BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum M40 Loaner!

05-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
M40 Loaner!

So I took my M550 in for service this morning and I jokingly asked if they had any M3 or M5's as loaners…the guy said no but we do have a convertible Z4 M40!!

Most of the dealerships have such depleted loaner fleets I figured I'd be lucky to get anything that wasn't a two-series… so I was totally excited to get this thing as a loaner oh my gosh what a fun car!!!

Eight 986 boxer years ago this reminds me of that car only it handles better and is tons faster!!!

This car does not get off the line as fast as my all-wheel-drive M5 50 but once it's moving while it whales and the pops and crackles our glorious!

My wife and I have been talking about adding a roadster we were thinking about a Boxster but will give this one a close look if we actually decided to pull the trigger on a fun weekend car!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
CJ4211559.00
ebirotedu1460.00
KGun192.00
Horseman4131.50
      05-06-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Super FUN & tremendous performance value!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Great loaner! Sport Plus is where it's at.

I once got a brand-new F10 550i loaner and loved it, though I never did understand why they gave a chump like me such a nice car.

Charles
      05-07-2022, 12:39 AM   #4
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post

I once got a brand-new F10 550i loaner and loved it, though I never did understand why they gave a chump like me such a nice car.

Charles
The wife and I went out to dinner tonight with the Z4. Too down the whole way - and we went the loooong way… ☺️

Now she wants a roadster!

Z4 or Boxster…..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 05:21 AM   #5
Toon902
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i (March delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
Z4 or Boxster…..
The likelihood of getting a Z4 is much greater than a Boxster, especially the 6-cylinder GTS. I’ve been on a waitlist for an allocation since last year, and based on Rennlist anecdotes, it would appear the average wait times are approaching 2 years. Given that Porsche has announced that the 718s are going EV in MY2025, they’re a roll of the dice. Dealers realize that demand > supply, and are all charging ADMs now as well.

Your money. Your time.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #6
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post

Charles
The wife and I went out to dinner tonight with the Z4. Too down the whole way - and we went the loooong way… ☺️

Now she wants a roadster!

Z4 or Boxster…..
I would go for it, just remember "happy wife, happy life"!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toon902 View Post
Quote:
Z4 or Boxster…..
The likelihood of getting a Z4 is much greater than a Boxster, especially the 6-cylinder GTS. I’ve been on a waitlist for an allocation since last year, and based on Rennlist anecdotes, it would appear the average wait times are approaching 2 years. Given that Porsche has announced that the 718s are going EV in MY2025, they’re a roll of the dice. Dealers realize that demand > supply, and are all charging ADMs now as well.

Your money. Your time.
I had heard the 718's were going to be EV's… and they also know us incredibly difficult to get an allocation for anything. We had talked about trying to pick up at 911 and I had talked to a sales guy I know at the local Porsche dealer and he basically said it would be 18 months to get anything. That was prior to the shut down of Porsches factories recently

I could always pick up something CPO!

I rented a Boxster on Turo a couple of years ago so it's been too long for me to directly compare thst car to the Z4, time but I recall thinking it was so fun - and it was "only" a base , 2.0.

I took the car out last night and zipped around the neighborhood for about 15 minutes it was so much fun! Too bad I will have to drop it off this morning , but of course I am looking forward to getting my M 550 back!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #8
Karnidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
I went to the dealership a few weeks ago and test drove both the M550 and the G29 M40i. Two very different cars. I was driving a 540i and was looking for something with more fun factor. I drove the M550 first. It was faster than the 540i but not as much as I thought/expected. Being in a 540i already, everything else about the car was the same. I left the test drive feeling underwhelmed. I also looked at the fuel economy and it was 15.6mpg. Then I test drove the Z4 M40i. Black with magma red (orange) interior. It was an eye-catcher. I put her in sport + and was very impressed with the performance. I laughed every time I left a red light and stomped on the gas. If there is a difference in performance between the M550 and the Z4 M40i, I couldn't tell the difference. The M550 is such a big car that it felt sluggish compared to the 2-seater. Also, the styling on the Z4 is hands-down better, in every way, in my opinion. The fuel economy was pretty good too, ~ 25 mpg. After the test drive, I found myself looking over my shoulder at her while I was walking away. When I got inside and had to make a decision between the 2, it was the Z4 that excited me the most. It's not as practical as the M550, only has 2 seats, has less storage, but she is so fun to drive. And on warm days, having a convertible is a huge bonus. I look forward to leaving the house, just to get behind the wheel.
tall0n136.50
      05-07-2022, 11:33 PM   #9
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnidge View Post
I went to the dealership a few weeks ago and test drove both the M550 and the G29 M40i. Two very different cars. I was driving a 540i and was looking for something with more fun factor. I drove the M550 first. It was faster than the 540i but not as much as I thought/expected. Being in a 540i already, everything else about the car was the same. I left the test drive feeling underwhelmed. I also looked at the fuel economy and it was 15.6mpg. Then I test drove the Z4 M40i. Black with magma red (orange) interior. It was an eye-catcher. I put her in sport + and was very impressed with the performance. I laughed every time I left a red light and stomped on the gas. If there is a difference in performance between the M550 and the Z4 M40i, I couldn't tell the difference. The M550 is such a big car that it felt sluggish compared to the 2-seater. Also, the styling on the Z4 is hands-down better, in every way, in my opinion. The fuel economy was pretty good too, ~ 25 mpg. After the test drive, I found myself looking over my shoulder at her while I was walking away. When I got inside and had to make a decision between the 2, it was the Z4 that excited me the most. It's not as practical as the M550, only has 2 seats, has less storage, but she is so fun to drive. And on warm days, having a convertible is a huge bonus. I look forward to leaving the house, just to get behind the wheel.
Karnidge-

You are very right. The two cars are SO different. I'm not cross shopping them like you, as I have the M550 as my daily. I am in the market for another car. We have an F15 X5 and the M550. We have another Acura sedan our adult child drives, but will be adding another vehicle in the next few months. We thought about trading in the X5 for an X7..but our X5 still runs great…the idea of adding a Z4 or Boxster would be so fun.

When I dropped of the M40 and got back into my M550.. my 5er seemed SOOO big and squishy… and before I drove the Z4 my M550 felt pretty sporty. it's so relative.

The 5 series is such a better car for a daily. The Z4 is an awesome weekend toy though. Two very different cars with very different purposes. I think my M550 is faster once moving, but not by much. I have three kids…one is a young adult (20) and often not with us, so usually when we are out as a "family" there are 4 or us. We all fit in the M550 with room to spare. The kids have the armrest down int eh rear and can have drinks, and their phones plugged in with tons of leg room. The trunk is huge - as you know - and you can fit luggage for everyone easily. We just took a short road trip about two hours from home - all four of us, all our stuff, etc all fit easily. We went up to the mountains in Big Bear so cal - the roads up the mountain were so twisty… it was fun in the M550 but I kept thinking how amazing it would have been to do the trip with just my wife in the Z4. The z4 has a good sized trunk that woudl easily fit luggage and stuff for two easily.

If you need a car that would "do it all" and you wanted something that was as "sporty" and fun as the Z4 you'd need an M3. The M550 is fun but not sporty fun. I t's a really fast and luxuriously 5 series. It's not an M5….but a really fast 540. Tha'ts how I look at it. I drive 100 miles a day to work and back..so in my daily commute, with my massaging seats, and self driving - the active lane keeping and adaptive cruis - the car is just sublime to be in. The stereo in the Z4 sucked too..compared to the M550. Ideally you would have both. The M550 or a 540 to commute in most of the time or for Costco runs…) the trunk will fit a full grocery run - and a Z4 to play with on weekends and for date night

My dealer has a super nice Z4 CPO. It's silver on black iwth the blue stitching. Nice options. Has 12k miles. They want $62. I have noticed that Z4 are not selling to well. The dealer told me the one i had as a loaner had been their lot for 6 months. Int his hot car market..if a car sits for 6 months then the thing is not a hot item. I am assuming that the average buyer who wants to drop $60-75k on a roadster likely opts fora. Boxster..and even in this market, not a lot of people are wanting to buy a Z4..Which makes me wonder if they might deal on this car… my wife however swears she woudl rather have a Boxster. You can get 718 S Boxsters for similar pricing but older ones.. like a 2017 or 2018 for about 75k. So more money, older car, but similar miles.

Personally i think the Z4 is more bang for the buck than a boxster. It's still an awesome car, more features built into it - and I could get CPO for 15k less. Add 4k and you extend the CPO out another couple of years and you'd basically have a full blown warranty for 48 months after you buy it.

I'll think on it. My M550 is an awesome car for what it is - a family ca that goes fast. From a dead stop, not much can keep up with me. Maybe Teslas…but anything else, even people who try to stop me from speeding up and getting in front of them - it's useless.. i just blow by them off the line. The M550, even my 2018 is faster than the old F10 M5…so it rips. It just doesn't have that fun factor you are talking about.

Are you ditching your 540? An m40 is a sweet car for sure!!
Appreciate 1
Karnidge127.50
      05-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #10
Karnidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Karnidge-

You are very right. The two cars are SO different. I'm not cross shopping them like you, as I have the M550 as my daily. I am in the market for another car. We have an F15 X5 and the M550. We have another Acura sedan our adult child drives, but will be adding another vehicle in the next few months. We thought about trading in the X5 for an X7..but our X5 still runs great…the idea of adding a Z4 or Boxster would be so fun.

When I dropped of the M40 and got back into my M550.. my 5er seemed SOOO big and squishy… and before I drove the Z4 my M550 felt pretty sporty. it's so relative.

The 5 series is such a better car for a daily. The Z4 is an awesome weekend toy though. Two very different cars with very different purposes. I think my M550 is faster once moving, but not by much. I have three kids…one is a young adult (20) and often not with us, so usually when we are out as a "family" there are 4 or us. We all fit in the M550 with room to spare. The kids have the armrest down int eh rear and can have drinks, and their phones plugged in with tons of leg room. The trunk is huge - as you know - and you can fit luggage for everyone easily. We just took a short road trip about two hours from home - all four of us, all our stuff, etc all fit easily. We went up to the mountains in Big Bear so cal - the roads up the mountain were so twisty… it was fun in the M550 but I kept thinking how amazing it would have been to do the trip with just my wife in the Z4. The z4 has a good sized trunk that woudl easily fit luggage and stuff for two easily.

If you need a car that would "do it all" and you wanted something that was as "sporty" and fun as the Z4 you'd need an M3. The M550 is fun but not sporty fun. I t's a really fast and luxuriously 5 series. It's not an M5….but a really fast 540. Tha'ts how I look at it. I drive 100 miles a day to work and back..so in my daily commute, with my massaging seats, and self driving - the active lane keeping and adaptive cruis - the car is just sublime to be in. The stereo in the Z4 sucked too..compared to the M550. Ideally you would have both. The M550 or a 540 to commute in most of the time or for Costco runs…) the trunk will fit a full grocery run - and a Z4 to play with on weekends and for date night

My dealer has a super nice Z4 CPO. It's silver on black iwth the blue stitching. Nice options. Has 12k miles. They want $62. I have noticed that Z4 are not selling to well. The dealer told me the one i had as a loaner had been their lot for 6 months. Int his hot car market..if a car sits for 6 months then the thing is not a hot item. I am assuming that the average buyer who wants to drop $60-75k on a roadster likely opts fora. Boxster..and even in this market, not a lot of people are wanting to buy a Z4..Which makes me wonder if they might deal on this car… my wife however swears she woudl rather have a Boxster. You can get 718 S Boxsters for similar pricing but older ones.. like a 2017 or 2018 for about 75k. So more money, older car, but similar miles.

Personally i think the Z4 is more bang for the buck than a boxster. It's still an awesome car, more features built into it - and I could get CPO for 15k less. Add 4k and you extend the CPO out another couple of years and you'd basically have a full blown warranty for 48 months after you buy it.

I'll think on it. My M550 is an awesome car for what it is - a family ca that goes fast. From a dead stop, not much can keep up with me. Maybe Teslas…but anything else, even people who try to stop me from speeding up and getting in front of them - it's useless.. i just blow by them off the line. The M550, even my 2018 is faster than the old F10 M5…so it rips. It just doesn't have that fun factor you are talking about.

Are you ditching your 540? An m40 is a sweet car for sure!!
You bring up some great points about both cars. I have always liked the M550. When I bought my 540i, they didn't have any M550s at the time. They had several 540i's, with all the options, and the price point was much more reasonable. The 5-series is a much more practical daily driver and I really enjoyed it. The problem I have is I have too many cars in the driveway already and don't have room for both a 5-series and a weekend toy. Also, I have a terrible habit of trading in my car every couple of years.

My history over the past several years: Z4 M40i (current), 540i, M4 convertible, Z4 35is, 335i, M3, Cayman S.

My wife and daughter both have cars and if we need to take a family trip somewhere, we can take my wife's car. This has allowed me the opportunity to purchase less "family friendly" cars.

I agree that the sound system in the 5-series is MUCH better than the Z4. This is rather disappointing too. For $70K, the audio system should be top end. I also miss the 360 camera view. I used it all the time for parking, drive-throughs, etc. They should absolutely offer this in the Z4 too. Otherwise, the Z4 has everything I need. The BMW tech keeps getting better and better. idrive 7 is sooo much better than idrive 6. Things that were missing on my 540i that I am loving in the Z4 - remote start, OTA updates, proximity lock/unlock, convertible, performance, and sweet exhaust sounds

The 5-series may be the more practical daily driver but the Z4 M40i brings me more joy driving back and forth to work and, as you pointed out, is the perfect weekend toy. I think I need to add another garage spot so I can have both. lol.

Last edited by Karnidge; 05-08-2022 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 12:12 AM   #11
Bayernzeit
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2022 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
You bring up some great points about both cars. I have always liked the M550. When I bought my 540i, they didn't have any M550s at the time. They had several 540i's, with all the options, and the price point was much more reasonable. The 5-series is a much more practical daily driver and I really enjoyed it. The problem I have is I have too many cars in the driveway already and don't have room for both a 5-series and a weekend toy. Also, I have a terrible habit of trading in my car every couple of years.

My history over the past several years: Z4 M40i (current), 540i, M4 convertible, Z4 35is, 335i, M3, Cayman S.

My wife and daughter both have cars and if we need to take a family trip somewhere, we can take my wife's car. This has allowed me the opportunity to purchase less "family friendly" cars.

I agree that the sound system in the 5-series is MUCH better than the Z4. This is rather disappointing too. For $70K, the audio system should be top end. I also miss the 360 camera view. I used it all the time for parking, drive-throughs, etc. They should absolutely offer this in the Z4 too. Otherwise, the Z4 has everything I need. The BMW tech keeps getting better and better. idrive 7 is sooo much better than idrive 6. Things that were missing on my 540i that I am loving in the Z4 - remote start, OTA updates, proximity lock/unlock, convertible, performance, and sweet exhaust sounds

The 5-series may be the more practical daily driver but the Z4 M40i brings me more joy driving back and forth to work and, as you pointed out, is the perfect weekend toy. I think I need to add another garage spot so I can have both. lol.
The last few comments in this thread encourage me a lot. BMW has provided me a new 2022 540xi - going on three months now - while waiting for my Z4 M40i order. I traded in my daily-driver E88 135i cabrio at the same time.

The 135i was a gem; visceral, connected, and just begging one to wring it out on country roads. The 540xi, with all its comfort and tech, is supremely competent at crushing Autobahn kilometers in a way the 135i never could. However, I have yet to want to drive it just for the sake of a drive. I looked for excuses to drive the 135i, and the same for a less powerful E46 125i before it.

Yes, comparing a 135i to a 540xi with a decade between them is comparing so many apples to oranges, but my extended time with this new 5er has me thinking about the daily fun factor in modern BMWs. It seems to be alive and well in the Z4, per the comments above that remind me of the joy to drive my last BMW, and confirms my choice. Summers are fleeting here and my Z4 can't come soon enough (in the same color and wheel package as OPs loaner too)!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2022, 07:36 AM   #12
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
I agree that the sound system in the 5-series is MUCH better than the Z4. This is rather disappointing too. For $70K, the audio system should be top end.
Which sound system in the 5 series are you comparing it to? I have the HK system in my Z4 and have tweaked it to the point where I really enjoy listening to it and don't have any issues. In addition, the audio source and if the top is up or down which is a non issue in the 5 series also affects the quality of the sound.

Quote:
My son is out of the house and my wife has a 2021 228i Gran Coupe. This makes the M40i my DD and it is more than a toy as it not only fulfills all of my needs but makes my driving experience priceless.
Appreciate 0