BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board First Time Golfing

02-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
john9
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

First Time Golfing

Today I went to the driving range with a buddy and got hooked on Golf, spent maybe 4 hours hitting and today was my first day ever

Now that I'm all hooked on it, can anyone recommend me a good way to go from here? I plan on golfing many times a year (~20-30 times) and looking to pick up a complete set.

Budget I'd say is about 300-400 for the set. I'm 5'11''. Any good recommendations on what set to get and if I should get new or used sets? Thanks guys

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Taylor Made Burners.
      02-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Taylor made burner woods definitely.

I really like the Taylor made R11 driver as well.

Look at a cut back set of Irons, lots of options, go to a local shop with a indoor simulator and try them all out.

Don't buy the first time you go, give your body a few days rest and come back and try them again, then make your choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
ping irons...hybrids of your liking for 3 and 4...wedges that you feel comfortable with...52 and 56 degree...leave that 60 degree in the store...

practice putting...a lot...this is where half of your strokes will be lost/won

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I have Taylor Made R7 irons and Burner drivers. I concur with the putting practice. I can get on green in 3 shots pretty consistently but end up 3-5 putting which is horrendous and frustrating. My putter is the only club I didn't pick out myself which may have something to do with it.

The hardest part about learning golf is getting over the feeling that everyone is watching you and laughing inside. In truth, most golfers on public courses are thinking the same thing you are... and are just as bad.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho
I have Taylor Made R7 irons and Burner drivers. I concur with the putting practice. I can get on green in 3 shots pretty consistently but end up 3-5 putting which is horrendous and frustrating. My putter is the only club I didn't pick out myself which may have something to do with it.

The hardest part about learning golf is getting over the feeling that everyone is watching you and laughing inside. In truth, most golfers on public courses are thinking the same thing you are... and are just as bad.
I hate that feeling. Socially awkward penguin on every hole.
      02-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Go to a store that has a range for you to test lots of clubs (irons/hybrids/drivers)… what works for one person may not work for you. Also don't let the staff rush you. Come back a week later and try your favorite 2-3 again.

I started playing about 2 years ago, so didn't want to break the bank of my first set. Got a Callaway Big Bertha Diablo driver, Adam's hybrid and Wilson Staff irons.
      02-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I have found with practice and lots of coaching that if you take a slower and shorter backstroke and longer fluid follow through you will be much better.

Push the ball into the cup
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
SEE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i sedan monaco blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by john9
Today I went to the driving range with a buddy and got hooked on Golf, spent maybe 4 hours hitting and today was my first day ever

Now that I'm all hooked on it, can anyone recommend me a good way to go from here? I plan on golfing many times a year (~20-30 times) and looking to pick up a complete set.

Budget I'd say is about 300-400 for the set. I'm 5'11''. Any good recommendations on what set to get and if I should get new or used sets? Thanks guys
I play Nike pro combo irons an I am about a 12 HDCP. I love them but I started with their full cavities when I got back into golf a few years ago. That said, find a ping fitter and get fitted for a set of G10s IF they will still custom fit those. Sometimes they will still custom fit the previous generation clubs and they are about $400 new. Other than that, do a static fitting at ping's website and order a set off EBAY. I am suggesting ping because they are known for super game improvement irons. Maybe next year get a blended set. Also, you could try www.tgw.com as they have a static fitting as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

get fitted for some pings, then see if you can get a used set with your color code
      02-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I just started playing myself. I called my local country club and set up lessons with one of the pro's, to me it is good value for money, around $30 for 40 minutes, I figured I would go for 4-6 weeks worth of lessons and practice at the driving range before I go out on the course, I'm horribly self conscious and want to make sure my swing is at least half decent before everyone stares at me hacking away.

I had no interest in golf until my company started liquidating the local GolfUSA and I had a warehouse full of golf clubs, constantly seeing them made me want to start. I settled on the TaylorMade Burner 2.0 driver, very light and feels so comfortable in my hands. I went with the Vokey wedges and heard the same advice ideliver gave about choosing just two. For the irons I'm debating on the TM's or older Pings.

What are your guys suggestions on putters? I'm leaning towards a Scotty Cameron California, but I think I'm swayed by how it looks rather than if it is any good or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
SEE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ325i
I just started playing myself. I called my local country club and set up lessons with one of the pro's, to me it is good value for money, around $30 for 40 minutes, I figured I would go for 4-6 weeks worth of lessons and practice at the driving range before I go out on the course, I'm horribly self conscious and want to make sure my swing is at least half decent before everyone stares at me hacking away.

I had no interest in golf until my company started liquidating the local GolfUSA and I had a warehouse full of golf clubs, constantly seeing them made me want to start. I settled on the TaylorMade Burner 2.0 driver, very light and feels so comfortable in my hands. I went with the Vokey wedges and heard the same advice ideliver gave about choosing just two. For the irons I'm debating on the TM's or older Pings.

What are your guys suggestions on putters? I'm leaning towards a Scotty Cameron California, but I think I'm swayed by how it looks rather than if it is any good or not.
Can't go wrong with a Scotty Cameron but they are three times the cost of an average putter. I have a SC Detour 2 after using an old ping for a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Get lessons before clubs. Best thing you'll do in your golf career.
      02-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
get fitted for some pings, then see if you can get a used set with your color code
Yes get fitted if you plan to buy a new set. Most shops will give you credit towards your purchase if you get fitted by them.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #15
SEE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER
Get lessons before clubs. Best thing you'll do in your golf career.
+1

Most people do not even grip the club correctly. If you don't know what a strong, neutral or weak grip is then you need lessons. Simple things like that can take numerous stokes off your game.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by euge1978 View Post
+1

Most people do not even grip the club correctly. If you don't know what a strong, neutral or weak grip is then you need lessons. Simple things like that can take numerous stokes off your game.
+2

I know so many of my friends who spend all kinds of money on the best clubs, putters, drivers, balls, etc... and they can't break 100 to save their life. The equipment will only help you shave strokes on the margin and only after you have the fundemantal swing mechanics locked down.

I would recommend just getting a solid set of second hand clubs to use for the next 6-12 months as you learn your game and also understand what kind of equipment is out on the market. Later, when the time comes to buy new, stick with a set of solid, mid-priced, cavity-backed irons with hybrids for your 3 and 4 irons. No need to go too crazy on an expensive set. I would splurge a little bit on a nice driver, because I actually do think that the technology in drivers these days can make a real difference. But even then, you can buy a model that is one year old and save a lot of money. As for putters, I personally don't believe that there is any need to buy $300+ putters (ie Scotty Cameron), but putter choices very much come down to personal preference, so if it happens that you feel most comfortable with an upper end putter, go for it. Just remember that being using a more expensive putter does NOT in any way mean you will be a better putter.

If you are serious about golf, spend at least 75% of your time working on your wedges and short game. Skill from 100 yards and in is what separates the good from the mediocre. So you should expect to spend most of your time on the practice green working putting and chipping. When on the range, work mostly on your wedges and short to mid irons (ie 7-9 iron). Most people think that golf is about bombing the driver all day long. When I played golf competitively, I only hit my driver maybe 10 times each driving range session. It will be a bit of a grind at times, but trust me, it is the best way to get results.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

I agree that lessons should be the first priority but disagree about picking up off the rack or used clubs. Getting properly fitted for clubs that work for your golf swing can be worth a few shots right out of the gate. If you have a trusted clubmaker that can rework lie angles or reshaft you could be ok with a used set. Good grips, proper length and flex shafts, lie angle, etc. are all things a good pro or clubfitter will know best.

I'm not saying go out and get fitted for expensive clubs, but even getting properly fitted for a decent set of game improvement clubs will help immensely.
Appreciate 0