BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Advice on these countries

10-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Advice on these countries

We are planning a trip from December 26-Jan 4th or 5th. We've narrowed it down to these countries. For those who have been to any of these countries, which would you choose and why? If you wouldn't choose a particular country I'm open to hearing about those reasons as well.

Croatia
Germany
Ireland
Italy (been but did northern the last time)
Portugal
Turkey
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Most of my old coworkers were Portugese and Portugal was THE BEST place in the whole world....yet they all lived in the US.

I have no real facts but my only desire would be back to Italy. Didnt care for Rome much but Florence was fabulous!
Appreciate 4
rebekahb3130.00
Germanauto9698.00
antgenn319.00
      10-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Hmm I probably would save Ireland for Spring time. It’s way too cold during Winter.

The rest of the list will be chilly but manageable. Went to Germany for Xmas few years ago and enjoyed seeing the Xmas markets that were still open (they close before Xmas typically). It was really cold though.

I love Italy and Croatia so maybe either of those. Keep in mind that a lot of shops might be closed due to holidays and that weather is not the best. So if you’re picturing beaches and stuff, then none of those fits. Went to Portugal end of Nov 2019 and it can be quite rainy. It rained a few days I was there. Still had a great time. I do like Portugal quite a bit too.

Haven’t been to Turkey yet so can’t comment much. Maybe next year. Basically, they will have be chilly with possibly snow. So depending on what you like to see and do, that will help narrow things down. You honestly can’t go wrong.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3130.00
      10-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

I can vouch for Croatia, but i would strongly suggest to go during summer for an unforgettable vacay! You can fly into Dubrovnik from nearly all major airports in EU and then drive up the main highway which runs from most southern coast tip all the way to farthest northern tip (something like PCH in California).. rent a car and drive into every city small and big, swim in crystal clear water, enjoy great food and atmosphere.

You didnt mention what kind of activities you will be doing in Dec.. if you Ski/board i suggest going to the French Alps during those time frames.. fly into Zurich and catch a transfer up to the three valleys.. i suggest staying at Val Thorens.
      10-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

We do realize that it's a down time in a lot of areas. I do love the feel of the holidays with the towns lit up. Definitely not expecting beaches or anything like that. Open to dealing with cold as it feels like the holidays.

We do like to see any must sees when we travel but prefer to immerse ourselves in the smaller towns and culture. Some of the bigger cities are nice but don't have to do that for days.

We went up through the Swiss alps right before Covid but didn't ski as we were winging it and didn't plan on ending up there. It was as gorgeous! The French Alps are on my to do list but my husband isn't a big skier like me and I tortured him earlier this year with a ski trip. I will definitely keep the three valleys in mind for next year as we do a trip every year around the holidays.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I agree on waiting on Ireland for a little better weather. But if you do go, you’ll have the country to yourselves which also is quite nice.

Note that in a lot of these countries the holidays are still really holidays. The last time I was in Ireland (Galway area) was over Christmas 2011. Couldn’t find an open shop, restaurant, grocery or pub on Christmas. Things may have changed since then of course, but good to check in advance wherever you go.

I’ve found US Thanksgiving weekend to be a great time to travel internationally because Americans stay home so there are better prices and availability overseas, and nothing is closed at that time. Plus you’re no where near Black Friday sales.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3130.00
      10-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #7
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I agree on waiting on Ireland for a little better weather. But if you do go, you'll have the country to yourselves which also is quite nice.

Note that in a lot of these countries the holidays are still really holidays. The last time I was in Ireland (Galway area) was over Christmas 2011. Couldn't find an open shop, restaurant, grocery or pub on Christmas. Things may have changed since then of course, but good to check in advance wherever you go.

I've found US Thanksgiving weekend to be a great time to travel internationally because Americans stay home so there are better prices and availability overseas, and nothing is closed at that time. Plus you're no where near Black Friday sales.

Will definitely wait on Ireland and appreciate the comments on that.

We always travel over this time & haven't run into any issues yet. When we were in France, Switzerland and Italy 2 years ago we didn't have any issues at all. The smaller towns still had their Christmas markets going on which was enjoyable.

Once we decide on a place, I will do more research and drill down further. Over the posts, I've noticed a lot of well traveled people and always appreciate peoples thoughts.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3495.00
      10-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Will agree with comments about about Croatia and Ireland this time of year. Haven't been to Germany recently, my last visit was to West Germany! Going through Check Point Charlie was quite an experience. But I would vote South of Italy, Portugal and Germany in that order.

I have been to Istanbul and it's a fabulous city. While Turkey is spectacular, there has been some internal political turmoil. Likely not noticeable at the town/village level, but I personally would wait until things are more settled.
Appreciate 4
2000cs3495.00
rebekahb3130.00
Buug95917177.00
MKSixer34173.50
      10-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
We do realize that it's a down time in a lot of areas. I do love the feel of the holidays with the towns lit up.
I have never been there, but doubt that you will find any holiday stuff in Turkey.....
      10-11-2021, 05:05 PM   #10
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 235i m

I seem to recall being told the airport in Dubrovnik shuts down for the winter due to prevailing winds, but I'm not sure when that starts. That would limit your options in Croatia. Ireland is great, but IMO that's much more enjoyable as a warm weather destination.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3130.00
      10-11-2021, 05:15 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

For Croatia, if you’re looking to visit islands and such, it’s not the best time to go. Ferries stop running by mid November and it becomes rainy and windy in the Split area and down the coast to Dubrovnik. If you’ll have a car and just drive around, then it’s more manageable. All depends on what you want to do really.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 05:44 PM   #12
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post

I have been to Istanbul and it's a fabulous city. While Turkey is spectacular, there has been some internal political turmoil. Likely not noticeable at the town/village level, but I personally would wait until things are more settled.
I did read about this after I posted but it wasn't sure if the severity. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
We do realize that it's a down time in a lot of areas. I do love the feel of the holidays with the towns lit up.
I have never been there, but doubt that you will find any holiday stuff in Turkey.....
Holiday stuff isn't a must just something we enjoy seeing if they happen to celebrate/decorate.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615143.50
      10-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #13
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
For Croatia, if you’re looking to visit islands and such, it’s not the best time to go. Ferries stop running by mid November and it becomes rainy and windy in the Split area and down the coast to Dubrovnik. If you’ll have a car and just drive around, then it’s more manageable. All depends on what you want to do really.
Thank you, we will be in Greece next year so may save Croatia until then depending on how long we can get away.

I appreciate all the responses so far!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I have been to Germany dozens of times, and lived there a short while. Visited Italy a half dozen times. Croatia one time.

All are great. What do you want to do?

Venice would be milder weather because of the sea. Real interesting place.

Croatia for me is a water (swimming, boating) and outdoors place, too cold in December imo. We are outdoors people.

Germany is all good all the time. Check out Baden Baden and Strasbourg and places in between. Schwarzwald im Winter!

First pic is Strasbourg Gare de Ville. Second is top of a mountain in the Schwarzwald near Allerheiligen ruins. Third photo is taken near the second photo, with 35mm film (remember film?). All taken in December.
Attached Images

Last edited by chassis; 10-11-2021 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3130.00
Buug95917177.00
      10-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #15
Joe T
Rep
Drives: F16 X6

we travel every year that week too. 3 years ago was Ireland. more on this in a second. We've decided Christmas week is for the Caribbean, Central/South America, ... in short somewhere warm and beachy

We spent a few weeks in Ireland, it was my 50th birthday. Weather was exactly what you expect in Ireland in December. My wife planned the whole trip, I was standing on the land my grandfather worked in Killaloe before migrating to America, standing on the cliffs of Moher

But other than the sentimental reasons in Killaloe, we stayed a few days at the Ashford Castle, which in itself was pretty cool (a day of falconry alone was worth the trip), we we found ourselves hanging out in a little town called Cong. Drinking and eating with the locals was awesome

My wife turns 50 in January and she wants to go to Mykonos, everything I read says not to go until late May
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3130.00
      10-11-2021, 08:25 PM   #16
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
I have been to Germany dozens of times, and lived there a short while. Visited Italy a half dozen times. Croatia one time.

All are great. What do you want to do?

Venice would be milder weather because of the sea. Real interesting place.

Croatia for me is a water (swimming, boating) and outdoors place, too cold in December imo. We are outdoors people.

Germany is all good all the time. Check out Baden Baden and Strasbourg and places in between. Schwarzwald im Winter!

First pic is Strasbourg Gare de Ville. Second is top of a mountain in the Schwarzwald near Allerheiligen ruins. Third photo is taken near the second photo, with 35mm film (remember film?). All taken in December.
We're open on what to do. I like hearing first hand experiences because I run across things I may not have done otherwise. We are early 40's and active. I am not a group tour person at all.

We went to Venice last time and really enjoyed it. I had the best lobster tagatelli. If I could have picked my plate up and licked it I would have .

We love the water and outdoors so I will move Croatia to a warmer time. Hearing that makes me excited to visit!

This pictures are gorgeous! I would love to pick your brain a bit more on Germany as it's large and wouldn't know where to start.

If we choose Italy I'm interested in Florence, maybe 2 days in Rome and more of southern Italy this time since we were more north last time.
Appreciate 1
chassis6497.50
      10-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #17
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
we travel every year that week too. 3 years ago was Ireland. more on this in a second. We've decided Christmas week is for the Caribbean, Central/South America, ... in short somewhere warm and beachy

We spent a few weeks in Ireland, it was my 50th birthday. Weather was exactly what you expect in Ireland in December. My wife planned the whole trip, I was standing on the land my grandfather worked in Killaloe before migrating to America, standing on the cliffs of Moher

But other than the sentimental reasons in Killaloe, we stayed a few days at the Ashford Castle, which in itself was pretty cool (a day of falconry alone was worth the trip), we we found ourselves hanging out in a little town called Cong. Drinking and eating with the locals was awesome

My wife turns 50 in January and she wants to go to Mykonos, everything I read says not to go until late May
Where are y'all thinking about as far as Caribbean? We've been fortunate to visit quite a few islands. We were in Exuma in May and went to the beach a few times this summer so taking a break this trip.

Your Ireland trip sounds like you had a great time. It's definitely on my to do list but from what others are saying we're going to move that back.

We are going to Greece next Sept and plan on doing the southern part and islands. I can't wait!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #18
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

I could go back to the Tyrol region a thousand times. It's beautiful up there and you get Germany and Italy in the same trip, especially if you're wanting Christmas.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3130.00
      10-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #19
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
I could go back to the Tyrol region a thousand times. It's beautiful up there and you get Germany and Italy in the same trip, especially if you're wanting Christmas.

Can you share more about this?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #20
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Can you share more about this?
I could wax endlessly but I'm talking about the Swiss/Austrian border. North of Milan. Merano, Canazei, Corrina di Ampezzo, etc. Those are the ski towns, think Vail.

It's Italy but the border changed so much over the last thousand years it's a weird area. Everything is a mix. Food is Italian but architecture and even language is German (it's a dialect similar to Swiss German but I was able to get along).

If you want to watch a quaint festival from the little deck on your romantic hotel room while watching snow fall on the Dolomites Canazei gets the job done.

It's basically all of the good parts of The Sound of Music.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #21
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Most of my old coworkers were Portugese and Portugal was THE BEST place in the whole world....yet they all lived in the US.

I have no real facts but my only desire would be back to Italy. Didnt care for Rome much but Florence was fabulous!
I actually felt the exact same. Rome was whatever to me; very polluted, crowded, and difficult to get around. I liked other big cities like Paris and London much better.

But Florence is one of my favorite places in the world. It's just picturesque and has such an amazing vibe and culture.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4478.50
ramman434712.00
      10-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #22
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
We are planning a trip from December 26-Jan 4th or 5th. We've narrowed it down to these countries. For those who have been to any of these countries, which would you choose and why? If you wouldn't choose a particular country I'm open to hearing about those reasons as well.

Croatia
Germany
Ireland
Italy (been but did northern the last time)
Portugal
Turkey
Since no one does an entire country, you would have to be more specific as to what you were doing while abroad. You are only going to be there 10 days. Turkey is huge so unless you're just going to do Istanbul and surroundings (and that would be okay) you won't have time to do much more.

Germany has been underwhelming for decades - unless you're in your 20's and are looking for clubbing.

Ireland (again) is distinctly different from north to south so... where would you be?

Italy will be at it's coolest. Summer's are beastly there so if you haven't been to Cinque Terre in the fall/winter - that would be my suggestion. Italy in the winter is sublime. Whether you're going to spend 10 days in Rome or 2 days each in Milan, Venice & Florence & Rome. Or 3 days each in Milan Venice and Rome - you can't go wrong.

Portugal is very different from top to bottom - where would you be?
Appreciate 0