BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Park assist

05-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Kpoggi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWz4

Park assist

Anyone really use this or is it just a gimmicky thing that you show your friends a couple of times
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpoggi View Post
Anyone really use this or is it just a gimmicky thing that you show your friends a couple of times
I have never used it once and don't really plan to. I would not want it 'auto-curbing' the rims for example.

Rob
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
      05-07-2020, 11:53 PM   #3
kj57
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I tried it once in a parking lot to see if it works, got a little too close to other cars for my comfort. Plus the sensors dont seem to work well lower curbs so I'll pass on the whole auto-park thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
If there is not much traffic, I use it. It's very reliable. You may afraid the curb but it actually can park close to the curb without damaging anything, sometime better than me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
If there is not much traffic, I use it. It's very reliable. You may afraid the curb but it actually can park close to the curb without damaging anything, sometime better than me.
Same here. Just had one little hiccup where it tried to park perpendicular due to a small passageway next to the road, but otherwise it's great.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Keithark
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i M sport

Quote:
Quote:
I use mine all the time , it's awesome when you get to trust it, amazing !
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
amacrine
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z43.0

curbs and parking assist

We just bought a 2020 BMW Z4 3.0 and it has parking assist with 4 front ultrasonic sensors, 4 back and 4 side sensors. I have it set to showing parking assist when approaching something automatically, but it doesn't. Moreover even when I turn on the assist it detects objects all around, but it can't detect a 6" curb in front. The front bumper of the Z is super low and if it wasn't rubber on the bottom I would have dinged it. I can't believe with 4 front sensors it can't see a 6" curb. On the other hand it easily detects a 1" garage door bottom lip in reverse so I would think the front sensors should be able to see the curb. The dealer says it may not see curbs in front. Is this true? Can others detect a front curb? I am thinking bad sensors as even if I put my hand over a front sensor it doesn't detect it. It detects big front thing like a wall, but no curb. Any suggestion and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Bill Eldred
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
kj57
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacrine View Post
We just bought a 2020 BMW Z4 3.0 and it has parking assist with 4 front ultrasonic sensors, 4 back and 4 side sensors. I have it set to showing parking assist when approaching something automatically, but it doesn't. Moreover even when I turn on the assist it detects objects all around, but it can't detect a 6" curb in front. The front bumper of the Z is super low and if it wasn't rubber on the bottom I would have dinged it. I can't believe with 4 front sensors it can't see a 6" curb. On the other hand it easily detects a 1" garage door bottom lip in reverse so I would think the front sensors should be able to see the curb. The dealer says it may not see curbs in front. Is this true? Can others detect a front curb? I am thinking bad sensors as even if I put my hand over a front sensor it doesn't detect it. It detects big front thing like a wall, but no curb. Any suggestion and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Bill Eldred
Its not just you, the standard front sensors dont work all that well on lower objects. You will tear off the front end of this car if you rely on the front sensors for parking nose first into curbs. Even 1' tall ones wont trigger it sometimes and that would do some real damage if you bump into it.

The 'auto on' thing wont come on until you are slowly coming up on a car or wall and very close to it, pretty useless. Pretty sure the sensors are more tuned for the auto park between large objects, not pulling up to a curb without destroying the lower bumper.

Maybe one of the other options works better, there is a 200.00 park distance control that may work better with curbs. Honestly the sensors on my last F-type werent that great with curbs either. The C7 corvette front parking camera was nice though, wish all low cars had that.

Best solution is to just back in parking spots, the sensors will pick up everything plus you have the camera. I have come within millimeters of wrecking the lower front bumper a couple times trying to use the front sensors. Good thing is the car is short and if you have to pull in and leave a bunch of room its not a big deal.
Appreciate 0