BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Digital Key Question

11-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #1
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Digital Key Question

Posting here since the Z4 forum is a little lighter on traffic. I had a software update done last week to enable the digital key on my car (there was an issue when I picked it up in May, so it was disabled). The dealer gave me the credit card key, which I was able to set up no problem.

I'm trying to add the key to my iPhone, but I'm not having any luck. The MyBMW app keeps throwing up a"preparation status" error. I remember when I had my last car, I had to use an email I was sent that had a pairing code to get it to work properly.

Does anyone know how to get that email? I called the BMW Genius line this morning and the guy I talked to said he had never heard of it. I thought it would be something simple like logging into my Connected Drive account and requesting it, but I don't see it there either. Always a lot of knowledge around here, so hoping someone knows something I don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 03:22 PM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I don’t remember needing an email to set it up, but it’s been two years since I did it with my M340i.

One unusual requirement is that I think you need to have both physical keys in the car for it to work. Ford used to use a similar process, so nobody (parking lot guy, etc.) could clone a new key if they only had one physical key.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2023, 04:44 PM   #3
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
I don’t remember needing an email to set it up, but it’s been two years since I did it with my M340i.

One unusual requirement is that I think you need to have both physical keys in the car for it to work. Ford used to use a similar process, so nobody (parking lot guy, etc.) could clone a new key if they only had one physical key.
Yes, thanks. I have both keys in the car.

You don't need the email, but I am having an issue with the app and I guess the email is a workaround. I used the email in my M340i when I did it last time.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 03:35 PM   #4
PL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24 X7 40i, 20 E450, 06 Pilot

Not sure if my experience would help here, in my case, using a Samsung, I kept getting similar messages and the activation would fail, Finally I thought of activating the Samsung Wallet first and then the digital key activation worked. You may want to check the Apple Wallet status on your phone, just in case.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2023, 04:17 PM   #5
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PL View Post
Not sure if my experience would help here, in my case, using a Samsung, I kept getting similar messages and the activation would fail, Finally I thought of activating the Samsung Wallet first and then the digital key activation worked. You may want to check the Apple Wallet status on your phone, just in case.
Appreciate the feedback. Apple wallet looks ok.

I also tried it on my wife’s phone, and am getting the same error in the app. :/
Appreciate 0