BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Fake Watches -- Does it really matter?

05-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #177
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

http://jalopnik.com/tag/super-replicas
      05-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #178
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Do replica Cobras receive the same disdain?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #179
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Do replica Cobras receive the same disdain?
I suppose if they are poisonous and will bite they do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #180
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Reading the first post, I really didn't get the purpose of it, but nevertheless it's an interesting thread. I think everyone has their interests and decides where they want to spend their money on. I'm not really into expensive watches replicas or bling per se. I'm not sure of the connection between BMWs and expensive watches either other than people with money expressing their interest in other expensive things they buy. For me I'm more of a Casio Pathfinder watch guy for day to day wear and most of the time I don't even wear a watch anymore. I prefer to spend my money on other things like a vacation home, motorcycle, in home theater etc, so watches really aren't at the top of my list.

As for real vs. fake, I've never been the type of person to buy a fake of anything. Would I consider a less expensive alternative considering it does the same job for half the money? Yes. And maybe that's the point with the BMW / watch connection. Most people can't even afford a BMW let alone the watches being discussed. It's all about putting on airs and showing people how awesome, or wealthy you are. Kind of like how big a diamond or how big a boob job is for your wife. It doesn't add to the character or substance of the person. With that said, there's nothing wrong with working hard and enjoying the fruits of your labor by buying nice things.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #181
hd2000fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
Where do you find reputable online sellers of replica watches? I own a couple of Omegas but don't like wearing them everyday, I much rather beat up a $100 rep for day to day use
Not replica, but some of the lines they have are of makers of ones that are what you would call replicas.

Check out World of Watches.

Lots of nice stuff, from ones you don't care if you get wet, damage or lose to very nice ones. I have picked up just over a half dozen from them alone this past year.

I told my wife once, I'll buy a wacth for ever Cruise we take and no more, We did 7 that one year, I'm happy, she's happy and got he Philip Stein exactly how she wanted it put together at a very nice price from the place I mentioned as well.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #182
hd2000fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianN54 View Post
Fake watches are adorned by phony people.
I wouldn't say that, I would say that there might be more people who have real one just to make them think that somehow their dick just got bigger. Now don't you all go crazy, I didn't say you or anyone here, but we have all met that guy or gal..

Seriously, to me I could care less, it's like most things for me, there are things I like, things I don't and have never bought something because of a name, a reputation for quality yes, but not just to show off something because it's made by XX Company.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #183
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
If I saw someone with a fake watch (although fakes are so good nowadays I most likely wouldnt be able to tell) I would have no problem with as long as they dont go around bragging about it and claiming its real.
I understand that not everyone can afford a rolex, omega, AP, JLC, or etc and so you buy a fake because you like the way the watches look. But if you go buy a fake and starting claiming it's real then you're insulting the people who may have worked their ass off to buy the watch, the watch maker/manufacturer who spent countless dollars on R&D and design on the watch, and just the hobby in general.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #184
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I'm really struggling to stay away from homage watches..Would rather save up for the real thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #185
ErzenE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
Where do you find reputable online sellers of replica watches? I own a couple of Omegas but don't like wearing them everyday, I much rather beat up a $100 rep for day to day use
try this place, I purchased a couple from them and they look great and run really well. Can't tell the difference unless you asked.

www.iparadisiac.co
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #186
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErzenE92 View Post
try this place, I purchased a couple from them and they look great and run really well. Can't tell the difference unless you asked.

www.iparadisiac.co
if you dont mind me asking, which ones have you gotten?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #187
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErzenE92 View Post

www.iparadisiac.co
You can do much better than that. There are ones that look exactly like the real ones, including copied movements and the only way you can tell is to open up the case. Of course those replicas cost more than these.
      06-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #188
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

My opinion is that 'homages' are okay and fakes are not.

Homage = similar design, different branding
Fake = same design, attempted same branding
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #189
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

Don't support the sweat shops who exploit little kids. Just buy the real thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by accce; 06-03-2014 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #190
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
If I saw someone with a fake watch (although fakes are so good nowadays I most likely wouldnt be able to tell) I would have no problem with as long as they dont go around bragging about it and claiming its real.
I understand that not everyone can afford a rolex, omega, AP, JLC, or etc and so you buy a fake because you like the way the watches look. But if you go buy a fake and starting claiming it's real then you're insulting the people who may have worked their ass off to buy the watch, the watch maker/manufacturer who spent countless dollars on R&D and design on the watch, and just the hobby in general.
False claims:
+100 I couldn't agree more. So long as one is being true to oneself and with others, there's really nothing with which to take issue over the matter.

Hard work:
I'd be surprised that anyone spending near or upwards of $20K on a watch is working all that hard to buy it, a house or a boat perhaps...but I understand your point all the same, and I agree with the principle of it.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #191
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accce View Post
Don't support the sweat shops who exploit little kids. Just buy the real thing.
How droll. That's much more easily said than done. Many folks can save a lifetime and never reach a point where sensible it becomes for them to drop the kind of money it takes to buy watches such as the ones you pictured. I suspect even some costing even just half of the price might always be prohibitive for many folks.

Indeed, even affording such things, I can't ague soundly that spending such sums makes sense for any reason other than to assuage one's personal yearnings. The fakes, or even the knock-offs that only closely ape high-dollar timepieces, all are quite effective so long as they are of the uncomplicated variety. I can see how someone not really serious about collecting fine watches could easily justify a couple hundred or less in lieu of $10K+.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #192
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

Do you know what kind of organizations you are supporting when you purchase these fake watches?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #193
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

The truth about fake watches.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/arielada...ica-watches/2/
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #194
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Fake watches for fake people.

If you're on Instagram, follow account like Fakewatchbusta. It's hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #195
AlpineV8
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 DCT

I don't believe in fakes or supporting that industry. I wouldn't put a body kit on a 328i to make it look like an M3 and I wouldn't sport a fake high end watch.

Nothing to do with being a snob at all. I just think people should be happy with where they are in life because things can always change. People that sport fakes are missing something in their lives maybe? I dunno.

Life is too short. Enjoy it.
      06-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #196
AlpineV8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
How droll. That's much more easily said than done. Many folks can save a lifetime and never reach a point where sensible it becomes for them to drop the kind of money it takes to buy watches such as the ones you pictured. I suspect even some costing even just half of the price might always be prohibitive for many folks.

Indeed, even affording such things, I can't ague soundly that spending such sums makes sense for any reason other than to assuage one's personal yearnings. The fakes, or even the knock-offs that only closely ape high-dollar timepieces, all are quite effective so long as they are of the uncomplicated variety. I can see how someone not really serious about collecting fine watches could easily justify a couple hundred or less in lieu of $10K+.

All the best.

It's illegal. Plain and simple. A person serving up cheeseburgers doesn't just perform brain surgery one day because they realize they will never be able to afford a Patek otherwise.

Life is made up of different people in all different classes. That's life.
      06-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #197
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8 View Post
I don't believe in fakes or supporting that industry. I wouldn't put a body kit on a 328i to make it look like an M3 and I wouldn't sport a fake high end watch.

Nothing to do with being a snob at all. I just think people should be happy with where they are in life because things can always change. People that sport fakes are missing something in their lives maybe? I dunno.

Life is too short. Enjoy it.
I understand your point, and I don't particularly disagree with it by any means. As a practical retort to your point, keep in mind that no matter how many Westerners buy fake watches, or don't buy them, it'll have no impact on the industry that produces them. The fakes are so insanely inexpensive in the country where they are made that they are quite commonly purchased there by folks who live there.

Like it or not, you and I have to accept that if the PRC government is keen to do nothing about it, there's a 1.6 billion person strong market to sell the things to. You, I, others can buy or not buy them; it won't matter to that industry. The weight of "big numbers" cannot be overlooked when discussing this issue.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #198
AlpineV8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I understand your point, and I don't particularly disagree with it by any means. As a practical retort to your point, keep in mind that no matter how many Westerners buy fake watches, or don't buy them, it'll have no impact on the industry that produces them. The fakes are so insanely inexpensive in the country where they are made that they are quite commonly purchased there by folks who live there.

Like it or not, you and I have to accept that if the PRC government is keen to do nothing about it, there's a 1.6 billion person strong market to sell the things to. You, I, others can buy or not buy them; it won't matter to that industry. The weight of "big numbers" cannot be overlooked when discussing this issue.

All the best.
Agreed. When it comes to numbers, there's little that can really affect that freight train. For me it's just a personal decision to not support it regardless.

Cheers