BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Another Remote Software Update thread

07-16-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
rickyr17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M850i Vert (G14)

Garage List
Another Remote Software Update thread

I realize this has been discussed here a few times and on different forums. I'm yet to find a good answer. I mentioned my troubles in other threads as well. When the 11.2022 update was pushed to my car via the app earlier this spring it was stuck on "Preparations are complete" and the install never started. I eventually took it to the dealer to do the update. I was still under warranty. Now that the warranty expired the 03.2023 update is stuck on the "preparations are complete" screen. I'm not taking it in so they can charge me $250+ to do something that should work remotely.

I've seen all the threads and tried all of the tricks mentioned (flat surface, battery full, leave outside, run in diag mode, etc.). I picked up a vlink bluetooth adapter to read the battery and codes. The battery was at 89% which I have to believe is enough. Nevertheless, I put an agm charger on it to see if I can get it to 100%. Still no update.

It found a bunch of random faults. I attached the list. I wonder if that could be the problem? Unfortunately, I can't clear them without paying $40 for the app. Anybody know of a free or much lower priced app that will clear codes? I can't justify paying $40-50 for an app I'll use once and not even be sure if it'll resolve the problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 11:13 PM   #2
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr17 View Post
I realize this has been discussed here a few times and on different forums. I'm yet to find a good answer. I mentioned my troubles in other threads as well. When the 11.2022 update was pushed to my car via the app earlier this spring it was stuck on "Preparations are complete" and the install never started. I eventually took it to the dealer to do the update. I was still under warranty. Now that the warranty expired the 03.2023 update is stuck on the "preparations are complete" screen. I'm not taking it in so they can charge me $250+ to do something that should work remotely.

I've seen all the threads and tried all of the tricks mentioned (flat surface, battery full, leave outside, run in diag mode, etc.). I picked up a vlink bluetooth adapter to read the battery and codes. The battery was at 89% which I have to believe is enough. Nevertheless, I put an agm charger on it to see if I can get it to 100%. Still no update.

It found a bunch of random faults. I attached the list. I wonder if that could be the problem? Unfortunately, I can't clear them without paying $40 for the app. Anybody know of a free or much lower priced app that will clear codes? I can't justify paying $40-50 for an app I'll use once and not even be sure if it'll resolve the problem.
I would be much more worried about all of those error codes than the 03.2023 update but, yes, I'm confident one or more of those error codes are preventing the update.

I agree that clearing (or attempting to clear) the codes may not allow you to perform the update. One or more of those codes may indicate a real problem. Clearing the code won't resolve the problem because the code(s) will return for legitimate problems.

If in your shoes, assuming the car seems to otherwise be operating normally, I would pay the $36 for Bimmerlink, clear the codes, and see which ones return. Any that return are likely legitimate and need to be troubleshot and resolved before attempting to update the software.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 07:06 AM   #3
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
I would be much more worried about all of those error codes than the 03.2023 update but, yes, I'm confident one or more of those error codes are preventing the update.

I agree that clearing (or attempting to clear) the codes may not allow you to perform the update. One or more of those codes may indicate a real problem. Clearing the code won't resolve the problem because the code(s) will return for legitimate problems.

If in your shoes, assuming the car seems to otherwise be operating normally, I would pay the $36 for Bimmerlink, clear the codes, and see which ones return. Any that return are likely legitimate and need to be troubleshot and resolved before attempting to update the software.
I should've added that I'm only going to have the car for anohter 4-5 months so I'm not trying to invest much more. The dealer didn't do anything about the faults when I took it in last March. I don't know for sure they were there back then but the update didn't work then so I'm making an assumption. Either way, since I'm trading it in and everything is operating normally, I'm going to leave it as is until I get my new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 10:15 AM   #4
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I should've added that I'm only going to have the car for anohter 4-5 months so I'm not trying to invest much more. The dealer didn't do anything about the faults when I took it in last March. I don't know for sure they were there back then but the update didn't work then so I'm making an assumption. Either way, since I'm trading it in and everything is operating normally, I'm going to leave it as is until I get my new car.
Ah, yes, I understand. Are you not concerned about trade-in value with those fault codes lurking?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 08:41 PM   #5
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, yes, I understand. Are you not concerned about trade-in value with those fault codes lurking?
I'm not too concerned. They aren't check-engine codes so they don't show up on a standard OBD2 read. I have torque pro and it didn't show any faults. When I took it to the dealer in the spring they didn't tell me about any faults either. So either they neglected to tell me or they didn't check. I plan to get it appraised and get an offer from carvana or similar service to get a real starting point for trade-in negotiations. If the dealer doesn't give me a proper trade I'll sell it to the service.

BTW, I did an appraisal a couple months back thru one of those car buying services and it was much higher than the "proposed" trade-in value the dealer keeps sending me letters on. That "proposed" value is pure speculation so who knows what they'll actually offer. I'm happy there are options besides the dealer. I can use them as leverage.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 11:35 PM   #6
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not too concerned. They aren't check-engine codes so they don't show up on a standard OBD2 read. I have torque pro and it didn't show any faults. When I took it to the dealer in the spring they didn't tell me about any faults either. So either they neglected to tell me or they didn't check. I plan to get it appraised and get an offer from carvana or similar service to get a real starting point for trade-in negotiations. If the dealer doesn't give me a proper trade I'll sell it to the service.

BTW, I did an appraisal a couple months back thru one of those car buying services and it was much higher than the "proposed" trade-in value the dealer keeps sending me letters on. That "proposed" value is pure speculation so who knows what they'll actually offer. I'm happy there are options besides the dealer. I can use them as leverage.
I don't know how close you've been following, but resale values on Z4s have dropped significantly over the past six months or so as availability has slowly increased.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:15 PM   #7
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know how close you've been following, but resale values on Z4s have dropped significantly over the past six months or so as availability has slowly increased.
Yep. I fully comprehend that the value will be less when I do trade it in. I want to be certain I get the maximum possible value when I do. If that means selling it to a car buying service then so be it. Those services can be leveraged at the dealer to get the maximum value, whatever that may be.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:53 PM   #8
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Yep. I fully comprehend that the value will be less when I do trade it in. I want to be certain I get the maximum possible value when I do. If that means selling it to a car buying service then so be it. Those services can be leveraged at the dealer to get the maximum value, whatever that may be.
I sold my A5 to an online car service. Was the easiest thing ever, and they offered way more than a dealer. Came to my place with a flatbed. Did a quick check on the car and handed me a check on the spot.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 06:28 PM   #9
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
I sold my A5 to an online car service. Was the easiest thing ever, and they offered way more than a dealer. Came to my place with a flatbed. Did a quick check on the car and handed me a check on the spot.
I used Carmax for my old Mercedes as they were a few grand more than what the dealer offered. They inspected the car and then held the quote for 7 days. I brought my car in on day #6 and walked out with a check in a little over one hour.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 06:43 PM   #10
rickyr17
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I used Carmax for my old Mercedes as they were a few grand more than what the dealer offered. They inspected the car and then held the quote for 7 days. I brought my car in on day #6 and walked out with a check in a little over one hour.
That's what I want to hear. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:33 PM   #11
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
That's what I want to hear. Thanks.
I sold my E89 and a GMC Canyon to Carmax earlier this year. The E89 was almost $4k more than trade-in. The GMC was about $1k less than what I paid for it 2 years prior.

In both cases it was a simple no-hassle deal. I did the online offer and scheduled a time. They inspect it to verify what you claimed online. They honored the offer. I've heard of some others that would try and lower their offer for various reasons.

I left an hour or so later with a bank draft (not a check.)

They also immediately report the sale to the state so you don't get dinged when you cancel your insurance (I had one sale a few years ago elsewhere where they didn't immediately change the title. I then had to convince the state I'd sold it when they threatened to suspend my driver's license for not having insurance on my vehicle.)