BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Does money really follow passion?

02-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
fattychalupa
Rep
Drives: 1996 Lexus ES

Does money really follow passion?

For all of the board members who consider themselves "successful" (which I assume is a large number if they can afford a Bimmer), did you end up following your passion as a career? Or did you choose a job that you knew would be financially stable?

The reason i ask this is because right now I'm a college first year (I posted this thread recently) and while I should be worrying about when the next party is going to be like any other normal college student, I can't help but wonder if I'm making the right choice with my major (business). My real interests lie within both fine art photography and cooking- passions that earn crappy incomes in the real world unless you get lucky. I mean, I could eventually start a business in either of those two fields, so right now I don't know if business is just a stepping stone towards getting a dream career or if I'm just on the wrong path in the first place. Accounting and finance are always a safe bet, but holy crap are those classes a cluster*ck of boredom, and I don't want to waste years of my life only to realize I made the wrong choice.

Any words of wisdom?

Last edited by fattychalupa; 02-20-2012 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

From my understanding, most first years go through a "photography" phase where they buy DSLR's and begin taking photos of pencils and erasers and what not. Your hobbies may not be your passion, just saying.

At least from what I can remember being that age, anyways.
      02-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
fattychalupa
Rep
Drives: 1996 Lexus ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
From my understanding, most first years go through a "photography" phase where they buy DSLR's and begin taking photos of pencils and erasers and what not. Your hobbies may not be your passion, just saying.

At least from what I can remember being that age, anyways.
I understand where you're coming from, but with all due respect I've been photographing for 4 or 5 years and have invested a significant amount of time in it
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattychalupa View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but with all due respect I've been photographing for 4 or 5 years and have invested a significant amount of time in it
You don't really need to make a decision on your career path till you're halfway through university. Most people have epiphanies by their 2nd and 3rd years about what it is they like. No need to worry now, you're not running out of time at all. Because when you actually find what you love, it'll all be about putting time in. The feeling of "time running out" sort of disappears, imho.
      02-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

I chose a career I didn't really like but sounded good an paper, hated the first 6 years of it. Now that I have climbed the ladder a bit I have loved the last 3. Whatever job you're going to pick is going to have aspects that you hate and ones that you love, even if it is just the paycheck. I will tell you from experience though that when your only joy is the paycheck you get every couple weeks it makes for a miserable life.

Success is going to be measured differently for everyone. I, like most, based it on money when I was younger. Now I would take a pretty good pay cut to absolutely love what I do every day. Some people buy shit to fill the void in their life, I did. Once you're doing what you love though that shit just becomes icing on the cake.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Took me 2 years in college to decide on my final major. Do what you love.

But if your passion is flipping burgers at McD then money will not follow.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Money may follow passion, but I would say you'd be fortunate to find that, rather than it being the norm.

On the other hand, if you love what you do, then maybe the money won't be as important.

Myself, I chose something I seemed to understand (not love, but understand) partially because it was safe. And I'm with Chest R here...I hated the first couple years, but now that I've climbed up the rungs to a fairly senior position, I find I'm enjoying it a heck of a lot more. I have additional stress that I didn't have when I first started, but its balanced out by more enjoyment.

I wonder if Chest R and I have the same jobs I chose accounting.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Money is my passion, so

Honestly, I went into my career and didn't particularly like it.. I learned to love it however
      02-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

99% of aspiring photographers should just sell their camera is they want to make money.
      02-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet
Money is my passion, so

Honestly, I went into my career and didn't particularly like it.. I learned to love it however
This makes me grumpy all day long, but $$$$$$, why am I greedy
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90
99% of aspiring photographers should just sell their camera is they want to make money.
LMFAO :
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
either way, your career doesnt need to be your passion/hobby

we all have a hobby in our car, how many are professional race car drivers, or mechanics, you see?
hobbies is what you want to unwind from work.. what do you do if your work is your hobby? and your hobby becomes stressful...
      02-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

If your passion is hard work and dedication, then yes it does.

The correlation between crappy culinary & photography incomes could have to do with lack of business sense. So sticking with business will likely help you with anything you choose in the future.
      02-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [9.66]
i crunch data for a living... its NOT a passion, it is just something i can do, and it pays for my nice things
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I wonder if Chest R and I have the same jobs I chose accounting.
Nope, military. There were days I would have given anything to be back flipping burgers or wrenchin'. Then I remember I didn't have shit back then and I suck it up and press. I can't complain about anything. I have a better life than some of my friends that are doctors, maybe because I didn't start my life a half million in debt from college.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Learn about business, and do photography on the side. If you have a unique talent, it'll take off and then you can quit your day job, and have the business sense to run your own photography business.

Unless you're just friggen amazing right now...but then you probably wouldn't be asking; you'd be selling photos.

A lot of times when a hobby becomes a job, you lose interest in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
monkeyofspice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve
Learn about business, and do photography on the side. If you have a unique talent, it'll take off and then you can quit your day job, and have the business sense to run your own photography business.

Unless you're just friggen amazing right now...but then you probably wouldn't be asking; you'd be selling photos.

A lot of times when a hobby becomes a job, you lose interest in it.
So true, I worked on cars for a living and hated them. Now I'm in IT and love to work on cars on the weekends.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

i didnt follow my passion, otherwise id be fishing somewhere.

cant complain about money these days, but not loving my job.

fk
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

i know a few event photographers that pull in an easy 10k a month. Gotta be realistic with what you're gonna do. If you wanna be a fashion photographer then its gonna be tough to make it big. If you wanna do event photography like weddings n stuff (which is where careers go to die), you can make good money if you're decent.

Appreciate 0