BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Reliability of pre-owned Audi A7/S7?

05-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Reliability of pre-owned Audi A7/S7?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of adding a business fleet for my commute and I was thinking of pre owned A7 or S7. I don't know much about Audi but I always thought A7 looked great. Can anyone let me know of pro/cons of this car?
Also, any issues I should be aware of?
How long can I expect to keep the car for?

I'm looking for grey/black combo with 30~50k on the odo with prestige trim.
Is there any must have options?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
StuP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Be aware the V8 needs, (or used to), a very expensive cam drive service at 100k. The drive is on the back end of the engine, hence it has to come out of the car. Lots of electronics as well.............
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

You are talking about old 4.2L V8 engine. New 4.0L V8TT (S7) and 3.0L V6 (A6) are much better. Go for S7 - V8TT engine (it's a gem!), with air suspension and upgraded seats well worth the money

Known V8TT issues - Oil separators, turbo coolant o-rings and motor mounts
Known V6 issues - thermostats

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuP View Post
Be aware the V8 needs, (or used to), a very expensive cam drive service at 100k. The drive is on the back end of the engine, hence it has to come out of the car. Lots of electronics as well.............

Last edited by Sedoy; 05-09-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
StuP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Good to know, always been an Audi fan, but that 4.2 service was a killer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
There's a reason most say don't own BMW or Audi out of warranty.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      05-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Is there a particular model year I should be looking for? I'm sure the newer the better but my budget is under $40k.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Audi is WAY more dangerous in my opinion. BMW gives everybody amazing service, free oil changes and check ups etc. Audi gives you nothing. Not even oil changes, so when these leased cars go on the used market most of them have probably been treated like shit. I would never buy a pre-owned Audi.
Appreciate 3
P111541.50
Rmtt8206.00
      05-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Quote:
Audi is WAY more dangerous in my opinion. BMW gives everybody amazing service, free oil changes and check ups etc. Audi gives you nothing. Not even oil changes, so when these leased cars go on the used market most of them have probably been treated like shit. I would never buy a pre-owned Audi.
If $350 of "free" oil changes strikes you as an amazing deal on a $40k-$150k transaction, can I interest you in a bridge?

Even the laziest people I've known tend to be able to remember to change their oil at least every 15k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

if you buy an audi you need to just assume the car will have reliability issues. I had one that was in the shop 40 days the first year. my second I sold after 2 failed transmissions in 2 mos. both cars purchased new and problems were within 1st 15 mos. every single audi owner ive ever met has had reliability issues. that said, fun cars to drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Is Audi really plagued like this? Or are we bit biased because it's Audi?
People talk about BMW's reliabilities but I've never had any issues with my BMW....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Is Audi really plagued like this? Or are we bit biased because it's Audi?
People talk about BMW's reliabilities but I've never had any issues with my BMW....
I've owned two Audii and four BMW's. One Audi was flawless for three years. The other had some non stranding electrical gremlins and a few recalls, but nothing major.

All but one BMW has been nearly flawless, including one for 14 years and 150k miles. But the N54 135i had so many issues, not just three HPFP's that I was starting to rethink things. The current F30 only has an intermittent failure of the LED headlight steering function, otherwise it's been fine.

Current VW is also nearly flawless. Had a steering wheel and Fender speaker replaced under warranty, but that's it so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Get it CPO. Used anything is a bargain compared to new unless it is an S2000, NSX or Supra Turbo or anything else with limited supply and a cult following.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Wifes A3 has been outstanding. Also, they are some really good lease options on Audi's as well. I don't think Id buy a newer Audi cause what you're paying for monthly for even a CPO, you could lease for similar money
      05-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #14
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, free under warranty. I'm talking out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yea, free under warranty. I'm talking out of warranty.
He’s saying it’s likely to not get as much service attention due to no service appts.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #16
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
If $350 of "free" oil changes strikes you as an amazing deal on a $40k-$150k transaction, can I interest you in a bridge?

Even the laziest people I've known tend to be able to remember to change their oil at least every 15k miles.
No im good with the bridges, i'll drive the long way. Can I interest you in a butterfly net to catch the points? The point is that BMW leases are WAY more likely to be maintained properly throughout the term. Audi offers nothing, so most peoples mindset with a lease is why am i investing money into this dealerships car. I know an Audi dealer and even he's been made aware of guys who have not once changed the oil on their cars, and he beats the shit out of it. His literal words, I feel sorry for whoever gets this car. Imagine how many others there are.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No im good with the bridges, i'll drive the long way. Can I interest you in a butterfly net to catch the points? The point is that BMW leases are WAY more likely to be maintained properly throughout the term. Audi offers nothing, so most peoples mindset with a lease is why am i investing money into this dealerships car. I know an Audi dealer and even he's been made aware of guys who have not once changed the oil on their cars, and he beats the shit out of it. His literal words, I feel sorry for whoever gets this car. Imagine how many others there are.
Meh, a 30k mile lease involves one "free" oil change from BMW. I'm not sure that's a huge selling point. The odds of a mildly active Audi driver changing the oil every 7,500 or 10k miles are probably higher than one just skipping it all together. So statistically, you're more likely to get a better cared for Audi than one with BMW's dumb intervals.

I say this mostly tongue in cheek, but in theory, CPO certification warrants that all maintenance was performed. So with Audi's 10k interval, you'd be ahead of the game. Also worth pointing out that Audi and MB will still sell you maintenance plans and most of the leases offered include them.

You're mostly trying to make a point out of something that plays as a good fear tactic but isn't actually much of a real world thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #18
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Go right to the RS7. I want one Looks like a few are in the ZL1/C7 price area so I might have to test drive one now.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Meh, a 30k mile lease involves one "free" oil change from BMW. I'm not sure that's a huge selling point. The odds of a mildly active Audi driver changing the oil every 7,500 or 10k miles are probably higher than one just skipping it all together. So statistically, you're more likely to get a better cared for Audi than one with BMW's dumb intervals.

I say this mostly tongue in cheek, but in theory, CPO certification warrants that all maintenance was performed. So with Audi's 10k interval, you'd be ahead of the game. Also worth pointing out that Audi and MB will still sell you maintenance plans and most of the leases offered include them.

You're mostly trying to make a point out of something that plays as a good fear tactic but isn't actually much of a real world thing.
It's not a fear tactic. It's an opinion based on some very real information. My 335i saw BMW at least 4 or 5 times, for oil changes or regular maintenance. I guarantee there was at least 3 or 4 oil changes in there done by them. My car was not a lease, but they did it every 10K miles so basically you'd get 3 on an average lease. I'd say 3 oil changes vs 0 within 36K miles is very real world. Did BMW change their intervals back to 15, because a few years back they changed it to 10. Even if it was 15, that's 2 allowances within the lease (12K is standard not 10 as you sneakily suggested). But yes, if it was certified and they had the documentation to show, then it's all good.

I just overall think any company that doesn't offer free maintenance on their leases is crazy. Unless they really don't care about how reliable their cars are are few years down. Which i'm pretty sure they all do.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

So one car company in the world is genius and all the rest are dumb? Got it. Guess you're on the right forum.

Never mind that BMW backed down from 4/50 to 3/36 and will likely revert to no free service before long.

If "free" maintenance was great, I'd imagine Audi and MB who both offered it, still would.

And I'm not sure what your "sneakily" comment is all about, but the Googles say Audi USA service intervals are 10k miles and BMW are 15k, absolutely no mention of 12k for either. My point on a 30k mile lease is that you'll only get one mileage based service if you don't go over your miles. And while dealers are supposed to honor the annual oil change, both dealers and owners seem amazingly unaware of that availability.

I've had four BMWs with "free" maintenance and it's fine. I've also paid for oil changes in between the free ones because the interval seems too long, and with the car I tracked heavily, I was never going to wait 15k miles. So while it's kinda free, I'd still be hesitant to buy an out of warranty BMW because of the long intervals, so I guess it's not wildly different than buying a used car of another brand, you're taking a risk.

You also specifically mentioned leases and it's worth noting that both Audi and MB push their maintenance programs as part of any lease, usually either including them as part of the cost, or offering them at a substantial discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #21
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
When leasing an Audi, there is an option to include Audicare that adds 1% to the residual. Total cost depends on the model, and is $800-1,100. Figure roughly half of this is paid for by the residual increase. This covers all scheduled maintenance during the lease term, and generally beyond should one choose to buyout the lease. Example on my S6, covered maintenance goes to the 75k service. Basically covers everything but brake pads and rotors. If I recall, BMW's 'free' maintenance program, which was trimmed back a couple of years ago, stops at 36k miles.

Also, first service is free from Audi regardless of the Audicare. On my wife's S3, we opted not to take the Audicare as we did a 7,500 mile/year three year lease (she does not drive that much) and we will maybe only pay for one oil change during the lease term.

I'm not 100%, but I think Audicare can be included on CPO vehicles, back to the OP's concern.

Details here:
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...r-Brochure.pdf

Last edited by blschaefer1; 05-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #22
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Get out of here with facts. We're fear mongering this biatch.
Appreciate 2
unluky7465.00
oolas3387.00