. Seems to be a total crap shoot as to who gets what parts at the VPC. I saw on other forums that all models seem to be affected by the randomness.
Congrats.
Appreciate 1
Skinbc126.00
      03-18-2022, 05:41 AM   #16
M3X3Z3
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d G01

Sooooooo, over and above the Chip shortage we now have Ship shortage as well.

Apparently that car carrier ship with all the VWs, Porches and Lambos on board that recently caught fire and sank was part of a relatively small collection of car carrier ships.
It's recent demise has left a big hole in the carrier fleet with no spare ship lying in the second hand dock available to fill that hole.

As a result my 40i that was supposed to arrive mid March will now only arrive end April / mid May.
🤔🤯😭

Difficult times for car buyers, even worse times for car manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 07:29 AM   #17
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3X3Z3 View Post
Sooooooo, over and above the Chip shortage we now have Ship shortage as well.

Apparently that car carrier ship with all the VWs, Porches and Lambos on board that recently caught fire and sank was part of a relatively small collection of car carrier ships.
It's recent demise has left a big hole in the carrier fleet with no spare ship lying in the second hand dock available to fill that hole.

As a result my 40i that was supposed to arrive mid March will now only arrive end April / mid May.
🤔🤯😭

Difficult times for car buyers, even worse times for car manufacturers.
Good things are worth waiting for and the Z4 M40i definitely qualifies as one of them. Just be grateful that your car wasn’t on the ship that went down.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #18
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks!
Hi, Folks! Shiny new ATL metro area member here.

I'm presently awaiting delivery of a Z4 with a 1/20 production date from the Brunswick port, where it arrived on 3/5.

Thanks to the helpful people of Bimmerpost, I've learned about the Genius line, who told me that the car was officially received by the VDC on 3/7 and had an open work order. Unfortunately, they were not able to tell me what the work order specified. But I was able to find the recall info link in another forum posting and it shows that the car is waiting for both the PMA and RAM installs.

As far as I can tell from the VIN decoder sites I've visited, the car is not missing any of the options I am expecting it to have (including the touchscreen interface - no dreaded 6UY code). So, yay to that.

Amusingly enough, my daily driver has been out of commission now for nearly a month - the keyless ignition component that recognizes the key failed and the replacement part was on global backorder with no existing inventory. If I'm very fortunate, the part will arrive at the dealership today and I'll get it back sometime within the next week. Fingers crossed.

I had already been actively looking for a convertible for a few weeks before my ignition problem. Because I put a deposit down on a Z4 that was already allocated to a dealership (the very same day that I dropped my daily off at the dealership for repair incidentally), I had absolutely no insight into how any part of this process worked until I discovered Bimmerpost. In fact, I naively thought I might take delivery of the Z4 before I got my daily-driver back.

Anyway, I cross shopped the Z4 with used & new Boxster Ses, Camaro ZL1 convertibles, and C7 & C8 Corvettes convertibles, but settled on the Z4 M40i pretty early. And that was a bit unexpected, because I really thought I wanted a manual and discounted the C8 Corvette and Z4 a bit at the outset for that reason (plus actual C8 prices are just ridiculous). The Z4 just hits the mark for me and I am very much looking forward to visiting all my favorite north GA, eastern TN, and western NC mountain towns as soon as I take delivery - whenever that is.
Appreciate 4
CJ4211563.50
Geradeaus378.00
TAZ0071846.50
      03-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #19
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Congratulations! Hope you get it soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks!
Hi, Folks! Shiny new ATL metro area member here.

I'm presently awaiting delivery of a Z4 with a 1/20 production date from the Brunswick port, where it arrived on 3/5.

Thanks to the helpful people of Bimmerpost, I've learned about the Genius line, who told me that the car was officially received by the VDC on 3/7 and had an open work order. Unfortunately, they were not able to tell me what the work order specified. But I was able to find the recall info link in another forum posting and it shows that the car is waiting for both the PMA and RAM installs.

As far as I can tell from the VIN decoder sites I've visited, the car is not missing any of the options I am expecting it to have (including the touchscreen interface - no dreaded 6UY code). So, yay to that.

Amusingly enough, my daily driver has been out of commission now for nearly a month - the keyless ignition component that recognizes the key failed and the replacement part was on global backorder with no existing inventory. If I'm very fortunate, the part will arrive at the dealership today and I'll get it back sometime within the next week. Fingers crossed.

I had already been actively looking for a convertible for a few weeks before my ignition problem. Because I put a deposit down on a Z4 that was already allocated to a dealership (the very same day that I dropped my daily off at the dealership for repair incidentally), I had absolutely no insight into how any part of this process worked until I discovered Bimmerpost. In fact, I naively thought I might take delivery of the Z4 before I got my daily-driver back.

Anyway, I cross shopped the Z4 with used & new Boxster Ses, Camaro ZL1 convertibles, and C7 & C8 Corvettes convertibles, but settled on the Z4 M40i pretty early. And that was a bit unexpected, because I really thought I wanted a manual and discounted the C8 Corvette and Z4 a bit at the outset for that reason (plus actual C8 prices are just ridiculous). The Z4 just hits the mark for me and I am very much looking forward to visiting all my favorite north GA, eastern TN, and western NC mountain towns as soon as I take delivery - whenever that is.
Great roads in the NC mountains. Living in flat Florida I have to plan trips just to get the car on some fun roads. Next trip is to, you guessed it, North Carolina! The Tail of the Dragon is fun, but highway 276 through Brevard is one of the best.

Hope you don't have much longer to wait. And remember, the break-in is 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #21
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Congratulations! Hope you get it soon.
Thanks! I'm trying not to think about it too much. (except for all those times daily I check the MyBMW tracker and to see if the recalls are still open.... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
Great roads in the NC mountains. Living in flat Florida I have to plan trips just to get the car on some fun roads. Next trip is to, you guessed it, North Carolina! The Tail of the Dragon is fun, but highway 276 through Brevard is one of the best.

Hope you don't have much longer to wait. And remember, the break-in is 1200 miles.
Thanks! And, yes: The break-in. To get through the first 1200 I plan to drive it as often as possible during the week. And that likely means at least a couple of long weekend drives taking it easy before I can watch the tach needle sweep all the way to the redline. A lot probably depends on the weather too.

I've been to the Dragon a couple times on motorcycles, but never in a car. And twice was enough - too crowded, and too much variation in driver/rider ability, intent, attention, speed, and vehicle ability to be fun. Both visits were on a weekend day though, and I'm sure it's not quite as frustrating and scary on a quiet weekday. But the area is beautiful, and there are lots of other fun roads up there like the Cherohala Skyway. It's definitely worth the trip!

In fact, I've yet to take a car up there in all the time I've lived in Georgia - cars just weren't as much fun as bikes for a long time. But I am very much planning to visit often with the Z4 once I have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 10:41 PM   #22
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Thanks! I'm trying not to think about it too much. (except for all those times daily I check the MyBMW tracker and to see if the recalls are still open.... )
Sound like exactly what I did during my wait.
Appreciate 0