BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion TV News Reporter and Cameraman Killed During LIVE Broadcast!

08-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #111
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I understand that. And of course the higher powers at be won't like paying a security guard or crew to follow around their news crew. But in this situation even an extra set of eyes or an extra barrier in front of this guy might have made all the difference. I'm not saying for sure it would have prevented it, but at least it would have made it more difficult or provided more time for those to escape.

I've just always been surprised that there is no problem with video bombing newscasters. It disrupts the flow and in this situation cost lives. I would hope a news channel president/owner might be willing to provide a little bit of protection. Even if it doesn't save lives, it ensures uninterrupted news reporting.
I believe security is provided in certain situations (locations). Bridgewster Plaza isn't a place anybody would ever think one would be in need of security.
Ok I just am unaware of the type of environment news crews are in. Like I said earlier I have a naive mind and never understand how simple it is to interrupt the crew, and have there be no recourse. You would think the channel owner or news owner doesn't like that and would try to prevent it. But then again maybe it isn't a common problem to warrant security.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #112
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: m4

Media in Ferguson had security. Some of them at least. Certain situations and locations definitely call for it.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #113
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

So putting the gun debate aside, are people saying that he wouldn't have killed these two in some other manner if we had strict gun laws in the US?
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #114
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
So putting the gun debate aside, are people saying that he wouldn't have killed these two in some other manner if we had strict gun laws in the US?
Of course some people will say that.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #115
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I understand that. And of course the higher powers at be won't like paying a security guard or crew to follow around their news crew. But in this situation even an extra set of eyes or an extra barrier in front of this guy might have made all the difference...
Absolutely, I agree 100%! I was just stating why I think security is not something that automatically gets sent with camera crews (or one reporter and one camera man).

I've seen plenty of videos of people interrupting the reporters, as well as another video of someone getting interviewed shot and killed on camera as well (this was many years ago on Spanish speaking news).

I would think it's enough of an occurrence that something would be in place by now. But again, that dollar...
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #116
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Latest update: the shooter sent a fax to ABC News 2 hours after the shooting:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-al...ry?id=33336339
Wow, this guy was obviously deranged. The people killed in that church shooting were great people by all accounts. To carve their names on the bullets with which he used to execute two innocent people is beyond atrocious, this is one of the most sickening things I've ever read. For him to think that those church victims or their families would have wanted him to act out like, unbelievably appalling. Anyone who can forgive this type of behavior is a better person than me. If I called the shots, his soul would be burning in a grease fire for eternity.

Not that anyone cares, but for the record, my absolute disdain for gun grabbers and the knee jerk reactions that always follow these types of incidents stem from my absolute disgust with having to be brought down by the lowest common denominator. I've been around firearms since I was a child, my father was in the FBI so I've been shooting before I could ride a bike. I still go to the range twice a week, and it's been a great past time to share with my father over the years. I've taken many of my fellow attorneys to the range over the years and allowed them to use my expensive firearms and ammunition for free, and not once has somebody not had a great time.

I am just SICK AND TIRED of the lowest common denominator in this country screwing it up for everybody else. I'm sick and tired of being told what I can't do, because other people screw it up for me. I've never been arrested, never been to jail, and never done anything against the law except for speeding (way guilty of that back in the day lol). I have absolute disdain and quite frankly outright contempt for people who cares to portray gun owners as hillbillys, trailer trash, etc. I'm a highly educated attorney with an LLM who has never so much as been looked at twice by the law. I pay my damned taxes and quite honestly, if everyone was like me law enforcement wouldn't even need to exist. Barney Fife could keep his revolver unloaded with one bullet in his pocket.

What I'm trying to say is, people just suck in general and quite honestly I'm tired of breathing the same air as the vast majority of them.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #117
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
No guns make it more difficult, but not impossible to kill.

The purpose of a gun is to kill. If a gun cannot kill, it has failed it's purpose.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #118
Alfisti
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Quote:
How is that putting the gun debate aside?
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #119
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
The purpose of a gun is to kill. If a gun cannot kill, it has failed it's purpose.
You forgot deterrence.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #120
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
we should have stricter hand laws.

nobody should have a penis or vagina cuz rape.

no sharp objects. please cut your vegetables with a tire.

was there even murder before forks, knives and guns were invented? the past must have been quite peaceful.

we should really add enough laws that people are not allowed to leave their homes. it's for their own safety after all.

i'm not for or against guns. i am against adding hundreds of restrictions on people every year though. it's a fine line we walk.

too bad we had to take away from their death to discus this. do we even remember what the first post was about or is this just a gun debate now?
      08-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #121
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [5.00]
My heart hurts for the victims, and the horror they had to experience before leaving this earth..

Rest in Peace.
      08-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #122
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
No guns make it more difficult, but not impossible to kill.

My guns didn't kill anybody this morning when there was an active shooter who just killed two people, reported to be loose and on foot, a mile from my home. They provided safety, which was the purpose they were purchased for. They didn't fail.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #123
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
What I'm trying to say is, people just suck in general and quite honestly I'm tired of breathing the same air as the vast majority of them.
Hmm... I dunno...this last comment makes it sound like you'd like to get rid of people....with your expensive guns! Just kidding, I swear!!

But I did find your statement ironic in that the topic is why people feel they can kill others, and there you are saying you hate people I know you're just venting and using hyperbole. I just wanted to lighten things up a bit!
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #124
rr006rbc
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M3 6MT

Such terrible news to hear about how innocent lives are taken with no apparent reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
My co-worker showed me the video today. Fucking terrible. What a piece of shit. I will respond once I cool off but no the gun is not the issue.
AGREED.

To be brutally honest, you just can't fix crazy/mental people. Guns are a BIT too easily acquired; yes I agree, but on the same token if someone is going to go out there and take lives they're going to do it. Strict gun laws or not. Where there's a will there's a way. The only way to prevent these things is to treat the type of people that are doing them.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #125
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
You forgot deterrence.
And how do you deter? By killing those who trespass on you. Hence, the gun is still "doing it's job". Although, yes, at times just waving your gun will scare the perp away.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #126
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
My heart hurts for the victims, and the horror they had to experience before leaving this earth..

Rest in Peace.
Well said. One of the things that really gets me is thinking about the thoughts of the victims on those last 30 seconds of life. It is extremely heartbreaking.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #127
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grieverr View Post
And how do you deter? By killing those who trespass on you. Hence, the gun is still "doing it's job". Although, yes, at times just waving your gun will scare the perp away.
I think you answered your own question, but yes, sometimes a tool can have more than one use.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #128
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by grieverr View Post
Hmm... I dunno...this last comment makes it sound like you'd like to get rid of people....with your expensive guns! Just kidding, I swear!!

But I did find your statement ironic in that the topic is why people feel they can kill others, and there you are saying you hate people I know you're just venting and using hyperbole. I just wanted to lighten things up a bit!
Haha! I don't necessarily hate people, I just don't want the majority of them around me. I live way out in the burbs, work from home, etc. The older I get, the more hermit I become. I've seen too much and been burned too much over the years, I trust nobody.

The only thing keeping this entire society together is a thin veil of law and order. You allow people to become the animals that they really are, and watch society turn into the Thunderdome overnight. Examples of this are all over the place, look what New Orleans turned into after Katrina. Survival of the fittest takes over.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #129
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
You forgot deterrence.
No, I didn't forget it.

It's not a deterrent, unless it can kill me.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #130
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's not a deterrent, unless it can kill me.
What? Are you the one aggressing on someone?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #131
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
How is that putting the gun debate aside?
lol my thoughts, that is the debate
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #132
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

I know you can't rewrite history and whilst I'm not clear why any nation would want a constitution that allows the whole population to bear arms, if you were writing a blueprint for a new country you were starting tomorrow, it would indeed be a irrational to allow the populace at large to carry guns.

In the same way you wouldn't allow a two year old child to play with a Bengal tiger. Both will end in tears.
Appreciate 0