BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What is the brokest you've ever been?

08-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #67
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
Pawn shops. I bought a pair of diamond earrings for my wife. Wedding day gift. She suggested we sell them at the time. Pawn shop price: $60. Purchased price: $1295
Yowza! I have a friend who used to run a pawn shop. He explained the model for the pawn business years ago. If a person brings in an item, he scours ebay. Half of the average cost on ebay is what he will sell it for in his shop - he is going to offer you a 1/4 of what he is going to sell it for. $100 item goes for $60 on ebay, he's "going to sell it for $30" which means he is going to offer $7. Ouch!

To add to the theme of the thread, he's currently in prison serving a 7 year sentence for this state alone. The pawn game became very profitable for him, so he opened a gun store/indoor range. Unsure of the business model for the gun range but it failed. He then started a life of crime; robbing pharmacies for highly sought after pain pills & cash. I forget the numbers, but he robbed 11 pharmacies all over this state and several others in surrounding states. He used very intimidating guns that came from his collection & the gun store. Never speaking & always using a note, dressed completely in black and wearing a mask that looked like an old mans face, he was eventually caught during a short high speed chase. I've known him since I was 5 years old and his wife I've known more than half my life. When she told me about what happened, she told me that she thought it was odd that he was having his car painted once a week for a couple of months. It's crazy what people will do to keep that lifestyle/addiction going. I'm sure there is more to the story but I choose to stay out of it. I personally think that he owed the wrong people money and in that situation you do what you have to in order protect your loved ones.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13288.50
      08-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #68
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Nothing nearly as dire as some of the tales I've read in this thread, but here goes.

I was a single parent, steady job, finally "owned" my own home, but we weren't living like kings and the budget was tight. Lots of casseroles for dinner. Every paycheck was carefully divvied up to cover expenses. One time I got paid, earmarked the money needed for monthly payments, then went to the food store. When I got home I looked at what was left over; I had a $20 bill. I needed to make it last for two weeks.

I will never forget that feeling. I've had tight budgets since that time but I have never again felt as poor as I did at that moment. First world poor I guess, but still.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
Soul_Glo13288.50
MKSixer34171.50
      08-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #69
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
Pawn shops. I bought a pair of diamond earrings for my wife. Wedding day gift. She suggested we sell them at the time. Pawn shop price: $60. Purchased price: $1295
They are made for completely desperate people. I feel like the choice is either go the pawn shop or start stealing stuff.

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13288.50
      08-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #70
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

I was born in '46 so my parents told me about the depression. Dad was a welder and made decent money. Once in a while we would go to Phila to see a ball game. Driving through Phila Slums made me think "I don't ever want to be poor" And I never was. Thats my story.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:54 PM   #71
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Oh, i have a pro tip for the ‘broke and hungry’ situation.

Have someone in your circle who works the last shift at a fast food restaurant. It’s a job where tons of openings are available and you’re hired as long as you have a pulse and can show up to work.

Thanks to a very good neighbor and Col. Sanders we had many a potentially hungry night avoided with lukewarm original and extra crispy buckets...
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13288.50
wdb4673.00
      08-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #72
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

From undergrad through law school was always very tight, and I was good at making small amounts last.
In law school, most of my peers were similarly broke. But in undergrad, it seemed like my friends were all shitting cash. They’d want to go for sushi and drinks every weekend, so I’d fill up on bagels at home before meeting up.
Fresh out of law school was fun too. Got what I thought was a good starting salary, only to realize it was nearly 100% spoken for by San Francisco rental prices, student loan payments, and taxes. It took a few years, some raises, and being a cheapskate with my wife to get those loans paid off. That last payment was one of the top 5 days of my life.
Not as dire as some here have had it (kudos to you all!) but it was enough to kick me into overdrive for those years since. Now we have a 1yo and hope to buy a place soon. Long answer to the original question, but the answer is that I’ll be brokest right after we do buy a place!

Last edited by wyatth; 08-03-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13288.50
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      08-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #73
Made38
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
It's kinda weird now honestly. I always said I'd never take a handout. But here I am unemployed, accepted that work is too stressful for my mental state, and am collecting disability. I feel like a mooch sometimes, but know I'm not. Maybe one day my mental state will be better, but for now I'm gonna take it easy.

Sounds exactly like me now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:43 AM   #74
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC 2010 F650GS

My sister and I grew up with a single mother earning $10 per hour with tips, in the late 80’s early90’s. She struggled for years raising 2 kids and paying rent on $400 a week, but we were always fed and always had a roof over our heads even if we bounced around a lot.

While that was difficult, I never knew what poor was until I moved out of the house at 18 because my mom moved to the “bush” and I didn’t want to leave my friends. (Dumb looking back but it made me who I am now, both mentally and financially.)

I spent the first 3 months out of the family home couch surfing friends places, while either working or looking for work to pay for my first year of college. At one particularly difficult point I was out of work and using my unemployment insurance check to pay for school, while living in my car in a friends aunts driveway.

Obviously I kept it together, and I was able to get a job at nights and on weekends parking cars at a local horse racetrack to get myself out of my car. My self and a friend I met at work got a cheap old rental apartment and clambered ourselves out of poverty and into broke ass student status. Lol. It was way better.

Fast forward almost 27 years later and I am married, with a 15yr old, with 5 years left on my mortgage in stupidly expensive suburb of the most expensive city in our country, money in the bank, money in retirement plans, a pension, and a couple of fun cars and bikes.

I made some good decisions in those hard points of life, had a lot of luck, and had some opportunity given to me that made the most difference. I am just happy that my son won’t have to deal with that........if he doesn’t choose to.
Appreciate 3
wdb4673.00
Soul_Glo13288.50
MKSixer34171.50
      08-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #75
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I get where you are coming from. But look at it like this...sometimes you have to make 4-8 years of sacrifice to get to where you need to be. Once you get more "time under your belt" in your profession, find gainful employment in a place you enjoy...then you can start rebuilding. 10 years of struggling is a drop in the bucket to what you can accomplish in the next 10 years coming up.

Another thing I always did with any place I worked or looked into working at was if they offered some type of annual budget for continuing educational classes. I'm an Electrical Engineer by trade, but there are tons of other certifications out there especially with controls and automation (What I do) that you can do that add value to your employment. Plus just the fact that the company is investing $10k-$15k per year into these courses for you naturally makes them not won't to lose their investment...plus it makes you more marketable to other companies in your line of work.

Make sure you are on something like "Linked In' and start developing contacts with others in the same field.

And do as MKSixer said. I use a piece of software called YNAB (You need a budget). With it, you can track and categorize every purchase you make. You do it with a PC or your phone. And once the category and business name is entered, it remembers it. I can input a days worth of spending in less than 5-10 minutes. You add in all the fixed stuff to re-occur each month, then it tells you how much you have left over for misc stuff.

Currently I pay next months bills this month. Then I buy what I need although I don't really spend a lot. But if I were to not have the cash to pay for a "want"...I don't get it.

I only have one credit card, and basically only have that because of work. Plus I earn cash back that I get to keep on work related stuff.

After awhile it becomes second nature. Make sure as soon as you can to max out your 401K especially if your company matches it as it's free money. Then start building an emergency fund. I keep a minimum of 6 months stashed away. After that...then you start putting what you can away into savings and other retirement funds.

Now none of this happens overnight. It took me a good 15+ years to get where I am. But at least put a plan into place.

Before you realize it....money will be the least of your issues and it will go back to being women!
my man!
I am on linkedin to the point where my friends have accused me of asking for girls' linkedins to stay in touch than their number. (add me on linkedin though) I've also sent a request to MKSixer but we'll see how that goes... Maybe he forgot my real name?

I've downloaded that app just now, getting my last paycheck for the summer on Thursday which is both good and bad because once I get it I'm out and on vacation

Paying next month's bills is pretty nice, the only bills I have are for my phone and the car's insurance but I don't get any benefit (other than the satisfaction I guess) of paying the remaining now...
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
Rmtt8206.00
      08-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #76
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I'm also going to bet that this was some of the best times of you life as well. Am I right?

Some of the best times in my life were when we had to get creative for food and entertainment.
I hope, for all she did to you, that she was at least good with the blow job.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #77
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I hope, for all she did to you, that she was at least good with the blow job.

In all honesty, the current girlfriend is the champion.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #78
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
my man!
I am on linkedin to the point where my friends have accused me of asking for girls' linkedins to stay in touch than their number. (add me on linkedin though) I've also sent a request to MKSixer but we'll see how that goes... Maybe he forgot my real name?

I've downloaded that app just now, getting my last paycheck for the summer on Thursday which is both good and bad because once I get it I'm out and on vacation

Paying next month's bills is pretty nice, the only bills I have are for my phone and the car's insurance but I don't get any benefit (other than the satisfaction I guess) of paying the remaining now...
Done and done!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 09:51 PM   #79
gary_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

So broke I had to jerk off the dog to feed the cat. The dog was mad when the cat finally died.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #80
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Meh...linkedin is basically 95% spam and cold calls
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #81
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Meh...linkedin is basically 95% spam and cold calls
Hi Darth One,
Looking through your profile I saw you also like emojis. a Past Project of mine involved thoughtful emoji usage. What time next week would work for you for a phone call?

Thanks,
Pickle
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Darth One6612.50
      08-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #82
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I’ve been lucky enough to have never been broke or had to struggle to get by. I’m only 30 tho so there’s still plenty of time for me to fuck things up.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #83
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi Darth One,
Looking through your profile I saw you also like emojis. a Past Project of mine involved thoughtful emoji usage. What time next week would work for you for a phone call?

Thanks,
Pickle
Congratulate Pickle on his work anniversary. F'n linkedin....
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      08-10-2019, 02:57 AM   #84
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
my man!

Hey man..........PM me your first name and I will send you mine so we can get "Linked -In".

Give me a few days though cause I'm currently at the beach!