BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum So glad I got my Z4 - ceramic coating and PPF pics inside

03-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

So glad I got my Z4 - ceramic coating and PPF pics inside

Going back 2 months now, I walked into the local BMW dealership looking to test drive an X3 M. I really wanted a vehicle with a sunroof because my Golf R doesn't have that. And I love driving with open air, especially in the evenings and night. I test drove the X3 M and didn't like the heavy steering which made it feel like I was constantly fighting the tramlining effect of the tires on the road. I also didn't like the looks, rather bland and generic suv style with nothing that stood out.

I fell in love with an M850i on the dealership floor room, but the price was a bit too steep ($144K Cdn) and the coupes have carbon fiber roofs an no sunroof. To get a sunroof, I would have to get a grand touring model (4 doors) which I don't need or want. I did not give the cabriolet a thought at this time.

There was also a Z4 in the showroom in frozen grey. I was never a fan of previous generation Z styling, but this new one really caught my eye. I loved the interior, the seats and other simple features like the wireless charging. I was allowed to test drive it and while I didn't get a good enough impression of the car at the time, at least I knew it didn't have the same steering feel in the X3 M that I didn't like. I also decided I wanted white, with the magma red interior, all options, black rims and trim. As luck would have it, one was found at another dealership exactly as I wanted so it was shipped in.

I really like the new C8 Vette and I maybe would have bought one of those instead, but I realized I was never going to get one because they are all pre-sold. I didn't give it much thought really and there was no 'settling' on the Z4. I bought it because I wanted to enjoy life a bit and I told people that you never know what the future holds so we have to enjoy life while we can. Who knew that a few weeks later after taking delivery that the entire world is in a crisis.

I went out for a bit of a drive today, nowhere in particular, just enjoying a sunny day and +6c temperature. Driving just for the sake of driving and feeling really happy in my car and forgetting for a short period about all the bad that is going on right now. I don't think there's harm in that, but perhaps curfews and house arrest for everyone could eventually come? If worse comes to worse I will sit in my car in the garage and dream of driving on a warm day with the top down. I'll do that in winter anyway

I'm glad I have my Z4 and even though it was an expensive purchase, it's one of those things where it just seemed like fate where everything fell into place like it did and I got the car. I wasn't planning on buying a car this spring... but... well here I am.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 03-23-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 8
SakhirM410783.00
pukeko28.00
JustChris17480.00
ToysArs60.50
joca107.50
matmanx1101.50
      03-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Congrats; I'm very happy with ours too. I test drove an M40i before buying ours; it was a white car with black trim and wheels and the Magma interior.....I wanted black because my Jag was white so the dealer traded it for one that was coming in to a dealer in Sask.....wonder if it was your car I test drove. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Welcome to the Z4 family. No other car can offer same feeling. You got the right choice!
Appreciate 1
joca107.50
      03-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Congrats; I'm very happy with ours too. I test drove an M40i before buying ours; it was a white car with black trim and wheels and the Magma interior.....I wanted black because my Jag was white so the dealer traded it for one that was coming in to a dealer in Sask.....wonder if it was your car I test drove. Cheers
The one I bought had not even been through PDI yet. It still had protective wrapping all throughout the inside. There was one other white one my dealer found, but it did not have the driver assistance package. I just hit 1000km, still on my way through break in. I've drive in sport plus a bit, but still taking it easy and keeping rpm below 4k. I just want to hear the exhaust sometimes.

I do wish sport+ in cruise control kept the rpm lower. My golf r does that and I think that makes sense.

Rob
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I had paint protection film done to the front end, fender, hood, rockers and rear lower quarter panel (behind rear tire, see picture). I think PPF is really a good idea on the fender behind the rear tires The paint was also polished and ceramic coated with CQuartz Professional
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob_G77; 03-23-2020 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
JustChris17480.00
IM2C2066.50
      03-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #6
ToysArs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

This car looks absolutely stunning in white!! Nice job
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
Belgian_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I had paint protection film done to the front end, fender, hood, rockers and rear lower quarter panel (behind rear tire, see picture). I think PPF is really a good idea on the fender behind the rear tires The paint was also polished and ceramic coated with CQuartz Professional
Perfect job. Nice color.

Previous: 325i coupé (e36) - 520D (e60) - 530D xDrive (F10)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:37 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Oh yes!!
      04-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Good job. What did you use to you get your black plastic mirror covers polished?
Because they are not painted.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 01:40 AM   #10
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeo View Post
Good job. What did you use to you get your black plastic mirror covers polished?
It was professionally done, so I don't know what was used. I can ask though.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #11
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Quote:
It was professionally done, so I don't know what was used. I can ask though.

Rob
No hurry, if you can, please ask. I can imagine they use same polish compound as it is used to polish policarbonate thought some are too aggressive and is hard to get a mirror like finish.
      05-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
No hurry, if you can, please ask. I can imagine they use same polish compound as it is used to polish policarbonate thought some are too aggressive and is hard to get a mirror like finish.
I did ask, but wasn't given a clear answer. It is some kind of polish, but anything more exact I was not told.

Rob
Appreciate 1
Amadeo391.50