BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion TV News Reporter and Cameraman Killed During LIVE Broadcast!

08-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Unhappy TV News Reporter and Cameraman Killed During LIVE Broadcast!

Speechless...

http://news.yahoo.com/cbs-journalist...130723506.html

Quote:
A pair of television journalists at a CBS affiliate in Virginia were shot and killed during a live broadcast Wednesday morning, and authorities said the suspected shooter, a former disgruntled employee at the station, shot himself after being confronted by police on an interstate highway.

The suspected gunman, identified as Vester Flanagan, a 41-year-old former WDBJ-TV reporter who went by the name Bryce Williams on air, is in critical condition, police said.

The victims, WDBJ-TV reporter Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, her 27-year-old cameraman, died shortly after the shooting, which occurred at approximately 6:45 a.m. at Bridgewater Plaza in Moneta, Va., near Smith Mountain Lake.

The gunman opened fire as Parker was interviewing Vicky Gardner, the head of the Smith Mountain Lake Chamber of Commerce, live on the air. Gardner was shot in the back and taken to a hospital for surgery. . According to the Roanoke Times, Gardner is listed in stable condition.
      08-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC

Garage List
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
Terrible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Seems like ur out of touch with baseball a bit. A few years behind.
You didnít know who Hader was. And Kershaw is a mess in the playoffs. No thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi cpe - aero kit, 6MT

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Sad part that the killer posted a first hand shooting of it on twitter.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Only took 3 posts to make it a gun debate, well done knee jerk.

Also, since the mods of this forum don't allow gun pictures, I suggest you take those pictures down (unless of course, they allow gun pictures to make knee jerk political statements).

I don't see fat people blaming forks do you?

Terrible tragedy of course, prayers for the family.
Appreciate 7
      08-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Wtf!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

Also, since the mods of this forum don't allow gun pictures, I suggest you take those pictures down (unless of course, they allow gun pictures to make knee jerk political statements).

I don't know the circumstances or motivations of this incident but I'm not opposed to keeping people who have a history of documented mental illness from purchasing a gun. In reading his tweets, this guy had something not right in his head. Would that have prevented this specific instance from happening? Who knows? He could've owned the gun for most of his life so even that's no guarantee. I just don't understand why whenever VA tries to introduce said legislation, it meets heavy resistance from the NRA when, at one point I believe, even the NRA thought it was a seemingly no brainer legislation.

Your fork analogy doesn't really make much sense when applied here, it'd make more sense if you wanted to make the argument that we need to do a better job of not limiting guns but rather treating mentally ill or otherwise obviously disgruntled and troubled people. This guy was a former producer and anchor at the station. But yeah I get your point about knee jerking, hell even Gabrielle Giffords tweeted about this offering merely her condolences and prayers...and she was shot in the head.

Another creepy thing is how quickly he made it up I-81 to get to I-66 where he was eventually spotted by a Virginia State Trooper. He attempted to pull him over and arrest him but the shooter fled, crashed and shot himself. This happened about 1 - 1.5 hours west of here. He was airlifted to Inova Hospital in nearby Fairfax, VA and is in critical condition.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

As an interested observer to this tragic multiple murder, and with no axe to grind on either side of the gun debate, it seems very simple.

Give a nation easy access to guns and this is the tragic result.

What am I missing, apart from the many vested interests.
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Apparently the gunman was recently fired rom the TV station.

PS. Agree with Nicks comments above.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW F80

Given the close nature of the incident he could have easily gone up and stabbed the guy with a sharpened stick in the neck and killed him.
People have been killing each other far before guns were invented
Don't blame the device , blame the unstabled person using it for the wrong purposes
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Alfisti
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Tweeted about it?? Seriously?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Strict gun law or loose gun law has nothing to do with it. This is not a gun debate!

A nut job killed two people then himself.
      08-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolo View Post
Too many guns in the States, it's part of the culture and that's the result!

Attachment 1267909
Yet the one on the bottom will burn down his city when his hokey team loses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
As an interested observer to this tragic multiple murder, and with no axe to grind on either side of the gun debate, it seems very simple.

I always wonder why people make this statement. Are auto "accidents" any less tragic? Most everyone comes equipped with hands and feet, those cause just as many deaths as firearms. Combined them both and they are still less than auto "accidents".

But you are right. When people a free to exercise their constitutional right to bare arms, some people will use that right and those tools to carry out their evil desires.

If guns were the problem, everyone in America would be dead as it's almost safe to say that guns outnumber people in this county. Violence is a very real problem. But so is drunk driving and i don't hear anyone blaming the auto or baseball bats, knives, feet, fist, etc...
      08-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Given the close nature of the incident he could have easily gone up and stabbed the guy with a sharpened stick in the neck and killed him.
People have been killing each other far before guns were invented
Don't blame the device , blame the unstabled person using it for the wrong purposes
True, but it's highly unlikely he would've been able to stab and kill/severely injure all three...unless they all stood there.

If people have the urge to kill, depending on their level of desire I'm sure they'll find a way, but come on, you'd be stupid if you didn't think a firearm were a more efficient method of killing in a quick and clean manner vs. a knife or a battle axe.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Strict gun law or loose gun law has nothing to do with it. This is not a gun debate!

A nut job killed two people then himself.
Yep. Only a seriously demented jack ass would record this action with his cell phone and post it to twitter before killing himself.

Here it is, not sure how long it'll be up. Past it without the space between you and tube.

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=pW9UNPg4jHk
      08-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #15
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post

He would have used a knife instead. Or a baseball bat, or a hammer, or his fists. All aboard the slippery slope.

Bottom line is he was determined to harm these people and he would have found a way to do it regardless of his access to a gun.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #16
Alfisti
Major
Rep

That's just stupid, cars are designed to get you somewhere, guns are designed to kill stuff.

I don't know why the pro-gun people cannot just be honest and say "look, i know it has consequences but i prefer the right to own and am prepared to live with said consequences".

Instead you try to defy the damning stats and the inarguable reality that lax gun laws leads to a higher murder rate. Just be honest FFS.
Appreciate 5
      08-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #17
Alfisti
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Yep. Only a seriously demented jack ass would record this action with his cell phone and post it to twitter before killing himself.

Here it is, not sure how long it'll be up. Past it without the space between you and tube.

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=pW9UNPg4jHk
FARK!!! Cannot believe the interviewee did not notice the gun. That's fucking crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
True, but it's highly unlikely he would've been able to stab and kill/severely injure all three...unless they all stood there.

If people have the urge to kill, depending on their level of desire I'm sure they'll find a way, but come on, you'd be stupid if you didn't think a firearm were a more efficient method of killing in a quick and clean manner vs. a knife or a battle axe.
It is, but if you think someone couldn't kill and or seriously injure 3 people with a knife, who are that OBLIVIOUS to your presence, you're quite naive.

There is a reason police and first responders have a 21' rule when dealing with someone who has a edged weapon.
      08-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #19
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

I agree that they are more efficient than a knife, etc. They're tools designed for that purpose. But a bomb would have been more efficient and they aren't hard to make in your home, and are also designed for that purpose. The guy was just a nut.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I always wonder why people make this statement. Are auto "accidents" any less tragic? Most everyone comes equipped with hands and feet, those cause just as many deaths as firearms. Combined them both and they are still less than auto "accidents".
Auto accidents are a little different, it's tragic if the victims weren't at fault. It's tragic if they are, but if someone is killed because they were drunk driving at 100 mph in the pouring rain, people tend to react with less sympathy. At least throughout the decades, people have done more to reduce their instances, from making cars safer, to upping the punishments for DUI's. So while tragic, at least people are doing more to reduce their occurrence. Shit, we have cars that pretty much drive themselves now.

Quote:
But you are right. When people a free to exercise their constitutional right to bare arms, some people will use that right and those tools to carry out their evil desires.
Can't argue with that.

Quote:
If guns were the problem, everyone in America would be dead as it's almost safe to say that guns outnumber people in this county. Violence is a very real problem. But so is drunk driving and i don't hear anyone blaming the auto or baseball bats, knives, feet, fist, etc...
They are, I think the feeling of frustration is the fact that no one cares to do anything about it. Granted there are some knee jerk reactions and suggestions that simply won't be feasible both from a practicality and legal standpoint, but things like preventing people with known mental illness from purchasing a gun at your local Dick's Sporting Goods would at least help reduce instances of these shootings.

If you really wanted to target most shooting deaths, you'd also crack down on illegal guns circulating urban neighborhoods amongst gangs. Richmond, VA did something similar in the 90's when they had some of the highest homicide rates in the country. If you were caught with an illegal firearm, congrats, you were spending the next several years in Federal prison, no exceptions. And it worked. It punished those who illegally purchased guns while leaving legal abiding citizens to their own devices.

Will these measures eliminate gun violence? Nope, just the same as all the advances we've made in automotive safety and changing laws to have stricter penalties for driving related offenses still won't eliminate car related deaths but like I said, the frustration from many is the overall feeling of helplessness.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #21
Low Gravity
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

That POV video is very disturbing
      08-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I agree that they are more efficient than a knife, etc. They're tools designed for that purpose. But a bomb would have been more efficient and they aren't hard to make in your home, and are also designed for that purpose. The guy was just a nut.
I just have an image in my head of that asshole tossing a pressure cooker in their direction and how seemingly silly that would look.
Appreciate 0