BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Las Vegas mass shooting going on

10-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #45
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Unfortunately.... Those POS are vying for attention at the worst possible moment. But NO media should be publishing this, this soon anyway. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many unanswered details.
Totally agree with your post. Hopefully the casualty numbers will go down especially, not that it would be good news. But there really is too much speculation right now.
Appreciate 1
Lups11819.50
      10-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #46
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
The thing that is also extremely frightening and unsettling: The potential for some sick ass copycat shooter who decided life of others means nothing to him nor his own life. How many of those are out there....
and they can just wander into Walmart and buy a weapon that can drop an elephant. Win.
Appreciate 1
Lups11819.50
      10-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #47
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Very sad to such madness going on in the world currently. It just takes one. I hope everyone is able to find their loved ones in that chaos.

The thing that surprises me is that a lot of people talk about gun control but no one has said anything about mental health? Like other said, people that have the intent to kill will find a weapon either legal or illegally.
Even as hailing from the country with strict gun control, I'm not sure that's the answer for these types of situations. Whether ISIS related or not, as the world has seen, a great number of other things can be turned into weapons. And as others have pointed out, criminals are not going to obey the law anyways.

So your point about mental health is a decent one - but how do you assess it? Can't screen for it. Not an obvious illness either...at least not till something happens in most cases I'd say. Yes, they might start to get reclusive, but that doesn't mean they will go on a rampage one day either. So while this could be good at stopping future crimes, it is probably extremely difficult if not impossible to implement.

So is there really anything that can be done? Let's assume this was terrorism for a moment, or think back to known terror attacks. Killing the perps just makes them heroes back home and inspires more sickos to do the same when they see all the praise and attention and since they have a meaningless life as it is, they sign up too.

Process them through the current judicial system? Well, maybe they get a payout like Omar Khadr. That wasn't cool. So that's not a great option...life isn't peachy behind bars, but I somehow don't see it as being enough of a punishment for this type of crime.

So then what?

Torturing them - well that's an interesting idea quite frankly. Torture without killing, let them rot, no easy way out, just every week some new pain. But it would have to be public, so that the message gets back, this is what will happen. But being the civilized people we are, we won't do that. And would likely inspire a few more people who are family of that person to do the same out of rage, until the message gets clearly sent and it dies down a little. Message being, you commit act of terrorism, the laws applying to civilians of our country will not apply to you - instead, this is what will happen. Combat terror with terror?

If not, what is the solution. Because I can't think of anything to stem what appears to be a growing amount of terrorist attacks - regardless of whether this was or was not terrorism.

I know madam Lups will disagree with me, but I just don't see a pacifist solution here.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #48
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Damn shit is crazy!! Fuck! So damn sad...
Appreciate 1
Lups11819.50
      10-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #49
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
and they can just wander into Walmart and buy a weapon that can drop an elephant. Win.
Not exactly.

My local WalMart doesn't sell anything larger than a BB gun.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Lups11819.50
      10-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #50
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I would totally characterize this as domestic terrorism. I think everyone associates terrorism with foreign criminals which is wrong.
I think we will find out this guy had some sort of mental issue.

There is only a very few cases in the US where the person had a grudge to settle and was not mentally unstable, the majority of them had some sort of mental issue. No on in there right mind just shots at people.

You can not call some one who is not stable a terrorist. The problem with our government and lots of people they like putting label on things to make it easy for them to explain it.

We all know where this is heading it going to be about the guns, the media is already demanding to know what kinds of guns, the police only said they were rifles, which i am glad this is what they said, because the media already report it as automatic weapon fire and you can tell it was not..

I am willing to bet this guy had some sort of mental problem and this was his way of leaving his mark. I wish they would never share the person name, it just gives other idiots bright ideas.

I just want to know when people are going to wake up and realize we have people walking among us who are not stable and are capability of doing these things and the people out who think these dangerous people have more rights than anyone else.
Appreciate 1
seedyrom147.00
      10-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #51
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I think we will find out this guy had some sort of mental issue.

There is only a very few cases in the US where the person had a grudge to settle and was not mentally unstable, the majority of them had some sort of mental issue. No on in there right mind just shots at people.

You can not call some one who is not stable a terrorist. The problem with our government and lots of people they like putting label on things to make it easy for them to explain it.

We all know where this is heading it going to be about the guns, the media is already demanding to know what kinds of guns, the police only said they were rifles, which i am glad this is what they said, because the media already report it as automatic weapon fire and you can tell it was not..

I am willing to bet this guy had some sort of mental problem and this was his way of leaving his mark. I wish they would never share the person name, it just gives other idiots bright ideas.

I just want to know when people are going to wake up and realize we have people walking among us who are not stable and are capability of doing these things and the people out who think these dangerous people have more rights than anyone else.
What was it then? Sounds like full auto to me. I don't see how someone's trigger finger is that fast with the staccato bursts I heard...just doesn't sound semi-auto.
Appreciate 3
Lups11819.50
Doc Oc1420.00
      10-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #52
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

This one seems really odd, makes you start wondering if he was the actual shooter, or if he was the guy put in to take the blame.

According to his brother he had no military background or gun background. Seems really suspicious considering there were around 10 guns found in the room.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #53
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Even as hailing from the country with strict gun control, I'm not sure that's the answer for these types of situations. Whether ISIS related or not, as the world has seen, a great number of other things can be turned into weapons. And as others have pointed out, criminals are not going to obey the law anyways.

So your point about mental health is a decent one - but how do you assess it? Can't screen for it. Not an obvious illness either...at least not till something happens in most cases I'd say. Yes, they might start to get reclusive, but that doesn't mean they will go on a rampage one day either. So while this could be good at stopping future crimes, it is probably extremely difficult if not impossible to implement.

So is there really anything that can be done? Let's assume this was terrorism for a moment, or think back to known terror attacks. Killing the perps just makes them heroes back home and inspires more sickos to do the same when they see all the praise and attention and since they have a meaningless life as it is, they sign up too.

Process them through the current judicial system? Well, maybe they get a payout like Omar Khadr. That wasn't cool. So that's not a great option...life isn't peachy behind bars, but I somehow don't see it as being enough of a punishment for this type of crime.

So then what?

Torturing them - well that's an interesting idea quite frankly. Torture without killing, let them rot, no easy way out, just every week some new pain. But it would have to be public, so that the message gets back, this is what will happen. But being the civilized people we are, we won't do that. And would likely inspire a few more people who are family of that person to do the same out of rage, until the message gets clearly sent and it dies down a little. Message being, you commit act of terrorism, the laws applying to civilians of our country will not apply to you - instead, this is what will happen. Combat terror with terror?

If not, what is the solution. Because I can't think of anything to stem what appears to be a growing amount of terrorist attacks - regardless of whether this was or was not terrorism.

I know madam Lups will disagree with me, but I just don't see a pacifist solution here.
Fixing the state of mental health services is absolutely a good start. Won't be the answer for every situation but will help reduce the chances of someone going "postal". Fixing mental health services goes beyond just proper assessment. It goes towards actually getting services. Trying to find mental health professionals which are not already booked or have a very long backlog/wait for an appointment can be extremely challenging. And when you do find someone who can see you within a week, you then have a challenge with insurance coverage.

The above also doesn't address the taboo subject of even admitting you need mental health services. The public stigma behind someone seeking or utilizing these services needs to stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #54
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

She is just getting sicker and sicker.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...er-attack.html

Please don't turn this into a gun control thread because it is not going anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #55
JIMT8292
Rep
Drives: 318i

There was a thread on the Rolex Forum about the shooting.

I posted - Living in the UK I don't understand the American mindset on guns when 11'000 people a year can die in one country and they do nothing. It's nuts.

Went to use the site 5 mins later and got this !

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Appreciate 2
Lups11819.50
seedyrom147.00
      10-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #56
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ she needs to stfu and disappear already.

I read the guy was a registered sexual predator. ???
Living in the Mandalay. ???

My guess:
Degenerate gambler. Lost everything. Sexual confusion. Nagging wife.
Boinko. Plans this concert tragedy.
Death by cop.
      10-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #57
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
radio media is saying he was anti trump.
of course some bogus video with bad quality say the suspect was at one of those rally at Reno.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #58
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

An interview with a former Sheriff indicated he sort of knew the shooter and said he's affiliated with Paddock Pools in Vegas. If true, this explains where he his financial resources were coming from.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #59
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Absolutely crazy. Heard he had like 10 machine guns and there was over 22,00" people at the music festival. :
Lups11819.50
      10-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #60
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

NBC reports the shooters father was a bank robber, fugitive on the FBI's Most Wanted list back in the late 60's or 1970's, captured and jailed and has since passed away, Believe he escaped from prison in Las Vegas and hence FBI's Most Wanted. The father was profiled as 'psychopathic and suicidal tendencies' by the FBI.
His brothers neglected to mention this in interviews.

So this all may be some type of vindictive retribution along with mental illness.

Last edited by overcoil; 10-02-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #61
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
Would you believe people are running for there lives still holding there beer.
It is a psychological/physiological (or whatever it is called) reaction under extreme stress. Whatever is in your hand during the incident people will almost always hang on to it tighter for whatever reason.
Appreciate 1
Lups11819.50
      10-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #62
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
why are they not treating this as a Terrorist attack?
I would totally characterize this as domestic terrorism. I think everyone associates terrorism with foreign criminals which is wrong.
Very curious as to why the president chose to avoid the word terrorist attack and just called it evil.
TXSTYLE13653.00
      10-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #63
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Very curious as to why the president chose to avoid the word terrorist attack and just called it evil.
Perhaps doing so would change his agenda on the banning situation. Terrorism is generally associated with radical Muslims, and the like, which come from over seas. We can't ban crazy Americans can we?
Appreciate 2
Lups11819.50
TXSTYLE13653.00
      10-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #64
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
perhaps (hopefully) he is waiting to get some facts before making a specific statement
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #65
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies View Post
Quote:
Perhaps doing so would change his agenda on the banning situation. Terrorism is generally associated with radical Muslims, and the like, which come from over seas. We can't ban crazy Americans can we?
But terrorism isn't really limited to foreign persons. There can be domestic terrorism. Any type of act to instill terror can be categorized as terrorism. Not just people of Muslim background. That's what really makes me think. Of that label.. terrorist. Do we label a foreigner as a terrorist easier than an American?
Lups11819.50
TXSTYLE13653.00
      10-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #66
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

so much unwarranted speculation, calm the fuck down.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410880.50
EdM53854.50
Lups11819.50