BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Official Road Cycling Thread

07-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #595
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Glad to hear your injuries weren't worse. Keep an eye on things especially since you lost consciousness and broke a helmet, that's a serious impact to subject your head to, MIPS or not.
I will be, thanks for your concern.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #596
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Ouch indeed. Not excusing the driver in any way but I wonder why they didn't go single file?
I agree. They should have been riding single file and paying attention. I have the Garmin rear radar system which would have shown both of those vehicles approaching and I would have gotten over. This is why drivers get pissed off at cyclists. I am glad he is ok, could have been much worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #597
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I agree. They should have been riding single file and paying attention. I have the Garmin rear radar system which would have shown both of those vehicles approaching and I would have gotten over. This is why drivers get pissed off at cyclists. I am glad he is ok, could have been much worse.
I have the Garmin rear radar as well. It never misses a vehicle, but paired with my Edge 520, the audible warning is pathetically weak. I never hear it. But between the radar, my mirror, and just the sound of the car itself, I usually know when a car is coming up behind me.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #598
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

The park they were riding in has road side signs throughout stating that cyclist can occupy the whole lane.
      07-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #599
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I have the Garmin rear radar as well. It never misses a vehicle, but paired with my Edge 520, the audible warning is pathetically weak. I never hear it. But between the radar, my mirror, and just the sound of the car itself, I usually know when a car is coming up behind me.
I never hear mine as my hearing is not what it used to be but the screen does turn red around the edge. But like you say radar, mirror, car sound, plus looking back make it much safer.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #600
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
The park they were riding in has road side signs throughout stating that cyclist can occupy the whole lane.
Oh ok. didn't realize that.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #601
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Froome lost the yellow jersey but not by much. Looks like he has some competition this year which should make the rest of the race more interesting. I was surprised Qunitana lost so much time. I think Contador is done.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #602
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
That's gotta piss people off.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #603
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
That's gotta piss people off.
I agree
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #604
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

There are a couple of such roadways in TN that have endless no passing zones and 30-35 MPH speed limits even in the non-twisty areas. I thought about a trip to Land Between the Lakes in TN when I had my Z4, but some Google Maps recon convinced me I'd go crazy plodding along at those speeds behind some huge camper.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #605
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I have a few requests of non-bicycling car drivers. These come from my few months of experience pedaling around my local area, but I tend to think these requests are fairly universal.

1. PLEASE, turn your headlights on at dusk. If the sun is down and the streetlights are on, so should be your headlights. Makes it much easier for me to see you in my tiny mirror.

2. DON'T CUT CORNERS! I almost got nailed tonight but some middle aged woman driving a Buick ark. She apexed a left turn into a blind intersection just as I was coming up on it. I was waaaaaay over on the right and she still had to swerve to avoid me, and then laughed about it. ARGHH!!

3. THINK BEFORE YOU PASS ME!! A young girl who probably had her license a few months passed me on the far left side of the road over a blind hill. While I appreciate the fact that she gave me a ton of room, she put herself in a very dangerous situation by flying over that hill on the wrong side of the road. Wait until it is safe to pass me.

Just to show I'm not all negativity, thank you to all those who saw me resting on the side of the road last week at the top of a nasty hill and asked if I was okay. Your concern reinforces my belief that people are basically decent at their core.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      07-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #606
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have a few requests of non-bicycling car drivers. These come from my few months of experience pedaling around my local area, but I tend to think these requests are fairly universal.

1. PLEASE, turn your headlights on at dusk. If the sun is down and the streetlights are on, so should be your headlights. Makes it much easier for me to see you in my tiny mirror.

2. DON'T CUT CORNERS! I almost got nailed tonight but some middle aged woman driving a Buick ark. She apexed a left turn into a blind intersection just as I was coming up on it. I was waaaaaay over on the right and she still had to swerve to avoid me, and then laughed about it. ARGHH!!

3. THINK BEFORE YOU PASS ME!! A young girl who probably had her license a few months passed me on the far left side of the road over a blind hill. While I appreciate the fact that she gave me a ton of room, she put herself in a very dangerous situation by flying over that hill on the wrong side of the road. Wait until it is safe to pass me.

Just to show I'm not all negativity, thank you to all those who saw me resting on the side of the road last week at the top of a nasty hill and asked if I was okay. Your concern reinforces my belief that people are basically decent at their core.
I think most people are considerate. The ones I worry about are the distracted drivers doing everything buy paying attention. Then there's the aggressive drivers who will cut you off to get where they are going. Road cycling has become very dangerous. Here at the beach I try to go very early or not at all. We do have nice trails right outside our door where vehicles are not allowed. If I ride later in the day I take the hybrid out on the trails.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      07-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #607
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Good fast stage today. Froome didn't lose any time and Qunitana picked up some. Nice to see a Frenchman win on Bastile Day. He is a good young rider.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #608
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Just ordered a Brooks C-17 saddle. LBS owner rides with one and recommends it. I'm on my 3rd saddle from them and I'm still limited to an hour of riding because of the pain. Really beginning to piss me off. I should be able to ride for 2 hours at least at this point. I wish the LBS had Brooks saddles in stock for me to test, but since I ordered it through Amazon, I should be able to return it if it turns out to be a nightmare. But from what I've read, it's a pretty comfy long distance saddle. Fingers crossed.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      07-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #609
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Wife did seattle to Portland today, im at home drinking
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      07-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #610
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Wife did seattle to Portland today, im at home drinking
You drink too much.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #611
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Just ordered a Brooks C-17 saddle. LBS owner rides with one and recommends it. I'm on my 3rd saddle from them and I'm still limited to an hour of riding because of the pain. Really beginning to piss me off. I should be able to ride for 2 hours at least at this point. I wish the LBS had Brooks saddles in stock for me to test, but since I ordered it through Amazon, I should be able to return it if it turns out to be a nightmare. But from what I've read, it's a pretty comfy long distance saddle. Fingers crossed.
Have you been fit on the bike yet? If your fit isn't right, saddle won't make much of a difference.
M_Six16805.50
      07-15-2017, 10:58 PM   #612
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You drink too much.
Yeah! Knob creek
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:12 PM   #613
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you been fit on the bike yet? If your fit isn't right, saddle won't make much of a difference.
I have. And that's helped some. Still, the pain is right along the centerline of my crotch, not in my sit bones. It feels like I'm sitting on a 1" diameter steel rod. My current saddle has cut-outs and helps a bit with that, but it still causes some serious discomfort. The C-17 is all rubber and flexes everywhere, so I'm praying it'll help. We'll see.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #614
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah! Knob creek
I'm sipping the Clyde Mays that TXSTYLE recommended. If you see it, buy it. Very good.

So your wife does distance rides?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #615
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yes some, doing seattle to Vancouver next month she does them every year
Appreciate 1
M_Six16805.50
      07-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #616
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
I have. And that's helped some. Still, the pain is right along the centerline of my crotch, not in my sit bones. It feels like I'm sitting on a 1" diameter steel rod. My current saddle has cut-outs and helps a bit with that, but it still causes some serious discomfort. The C-17 is all rubber and flexes everywhere, so I'm praying it'll help. We'll see.
Have you tried those stubby saddles with no front?
https://www.ismseat.com/comfort-fitness

Also, you shouldn't be 'sitting' a lot. Carry weight on legs, and stand every so often.
Appreciate 0