BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum energy management warning

10-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #1
Yonder End
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 20i M Sport

energy management warning

I am getting the following message if I don't use the car for over 24 hours. I have tried switching off comfort access on leaving vehicle but to no avail. I have nothing connected like a dash cam.

I have noticed that the hazard warning button stays illuminated overnight. Not sure if this is normal. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonder End View Post
I am getting the following message if I don't use the car for over 24 hours. I have tried switching off comfort access on leaving vehicle but to no avail. I have nothing connected like a dash cam.

I have noticed that the hazard warning button stays illuminated overnight. Not sure if this is normal. Any ideas?
MY2020, 30, here: I've noticed the hazard warning it the last thing to turn off. The electricals turn off in shifts up to 20 minutes after going into "sleep" (not right term) mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Power usage

Try switching the auto light option off overnight? Auto uses power even when switched off. Shouldn’t drain that quickly but another thing to try.
Glovebox light staying on with the door shut? That used to be an issue in my early driving days. Again boot light worth considering.
Appreciate 1
pukeko28.00
      10-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

Are you locking the car when your done driving, even at home? I've never had this issue because I keep the car locked, even in the garage. A BMW tech told me long ago that the computer stays on and will drain the battery if the car remains unlocked and isn't driven for a awhile.
Appreciate 1
pukeko28.00
      10-26-2020, 04:22 AM   #5
Yonder End
Scotland
Rep

Thank you for your help. I will try these ideas. I do lock the car when at home. Interestingly, I got another message this morning stating "vehicle key battery discharged" Could this be related?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

Good question. Usually, the batteries in my key fobs last years. I keep them more than ~12 feet away from the car when at home. I did have the battery in my fob go dead (got the same warning as you) right after I picked up my car from the body shop (I got rear-ended on the way home from work). My guess is that the left the key in the car for the almost 2 weeks the car was at the shop, which drained the battery.
Appreciate 1
pukeko28.00
      10-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
Daniel GD
Rep
Drives: F22,G29

I got that message once. Charged the battery and never happened again.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
Yonder End
Scotland
Rep

I have resolved the issue!! For the last few weeks I changed where I normally parked my car in my driveway. With the leaves falling from the many trees I have, I parked the car nearer my house.
I have the comfort access option which is fantastic, but I didn't realise that there is a 2 stage closing down of all the electronics. The first stage locks the vehicle and just about everything else, except the illuminated hazard warning light switch (there may be other invisible functions).
Because the vehicle and the key were nearer each other than previously it meant that second stage lockdown wasn't happening, resulting in the energy management warning as well as draining the key fob battery.
Lesson learned, and hopefully this may be helpful to other owners.
Appreciate 3
V6 PFG10.50
pukeko28.00
      10-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonder End View Post
I have resolved the issue!! For the last few weeks I changed where I normally parked my car in my driveway. With the leaves falling from the many trees I have, I parked the car nearer my house.
I have the comfort access option which is fantastic, but I didn't realise that there is a 2 stage closing down of all the electronics. The first stage locks the vehicle and just about everything else, except the illuminated hazard warning light switch (there may be other invisible functions).
Because the vehicle and the key were nearer each other than previously it meant that second stage lockdown wasn't happening, resulting in the energy management warning as well as draining the key fob battery.
Lesson learned, and hopefully this may be helpful to other owners.
Not sure about this, something to keep an eye on. The keys shut down after 40 seconds of them not being moved to prevent skimmers picking up the signal from the outside of your house. If that’s the case then your key fob battery will be running down fast too. My keys for both keyless cars are kept inside a lead lined box in the house as extra protection.

Last edited by Combatcrew2; 10-27-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW003E View Post
Good question. Usually, the batteries in my key fobs last years. I keep them more than ~12 feet away from the car when at home. I did have the battery in my fob go dead (got the same warning as you) right after I picked up my car from the body shop (I got rear-ended on the way home from work). My guess is that the left the key in the car for the almost 2 weeks the car was at the shop, which drained the battery.
I had to replace the battery in my key fobs 5 times in the first 13 months of ownership. After the first 2 replacements I kept the key fobs further away from my garage parked car and it did not make any difference.
I think this is a software issue and reported it to my dealer each time I had to (prematurely) replace the battery. I measured the voltage of the new and old batteries each time, as I am a retired Electrical Engineer and possess accurate multimeters. This is what I found; when I removed the old (so called depleted) battery it measured very close to 3.0v each time. A new 3.0v CR2032 lithium battery measures about 3.3v. Clearly, the warning in the car should not come on until the battery is very much more depleted than 3.0v. My guess is that the warning should not come on until the battery has depleted by at least 20% of its rated voltage, i.e around 2.4v.
However, since my car software was updated to version 07/2020.05 in July I have not experienced any more problems with the key fob batteries. Hopefully, this software upgrade fixed the problem.
Appreciate 1
pukeko28.00
      10-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
Yonder End
Scotland
Rep

Thanks Combatcrew 2 and Jim S. It may well be a software issue, but ensuring the key is well distanced from the car over an extended lockdown period definitely works for me. No more warning messages and hazard warning light no longer illuminated.
Appreciate 0