BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Rolex Submariner

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
547
Rep
738
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Rolex Submariner

Over the years Iíve had a few dozen great watches. Rolex, Panerai, Cartier, etc. After not wearing my SS Submariner (Black face/Date) for several years I let a friend buy it. That was about ten years ago. Now I miss it! Iíve been to/called about a dozen Rolex dealers. No Submariners available. I put myself on several lists and have decided to wait a few months until one becomes available. When did steel Rolex watches get so rare?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4252
Rep
5,273
Posts

Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

At least 4 to 5 years.... by about 2018, long waiting lists... post pandemic, even worse as the factory shut down for a little.

5 years ago, I could walk into a store and choose them.
2 Years ago, I got on 3 lists and was able to get 2 to buy... ended up buying one.
Now - pandemic era - even worse.

Check out used prices if you really want to be shocked.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
547
Rep
738
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
At least 4 to 5 years.... by about 2018, long waiting lists... post pandemic, even worse as the factory shut down for a little.

5 years ago, I could walk into a store and choose them.
2 Years ago, I got on 3 lists and was able to get 2 to buy... ended up buying one.
Now - pandemic era - even worse.

Check out used prices if you really want to be shocked.
I did. Iíd rather wait 10 years than pay some shyster an extra 10k.
Appreciate 3
      12-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #4
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
597
Rep
501
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Just a public-service announcement for you Rolex owners to let you know it's 9:28am EST. I know how unreliable those "great watches" can be when you just want to know the time!
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
10221
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Just a public-service announcement for you Rolex owners to let you know it's 9:28am EST. I know how unreliable those "great watches" can be when you just want to know the time!
If you want to know what time it actually is, check your phone. My Omega Speedy keeps better time than my Rolex.
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
keiridin
Private
United_States
15
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

The problem with Rolex is they are like iPhones. Android is a much better phone but has not market value where iPhones have enormous resale value and can demand such higher over priced watches in comparison. I have both Rolex and Omega (speedy) and hands down Omega is superior for half the cost. Then again, my Omega also brings in half the resale value then a Rolex would.
Appreciate 1
Murf99310221.00
      12-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
VeloF1's Avatar
259
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Just a public-service announcement for you Rolex owners to let you know it's 9:28am EST. I know how unreliable those "great watches" can be when you just want to know the time!
Friendly News flash: No mechanical watch keeps 100% accurate time. Rolex are very accurate for mechanical. You want accuracy—buy a quartz watch or look at you phone. PSA: your car speedo isn’t accurate either. Trade it in on a Tesla. Lol.......analogy not perfect, yet.... Happy Holidays!
__________________
IG @velof1
Appreciate 2
Murf99310221.00
ASAP4252.00
      12-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
2931
Rep
2,071
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

the "scarcity" started about 3-4 years ago now when rolex announced it was going to limit supply throughout the year and trickle out watches to the network instead of dumping them in big batches.

and its gotten to a point where a lot of dealers now wont sell the highly sought after watches to just anyone who wants one; youll have to spend a significant amount on the least desirable watches to get one of the good sport watches.

it was a good business plan for rolex because now they can sell those two tones and datejusts at a much higher rate than before, but it screws the end user. but Rolex's goal has never been to allow just anyone to get a rolex. they want it to be an exclusive thing
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
759
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I bet I could get one if I offered to pay in 9mm ammo.
Appreciate 1
Murf99310221.00
      12-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
erickonphoenix
Second Lieutenant
erickonphoenix's Avatar
United_States
562
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: Gray 328xi Touring
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (0)

I miss mine all the time too. I wore it constantly until somebody was waiting for me behind my car at a Fiesta mart and took it off me at gunpoint. Put me off four figure watches for life or at least in my zip code. If I lived in a gated community and commuted secure parking lot I might consider another one but for sure be very careful where you where these things. Scariest moment of my life and I've had a few close calls.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
Murf99310221.00
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #11
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
759
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I miss mine all the time too. I wore it constantly until somebody was waiting for me behind my car at a Fiesta mart and took it off me at gunpoint. Put me off four figure watches for life or at least in my zip code. If I lived in a gated community and commuted secure parking lot I might consider another one but for sure be very careful where you where these things. Scariest moment of my life and I've had a few close calls.
Yikes. Glad you weren't hurt. A watch can be replaced. Funny part is I used to wear an expensive (ish) Omega in Thailand. They sell so many fake watches there I figured no one would know it was real.

So I'm looking at inventory of a watch vendor that deals in copies. High end copies. And I point at one and say "that is nice". He says "your watch is very nice". I tell him it's a copy and he laughs. Tells me any watch dealer can tell from 10 feet it's a real one.

Now the watch sits in it's winder almost permanently. I could wear it around the house or the club but I usually wear a golf GPS watch so meh. I have a beautiful watch that rarely leaves the box.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
10221
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Just a public-service announcement for you Rolex owners to let you know it's 9:28am EST. I know how unreliable those "great watches" can be when you just want to know the time!
So to take the Rolex keeping crappy time and I don't disagree, I drive a '96 Porsche, if I wanted the best I'd buy a brand new one with a big tune on it, I drive an older car because it's what I enjoy.....I also enjoy my Sea Dweller, there are definitely much better time pieces and better time keepers but it's what I like.
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #13
Colodano
Second Lieutenant
115
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: 2010 X5M
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Co

iTrader: (0)

My experience has been that Rolex need a service every 2 years or so to keep the best time, and you need to be particular about where to have it done. Had a larger Rolex AD do a service on my wife's watch, and it was just not keeping time, and she wore it all the time. Had another place check it out, and they sent it to the main Rolex hub for a better look. The case had been tweaked a bit and needed to be replaced. They obviously did a great job, the watch looked better than new when we got it back, had all new paperwork due to the new serial# etc. but it took around 4 months and cost upwards of 4K, for what should have been a simple service.
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
2931
Rep
2,071
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

if youre wearing any mechanical watch for accuracy, youre doing it wrong. even a rolex, that when properly serviced and has a +/- 2second a day accuracy, is only as accurate as the guy setting the time on it.
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
ASAP4252.00
Murf99310221.00
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
2931
Rep
2,071
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
My experience has been that Rolex need a service every 2 years or so to keep the best time, and you need to be particular about where to have it done. Had a larger Rolex AD do a service on my wife's watch, and it was just not keeping time, and she wore it all the time. Had another place check it out, and they sent it to the main Rolex hub for a better look. The case had been tweaked a bit and needed to be replaced. They obviously did a great job, the watch looked better than new when we got it back, had all new paperwork due to the new serial# etc. but it took around 4 months and cost upwards of 4K, for what should have been a simple service.
this is just wrong. even rolex doesnt recommend servicing in this short of intervals.

ive serviced thousands of watches and most quality watches serviced with the proper oils and greases dont notice any timing changes in 5+ years.
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
Murf99310221.00
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2431
Rep
9,678
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Thanks for starting this thread. Iíve seen the same thing. Used to be able to walk into a store and buy a sub. Nowadays itís 1-2 years wait and even then, they would sell to repeat customers first. Itís become as if theyíre doing you a favor and itís annoying to me. Itís not a LaFerrari where you need to buy Ferraris first before qualifying. Itís a fcking watch that is not limited. I donít care for Rolex and this experience has turned me off from it. My dad is set on a sub though so unfortunately I need to go through this in order to buy him one. I would much rather get a JLC than a Rolex.
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4252
Rep
5,273
Posts

Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

Rolex was never meant to be the best watch around... it was meant to be one of the most sought after and they do damn well at that. Resale value and overall market want proves it. You can thirty other brands and umless you are touching Patek or something liek Audemars, the overall ambience, coolness, luxury favtor and recognition won't come close to Rolex. Their watched are also simple and almost nothing is over the top but keeps classix proportions... the submariner is a beauty in its simplicity.
__________________
2020 HS M2C DCT (Perfect)
2 x N54 (Unreliable)
1 x N55 (Slow)
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #18
Nivarox
Quadrex
Nivarox's Avatar
492
Rep
1,297
Posts

Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Close To German Car Dealer

iTrader: (0)

Not every Rolex steel watch is on high demand , I think you can find Rolex Air King 116900 easily .
However, Rolex Submariner is totally different and it's the most copied watch model I guess .
I think scarcity started back in when Rolex introduced GMT MASTER II BLNR and it topped when Daytona 166500 LN was released and has been escalating since SKY DWELLER BLUE 326934
Rolex Submariner is my favorite model of the crowned brand , I was saying Daytona was when I had it but it turned out to be I love Rolex Submariner more than I did with the Daytona
__________________
Comparing BMW i8 to Tesla Is Like Comparing Apples to Pineapples
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-11-2020, 11:46 PM   #19
henrylee
Lieutenant
henrylee's Avatar
United_States
438
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal OC

iTrader: (3)

I made a similar thread almost exactly 2 years ago and even then it was very difficult. Now it’s straight up insane~

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1575547
__________________
2018 F80 M3 6MT///Black Sapphire w/ Sakhir Orange Leather
2006 S2000 AP2 Laguna Blue Pearl 6MT
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-12-2020, 01:31 AM   #20
ScottSinger
Major General
2195
Rep
5,159
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Rolex was never meant to be the best watch around... it was meant to be one of the most sought after and they do damn well at that. Resale value and overall market want proves it. You can thirty other brands and umless you are touching Patek or something liek Audemars, the overall ambience, coolness, luxury favtor and recognition won't come close to Rolex. Their watched are also simple and almost nothing is over the top but keeps classix proportions... the submariner is a beauty in its simplicity.
As for never meant to be the best watch around, I'm not exactly sure what your referring to. They were probably meant to be a fine tool watch, a reliable device at extreme depth and height.

But I guess one could argue Rolex might/could be the best watch, their cases (no doubt Audemars cases are extremely good) the Rolex 904 steel and the machining for the stems on Rolex. Rolex mainsprings are also extremely good, as are the balance wheels. So Rolex escapements can go up against anything. Is any Tourbillion escapement better than a Rolex escapement ?
Appreciate 1
Frupal546.50
      12-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #21
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
547
Rep
738
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
Friendly News flash: No mechanical watch keeps 100% accurate time. Rolex are very accurate for mechanical. You want accuracyóbuy a quartz watch or look at you phone. PSA: your car speedo isnít accurate either. Trade it in on a Tesla. Lol.......analogy not perfect, yet.... Happy Holidays!
I never bought a Mechanical watch for accuracy. I have a computer (Apple Watch) on my right wrist for that, and also touch less pay almost everywhere I shop. I buy mechanical watches because of the wonder and amazement of all of those tiny parts working in harmony on my wrist. Also itís neat to think that it is running solely on my energy. And they are nice jewelry!
Appreciate 4
Murf99310221.00
ASAP4252.00
VeloF1259.00
      12-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #22
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
10221
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I buy mechanical watches because of the wonder and amazement of all of those tiny parts working in harmony on my wrist. Also itís neat to think that it is running solely on my energy. And they are nice jewelry!
This.
Appreciate 2
Frupal546.50
ZMCoupe30.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST