BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Vacation Dreams! Whats on your bucket list?

12-22-2020, 05:08 AM   #1
BMWsports6
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Vacation Dreams! Whats on your bucket list?

Hello everyone, I hope you`re doin well during these times!

I find myself daydreaming about vacation lately...more then ever due to winter and corona I got inspired by this german travel blog (since my mother language is German ) and I think next up on my bucket list will be Japan!

Whats on your bucket list? Where do you daydream yourself to?

In case you wanna get inspired too heres the article I read https://www.travelspring.de/staedtereise-tokio/. Its in German but can easily be translated by DeepL..or maybe there are some fellow Germans here?

Stay safe and have nice holidays! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
0Danie1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Hey,
Australia was always first on my bucket list. But after I read that article, I want to visit Japan! I wish we could travel soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Northern Italy, Into Switzerland, Austria, ending in Munich to fly back. 2 weeks min. (we've already planned it, maybe summer of 2022)
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Maybe something like this...Maldives, or Bora Bora, etc
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
DETRoadster11446.00
PoorLurker1135.00
      12-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Danie1 View Post
Hey,
Australia was always first on my bucket list. But after I read that article, I want to visit Japan! I wish we could travel soon.
Of course it is all preference, but I chose to move to Osaka, Japan when I was 18. Had my 19th birthday there and planned never to return to the states and life happened. I needed to return to the states and did, and of course, life took a different turn.

Fast forward 8 years later, I’m married and the wife and I wanted to have kids. We decided to take one last hurrah prior. This included a week in Tokyo and two weeks on the Gold Coast. While we thoroughly enjoyed Australia and crossed it off our bucket list, my preference was largely Japan and likely always will be.

To conclude, I recommend you go to Japan and cross it off your list. It is all the things people say it is. The people are as wonderful and welcoming as you hear and you will find a dream fulfilled and not altered. I hear, more often than not, that folks want to go but have not. I can’t encourage you enough, just do it.

I have many vacation dreams as vacationing and experiencing cultures unlike mine is top of my list. I would say, for very selfish reasons, watching the F1 race at Monaco In a rather pompous fashion as the wealthy do would be a dream. One someday, I may or may not be able to fulfill.

Last edited by fiveohwblow; 12-22-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 5
      12-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

The GF's dream vacation is Santorini, so by extension it's my dream vacation.

But personally, I'd rather go to see an endurance race at Spa.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      12-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
To conclude, I recommend you go to Japan and cross it off your list.
If you miss the Nagasaki Memorial Park, you have missed the mark. The fundamental difference in the Japanese culture, to not harbor a desire for vengeance, but instead a hope that such tragedy NEVER befalls another human being is truly inspiring.

Oh, and karaoke bars. . .
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Tyrolean Alps. I'd love to rent a house and just hang out there for a month or two.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #9
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Great post.

I used to have a list of all the places I want to travel and a sort-of plan to go to them (1-2 per year). However workload and now COVID have really messed that up, and my travel priorities have changed too.

I want to take my wife to Barcelona, Amsterdam and Prague. Probably Zurich/Bern and the obligatory Paris stop. I’ve been to all and she hasn’t, so that would be a fun trip.

For me, I’d like to go to Ephesus, Athens, and that area of the world/history. I’d like to go to India with a very knowledgeable guide to see the temples etc. No interest in the crowds anywhere.

Agree with comments already posted about Japan, especially Kyoto. Korea also is beautiful and people very friendly. But have done those (and Malaysia) enough to have already crossed off.

As COVID subsides and travel reopens, I think we are likely to take driving trips across the USA and Canada. So much to see and re-see. And we’ll have time since I will be retiring in January, so can hop in the M5 and tour GT style. I’d guess it will be 2023 before we go international; too much to see and do here first.

Of all the places I’ve been, my three favorites are Japan for unique culture, Ireland for beauty and hilarious people who take nothing seriously, and Prague for pre-WWII buildings, great people and all that.

I suppose it is time to update that list!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Of course it is all preference, but I chose to move to Osaka, Japan when I was 18. Had my 19th birthday there and planned never to return to the states and life happened. I needed to return to the states and did, and of course, life took a different turn.

Fast forward 8 years later, I’m married and the wife and I wanted to have kids. We decided to take one last hurrah prior. This included a week in Tokyo and two weeks on the Gold Coast. While we thoroughly enjoyed Australia and crossed it off our bucket list, my preference was largely Japan and likely always will be.

To conclude, I recommend you go to Japan and cross it off your list. It is all the things people say it is. The people are as wonderful and welcoming as you hear and you will find a dream fulfilled and not altered. I hear, more often than not, that folks want to go but have not. I can’t encourage you enough, just do it.

I have many vacation dreams as vacationing and experiencing cultures unlike mine is top of my list. I would say, for very selfish reasons, watching the F1 race at Monaco In a rather pompous fashion as the wealthy do would be a dream. One someday, I may or may not be able to fulfill.
Japan was absolutely stunning. The people/culture, the food, the cars (went to TAS) it was such a surreal yet refreshing experience.

I highly recommend Japan to anyone.

High on my bucket list is visiting Switzerland and skiing the alps.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Italy and southern Africa
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
I'm eyeing options for a European river cruise. The Rhine, the Danube. There's one that goes all the way from Amsterdam to Budapest. Just seems very relaxing, and full of history.
      12-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

So my bride and I both turn 60 this year, and she is also retiring....the F1 in Monoco is always on my birthday weekend....that has been my bucket list trip for years, my wife is down with it to. Given the current state of things I'm thinking that ice fishing out back of my house might be the best I can hope for right now.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614882.00
Steeler2422.00
      12-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Euro trip to take in all the F1 races.
Then on to Oz and NZ to tour around in a motor home.

Need to start saving.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 12:33 AM   #15
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If you miss the Nagasaki Memorial Park, you have missed the mark. The fundamental difference in the Japanese culture, to not harbor a desire for vengeance, but instead a hope that such tragedy NEVER befalls another human being is truly inspiring.

Oh, and karaoke bars. . .
I took a tour of Nagasaki with a man who was from the city and witnessed the bombing from about 20 miles away. He had been sent to a summer boys camp during the war and vividly remembers seeing the mushroom cloud.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1614882.00
UncleWede17871.00
rebekahb3128.50
      12-23-2020, 12:45 AM   #16
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
The GF's dream vacation is Santorini, so by extension it's my dream vacation.

But personally, I'd rather go to see an endurance race at Spa.
Santorini and Athens makes a great trip. I went there last minute after canceling an Istanbul trip due to terror attacks. I was pleasantly surprised by Greece. One of my favorite trips ever.

Appreciate 2
      12-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #17
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I'd love to see Eric Prydz in Ibiza with the lady friend...
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #18
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I think the better statement for me is what's not on my bucket list. I have so many places I still want to go.

For those suggesting Japan, I agree with that 💯. It's such a great culture and the food is amazing. Transportation is easy and allows you to really move around the country & see so much. We had many incredible experiences there.

I want to go back to Switzerland. I wouldn't have to go to Zurich again. We did take a train ride through the Swiss Alps. Next time, I want to make stops and ski.

Only did Northern Italy last time so want to go back and do Rome to the Southern part.

We went to France between Christmas and New Years. We really enjoyed the Christmas markets. If you ever get a chance to go to Strasbourg during that time it's such a cool little town. Each street has a different holiday theme. No cars were driving through so you walked everywhere.

I miss traveling😒 The minute we can bust out, I may throw some countries/cities in a hat and just go with whichever gets picked.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So my bride and I both turn 60 this year, and she is also retiring....the F1 in Monoco is always on my birthday weekend....that has been my bucket list trip for years, my wife is down with it to. Given the current state of things I'm thinking that ice fishing out back of my house might be the best I can hope for right now.
The way 2020 is going, you'll probably fall through. Wear a life jacket lol.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614882.00
Murf99314114.00
Lups11819.50
      12-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #20
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I'm eyeing options for a European river cruise. The Rhine, the Danube. There's one that goes all the way from Amsterdam to Budapest. Just seems very relaxing, and full of history.
My wife's family has talked about doing this for years, we just haven't done it yet. My father-in-law is Hungarian and has family in Budapest that he hasn't seen since he was little, so they want to go check out the old country. It looks amazing
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #21
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
My wife's family has talked about doing this for years, we just haven't done it yet. My father-in-law is Hungarian and has family in Budapest that he hasn't seen since he was little, so they want to go check out the old country. It looks amazing
The Rhine and the Main and the Danube run right through the cradle of central Europe. I can't wait. I'd book a trip now, but they're not offering guarantees or sureties of any sort - you could hand them $30K today and if the trip got cancelled a month from now because of...anything...you'd be empty-handed. I can wait.
      12-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #22
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
Maybe something like this...Maldives, or Bora Bora, etc
I like how the guy in the second photo is checking out the bottom view of the hunny in the first photo.
Appreciate 0