BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum How's reliability been so far?

03-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #23
Northzed4
Rep
Drives: ZED 4 G29

To be very fair and honest,
I'm at 14k miles now and the only problem I had back to back between my oil changes that it ran out of oil. I had to go to the dealer and get more oil added. The car is in at service now for a second oil change and some recall for the backup camera. I asked them to check it out correctly to see what is exactly consuming all that oil . I know it's not leaking anywhere for sure. Other than that I absolutely love my
Z4 . Knock on wood I haven't experienced any other problems a lot of people have mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #24
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northzed4 View Post
To be very fair and honest,
I'm at 14k miles now and the only problem I had back to back between my oil changes that it ran out of oil. I had to go to the dealer and get more oil added. The car is in at service now for a second oil change and some recall for the backup camera. I asked them to check it out correctly to see what is exactly consuming all that oil . I know it's not leaking anywhere for sure. Other than that I absolutely love my
Z4 . Knock on wood I haven't experienced any other problems a lot of people have mentioned.
Are you sure it's not leaking?
When my 135i had a leaking oil filter housing gasket I said I'm not seeing any evidence on my garage floor.
He said there's a pan that catches it so you don't see the leak.
      03-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #25
Northzed4
Rep

That's interesting, I never noticed any drops of oil in my garage or wherever I park either. The first time I told the dealer about it they said it was nothing serious and didn't give me an exact answer to it so I just went with the flow to see if it happens again and it did. My car is still in for service, I will probably get it back in a couple of days and I will get to the bottom of it and see what they have to say this time. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #26
Nharceg
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northzed4 View Post
That's interesting, I never noticed any drops of oil in my garage or wherever I park either. The first time I told the dealer about it they said it was nothing serious and didn't give me an exact answer to it so I just went with the flow to see if it happens again and it did. My car is still in for service, I will probably get it back in a couple of days and I will get to the bottom of it and see what they have to say this time. Stay tuned.
Mine has also had the “low oil” twice. Dealer says it’s not leaking anywhere and just tops it off. I have two friends with M340 sedans and each of theirs has also gotten “low oil” messages. Strange/annoying but I haven’t worried about it too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #27
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep

But this isn't particularly reassuring....
      03-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #28
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Not sure if this is an issue with my car (Z4 M40i) but in sport mode if I accelerate hard say from standstill to 40mph and then back off its like the car gets confused and starts kangarooing badly.
      03-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #29
Northzed4
Rep

Just got my car back today, dealer checked everything out to look for possible leaks but nothing was found. A buddy of mine works at the dealer so I had him personally check the car out and according to him driving it in sports mode a lot can cause that ( I do drive it in sports mode a lot ) he also mentioned that he noticed the same complains from other Z4 owners as well and some showed signs of leaks while majority did not. Another thing just put it out there, rear view camera replaced I couldn't see any difference and idrive updated and it altered all my settings (what a pain in the ass) I noticed all my apps were GONE! my weather app is missing, bmw connected drive app functions are missing. New app called "Personal Assistant "has been added in "Installed Apps".. matter of fact only installed app I'm seeing is the Personal Assistant app. I haven't gotten time to check it all out but all my widgets were gone that I previously stored as well. Looks like I'm ganna have to take it back on my free day and get some things loaded back in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #30
AlZ4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
Another question...

Did anyone cross-shop the Z4 with the M240?

Back in 2012 when I bought my 135i convertible my original intent was a Z4. I ended up going with the 135i because it had more room (mostly for stuff rather than people) and it was maybe $10-$12k less expensive.

And the car is fun and I don't regret my decision.

So here we are in 2020 with a fairly new M240 and a completely new Z4 I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the two in comparison to each other. Looks like the price differential is still about the same.

Edit:
I actually meant to make this a separate topic.
7 months with no issues but only around 3k miles.

I came from a M240i vert. Main reason I left the M240i was the width of the lower portion of the front seats. I could only take about 45 minutes riding in it without needing to get out and stretch my back. Z4 is wider and seats are wider and I don't have that issue. There is more front seat passenger room all around in the Z4. M240i throttle was more sensitive which made it feel quicker but the Z4 M40i is definitely quicker. Z4 also handles better. The tires on the M240i were just not wide enough.

Another difference is the wind noise. The M240i with top down, windows up and windscreen up was still very loud at highway speeds because of the wind noise. Z4 is much better with wind noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #31
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZ4 View Post
7 months with no issues but only around 3k miles.

I came from a M240i vert. Main reason I left the M240i was the width of the lower portion of the front seats. I could only take about 45 minutes riding in it without needing to get out and stretch my back. Z4 is wider and seats are wider and I don't have that issue. There is more front seat passenger room all around in the Z4. M240i throttle was more sensitive which made it feel quicker but the Z4 M40i is definitely quicker. Z4 also handles better. The tires on the M240i were just not wide enough.

Another difference is the wind noise. The M240i with top down, windows up and windscreen up was still very loud at highway speeds because of the wind noise. Z4 is much better with wind noise.
Thanks for your input on this. I almost never drive my 135i more than 45 minutes at a time so its not an issue for me.

Madison, AL eh?
I miss the old Chuck Wagon BBQ place there.
      03-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #32
wlcmlc
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW z4

New here. Found this site looking for info on an error code I got for my 2019 z4. It is P05AF. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they will fix tomorrow. They said "the radiator blinds or flaps are binding causing the engine light, we will replace as necessary., it's a new style/system on the newer cars." Just wanted to let other owners know.

Info: 2019 Z4 with about 2,800 miles.

UPDATE 03/16/2020: Not good news. Said they couldn't get the work done on Friday and needed today. Heard earlier today they were almost done and then going to test drive it. That was 2+ hours ago. Will update when I get further news.

Last edited by wlcmlc; 03-16-2020 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50