BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum 2020 BMW Z4 M40i pricing starts at $64,695 ($995 included)

12-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #45
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Also let's not forget a Civic is 30 k, many seem to expect a top of the line Z4 be priced at 40 k....
A Civic is 19k. Far from your 30k.
If that's the case then the Z4 is 40k as announced, so not bad. The cheapest Porsche Boxster is 59 so a 19k difference. Not bad then BMW. Again, not even in the same league, let's find another competitor to the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #46
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Is there anybody who is actually thinking they might go for this?
I would. I do need to see it for myself though.

I am not retired, I do not track the car, I just like to have a fun yet still civilized and convenient car.

And I like convertible two seaters... fell in love with them ever since my older brother got a Alfa Spider when I was a child.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #47
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Guys, this car starts at 6000 less than a starter Boxter S, with less power and with a 4 cylinder that sounds like crap.
Not to mention the stratospheric prices of options in the Porsche....

This car doesn't even need to perform as well on a track, if it's close it's good enough. It has always been close.

It fails in that it doesn't offer a manual, as the Porsche does.

But price-wise, they're not even competing in the same category. Pick another contender.

Again: if this vehicle performs close to the Boxter S on track (we know it's quicker in a straight line), it's a winner (for auto lovers).
Wait, a roadster without a manual? That blows
      12-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #48
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
I still can't believe CarPlay is a subscription model in BMW's.
I hate that !
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #49
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

ooooooh boy! my hair dresser is going to be expecting a large christmas tip this year...
      12-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #50
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

hmmm fair comparison w/ boxster but the porsche doesn't have 6 cylinders anymore. I just hope the Z4 comes in manual though.

Also, for this kind of money I would just get the m240i in 6mt and keep the change.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #51
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Also let's not forget a Civic is 30 k, many seem to expect a top of the line Z4 be priced at 40 k....
If that's the case then the Z4 is 40k as announced, so not bad. The cheapest Porsche Boxster is 59 so a 19k difference. Not bad then BMW. Again, not even in the same league, let's find another competitor to the Z4.
No. This thread is about the Z4 M40i, not the base Z4. Don't confuse those.
      12-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #52
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Is there anybody who is actually thinking they might go for this?
I would. I do need to see it for myself though.

I am not retired, I do not track the car, I just like to have a fun yet still civilized and convenient car.

And I like convertible two seaters... fell in love with them ever since my older brother got a Alfa Spider when I was a child.
Very tough to pick this over a Boxster.
      12-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #53
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not. You're confusing things.
If I chose to compare the top-trim Civic to the top-trim Z4, comparing the entry level Civic to suit your purposes is just misguided.

What's your point anyway, or are you just here disagreeing with everyone with bad comparisons and no logic?

Have a great day, but please learn some logic before coming back to the forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #54
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If I chose to compare the top-trim Civic to the top-trim Z4, comparing the entry level Civic to suit your purposes is just misguided.

What's your point anyway, or are you just here disagreeing with everyone with bad comparisons and no logic?

You must be on your period. Why on earth would anyone that uses the term "logic" compare a Civic to a Z4? :
      12-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #55
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You must be on your period.
Love your signature!!! Hahahahahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #56
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Way overpriced considering how the Boxster is priced. The original Z4 started at like $45k tops didn't it?
The original Z4 M Roadster (2006) started at $56K. The original Z4 3.0i started at $39K. The original Z4 2.5i started at about $33K. The 2006 "facelift" that introduced the 3.0Si and replaced the base 2.5i with the 3.0, and raised the price(s) of each by $2K.

At that price, there's ZERO chance I would even be considering the new Z4. Not when a Corvette Grand Sport can be had for cheaper (I paid $65K for mine*) that has more power, better driving dynamics, and is convertible too (targa roof).

For point of reference, the Corvette Grand Sport I bought was fully optioned out, with the top of the line trim (3LT) with full leather trim dash, door, etc and alcantara A pillar and roof liner, plus Z07 package which comes with factory aero, carbon ceramic matrix brakes, tuned suspension, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 run flats...etc. Has just about every expensive option checked under the sun.

And still came in CHEAPER than the starting price of a new Z4 M40i.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #57
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Yikes, not even a full blown M car. That is about M3 msrp and $5k more than a M2 Competition. Guessing the next gen M3/M4/M2 will get a significant price increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Way overpriced considering how the Boxster is priced. The original Z4 started at like $45k tops didn't it?
The Z4 M40i price is basically BMW saying this is the top range Z4. It leaves no room for a full blown M version, it would have to start near $80k.
According to roundel it's basically an M4 aside from engine and new chassis.

So it's pretty close to a full M except of course the engine
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #58
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Fixed: the $64,695 price includes $995 destination and handling.
So the attached document is wrong? It specifically says that it does not include the $995, tax, tile, etc.
      12-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #59
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Fixed: the $64,695 price includes $995 destination and handling.
So the attached document is wrong? It specifically says that it does not include the $995, tax, tile, etc.
It's confusing but it says it excludes freight, and it says it includes freight.

I assume they confirmed it with someone that the latter piece is the right one.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #60
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Quote:
Guys, this car starts at 6000 less than a starter Boxter S, with less power and with a 4 cylinder that sounds like crap.
Not to mention the stratospheric prices of options in the Porsche....

This car doesn't even need to perform as well on a track, if it's close it's good enough. It has always been close.

It fails in that it doesn't offer a manual, as the Porsche does.

But price-wise, they're not even competing in the same category. Pick another contender.

Again: if this vehicle performs close to the Boxter S on track (we know it's quicker in a straight line), it's a winner (for auto lovers).

And that's the problem. Enthusiast will take into account that there is no manual and flock towards the Porsche(even the base model). Normal consumers looking for a fun roadster will be thrown off by the price. Z4/Z3 sales have never been that great to begin with, but no manual and a price tag so close to the Porsche will definitely not help sales.
No, I don't think they will. Porsche lost me with the 4cyl. Only the spyder (with its rumored RS mill) is interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:45 AM   #61
justinbsz
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40I 225I

Price in China

We get raped in china all said and done M40I got taken for 109,000 USD. with the Euro spec emissions control, Life is not fair.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #62
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
love all the Porsche price comments; the Boxster S is a great car.....even with the lame 4cyl but when I priced them out it was 47% more than a fully loaded Z4 M40i......not even CLOSE. I considered the BMW a bargain and bought one....loving it.

Dave
Appreciate 6
JustChris17424.50
UNCM2334.50
Jim S385.00
SakhirM410783.00
      03-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #63
QueueCumber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Current: Z4 M40i; 997.2 GT3 RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
love all the Porsche price comments; the Boxster S is a great car.....even with the lame 4cyl but when I priced them out it was 47% more than a fully loaded Z4 M40i......not even CLOSE. I considered the BMW a bargain and bought one....loving it.

Dave
Yeah, I was contemplating a used 2017-2018 Boxster S vs the Z4 M40i. The biggest deciding factor for me (funny enough) was being able to parallel park in NYC. Porsche front end would get destroyed...

Engine sound out of the box and all the technology in the car was also helpful. Z4 M40i sounds marvelous even before any mods. It won't stop me from doing some bolt-ons down the road, but in the meantime it sounds sweet.

I'm also sort of sick of Porsche presently. I had a 2014 Turbo S which ended up with a ton of bolt-on mods/tunes, and still have the analog 997.2 GT3 RS (2011) that's fun as hell, but requires great roads to really shine (because you can feel every little bump in the road!). I just wanted something that was fun with the top down and enjoyable to drive no matter the condition of the roads (especially since NYC roads can get pretty crappy).
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #64
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
Yeah, I was contemplating a used 2017-2018 Boxster S vs the Z4 M40i. The biggest deciding factor for me (funny enough) was being able to parallel park in NYC. Porsche front end would get destroyed...

Engine sound out of the box and all the technology in the car was also helpful. Z4 M40i sounds marvelous even before any mods. It won't stop me from doing some bolt-ons down the road, but in the meantime it sounds sweet.

I'm also sort of sick of Porsche presently. I had a 2014 Turbo S which ended up with a ton of bolt-on mods/tunes, and still have the analog 997.2 GT3 RS (2011) that's fun as hell, but requires great roads to really shine (because you can feel every little bump in the road!). I just wanted something that was fun with the top down and enjoyable to drive no matter the condition of the roads (especially since NYC roads can get pretty crappy).
I have a "love/hate" relationship with Porsches......I love the cars, designs and driving dynamics......hate the "nickle and dime" pricing structure, attitude of some of the dealers and the arbitrary attempts to keep the Boxster from being all that it could be just to protect the 911. The new 6 cyl 718's will be close to perfection for me but the price will be literally double what I paid for my Z4.....just can't justify it to myself. Man, I bet that GT3 RS is a cool car to drive.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1446.50