BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Previews New "Theater Screen" at CES 2022

01-05-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

BMW Previews New "Theater Screen" at CES 2022

BMW Theatre Screen Brings Cinematic Experience into the Vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Group Press Club
Munich. The My Modes make individual mobility in a BMW a particularly intense experience. They create an integrated user experience in the interior that reflects and influences the mood of the driver and their passengers in a specific situational context. More than ever, an atmosphere is established with unique moments full of emotion. At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in 2022, the BMW Group previews another, particularly exclusive version of My Modes in combination with a new and worldwide unique in-car entertainment system for future BMW models. My Mode Theatre transforms the rear of the interior into a private cinema lounge with surround sound and 5G connectivity thanks to the BMW Theatre Screen, a panorama display in 32:9 format. In this setting, every journey becomes a breathtaking cinema experience for the rear passengers with a personalised programme of entertainment on a 31-inch ultra-wide display with a resolution of up to 8K.

Frank Weber, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG Development: "We develop immersive, digital experiences for sheer driving pleasure. In Theatre Mode, the rear of the interior is transformed into a private cinema lounge. With the 31 inch display, 5G connectivity, 8K resolution, surround sound and individual streaming program, an unprecedented experience is created that sets new standards for in-car entertainment."

The large screen with smart TV function is extended out of the headliner on request by a sophisticated rotary movement on two articulated rails at the sides. The BMW Theatre Screen can be controlled by touch operation or using touch pads integrated in the rear doors.

Setting a new benchmark for in-car 4K entertainment.
To help deliver this bold innovation, the BMW Group selected Amazon Fire TV to bring together the content and technology that makes seamless in-vehicle entertainment experiences possible. The Fire TV experience lets rear-seat passengers enjoy a wide variety of content from popular apps, so they can stream movies and TV episodes, listen to music, and watch downloaded programs – all while on the road. This is the first vehicle integration of Amazon Fire TV to support content in 4K, and offers the highest resolution and biggest display of any in-car Fire TV experience. There will be a country-specific offering for customers in China.

Raise the curtain: Atmospheric setting with sound from the cooperation with Hans Zimmer.
The new in-car entertainment experience in future luxury class models from BMW begins with the activation of My Mode Theatre. When the BMW Theatre Screen moves out of the headliner, this is accompanied by a sound experience created exclusively for this purpose in cooperation between the BMW Group and the renowned film music composer and Academy Award winner, Hans Zimmer, which ends at the precise moment when the screen reaches its final position. A graphic animation also appears on the display, specially designed by BMW User Interface Design for the My Mode Theatre. At the same time, the roller sunblinds for the side windows and the rear window are closed and the ambient lighting in the rear of the vehicle is dimmed.

Great cinema: 32:9 panorama display with a resolution of up to 8K.
The BMW Theatre Screen is an ultra-wide panorama display with a screen diagonal of 31 inches that reaches horizontally over almost the entire interior and in height from the headliner to the backrests of the front seats. With a zoom function, the contents of the entertainment programme can be played in width-to-height of 16:9, 21:9 or even in 32:9 format (content may be cropped while zoomed). The exceptionally high display resolution of about 8000 × 2000 pixels per screen column ensures an extremely clear and detailed visual experience when enjoying cinema films in ultra HD quality. The integrated Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System delivers an extremely high-end and multifaceted sound experience.

The tilt of the display can be adjusted by touch operation using the control menu on the in-car entertainment system. This ensures an ideal cinema experience with maximum comfort in every seat position. The corresponding touch controls are also used to select the screen format and two individual passenger volume controls are arranged both on the right and left edges of the display. Alternatively, the passengers can control the entertainment system using the control panels integrated in the door handles.

Full programme: Wide range of entertainment thanks to 5G connectivity and seamless Fire TV integration.
The in-car entertainment system of the future makes it possible to also enjoy the benefits of an extremely modern entertainment experience from the rear seat. An online connection with fast and reliable data transmission is the basis for streaming content. The BMW Group is a pioneer in the implementation of the 5G mobile radio standard in vehicles. The technology flagship BMW iX is the worldwide first premium vehicle to use this standard for data transmission. It will also be used in other models like the BMW i4 in the future. With an extremely high data bandwidth and low latency, it provides an ideal streaming experience with the luxurious in-car entertainment system of the future (the streaming speed is dependent on the network coverage available locally).
Name:  P90448391_lowRes_preview-of-the-in-ca.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  223.7 KB
Name:  P90448319_lowRes_preview-of-the-in-ca.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  242.6 KB

Last edited by stein_325i; 01-05-2022 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Presented In The New 7er.
Attached Images

01-05-2022, 05:35 PM   #3
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Is the screen supposed to flip down from the roof or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
If I had a dollar for every time I hit my head or face on a roof-mounted screen (and DVD player) while climbing into the back seat of an SUV with a screen, I'd have enough cash for one of these.

Maybe the screen flips down only when you're out of park or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Is the screen supposed to flip down from the roof or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
If I had a dollar for every time I hit my head or face on a roof-mounted screen (and DVD player) while climbing into the back seat of an SUV with a screen, I'd have enough cash for one of these.

Maybe the screen flips down only when you're out of park or something.
“…The large screen with smart TV function is extended out of the headliner on request…”
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23684.00
      01-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Hopefully they have a free vinyl seat cover so it's easy to clean up my kid's puke when she gets motion sick from staring at it while we drive somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #7
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Skip to 3:24 to watch the demo.

01-11-2022, 07:49 PM   #8
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Presented In The New 7er.
When's this thing getting unveiled? Isn't it starting production soon? I'm so curious what it's going to look like. Is there even going to be a concept, or just straight to showing the production model?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:49 AM   #9
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

How spoiled do kids needs to be to require this thing. Honestly the thing looks pretty stupid to me. How about look out the window kid like the rest of us have done since cars hit the road.
Go home and watch TV or movies.
What's next, a toilet and shower?
That way you can bathe and watch a movie while you drive to work thereby saving precious time to save the world and invent more dumb shit.
How about a bed so you can have a little lay down or sex while the car drives you around. Where's the BBQ gonna go? Pool in the trunk coming next................. from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 07:41 AM   #10
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
How spoiled do kids needs to be to require this thing. Honestly the thing looks pretty stupid to me. How about look out the window kid like the rest of us have done since cars hit the road.
Go home and watch TV or movies.
What's next, a toilet and shower?
That way you can bathe and watch a movie while you drive to work thereby saving precious time to save the world and invent more dumb shit.
How about a bed so you can have a little lay down or sex while the car drives you around. Where's the BBQ gonna go? Pool in the trunk coming next................. from BMW.
It is being put in a pricey sedan so pretty much every future entitled kid on the block being shuttled to their uber private kindergarden while the parents sit up front sipping their organic free range fair trade kale carrot kombucha juice

It's modern parenting apparently... it surprises me how many of my own friends raise their young kids with YouTube when I don't even have a TV at home anymore.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1246.50
      01-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #11
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

The kind of kids who grow up in the back seat of a sheltered luxury sedan with a wide screen tv will be useless humans. A least give them some hardships to endure.
"Oh father, the TV set won't pick up my favorite shows" We'll sell this junk then children....lol.
Appreciate 1
SlowX6M276.50