BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum New BMW Z4 vs Porsche Boxster and Audi TT

08-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

New BMW Z4 vs Porsche Boxster and Audi TT

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

Quote:
by Simon Davis
10 August 2019

It was always going to happen, wasn’t it? Even in the middle of July, no more than a fortnight after temperatures around the UK soared into the mid-30s, it would seem that gathering a triumvirate of convertible sports cars together in North Wales is still too much like tempting fate. Or the weather gods. Or any other abstract concept you’d usually curse and swear at while shaking your fist at the sky, wondering why oh why, on today of all days, did it have to rain. How typical.

But anyway, the new BMW Z4 M40i is one of the latest examples of the breed to touch down on our shores. Previous iterations of Munich’s two-door drop-top haven’t always been praised for being standout driver’s cars, but BMW seems confident this third-generation model is the one to rewrite that history for the better. A Nürburgring lap time reportedly some three seconds quicker than that of its M2 stable-mate is certainly an encouraging sign. So too is the fact that the Toyota Supra – the BMW’s brother from another mother – emerged victorious when we pitted it against the Porsche Cayman T and BMW M2 a few weeks back.

With all that in mind, the temptation to gather together a handful of ideologically aligned adversaries and head for the hills proved too strong to resist. Which is exactly why our test subjects – made up of said Z4, a Porsche 718 Boxster T and an Audi TT RS Roadster – are now moored in a windswept, soggy car park on the side of the B4391, completely saturated.

But sitting here, watching snapper Olgun Kordal fish around in his bag for the correct lens as the fine, mist-like rain continues to drive home the fact that one of us should have checked the weather forecast, isn’t without its perks. From this vantage point, you can appreciate just how motley this crew of convertibles really is, and soak in the diversity of the drop-top landscape in 2019.

Of the three cars here, the BMW is closest to the archetypal convertible sports car. Its long, muscular bonnet houses a longitudinal 3.0-litre turbocharged straight six, which sends its 335bhp and 369lb ft straight to the rear wheels via an eight-speed ZF torque-converter automatic ’box and an electronic slippy diff. Adaptive M Sport suspension drops its ride height by 10mm compared with the standard Z4, and also throws in electronically controlled dampers. And unlike its predecessor, there’s a folding canvas roof instead of a metal one, which helps reduce weight, lower the car’s centre of gravity and – in my mind at least – lend it a bit more in the way of authenticity. That said, at 1535kg, it’s still the heaviest car here.

The Boxster, meanwhile, forges a different path. It is mid-engined, for starters, and its 295bhp 2.0-litre flat four does seem a bit weedy by comparison. But in T guise, this is supposed to be the sharpest, most focused version of the 718 Boxster breed (Weissach-fettled Spyder aside, obviously). As such, there’s a torque-vectoring differential at the rear axle, a 20mm drop in ride height, active drivetrain mounts and Porsche’s Sport Chrono package as standard. Modest weight-saving measures have also been employed, and at 1350kg the T is the lightest car here. Oh, and it’s also the only one with a six-speed manual ’box, which is a very good thing.

Compared with those two, the Audi is a bit of an oddball. First, it’s based on the same platform as a Volkswagen Golf, and has been on the receiving end of a few style-over-substance-related criticisms over the course of its 20-odd-year existence. But even so, in RS guise the TT is also one of the more fascinating members of our trio. There’s a front-mounted five-cylinder motor that churns out a fairly ludicrous 395bhp. It’s also got four-wheel drive and a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, and will hit 62mph from a standstill in a claimed 3.9sec. So in terms of straight-line thrust, it’s the fastest car here.

It feels like the fastest car here on these sodden Welsh roads, too; and its ridiculous turn of pace has as much to do with its unflappable willingness to simply stick to the surface of the road as it does the engine. You can brake later, turn in harder and get on the power earlier out of corners than you can in the other two, and simply trust that it’ll sort everything out for you without coming a cropper.

That engine is a massively characterful thing, too, and the ability to bask in the full glory of its thuggish, offbeat warble transforming into a serrated howl as you floor the throttle with the top down is an experience to be savoured.

It’s not the most responsive powerplant, mind. Despite its 354lb ft being available from as low as 1700rpm, things don’t really start to get going until 3500rpm or so. Plant your foot below this point and the delay between input and response as the boost builds can be frustrating, particularly if you’re not too hot on your shifts and find yourself trying to power out of a corner a gear too high. Get everything wound up, though, and this engine pulls with an alarming amount of savagery.

Impressive as the Audi is in the wet, as the weather starts to lift and the roads begin to dry out, its appeal begins to wane. You start to notice just how numb and distant the otherwise accurate steering rack feels. You also realise that while that all-weather traction is a wonderful thing when it’s tipping down, in the dry it translates to a shortage of expressiveness that seems at odds with the sorts of thrills you’d expect from a drop-top sports car. You wouldn’t accuse the Z4 of suffering from such an affliction, though. Next to the limpet-like Audi, the BMW demands far more concentration to drive quickly. You can feel its rear end shimmying around as you power through roughly surfaced or off-camber bends, while its thick-rimmed steering wheel lends the impression that you’re man-handling rather than deftly guiding it through corners. That’s not to say it doesn’t change direction keenly, or that it feels in any way primitive in the way it handles, but there’s a distinctly hairy-chested, street-fighter streak to its dynamic attitude that’s difficult not to take a shining to.

Admittedly, its body isn’t as tightly controlled as that of the Audi and it makes a greater show of its weight through corners, but it’s no deal-breaker. If anything, its supple, more forgiving set-up makes the Z4 the car you’d choose for long-distance stints – and it certainly dispatched the long drive up from London with little bother.

And while its 3.0-litre straight six might not quite match the TT’s five-pot for outright character or performance, it’s the most responsive of the two by a mile. It’s coupled with a gearbox that’s seems happier to respond to a tug of the paddle shifters than the Audi’s twin-clutch arrangement is, too. But even if your concentration falters and you allow the revs to drop off, its well of torque is there as a safety net. All 369lb ft of its muscle is available from 1600rpm, and it feels it. This is an engine that’s happy to pull from any point in the rev range, right up to the redline.

The same can’t be said of the Boxster’s engine, which can feel even more lethargic and strangled than the Audi’s. There’s very little low-down urgency present here, and progress from this point feels noticeably stunted. It’s not until you get the crankshaft spinning at speeds well above the 3500rpm mark that it starts to come to life, but even then the accompanying soundtrack is nothing more than a flatulent drone.

Which is a pity, really, because the Boxster T is easily the sharpest-handling car here. In terms of its responsiveness, its balance and its fleet-footedness, it’s simply on another level. The dainty steering wheel paints a far clearer picture of how the tyres are interacting with the road than the other two, and at all times its chassis feels as though it’s more in tune with both your inputs and the Tarmac beneath you.

With its adaptive dampers in their firmest setting, the car can feel a bit too tightly controlled for the roads we’re on, but slacken them off and it breathes with the topography under-wheel in a graceful, elegant fashion. The short throw of its manual ’box is wonderfully tactile and a joy to engage with too, so the fact you’ll need to interact with it so much to keep the engine on the boil is at least one silver lining to its asthmatic performance. It’s an utterly flattering sports car, this – adjustable, communicative and engaging to the last.

But you know what? Of the three, I don’t think it’d be the car I’d go for if it were my money on the line. While it’s undoubtedly the sweetest to drive of the three, as far as drop-tops are concerned the theatre that comes from actually driving them is just as important. And on that front, the Boxster’s characterless engine simply isn’t up to the task. If it had a bit more punch, a bit more soul – perhaps even a bit more in the way of cylinder count – it’d probably walk this test. As it stands, it just misses out.

Missing out by a greater margin is the Audi, which is problematic because it takes things too far in the opposite direction. The TT RS has the performance and makes the right noises, but you feel so far removed from the task of driving the car that it’s difficult to form anything close to a meaningful relationship with it. And unlike the BMW, and particularly the Porsche, you also feel as though you’re perched on top of the car rather than in it, so it’s difficult to ignore those hatchback underpinnings.

It’s the BMW’s ability to strike a balance between these extremes that sees it clinch victory today, if only by the skin of its teeth. The Z4 has the engine, plus the everyday refinement, that would make it an easy car to live with on a daily basis. Its cabin is the smartest of the bunch, too, and carries with it the most premium appeal. The BMW may not have the clinical, delicate finesse of the Porsche, but it excites in its own characterful, heavy-hitting way that feels genuinely authentic and is absolutely endearing. Put it this way: the Boxster might be the car you’d take for a drive, but the Z4 is the one you’d take for a fang. You’ll have to forgive the Antipodean slang, but it gives you a good idea of what separates these two very different sports cars.
Convertible clash: New BMW Z4 vs Porsche Boxster and Audi TT

Name:  dsc_5262-hdr-edit.jpg
Views: 7488
Size:  1.99 MB

Name:  dsc_5048.jpg
Views: 7463
Size:  2.01 MB

Name:  dsc_5132_1.jpg
Views: 7103
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  dsc_5677.jpg
Views: 7299
Size:  1.88 MB

Name:  dsc_5832.jpg
Views: 7075
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  dsc_5967.jpg
Views: 7044
Size:  98.2 KB

Name:  dsc_6450.jpg
Views: 7037
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  olg_3130.jpg
Views: 7211
Size:  1.91 MB

Name:  olg_3377.jpg
Views: 6959
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  olg_4563.jpg
Views: 7006
Size:  1.97 MB

Name:  dsc_6794_0.jpg
Views: 7130
Size:  1.93 MB

Name:  dsc_6608.jpg
Views: 6947
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  dsc_6817-edit.jpg
Views: 6888
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  olg_1008.jpg
Views: 6969
Size:  1.90 MB

Name:  dsc_6786-hdr-edit.jpg
Views: 6984
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  dsc_5980-hdr-edit.jpg
Views: 6881
Size:  111.3 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 5
SakhirM410783.00
gblansten1884.50
BMWRL596.00
clee1982796.00
      08-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yes i saw this, a fine win.
      08-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Yes i saw this, a fine win.
BMW has done a fine job with this new Z4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17420.00
      08-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

It had been a a couple years since I drove the Boxster so I took one for a spin recently.

I was somewhat disappointed. It's very refined and I was expecting more. The steering, like all EPS racks, is "meh" at best.

I've yet to drive the new Z4, but I will say the M2 is way more fun than the Boxster! I think most comparison tests have expressed similar sentiments. Looks like I will be staying within the BMW family with my next purchase.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Ouch .. Audi needs a stiff chin for this..

" The TT RS has the performance and makes the right noises, but you feel so far removed from the task of driving the car that it’s difficult to form anything close to a meaningful relationship with it. And unlike the BMW, and particularly the Porsche, you also feel as though you’re perched on top of the car rather than in it, so it’s difficult to ignore those hatchback underpinnings. "
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9652.00
      08-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Ouch .. Audi needs a stiff chin for this..

" The TT RS has the performance and makes the right noises, but you feel so far removed from the task of driving the car that it’s difficult to form anything close to a meaningful relationship with it. And unlike the BMW, and particularly the Porsche, you also feel as though you’re perched on top of the car rather than in it, so it’s difficult to ignore those hatchback underpinnings. "
Would you expect anything else? Audis have always been very "numb" cars to drive. This wasn't going to be any different. I think the TT is getting killed off anyway, it won't be missed.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

I really like how sharp this new Z4 looks. I was checking some out on the lot at BMW San Diego the other day. Really a shame they aren't making coupe versions of this generation. (hurr Supra, i know)
      08-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
HellRaizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Manual.

Battle of which hairdressers slipper is better😒
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

BMW needs to make this a coupe. And then an M.
Appreciate 5
No Boost4019.00
clee1982796.00
WickedNy225.00
Geo_FF139.00
      08-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #10
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Porsche losing a comparo to BMW? Car & Driver execs must be neck deep in bewilderment.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1685.00
      08-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Porsche losing a comparo to BMW? Car & Driver execs must be neck deep in bewilderment.
To be fair, C/D usually picks the best handling vehicle their winner, regardless of other faults, and even this comparison said that the Porsche is the best handling of the group, but I'm sure everyone expected that.
      08-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #12
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
BMW needs to make this a coupe. And then an M.
The Supra is just a sportier coupe version of the Z4. I am fairly certain that BMW and Toyota agreed not to step on each others' toes by making a redundant car. IMO, the Supra is a lot more attractive than the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #13
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The Supra is just a sportier coupe version of the Z4. I am fairly certain that BMW and Toyota agreed not to step on each others' toes by making a redundant car. IMO, the Supra is a lot more attractive than the Z4.
Yes, I get that. But I actually like the look of the BMW better and would want to see an M car. Plus...the BMW come with a heated steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Would you expect anything else? Audis have always been very "numb" cars to drive. This wasn't going to be any different. I think the TT is getting killed off anyway, it won't be missed.
no.. and I literally almost included a sentence to that effect as well.

Each time I see a review about Audi.... there is raving about the motor... it's sound.. and the handling in the wet... but in the dry.... there is always disappointment because of the weight and the lack of a sporty feel for AWD in the dry.

It's exactly this concern that I have when it comes to BMW which really seems to be pushing X drive on their SAV (of course), also on their regular models like the 2er, 3er, 5er, and M-Xdrive has now come to the M cars as well..

While BMW does sporty better than Audi... it just seems that BMW is giving in to FWD and AWD for better profits... and forsaking their RWD roots, leaving disappointed enthusiasts in their wake. The review of cars by @joshuastein55. is an excellent example of this. While BMW is giving more credence to it's AWD and FWD rivals by playing into their hands and trying to beat them at their game , BMW is also losing the exact thing that made them successful and differentiated them in the market place to begin with.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-14-2019 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
stein_325i25044.00
      08-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #15
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:

Each time I see a review about Audi.... there is raving about the motor... it's sound.. and the handling in the wet... but in the dry.... there is always disappointment because of the weight and the lack of a sporty feel for AWD in the dry.

It's exactly this concern that I have when it comes to BMW which really seems to be pushing X drive on their SAV (of course), also on their regular models like the 2er, 3er, 5er, and M-Xdrive has now come to the M cars as well..

While BMW does sporty better than Audi... it just seems that BMW is giving in to FWD and AWD for better profits... and forsaking their RWD roots, leaving disappointed enthusiasts in their wake. The review of cars by @joshuastein55. is an excellent example of this. While BMW is giving more credence to it's AWD and FWD rivals by playing into their hands and trying to beat them at their game , BMW is also losing the exact thing that made them successful and differentiated them in the market place to begin with.
Hopefully they use the money earned from their other ventures to fund M and keep the enthusiast division alive and well.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That was a rhetorical question.

I agree that BMW has become a lot like Audi, and it's not just because they are doing FWD on some cars. It's the steering, they drive more like Audis now than BMWs of yesteryear.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25044.00
city1991226.00
      08-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #17
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:

That was a rhetorical question.

I agree that BMW has become a lot like Audi, and it's not just because they are doing FWD on some cars. It's the steering, they drive more like Audis now than BMWs of yesteryear.
Just curious, have you test driven any vehicle that you liked the EPS in? Or where it was at least forgivable? (Like the rest of the car was so good you could live with the steering)?

I just ask, cause you even found the Boxster's steering to be disappointing, so it sounds like there might not be many cars out there with steering good enough for your preference.
Germanauto9652.00
      08-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #18
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
I agree with all that except the z4 looks way better than the supra IMO

Dave
Appreciate 1
joca107.50
      08-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #19
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dong View Post
Battle of which hairdressers slipper is better😒
Were you beaten up a lot as a kid or something?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #20
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Just curious, have you test driven any vehicle that you liked the EPS in? Or where it was at least forgivable? (Like the rest of the car was so good you could live with the steering)?

I just ask, cause you even found the Boxster's steering to be disappointing, so it sounds like there might not be many cars out there with steering good enough for your preference.
Yeah I think my expectations are just too high. I liked the M2 enough, I'll have to take a Giulia for a spin to see if it lives up to the hype.

I've read criticism over the years about the current Boxster/Cayman's steering. I think I was a little harsh though, I was expecting more but it was still good enough to the point I wouldn't write off the car. The last Boxster I drove was an S and it was a riot overall. Maybe the lack of power in the base model the other day skewed my overall perception of the car.

I had driven the ATS as a rental and enjoyed the EPS in that. I'm sure the other GM performance products have good EPS as well (Camaro, Corvette, etc.).

My current DD is a 2nd generation Lexus IS, post-refresh. It's also EPS and is surprisingly good. Definitely better than the new 3-series. That wheel doesn't turn with one finger even at the lowest speeds, as it should be.

Last edited by Germanauto; 08-14-2019 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25044.00
      08-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #21
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.77]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Quote:
I agree with all that except the z4 looks way better than the supra IMO

Dave
It absolutely does without a doubt.

The SupraZ is an over-designed train wreck.
      08-15-2019, 01:32 AM   #22
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
I test drove the Audi TT 2.0T FSI Quattro TTS 2dr S Tronic version before the Z4 M40i and came away feeling exactly this.

No HUD or centre console screen was a minus also for me.

I wanted to really like the tt as since it's conception I have always admired its design but it really wasn't the car for me.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9652.00