BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Let's See Your House Projects!

10-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #529
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
If you’re holding true to the design, how does that fit in with the rest of the neighborhood? Pretty much all that have been updated around here have completely removed what the house was so that it didn’t stick out in the area. It’s a shame!
This neighborhood is a mix. There are three other MCMs here, the majority are just "normal" 50s-60s ranches/split-levels, though.

Sadly, the house straight across from us is a 2005 McMansion, but the owners are very nice, so it mitigates the issue a lot.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #530
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
just finished my son's room with the Bamboo flooring. this was the last room upstairs that wasn't done. so many projects going on at once lol!

Hey, I just noticed that is the same bamboo flooring we did in the 3rd floor bonus room of our house in NC! It's a sharp floor.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      10-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #531
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Hey, I just noticed that is the same bamboo flooring we did in the 3rd floor bonus room of our house in NC! It's a sharp floor.
love this flooring. I did the upstair bedrooms, hallway, master bedroom, stairs and main floor. i'll probably continue the flooring down into the basement stairs
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #532
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Built this door today. Gotta hang the track and install handle tomorrow.
Dig these doors! Wish my place had the space for one. All of my doors are in very odd placements, i.e. the walls where door frames are all consist of angles. I really like the color on yours.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410882.00
      10-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #533
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My wife wanted me to "re-do" the wooden trash can in the kitchen. I sanded everything down to bare pine, then stained and sealed it. Red Oak isn't supposed to be almost black. While the top lid (what I see the most) actually showed some nice grain, the sides I could have almost just painted with black lacquer and just been done with it. When I removed the wooden ball handle, there was this layer of stuff that I had to chisel off, I think this may have belonged to her mom originally. YEARS of grubby hands, and the size of the ball such that you had to touch the lid to grasp it. A nice new metallic handle really offsets that grain.

I spent the last couple days sorta cruising around some of the lesser neighborhoods, looking for something like a coffee table to refinish sitting by a curb
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #534
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My wife wanted me to "re-do" the wooden trash can in the kitchen. I sanded everything down to bare pine, then stained and sealed it. Red Oak isn't supposed to be almost black. While the top lid (what I see the most) actually showed some nice grain, the sides I could have almost just painted with black lacquer and just been done with it. When I removed the wooden ball handle, there was this layer of stuff that I had to chisel off, I think this may have belonged to her mom originally. YEARS of grubby hands, and the size of the ball such that you had to touch the lid to grasp it. A nice new metallic handle really offsets that grain.

I spent the last couple days sorta cruising around some of the lesser neighborhoods, looking for something like a coffee table to refinish sitting by a curb
Pics of said designated bin of refuse?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #535
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Pics of said designated bin of refuse?
I never said I went to a den of ill repute, so not sharing pics with you.

I checked my phone, could have sworn I texted pics to wife. Will snap in a few hours when home.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #536
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I never said I went to a den of ill repute, so not sharing pics with you.

I checked my phone, could have sworn I texted pics to wife. Will snap in a few hours when home.
As for different coffee/cocktail table ideas, I had mine fabricated out of angle iron, red oak and lag bolts. Super cheap to make, cost about half of what you would pay for a table at a furniture store. I had someone make mine as I just didn't have the time to make it myself then. I'll post up some pics tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #537
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

did a custom gate (my metal guy built the gate according to specs i gave him so that all you see is a sliver of frame). Finish was done in aluminum siding (6" v-grove planks, come in 16' runs). I also used it on some exterior accents locations which i initially speced for siding anyway when i did the stucco. Installation of siding was super easy. As much as i love the IPE look i just dont have time nor do i want to deal with the upkeep.. this stuff will last forever and finish warranty is 25 years.. you can get almost any color imaginable, i went with barn wood oak. I'll prob spray a UV coat every 5 years just to be safe.. I still have three more side gates to do and maybe a large front entry gate.

Last edited by hybrid_eg; 10-08-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 7
      10-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #538
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Bin of refuse:
Attached Images

Last edited by UncleWede; 10-08-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 3
wrickem2101.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #539
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The huge project of ripping out every piece of metal plumbing in our house and replacing it with PEX and plastic fittings began this past weekend:

The scrap value of the copper will probably pay for the PEX and other materials twice over, and not having to trudge into the basement at 3:00 AM with a flood alarm screaming to see what pipe ruptured this time is just gravy.....
David0ff1055.00
wrickem2101.00
nyalpine907384.50
      10-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #540
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
gate - siding
Wow! That looks good! Man, the above ground lines, that tall pine tree, and then the style of house makes me super curious where in Orange County that is, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The huge project of ripping out every piece of metal plumbing in our house and replacing it with PEX and plastic fittings began this past weekend:
Just had my house repiped with pex. I think I paid the guys by how many holes they cut in my ceiling and walls.

My house is about to undergo a lot of plastic surgery. Anyone know how I can take a house across the border to get cheaper surgery?
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614904.50
hybrid_eg850.50
      10-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #541
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Wow! That looks good! Man, the above ground lines, that tall pine tree, and then the style of house makes me super curious where in Orange County that is, haha.

Just had my house repiped with pex. I think I paid the guys by how many holes they cut in my ceiling and walls.

My house is about to undergo a lot of plastic surgery. Anyone know how I can take a house across the border to get cheaper surgery?

easy just have the people across the border come to US to fix your house
Appreciate 7
UncleWede17880.00
hybrid_eg850.50
PoorLurker1135.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      10-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #542
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Fortunately, my house is small, one floor, and has basement/crawlspace access underneath. The sheetrock damage should be minimal, and is concealed under cabinets in many cases.

The clear liquid that comes out of our well eats metal even after multi-stages of treatment, and we are cobbling in patches to the copper pipes every few months as they rupture. I want to replace everything with PEX, home-run to a central 100% plastic distribution manifold with shutoff knobs for every fixture. Ideally, I don't want a single piece of metal anywhere in the water system, but will have to live with two metal 90 degree elbows and a short pipe on each side of the UV light since two bends are required to keep the UV from destroying the PEX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
easy just have the people across the border come to US to fix your house
Our local Home Depot locations have rental tools, rental trucks, and rental day laborers standing at the curb if you show up at 7:00 AM.....
      10-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #543
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
The clear liquid that comes out of our well eats metal even after multi-stages of treatment, and we are cobbling in patches to the copper pipes every few months as they rupture. ...
The more southern part of Orange County, CA developed in the late 80s early 90s is having a rash of slab leaks and pinhole leaks. Some developers are in litigation. Some people blame the water districts. It's a mess. Homeowners are getting royally screwed.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #544
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
I used to like copper piping for the anti-bacterial properties, but there's only so many patches that a person can sweat into their corroded/leaking plumbing lines before that game gets old.....
      10-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #545
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

lol so finally I stopped procrastinating and I got the ceiling painted. it turned out really good and gives the industrial look. ceiling gives the illusion that it's higher too! ignore the shiny paint, it was still wet when I took the picture but when it dries it'll be flat black

here's what I used for a paint sprayer...Wagner
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 2
nyalpine907384.50
      10-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #546
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

The scrap value of the copper will probably pay for the PEX and other materials twice over, and not having to trudge into the basement at 3:00 AM with a flood alarm screaming to see what pipe ruptured this time is just gravy.....
Quote:

[IMG]https://images.hvtraffic.com/images/...6-2fc92854.jpg[/IMG]

Copper pipe is anti microbial and will last hundreds of years, it has a proven track record especially the thicker version Type K. Who knows what pex pipes will leach into water, does any study exist? Only time will tell as it is relatively new. I had many pex crimps leak in my previous house, I love my all copper lines.
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      10-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #547
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Copper pipe is anti microbial and will last hundreds of years, it has a proven track record especially the thicker version Type K. Who knows what pex pipes will leach into water, does any study exist? Only time will tell as it is relatively new. I had many pex crimps leak in my previous house, I love my all copper lines.
If installed properly, PEX is superior in almost every way to copper. (there are a few outlying situations where this isn't accurate)

https://www.phcppros.com/articles/15...re-sustainable

https://www.houseneeds.com/learning-.../pex-vs-copper
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614904.50
      10-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #548
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

i saw they have battery powered paint sprayers too i'm gonna look into getting one, ceiling looks great, def adds more roomy feeling than a flat lid.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #549
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Copper pipe is anti microbial and will last hundreds of years, it has a proven track record especially the thicker version Type K.
Every home that I ever lived in going back to when I was in diapers had copper pipes, and I have yet to sweat a bad connection. Between the potentials for theft and freeze damage as well as our water eating even certain grades of stainless steel, I have to do ditch every piece of metal in our plumbing system. I wish that it wasn't necessary, but I've spent way too many mornings using the dog's bathroom out in the yard because we had to shut the water off in the house to prevent the basement from flooding after another pipe burst.....
      10-17-2019, 11:42 PM   #550
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
i saw they have battery powered paint sprayers too i'm gonna look into getting one, ceiling looks great, def adds more roomy feeling than a flat lid.
having a cord attach to the sprayer didn't bother me at all. plus i'm wondering how much more heavier it would be with a battery and how long it will last before you need to charge it. paint would start to clog things I would think?

after I finish that bedroom i'm gonna start tearing out the all of the basement ceiling and prep it for paint
Appreciate 1