BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Black screen after trying to code with carly

10-22-2023, 02:15 PM   #1
samjavid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 116i 2018 f20

Garage List
2018 bmw 116i b38  [0.00]
bmw  [0.00]
Black screen after trying to code with carly

tried coding my dads 116i 2018 with only 25k kilometers with carly.
It gave a fault code after trying to code , at first sight no problems but the next day the idrive screen turned dead and black.
It had also when starting the car up an crack in the screen for the first few seconds and after that it turns completely dead.

I tried rebooting multiple times didnt help. then, i tried reflashing the backup off carly but that also gave me an error code.

Now carly app says to disconnect the battery and try again but I don’t trust it after reading other people their expierences.

Can a legend please help this stupid 19 year old boy somehow?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 06:55 AM   #2
JoaoFranco
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 420d

Hello, I had the same problem yesterday with 420d 2016
any solutions yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:35 AM   #3
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Did Carly have a sale or something? Looks like there is another wave of Carly victims across Bimmerpost.

Carly, and most other aftermarket coding equipment is in constant danger of having out of date or straight up incompatible coding files. Once software injects this coding file (in a wrong manner, non the less.), it will corrupt the module. Only external coding utility that I can recommend, is BimmerUtility, but that is a bit more comprehensive software kit that might not be so user friendly and is more expensive and license locked.

Good news is that bootloaders remain untouched and proper coding file can be reinjected via manufacturer's software like ESYS or ISTA. You either need a cheap ENET cable and then people in this forum can help you with the process, or you can bring your car to someone who knows how to do that process. Dealers can also do it by flashing the head unit.
Appreciate 0