BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Software updates change driving behaviors?

04-05-2024, 09:10 PM   #1
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Software updates change driving behaviors?

Was reading in the 3 series forums people discussing 2023/11 software update improving Start/Stop function and possibly steering feel.

Is this actually something BMW can do? With these software updates can damping settings, start stop, steering, etc theoretically be tweaked?

I have not noticed any feel changes in the car with latest update, perhaps for 2019 to more recent years there could have been over the air changes sent down?

I will say the early Z4 reviews seemed to be critical of the cars handling…too firm, weird unsettled rear end….in recent years have not seen the ride quality bashed. Is that due to (hardware) changes or updated software changes to tweak the hardware?
Just wondering if anyone knows how much gets changed in updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 02:19 AM   #2
M6BEL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 740Le, X5, i3, Z4 M40i (soon)

In contemporary BMW vehicles, software significantly influences everything from engine performance to the functionality of entertainment systems. This approach to vehicle customization and enhancement isn't entirely new, though. So two examples from my own experience from the past :

- The E63 M6, alongside the E60 M5, was renowned for its glorious naturally aspirated V10 engine. However, its SMG transmission was notoriously clunky and jerky. A subsequent software update dramatically improved the SMG's performance, addressing bugs that had caused erratic behavior. This upgrade transformed the M6 driving experience, making it far smoother and more enjoyable.

- Two and a half decades ago, I had the pleasure of driving a 2.8 Z3 equipped with a 4-speed ZF automatic transmission, which, by today's standards, lacked sophistication. It didn't offer paddle shifters or other means for manual control over gear changes. The only manual intervention available was a kickdown button beneath the throttle pedal, designed to downshift the transmission during hard acceleration, such as when passing another vehicle. Enthusiasts on Z3 forums discovered and shared a technique for exploiting this feature: by briefly pressing the throttle to the floor while decelerating into a corner, the kickdown button would signal the transmission to downshift, preparing it for quicker acceleration out of the corner. However, shortly before I transitioned to a Z4, BMW issued a software update that eliminated this "bug," removing the ability to trigger a downshift with a short throttle blip, thus ending this workaround.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #3
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
The start/stop in the 3 series is a lot better than the one in the Z4 (previous car was an M340). It has the 48V mild hybrid and it’s significantly smoother/less noticeable than in the Z4.
Appreciate 0