BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Confederate Flag, Gay Rights & AHCA

06-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Confederate Flag, Gay Rights & AHCA

Confederate Flag:
I don't often see eye to eye with the Senator from South Carolina, but for once, I do. This morning, he expressly stated that regardless of what one thinks about it -- a symbol of hatred or a symbol of history -- the confederate flag (CF) is a "roadblock" to unity.

Looking at the CF as a a marker of history, it certainly is. There's no question of that and that history won't ever go away. Looking at it as an emblem of hatred, well, it's certainly that too.

The question to ask is, even if the CF disappears from poles, walls, and bumpers, is the hatred it embodies removed from the hearts and minds of men? Can the hatred that it symbolizes also be eradicated? Would that simply taking down a flag be all that's necessary to strip bigotry from the hearts and minds of people who even in the 21st century harbor such feelings.

Gay Marriage & AHCA:
I also have to give credit to Jeb Bush for his practical take on Obamacare and gay marriage. Essentially he's said "think what you want, but both are law now; move on." I have to credit him for that. If nothing else, it signals that he may well be a presidential candidate who focuses on moving forward rather than bitching and moaning about what might have or ought to have been done.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 06-28-2015 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Sick of all of it. The fact you think Jeb Bush, or any ****ing Bush should be anywhere near the White House again makes me even sicker.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Flag & gay marriage are two issues that are kind of distractions - I worry more about hunger and babies & children in orphanages, sick or displaced by war.
Health care is fascinating in terms of economics, quality of life and in some abstract way crime and fraud.
As for the Bush's from Jenna Bush, Billy Bush and his criminal father(bank fraud?) to George Bush and Jeb Bush - I find them a few rungs down on the intellectual scale of people we should be interested in.

Last edited by ScottSinger; 06-28-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Sick of all of it. The fact you think Jeb Bush, or any ****ing Bush should be anywhere near the White House again makes me even sicker.
Ask Michael Schiavo what he thinks of Jeb Bush.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
The fact you think Jeb Bush, or any ****ing Bush should be anywhere near the White House again makes me even sicker.
For that matter, any of those Republican clowns, IMO.
      06-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
For that matter, any of those Republican/Democrat clowns, IMO.
Fixed it.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Jeb Bush and the rest of the Bush family are as corrupt as they come.

They are out for themselves and it's all about the money regardless of the cost to anyone else.

Vile family.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
Jeb Bush and the rest of the Bush family are as corrupt as they come.

They are out for themselves and it's all about the money regardless of the cost to anyone else.

Vile family.
So are the clintons. Different sides of the same coin
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
So are the clintons. Different sides of the same coin
True that....
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
True that....
So are the Paul's... Ron's scare tactic commercial for an investment scam is so beyond fitting for a family with presidential desires - it's simply dumbfounding.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
So are the Paul's... Ron's scare tactic commercial for an investment scam is so beyond fitting for a family with presidential desires - it's simply dumbfounding.
I found that amusing too
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

the purpose of political power is to maintain itself and to extend itself. It has nothing to do with the welfare of the people. It has nothing to do with principles or ideology or right and wrong. The welfare of the people, principles, ideology, right and wrong: these are related to the means to the end, but the goal is power. Do whatever it takes to keep your power and extend your power.

- Machiavelli-
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
the purpose of political power is to maintain itself and to extend itself. It has nothing to do with the welfare of the people. It has nothing to do with principles or ideology or right and wrong. The welfare of the people, principles, ideology, right and wrong: these are related to the means to the end, but the goal is power. Do whatever it takes to keep your power and extend your power.

- Machiavelli-
So true.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #14
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

All smoke and mirrors to keep you blinded from REAL issues that actually do affect our lives.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
What makes you think that I think that?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
All smoke and mirrors to keep you blinded from REAL issues that actually do affect our lives.
?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #17
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Fixed it.
Okay, maybe partly true, but it applies to all Repubs.
      06-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #18
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Okay, maybe partly true, but it applies to all Repubs.
The party does NOT matter, simply the fact that one ascribes to a party affiliation is a problem.

Go be non-partisan, and vote for what seems right, not what your party says should be right. You have a brain, use it!!!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

The statement about it being the law, move on is completely ridiculous. Just because something became law doesnt mean it should have. I'm talking more healthcare than gay marriage. As far as Constitutional law, gay marriage should be legal. The healthcare "law" was a complete hose job. It was a million page law that no one read. Was ruled a tax, then ruled not a tax, then called a tax again. It is completely un-Constitutional. It goes against everything we are and has helped no-one, unless you are a stockholder of an insurance company or hospital. And to force a tax penalty for not playing along is criminal. To say suck it up and move on is a slap on the face. Much like Obama painting the White House in a rainbow. Classless act in my opinion. I kind of like the Bush's but Jeb is a different animal. Obama says move on about healthcare but yet wants to change and rewrite laws that have been in affect for generations. Classic double talk.

The flag debate is a tough one, i agree. I don't really care that much about the flag. What i do care about is the uneven distribution of condemnation of rights. Why are the complaints of a relative few that are offended (mostly because the news told them they should be) more important than the genuine feelings of history and heritage that the majority of people feel about this flag? That is where I have them problem. This is an attempt to re-write history. History is always written by the victors. Now we are going from flags to National Monuments? Are we going to remove the Washington monument....he owned slaves. What about Lincoln Memorial? Lincoln only "freed" the slaves because he had too. His actual plan was to put them on reservations like American Indians. He did not believe blacks and whites should mix. But that isn't what we are tought.

And, BTW, all of this was a smokescreen to take focus away from Obama (and a confusing number of conservative republicans) signing away our national sovereignty.

I'm not trying to be all "new world order" etc. But look a little deeper into whats going on folks. Every single major news "event" the last year has all been there to conceal something behind the scenes. They say this kid (SC shooter) wanted a race war. The media and our administration provided that. All we heard was about hate from the South. Meanwhile, THOUSANDS of people, of all races, descended on Charleston and that church to love, pray, and support one another. But that was not the narrative we were supposed to hear.

I just hope enough people read between the lines. Otherwise, trouble is coming. We were created as the United STATES of America. That is not the case anymore. States will have no rights soon enough. Things are being done without the people having a choice. It's being focused in the South. If Obama can take down the South the he has nothing in his way. I know this sounds crazy. But, the evidence keeps piling up.

I'm not some Bible thumpin, truck driving, rebel flag waving, Roll-tide southerner. I'm just someone who is finally starting to pay attention. The rest of the world laughs at us now. I believe in Freedom. WE are no longer free. Havent been for quite some time. I believe in freedom for everyone. i don't have to agree with everything you do. But you have a right to do it....until it infringes on my rights. Black, white, yellow, purple, gay, straight whatever. i don't care. You be you and I'll be me.

Last edited by Tomahawk; 06-29-2015 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #20
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
The statement about it being the law, move on is completely ridiculous. Just because something became law doesnt mean it should have. I'm talking more healthcare than gay marriage. As far as Constitutional law, gay marriage should be legal. The healthcare "law" was a complete hose job. It was a million page law that no one read. Was ruled a tax, then ruled not a tax, then called a tax again. It is completely un-Constitutional. It goes against everything we are and has helped no-one, unless you are a stockholder of an insurance company or hospital. And to force a tax penalty for not playing along is criminal. To say suck it up and move on is a slap on the face. Much like Obama painting the White House in a rainbow. Classless act in my opinion. I kind of like the Bush's but Jeb is a different animal. Obama says move on about healthcare but yet wants to change and rewrite laws that have been in affect for generations. Classic double talk.

The flag debate is a tough one, i agree. I don't really care that much about the flag. What i do care about is the uneven distribution of condemnation of rights. Why are the complaints of a relative few that are offended (mostly because the news told them they should be) more important than the genuine feelings of history and heritage that the majority of people feel about this flag? That is where I have them problem. This is an attempt to re-write history. History is always written by the victors. Now we are going from flags to National Monuments? Are we going to remove the Washington monument....he owned slaves. What about Lincoln Memorial? Lincoln only "freed" the slaves because he had too. His actual plan was to put them on reservations like American Indians. He did not believe blacks and whites should mix. But that isn't what we are tought.

And, BTW, all of this was a smokescreen to take focus away from Obama (and a confusing number of conservative republicans) signing away our national sovereignty.

I'm not trying to be all "new world order" etc. But look a little deeper into whats going on folks. Every single major news "event" the last year has all been there to conceal something behind the scenes. They say this kid (SC shooter) wanted a race war. The media and our administration provided that. All we heard was about hate from the South. Meanwhile, THOUSANDS of people, of all races, descended on Charleston and that church to love, pray, and support one another. But that was not the narrative we were supposed to hear.

I just hope enough people read between the lines. Otherwise, trouble is coming. We were created as the United STATES of America. That is not the case anymore. States will have no rights soon enough. Things are being done without the people having a choice. It's being focused in the South. If Obama can take down the South the he has nothing in his way. I know this sounds crazy. But, the evidence keeps piling up.

I'm not some Bible thumpin, truck driving, rebel flag waving, Roll-tide southerner. I'm just someone who is finally starting to pay attention. The rest of the world laughs at us now. I believe in Freedom. WE are no longer free. Havent been for quite some time. I believe in freedom for everyone. i don't have to agree with everything you do. But you have a right to do it....until it infringes on my rights. Black, white, yellow, purple, gay, straight whatever. i don't care. You be you and I'll be me.
CNN and the rest of the media want a race war. They pretty much masturbate anytime there is anything that even remotely resembles a hate crime in American.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #21
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
T

I agree 100%.

My only issue with the whole flag thing is that people get all worked up over the presence of the old Confederate battle flag (not the actual flag of the confederacy) because of some obviously crazy kid when no one seems to care when people stomp on/burn/tear/destroy the AMERICAN flag?!?!?!?! That's crazy!!!

They're destroying the flag of our country today. Get your head out of your butt and focus on the problems we are having today. Then maybe we can get somewhere.
      06-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Umm, as rich as this country is, can we get our President some singing lessons??? He fairly well mangled a beautiful song, one that was truly appropriate for the time, but he should have hummed a few bars and let the choir take over
Appreciate 0