BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Treat people the way you'd like them to treat you.

02-28-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Treat people the way you'd like them to treat you.

Not sure why anyone would live by any other principle, yet I encounter people all the time that seem to expect others to treat them better than they treat those same people. Seems rather backward. And any haters who say that is wrong need to get their head checked.
Appreciate 5
Soul_Glo13359.50
shay2nak1070.00
      02-28-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

I agree, but respect and people hiding behind their keyboards over the internet don't necessarily go hand in hand.

We live in a generation where trolling, bullying, and shaming are now the norm. Just ignore the haters, and keep staying true to yourself!
Appreciate 3
bimmer4562981.00
Soul_Glo13359.50
      02-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7567.50
Maynard3849.50
      02-28-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?
Sorry that sentence doesn't make any sense.
Appreciate 2
unluky7533.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      02-28-2018, 01:01 AM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      02-28-2018, 04:42 AM   #6
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Here's some similar, but slightly different one-liners for your consideration:

Treat others how they treat you.

Forgive others for being idiots, because you're often an idiot yourself.

Never put down to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence. Never put down to incompetence that which can be adequately explained by apathy.

People will treat you however you let them. It is your choice to tolerate unreasonable expectations placed upon yourself and your choice how you respond to unreasonable behaviour directed toward you.

Learn how to not give a fuck. True happiness is not found by fulfilling your goals, it is found by not giving a fuck everything else that fills most people's days.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

It's called "the golden rule", I live by it and raised my kids to live by it. It frankly covers a lot of ground when you think about it. Do onto others as you'd have others do onto you.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #8
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Attached Images

Appreciate 5
F30lolz6802.50
Germanauto9714.50
shay2nak1070.00
      02-28-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
It really annoys me when I smile at or say hi to someone as I walk by & I get nothing or a dirty look. Really, asshole?

I'm already done with people so the few times I do bother, don't make me dislike people even more, k?
Appreciate 1
shay2nak1070.00
      02-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #10
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Just ignore the haters, and keep staying true to yourself!
Unless you're a snowflake offended by everything & think everyone should respect everything you do/say.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I recently took some "respectful workplace" training at work and the new rule is no longer "treat others like you want to be treated"
It is now "treat others like THEY want to be treated"
I kid you not.
We are all fucked.
Appreciate 3
Hawkeye2069.50
lakefront560.50
shay2nak1070.00
      02-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Not sure why anyone would live by any other principle, yet I encounter people all the time that seem to expect others to treat them better than they treat those same people. Seems rather backward. And any haters who say that is wrong need to get their head checked.
This is exactly why I tailgate slower drivers and get over for people going faster than me.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
I recently took some "respectful workplace" training at work and the new rule is no longer "treat others like you want to be treated"
It is now "treat others like THEY want to be treated"
I kid you not.
We are all fucked.

I want to be treated like royalty & I want all hot women I encounter to treat me like they want my hog 24/7
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I live a little different and it's served me well all these years...I don't expect anyone to owe me anything...hard to live like this in the age of millennials, where they expect the world owes them everything. I still think that I treat people well, I just don't expect them to treat me the same.

Read this article a long time ago. I know some of you want coles notes, but I don't owe you anything...

I'm definitely going to pass this down to my children.

Quote:
A Gift for My Daughter

by Harry Browne

December 25, 1966

(This article was originally published as a syndicated newspaper column, dedicated to my 9-year-old daughter.)

It’s Christmas and I have the usual problem of deciding what to give you. I know you might enjoy many things — books, games, clothes.

But I’m very selfish. I want to give you something that will stay with you for more than a few months or years. I want to give you a gift that might remind you of me every Christmas.

If I could give you just one thing, I’d want it to be a simple truth that took me many years to learn. If you learn it now, it may enrich your life in hundreds of ways. And it may prevent you from facing many problems that have hurt people who have never learned it.

The truth is simply this:

No one owes you anything.

Significance

How could such a simple statement be important? It may not seem so, but understanding it can bless your entire life.

It means that no one else is living for you, my child. Because no one is you. Each person is living for himself; his own happiness is all he can ever personally feel.

When you realize that no one owes you happiness or anything else, you’ll be freed from expecting what isn’t likely to be.

It means no one has to love you. If someone loves you, it’s because there’s something special about you that gives him happiness. Find out what that something special is and try to make it stronger in you, so that you’ll be loved even more.

When people do things for you, it’s because they want to — because you, in some way, give them something meaningful that makes them want to please you, not because anyone owes you anything.

No one has to like you. If your friends want to be with you, it’s not out of duty. Find out what makes others happy so they’ll want to be near you.

No one has to respect you. Some people may even be unkind to you. But once you realize that people don’t have to be good to you, and may not be good to you, you’ll learn to avoid those who would harm you. For you don’t owe them anything either.

Living your Life

You owe it to yourself to be the best person possible. Because if you are, others will want to be with you, want to provide you with the things you want in exchange for what you’re giving to them.

Some people will choose not to be with you for reasons that have nothing to do with you. When that happens, look elsewhere for the relationships you want. Don’t make someone else’s problem your problem.

Once you learn that you must earn the love and respect of others, you’ll never expect the impossible and you won’t be disappointed. Others don’t have to share their property with you, nor their feelings or thoughts.

If they do, it’s because you’ve earned these things. And you have every reason to be proud of the love you receive, your friends’ respect, the property you’ve earned. But don’t ever take them for granted. If you do, you could lose them. They’re not yours by right; you must always earn them.

My Experience

A great burden was lifted from my shoulders the day I realized that no one owes me anything. For so long as I’d thought there were things I was entitled to, I’d been wearing myself out — physically and emotionally — trying to collect them.

No one owes me moral conduct, respect, friendship, love, courtesy, or intelligence. And once I recognized that, all my relationships became far more satisfying. I’ve focused on being with people who want to do the things I want them to do.

That understanding has served me well with friends, business associates, lovers, sales prospects, and strangers. It constantly reminds me that I can get what I want only if I can enter the other person’s world. I must try to understand how he thinks, what he believes to be important, what he wants. Only then can I appeal to someone in ways that will bring me what I want.

And only then can I tell whether I really want to be involved with someone. And I can save the important relationships for those with whom I have the most in common.

It’s not easy to sum up in a few words what has taken me years to learn. But maybe if you re-read this gift each Christmas, the meaning will become a little clearer every year.

I hope so, for I want more than anything else for you to understand this simple truth that can set you free: no one owes you anything.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2018, 01:27 AM   #15
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

golden rule is outdated...

It has been replaced by the platinum rule.
http://www.alessandra.com/abouttony/aboutpr.asp

However that too has it limits.

too tired to go much deeper with what I think works best..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #16
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Do unto others as they would do unto you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #17
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Most of the time I find people friendly and responsive to a friendly greeting. It actually feels good to have someone respond positively to a “good morning” or even a “thank you”.

So, good morning everyone, hope everybody has a great day! Spring is coming, F1 season opener is on the horizon and March break (CAD) to spend quality time with the kids!
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      03-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Do it to others before they can do it to you?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #19
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I used to be very nice and innocent. Would give people the benefit of the doubt and overall be an agreeable person.

I realized it got me nowhere, whether it be with career, socially, or with girls.

It's sad but human nature is selfish and the more unselfish you are, the less the world rewards you. I believe most people are nice on the surface, but are assholes underneath the facade.

I've realized the only things that truly care for you in this world are your parents, dog, bank account, and maybe your spouse. I still try to be kind, but I won't go out of my way for it. My needs come first.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Truth
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #21
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

I do not know whats wrong with humans and society that now bullying, being bad, evil, foul language, so forth is OKAY. I do not know how it all started. Its baddd...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #22
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
I do not know whats wrong with humans and society that now bullying, being bad, evil, foul language, so forth is OKAY. I do not know how it all started. Its baddd...
We are starting to see the truth of our nature based on the capitalist culture.
Once upon a time things I believe weren't so.
Appreciate 0