BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum HUD Problem After Windshield Replacement

07-02-2022, 06:44 PM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
HUD Problem After Windshield Replacement

So I had my second windshield replaced on Friday. It was supposed to be replaced on Tuesday but the glass delivered to Safelite had a scratch on it and the tech caught it before installation. I was amazed they were able to get another windshield so quickly for the Friday install.

The new windshield looks great except that now the HUD display is out of focus. The projected image is slightly off producing a double image. Safelite is ordering another glass and will replace it under warranty as they say it is a glass defect causing the blur.

It's weird though that there is no way to adjust the display electronically to merge the displayed images into one. I certainly can't do it from the Car setup menu. I'll have to Google the HUD process and see what I can learn.

If you need a windshield replacement, get yours done now before I use up all the OEM stock! How many spares do they manufacture for a car with such limited sales!
Appreciate 2
stlcdr1020.50
      07-03-2022, 01:24 AM   #2
RavenGX
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
So I had my second windshield replaced on Friday. It was supposed to be replaced on Tuesday but the glass delivered to Safelite had a scratch on it and the tech caught it before installation. I was amazed they were able to get another windshield so quickly for the Friday install.

The new windshield looks great except that now the HUD display is out of focus. The projected image is slightly off producing a double image. Safelite is ordering another glass and will replace it under warranty as they say it is a glass defect causing the blur.

It's weird though that there is no way to adjust the display electronically to merge the displayed images into one. I certainly can't do it from the Car setup menu. I'll have to Google the HUD process and see what I can learn.

If you need a windshield replacement, get yours done now before I use up all the OEM stock! How many spares do they manufacture for a car with such limited sales!

It might just be that stuff needs to be recalibrated when installing a new window, they might not have forgotten (or not known how) to do that. It may also be possible that the heads-up display requires a different type of front windshield, i think some have a special coating to make the reflection clearer.
      07-03-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Do they know it’s a windshield problem? Or is that a guess? I’ve had safelite do a couple of windshields in my life; some are excellent, and others just ok, as far as ability goes.

Perhaps BMW need to perform a recalibration of the HUD after a windshield replacement? Or, maybe there is a different windshield for hud use.
      07-03-2022, 08:37 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
If you select your dealer to replace the windshield instead of Safelite do you think the same issue would occur?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #5
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the replies.

Safelite was very quick to recognize the problem being due to defective glass. The HUD specific windshields have a special area where the info is to be projected. Because windshields are constructed by sandwiching glass and plastic together, if a HUD specific area is not provided or is defective the projected info will be doubled slightly. (I'm an expert now after Googling the subject matter. ). I've found references to other BMW owners that have had multiple windshields installed under warranty until they found one that fixed the HUD.

As I mentioned in my post, this is the third windshield to grace my car. I've had no issues with the HUD until now. The recalibration process people talk about is for the lane-keep assist and road sign camera(s). They can't recalibrate the HUD (and didn't need to on the last replacement).

As far as using a BMW dealer for the replacement, I've heard many of them farm the work out (probably to Safelite!). If the problem is the glass, then the dealer would have the same issues if they get the part from the same OEM glass manufacturer. I have no idea how replacement glass is sourced and again am amazed that they can find windshields for the Z4 as easily as they do. At some point I'm expecting Safelite to tell me that they can't get the part locally and it has to be shipped from Germany (Austria?).

I hope they can get this fixed soon as I'll probably turn the HUD off as it is tough to look at the double image. I love the HUD and have it on my other car and will probably only buy cars that offer it as a feature.
Appreciate 1
stlcdr1020.50
      07-03-2022, 02:01 PM   #6
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Thanks for the follow up. I am looking forward to the HUD, having never had one before.

I’ve also had issues with glass replacement: my convertible I just got rid of had to have the glass shipped from Japan! (A batch were actually on their way when I needed one, but it was still several weeks to get the correct one).
      07-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Double image suggest it's not the correct windscreen
For a hud the laminar in between the 2 layers of glass is tapered ( thinner one end than the other) so the 2 images that reflect off the 2 layers of glass are merged as one

If it's not the right windscreen then you'll see 2 images

The bmw dealership should sport that straight away
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 01:11 PM   #8
rikwynnpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY25 Z4 M40i

Safelite are a bunch of hacks

I would never let Safelite work on a BMW. They botched the rear glass replacement on my wife's Lexus so badly that it was hard to comprehend. They get crap glass from non-OEM low cost suppliers and thats likely why yours doesn't work. My Safelite guy argued that (1) the trim piece that he didn't have with him wasn't needed (it was). (2) That water definitely wouldn't get inside the car while they waited for the trim piece (it of course did). Their techs stand in your driveway and lie to you all day long. I called the insurance company and insisted that Lexus have their people fix the glass. Came back perfect. Safelite botched the install 2X before I fired them. Their people are incompetent.

Quote:

Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 03:52 PM   #9
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I had the correct glass installed today and the installation seems to be fine. HUD looks good now. Tech said that they got the glass from BMW so it is OEM.
If you use Satellite be sure to take the car to their shop. Only the best technicians can work in the shop. The guy that pulls up to your garage is most likely a newbie.
Appreciate 3
ebirotedu1464.50
stlcdr1020.50
      07-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #10
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Just had second replacement this AM. Haven’t driven yet, hoping all ok. Took tech 45min to zip through—always neat watching someone that knows what they are doing. $1,286 Out the door with BMW glass, in stock and took two days to ship from Dallas to HOU. Gotta stop blowing money on glass. 58k miles, and holding out for 2023 model (wishing for some cool changes, but doesn’t look like it)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 04:59 PM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
I had the correct glass installed today and the installation seems to be fine. HUD looks good now. Tech said that they got the glass from BMW so it is OEM.
If you use Satellite be sure to take the car to their shop. Only the best technicians can work in the shop. The guy that pulls up to your garage is most likely a newbie.
I dread the thought of going through this ordeal but at least in Florida there is $0 deductible with your car insurance.
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      12-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #12
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
If you select your dealer to replace the windshield instead of Safelite do you think the same issue would occur?
Dealer installed 4th windshield on the car (no issues with previous glass). . .

Get into car at night, after being replaced onsite by dealer's guy who only does BMW. (called dealer, dealer sent their guy out to me--same as taking to the dealer, ya know they don't really do it, normally, right?)--not comparing to Safelite! Not defending Safelite, not one iota--(I obviously didn't use Safelite, not comparing to Safelite, not defending Safelite--so, no Safelite flame responses to me--I don't care, please). Just telling my story--will update with solution when it is all figured out.

1. Start car, see error message and "bong, bong" sound: "Auto lighting and wiping system malfunction."
2. Entire AC panel is unlit (from seat heater to seat heater--nada) and AC / Heater / Fan / Seat heater are all non-functional.
3. Green Rings around Intelligent Safety button aren't lit.
4. App won't start car, nor will remote start from key function.
5. HUD seemed ok--it was night.

Drive home, park car overnight, and pull out of garage:

1-4 all remain issues.
#5. HUD is now very dim--now daylight.

Dealer replaced rain sensor, without any changes resulting, and doesn't know what is causing. . . I have googled, and found I am not the only BMW with similar issues. Pretty sure with some more googling, I can guide the dealer toward some potential fixes. . .

Dealer confirmed that fuse F3 (in BDC fuse block) blew. Replaced F3, and all is working. Glass guy—super engaged to help find a fix—had not seen this happen before, though he exclusively does BMW and stays busy. Thank you, to all who have posted fuse diagrams.

Last edited by goat30i; 12-14-2022 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Resolution
Appreciate 0