BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum 3D Design Introduces G29 Z4 M Sport Parts

01-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #45
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Soft-tops are absolutely timeless.

Folding Hard-tops are completely played, and went out hard like Disco.
Agreed; I had an SLK with a retractable hardtop and an F type with the soft top and MUCH preferred the soft top; the HT was heavy and took up a bunch of space......the SLK has been discontinued too FWIW. I looked at an M4 with the HT 'vert but didn't like the weight penalty.

....I'd also suggest that there is a good reason you won't find a Porsche with a retractable hardtop. With todays insulation and fabrics, the soft tops are quieter and better insulated than ever. For me, my car is a fair weather car only and I drive it 90% of the time with the top down (that's why I bought it). I guess I could understand someone wanting the retractable HT if it was a year round driver, but then, I wouldn't use a 2 seat, RWD sportscar for that in my climate anyhow.

2 cents,
Dave
100%.

Love having a fully functional trunk.

With 4-5 layer soft-top they are nearly as quite as any hard-top.
      01-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #46
ToysArs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

I like the 3D front splitter and the back spoiler. I think car could use a side splitter as well, similar to what AC Schnitzer did. On a different note, quality of photos taken seems rather poor.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #47
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I disagree with absolutely everything you've said. :-) ....and the new Z4 looks better and outperforms all previous versions in every way IMO. M4? nice car but apples to bananas; I want a 2 seat convertible sportscar not a sedan.

Cheers,
Dave
Fine by me. Facts are facts.
No, it doesn't look better; better than Fiat maybe.
In certain areas it will not outperform the xDrive Z4. As a summer toy is ok, otherwise no.
Who said anything about M4?
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #48
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
In certain areas it will not outperform the xDrive Z4. As a summer toy is ok, otherwise no.
Cheers!
Sorry, M2; just a smaller sedan than an M4. ....and no, not facts, just your opinions. I think it looks much better, in fact, I didn't even look at Z4's until the G29 as I thought they were ugly. And lastly, yes my M40i outperforms all previous Z4's cars in every measureable way; power, acceleration, braking, handling, track times, etc. etc. ....and a summer toy is what most people buy 2 seat sportscars for. :-)

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
///M TOWN13117.00
      01-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #49
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Cheers!
What xDrive Z4 are you referring to?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #50
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
"In certain areas" my one ton diesel pick up truck outperforms my Z4 too.....but I'm not sure that's relevant....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #51
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
What xDrive Z4 are you referring to?
Just put the dot after the xDrive. Too fats typo.

Quote:
Sorry, M2; just a smaller sedan than an M4. ....and no, not facts, just your opinions. I think it looks much better, in fact, I didn't even look at Z4's until the G29 as I thought they were ugly. And lastly, yes my M40i outperforms all previous Z4's cars in every measureable way; power, acceleration, braking, handling, track times, etc. etc. ....and a summer toy is what most people buy 2 seat sportscars for. :-)

Cheers,
Dave
The facts that were mentioned by me are very well known. In regards with the design, it is my opinion. For me is ugly and I can not stand that cloth in the top which I find it so 1800 and terrible. Fair?
It outperforms the previous models? Sure; because is newer, nothing else. However is not a rule; the previous X1 is better than the new one for example. Either way, without hardtop, the previous Z4 model will probably pull the same time.
You like it? Perfect. I don't..... It is yours, enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #52
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Just put the dot after the xDrive. Too fats typo.

The facts that were mentioned by me are very well known. In regards with the design, it is my opinion. For me is ugly and I can not stand that cloth in the top which I find it so 1800 and terrible. Fair?
It outperforms the previous models? Sure; because is newer, nothing else. However is not a rule; the previous X1 is better than the new one for example. Either way, without hardtop, the previous Z4 model will probably pull the same time.
You like it? Perfect. I don't..... It is yours, enjoy it.
Yep, the looks are subjective and so is the top.....and to be fair, if I was using the Z4 differently, I might prefer the metal top....but for performance or fair weather driving the soft top is better....which is why the vast majority of such cars have fabric tops. I've owned both and prefer the fabric top for the reasons I previously mentioned. Like most things, different usage will undoubtably engender differing opinions.

It doesn't matter WHY it outperforms earlier versions, the fact is that it does.

Yes I like it (which is why I bought one after extensive comparisons and road tests) and you are free not to.....just not sure why you'd bother to chime in on an unrelated thread in the Z4 forum to fill us in on your negative thoughts about the car we've all chosen to purchase...seemed odd.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410783.00
nj428x13.00
joca107.50
      01-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #53
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yep, the looks are subjective and so is the top.....and to be fair, if I was using the Z4 differently, I might prefer the metal top....but for performance or fair weather driving the soft top is better....which is why the vast majority of such cars have fabric tops. I've owned both and prefer the fabric top for the reasons I previously mentioned. Like most things, different usage will undoubtably engender differing opinions.

It doesn't matter WHY it outperforms earlier versions, the fact is that it does.

Yes I like it (which is why I bought one after extensive comparisons and road tests) and you are free not to.....just not sure why you'd bother to chime in on an unrelated thread in the Z4 forum to fill us in on your negative thoughts about the car we've all chosen to purchase...seemed odd.

Cheers,
Dave
I am a BMW fan and despite few things I can say that I do love BMW. I chime in because this thread was on the main page. Otherwise I am not present in the Z4 forum as I do not won one.
The discussion deviated from other points brought in here by a different user which seems to share the same opinions.

As mentioned before, the Z4 is not a winter car, and that was my debate. Beside the looks I do believe that BMW needed to drop the hard top. Since is not an all rounder anyway, I do get the usage for people that do enjoy a warmer weather than I do.
By dropping the hard top, BMW did not care about an empty trunk, they did it to drop the center of gravity so they can offer a viable alternative in the competition with others like the mid engine vehicles. (It was a time when the Z4 was really under question mark.) While it will never behave as good as the Boxter due to physics laws (see the previous guy comments which things his front engine axle car doesn't nose down ), the new Z4 is still a proper machine for enjoyment. It is a good car and is fun for its purpose. My comments were strictly about the lack of hard top from design point of view and other technical points enumerated above, which are viable. All my points are strong in my books and this is why I do prefer a hard top/coupe/sedan like vehicle.
But I also understand the love for such vehicles and if I will get more than 3 months of summer per year I will probably own the previous model as I loved the design.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #54
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
I am a BMW fan and despite few things I can say that I do love BMW. I chime in because this thread was on the main page. Otherwise I am not present in the Z4 forum as I do not won one.
The discussion deviated from other points brought in here by a different user which seems to share the same opinions.

As mentioned before, the Z4 is not a winter car, and that was my debate. Beside the looks I do believe that BMW needed to drop the hard top. Since is not an all rounder anyway, I do get the usage for people that do enjoy a warmer weather than I do.
By dropping the hard top, BMW did not care about an empty trunk, they did it to drop the center of gravity so they can offer a viable alternative in the competition with others like the mid engine vehicles. (It was a time when the Z4 was really under question mark.) While it will never behave as good as the Boxter due to physics laws (see the previous guy comments which things his front engine axle car doesn't nose down ), the new Z4 is still a proper machine for enjoyment. It is a good car and is fun for its purpose. My comments were strictly about the lack of hard top from design point of view and other technical points enumerated above, which are viable. All my points are strong in my books and this is why I do prefer a hard top/coupe/sedan like vehicle.
But I also understand the love for such vehicles and if I will get more than 3 months of summer per year I will probably own the previous model as I loved the design.
Thanks, good post. I agree 100% that the Z4 isn't a winter car; my sportscars stay parked for 6 months every year and I'd never dream of driving them in the snow. I have a Mercedes GLC43AMG for that as well as my 4x4 truck.

I also agree with you about the Boxster; great car. I almost bought one despite the massive price premium but ultimately the 4 cyl engine didn't cut it for me.....too bad because, as you say, there is no beating the Boxters's design/dynamics/physics.

Where in Canada do you live? I'm in Kelowna B.C. Weather here is snowy at the moment but we do get nice long, hot summers.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #55
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I own a G29! And leased an E89 in the past!
my comment wasn't aimed at you. :-)

Dave
Well, ok then - I'll continue to express my opinions! 😏
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #56
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Well, ok then - I'll continue to express my opinions! 😏
Please do. 😊
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #57
Kpoggi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWz4

Love the car, love the looks, love the soft top therefore I bought the car, I do not intend to drive it January or February
Appreciate 1
joca107.50
      01-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #58
joca
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0 S drive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Wow, not sure how this thread got into a Z4 bash fest.

For the record;

- The Boxster does own the segment but the price is nowhere near similar to the Z4 - it's a 45% premium for the P car when I priced them both out. Frankly I think the Z4 M40i is a bargain.....is a 'vette cheaper? Maybe but I don't want a 'vette.....the same argument for value of the 'vette can be had against virtually every other sportscar on the market; yes it's a good car and it's cheap.....no reason for anyone to buy a BMW, Porsche, Audi, Maserati, Ferrari, etc. etc.....let's just all buy Corvettes! ;-)

- I prefer the soft top for my use and I think they did well to go in that direction; I don't need/want a folding hardtop with the extra weight and complexity for what is a fair weather toy in my case.

- blah, blah, blah, I like the way the Z4 looks; it's the best looking 2 seat roadster on the market IMO with the Boxster and F type rounding out the top three.....don't like it? don't buy one.

- not sure why threads on the Z4 forum need to be constantly diluted by OT blather from people who have no intention of owning one.

Cheers,
Dave
Totally agree, for me it is the most beautiful BMW of the moment!

Last edited by joca; 01-04-2020 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
      01-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #59
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpoggi View Post
Love the car, love the looks, love the soft top therefore I bought the car, I do not intend to drive it January or February
It’s so hard not to drive it! We had mid-40’s last weekend - had to drive it and oh what fun it was!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #60
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
The fact that it doesn't come with AWD is just a reinforcement that it is indeed a summer toy or for warmer climate only. I was talking about the previous Z4. BMW knows that a soft top will not work in the winter, hence since there is no hard top there is no AWD either. Logic and straight to my point.

In regards with the heat loss, please, let's leave it where it is. There is heat loss, there is a problem and there is also a problem with the temperature difference between the two environments. There are problems with leaks, condensation, and moisture after shut off the engine at - low temps. That's why I am saying that is not a winter car.
The previous hard-top model with awd was suitable as an all-year rounder. The new one is not.

At -45C that roof will crack in time. Your comparison with "not maintained paint" is a joke I hope. No paint will crack at that temperature and never cracked in any car I have ever owned, including some that stayed literally outside in -40 all their life (I can put pictures with car at -45 outside and the day I sold it so you can see the paint like in the first day). There is no "maintenance" required. In fact the vert requires more maintenance. I am a maintenance freak, and the paint never required a "maintenance". Paint cracks only on areas where it was an accident and was repaired with crap filler that was added to repair. A proper repaired area will never crack.

The roof has reinforcements but it can be easy cut. A cut just to open the vehicle is enough, don't need to work hard to get in. It is much easier to steal it.
Most cars have sensors today but when Police gives it back to you after 3 months full of forensic ink and damaged, I rather not find it ever than receive a damaged car.

The body is without any doubt solid, yet, try it in cold, park it at some -10 outside, let it freeze and then go over a road bump or take it out of the driveway with one wheel at the time and you will hear your top twisting. Common, you can't deny the structural differences.

In regards with Toyota, I said that is more practical and I believe that they were smarter for offering a Coupe style. A vert is a very minimal niche, a Coupe is a much wider niche and address to a wider spectrum of customers. Either way, I do not like the design anyway.

Again, nice vehicle for the ones who live in warm climate but not a good year-rounder for the rest. With the soft only and no AWD, BMW clearly underlined this statement.
Wow, so much nonsense with your post. You've clearly never owned a soft top, but you speak with all the confidence of a long time owner. The term "confidently wrong" comes to mind...

I've owned an xdrive m235 soft top and taken it through -40 weather and I was nice and toasty inside. The heater was not running any harder than usual. It was one of the best cars I've owned in the winter.

Our m40 z4 will see all weather, and is daily driven. Good winter tires and an LSD will help keep it moving.
SakhirM410783.00
Joe2402923.50
      01-08-2020, 07:05 AM   #61
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Love the new Z4 but ...
Attached Images

01-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #62
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I will just leave these in here...
Mostly for informative purposes.

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100317

https://blog.nationwide.com/what-you...-convertibles/

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/wint...ble-top/50583/

https://www.carrentals.co.uk/blog/convertible-cars.html

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #63
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joca View Post
Totally agree, for me it is the most beautiful BMW of the moment!
agree 100%. it absolutely beats all my expecatations. and in Norcal where it does get cold (but not winter) I love the heated seats and steering wheel. my wife has commented it is stunning and unique and the unique look vs other BMWs I think makes it stand out in a good way - much like the new 8 that I looked at but this thing is half the price! very good value and am loving mine! cant wait for more spring roadtrips! anyone considering it you will be pleasantly surprised. beautiful car that is both a GT cruiser or a sports car when you hit it....
Appreciate 3
joca107.50
      06-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #64
bill0754
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Love the Front spoiler

I for one really like the new Z4 M40i! In fact, I just traded my 2017 Lotus Evora 400 in on one!

I would like to add a front lip spoiler to add a little more aggression in the front, but as a whole, I think the car is not only unique, but handsome. The back is my favorite, but the front has a nice wide and attractive design.

Plus, it really is a blast to drive!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
SakhirM410783.00
ToysArs60.50
KGun192.00
      06-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #65
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

I live in the Deep South. I can put the top down at least 10 months of the year. I love the Z4. It is a fine automobile.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      06-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #66
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWho View Post
I live in the Deep South. I can put the top down at least 10 months of the year. I love the Z4. It is a fine automobile.
In Austin, I can put the top down during some time of all 12 months. I love this car too.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0