BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion TV News Reporter and Cameraman Killed During LIVE Broadcast!

08-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #89
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
If you can't, won't or refuse to even acknowledge that much, you are oblivious.
Uh, when did I refuse to acknowledge anything?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #90
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I bet they would think that, they're the ones who put their asses on the line whenever shit like this happens.
It's not just that friend. We tend to (even after you've been in LE or Military it always sticks with you) to not only experience the death and destruction caused by these perps, we also get to see how easily they obtain guns, which they should never have. To a large degree, the sheer number of firearms circulating here in the states and the ease to get your hands on them (no matter how sick and depraved one is) is far too great.
      08-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #91
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
By firearm yes, but by other means no. Same for the US too, I think most homicides here are perpetrated by a blunt object.
Of course.

This discussion is about firearms, so the data is relevant to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #92
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Uh, when did I refuse to acknowledge anything?
Did I state your name in my post/comment? Then why get so offensive. That was referring to anyone who can't or won't.

One of the reasons why the discussion is so tedious and difficult is the lack of ability to have a friendly, calm and common sense discussion.

Just like these Open Carry folks here in TX that want to shove it down everyone's throats, that they have every right to walk around intimidating average patrons and businesses.

I know this is going off subject, but since the subject comes up often...
There are all sorts of videos online regarding the above but here's one that I'd like to get you guys thoughts on. Just to see how each of you thinks/feels on the individuals actions and Police actions:

08-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #93
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Latest update: the shooter sent a fax to ABC News 2 hours after the shooting:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-al...ry?id=33336339

Quote:
In the 23-page document faxed to ABC News, the writer says “MY NAME IS BRYCE WILLIAMS” and his legal name is Vester Lee Flanagan II.” He writes what triggered today’s carnage was his reaction to the racism of the Charleston church shooting:

“Why did I do it? I put down a deposit for a gun on 6/19/15. The Church shooting in Charleston happened on 6/17/15…”

“What sent me over the top was the church shooting. And my hollow point bullets have the victims’ initials on them."

It is unclear whose initials he is referring to. He continues, “As for Dylann Roof? You (deleted)! You want a race war (deleted)? BRING IT THEN YOU WHITE …(deleted)!!!” He said Jehovah spoke to him, telling him to act.

Later in the manifesto, the writer quotes the Virginia Tech mass killer, Seung Hui Cho, calls him “his boy,” and expresses admiration for the Columbine High School killers. “Also, I was influenced by Seung–Hui Cho. That’s my boy right there. He got NEARLY double the amount that Eric Harris and Dylann Klebold got…just sayin.'"

In an often rambling letter to the authorities, and family and friends, he writes of a long list of grievances. In one part of the document, Williams calls it a “Suicide Note for Friends and Family."

He says has suffered racial discrimination, sexual harassment and bullying at work
He says he has been attacked by black men and white females
He talks about how he was attacked for being a gay, black man
“Yes, it will sound like I am angry...I am. And I have every right to be. But when I leave this Earth, the only emotion I want to feel is peace....”

“The church shooting was the tipping point…but my anger has been building steadily...I’ve been a human powder keg for a while…just waiting to go BOOM!!!!”
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #94
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Wrong on every account.

Homicide rate is 1.0 for UK, 4.7 for US.

Method of homicide in the states is nearly 70% with a gun. In the UK it is closer to 7%, combine this with the broader homicide rate and the pro gun argument falls to pieces from a math perspective. The violence in the UK is there but the death rate is lower, the only difference is the availability of firearms.
In the UK if you carry a gun on the street you are either
1. A policeman
2. A criminal
3. A terrorist
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #95
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did I state your name in my post/comment? Then why get so offensive. That was referring to anyone who can't or won't.

One of the reasons why the discussion is so tedious and difficult is the lack of ability to have a friendly, calm and common sense discussion.

Just like these Open Carry folks here in TX that want to shove it down everyone's throats, that they have every right to walk around intimidating average patrons and businesses.

I know this is going off subject, but since the subject comes up often...
There are all sorts of videos online regarding the above but here's one that I'd like to get you guys thoughts on. Just to see how each of you thinks/feels on the individuals actions and Police actions:

Didn't get offensive, just assumed you were asking me since you posted it right after mine without quoting a specific person. Was more confusion than anything else.

I've already stated my opinion on the issue hence why I was confused as to why you'd say that. But if it wasn't directed towards me then that's fine, sorry for the mix up.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #96
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep

AN absolute idiot, hateful, despicable, inexcusable and cowardly act! Just like the other assholes he mentioned.
      08-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #97
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't get offensive, just assumed you were asking me since you posted it right after mine without quoting a specific person. Was more confusion than anything else.

I've already stated my opinion on the issue hence why I was confused as to why you'd say that. But if it wasn't directed towards me then that's fine, sorry for the mix up.
It was just coincidence.
      08-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #98
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AN absolute idiot, hateful, despicable, inexcusable and cowardly act! Just like the other assholes he mentioned.
Yup, something definitely not right in his head.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #99
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

Well why on earth is it allowed for random bystanders to be so close to news reporters?

Ever since the "f her right in the -----" guy stole a mic from a reporter I wondered how they are allowed to get so close? Is there no one to protect the news report from interruption, or even the news cast from something like that? I guess the answer is not at all.

News reporters can't constantly be checking peripheral vision and every person who comes within close proximity. I wish that the news company could provide a security personnel to always keep a safe perimeter for the news crew to conduct their job in a safe and interruption free manner.

Of course you have the occasional photo or video bomb which can be funny, but again even those cross the line. If you want to be anywhere near a camera crew, you should have to be invited by the crew or first ask their security personnel.

As far as gun control goes there may never be an answer.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #100
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Not in my experience. The US hangs pretty hard right, Canadians sit centre/centre left. I'd say Australia is Canada's closest relative if you ignore sports.

Big country
Small population
Mostly useless ice or sand
Commonwealth history
High tax rates
High social security
Broad based health coverage
Tight gun laws

There's a lot in common.
I hear what you are saying. My thinking is that Canadians and US are all sujset to the same TV, games, marketing, products, etc. It's just odd that americans are so different in some ways then their closest neighbour.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #101
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: m4

"Of course you have the occasional photo or video bomb which can be funny, but again even those cross the line. If you want to be anywhere near a camera crew, you should have to be invited by the crew or first ask their security personnel."

Are you serious?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #102
ycb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I hear what you are saying. My thinking is that Canadians and US are all sujset to the same TV, games, marketing, products, etc. It's just odd that americans are so different in some ways then their closest neighbour.
Homer Simpson said it best.. Canada is "America Jr". If only Canada would adopt some cannabis laws from Colorado/Washington etc

Canadians and Americans are different based on culture.. there is an American culture, patriotic, sense of entitlement etc.. Americans are Americans.. they wave their flags proudly. America fuck yaaa.

Canada is extremely multi-cultural. Bringing all different cultures with them, ask a Canadian what's their country?.. India, China, Mexico.. etc.. no one (very few) people say and are proud to be Canadian or consider Canada their home country. The peacefulness, quality of life, bring these people to Canada.

Zeitgeist The Movie will explain why USA is USA haha.

The best example is "Just for Laugh Gags", https://www.youtube.com/user/JustForLaughsTV

All filmed and created in Canada and also some in the UK.. if they pulled this in the US.. what would happen? Guns will be pulled.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #103
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman
"Of course you have the occasional photo or video bomb which can be funny, but again even those cross the line. If you want to be anywhere near a camera crew, you should have to be invited by the crew or first ask their security personnel."

Are you serious?
What is the problem with having security for news crews?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #104
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
... Is there no one to protect the news report from interruption, or even the news cast from something like that?

...I wish that the news company could provide a security personnel to always keep a safe perimeter for the news crew to conduct their job in a safe and interruption free manner.
Well, that would cost money. And we all know companies don't like to spend.

TXSTYLE That video you posted gets me upset. I've seen lots of these types of videos where people are "not breaking the law and exercising their rights". But really, what is the point? To me, people who do this are the equivalent of putting your finger one inch from someone's face and taunting "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!". It's douchey and annoying.

In the video, the guy keeps saying he wants the cops to put their guns down because his is behind his back. Does he not think that the officer figures it wouldn't take long for the guy to sling his weapon forward and fire?

And what's the point of standing with this 2 friends outside a building with rifles? What is he accomplishing? Then he says he doesn't like the cops treating him like a terrorist. Well, how do they know he isn't one? These guys, as well as the guys that point cameras at cops and federal buildings, under the premise of "it's legal to record from a public place", really annoy me. They are not educating or informing anyone, they're just being annoying jerks getting a rise out of cops under the protection that it's legal to do so.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #105
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grieverr View Post

TXSTYLE That video you posted gets me upset. I've seen lots of these types of videos where people are "not breaking the law and exercising their rights". But really, what is the point? To me, people who do this are the equivalent of putting your finger one inch from someone's face and taunting "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!". It's douchey and annoying.

In the video, the guy keeps saying he wants the cops to put their guns down because his is behind his back. Does he not think that the officer figures it wouldn't take long for the guy to sling his weapon forward and fire?

And what's the point of standing with this 2 friends outside a building with rifles? What is he accomplishing? Then he says he doesn't like the cops treating him like a terrorist. Well, how do they know he isn't one? These guys, as well as the guys that point cameras at cops and federal buildings, under the premise of "it's legal to record from a public place", really annoy me. They are not educating or informing anyone, they're just being annoying jerks getting a rise out of cops under the protection that it's legal to do so.
Like you said, just douchebags being douchebags. He was just trying to bait people going after him for doing what is technically "legal". All he got instead was well trained officers and made himself look like an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #106
iamwingman
Major
Rep

They can hire security if they want. Just like you and I can. You went on to say that to be near them you need their permission. . That seems a little silly. Some national media were just up at the entrance to the restaurant I had lunch at, doing an interview about the shootings. Was I supposed to ask for their permission to enter the business. ??
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #107
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grieverr
Quote:
... Is there no one to protect the news report from interruption, or even the news cast from something like that?

...I wish that the news company could provide a security personnel to always keep a safe perimeter for the news crew to conduct their job in a safe and interruption free manner.

I understand that. And of course the higher powers at be won't like paying a security guard or crew to follow around their news crew. But in this situation even an extra set of eyes or an extra barrier in front of this guy might have made all the difference. I'm not saying for sure it would have prevented it, but at least it would have made it more difficult or provided more time for those to escape.

I've just always been surprised that there is no problem with video bombing newscasters. It disrupts the flow and in this situation cost lives. I would hope a news channel president/owner might be willing to provide a little bit of protection. Even if it doesn't save lives, it ensures uninterrupted news reporting.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #108
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman
They can hire security if they want. Just like you and I can. You went on to say that to be near them you need their permission. . That seems a little silly. Some national media were just up at the entrance to the restaurant I had lunch at, doing an interview about the shootings. Was I supposed to ask for their permission to enter the business. ??
I'm only using that as an extreme example of providing protection. Obviously newscasters are aware they are in public and anyone can come up to talk, interrupt, be interviewed or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #109
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

My co-worker showed me the video today. Fucking terrible. What a piece of shit. I will respond once I cool off but no the gun is not the issue.
      08-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #110
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Quote:
I understand that. And of course the higher powers at be won't like paying a security guard or crew to follow around their news crew. But in this situation even an extra set of eyes or an extra barrier in front of this guy might have made all the difference. I'm not saying for sure it would have prevented it, but at least it would have made it more difficult or provided more time for those to escape.

I've just always been surprised that there is no problem with video bombing newscasters. It disrupts the flow and in this situation cost lives. I would hope a news channel president/owner might be willing to provide a little bit of protection. Even if it doesn't save lives, it ensures uninterrupted news reporting.
I believe security is provided in certain situations (locations). Bridgewster Plaza isn't a place anybody would ever think one would be in need of security.
Appreciate 1