BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion White Men Being Left Behind???

05-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 6MT Jerez Black

White Men Being Left Behind???

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/04/news...men/index.html

Had to do a double take when I saw this article. These are supposedly the most rabid Trump supporters. I don't see how these types of jobs ever come back to the U.S. regardless of who's POTUS.

Curious if others feel differently.
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/04/news...men/index.html

Had to do a double take when I saw this article. These are supposedly the most rabid Trump supporters. I don't see how these types of jobs ever come back to the U.S. regardless of who's POTUS.

Curious if others feel differently.
These guys are the same guys you see on:

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think you are coming to the conclusion that the article authors intended; that trump supporters are vaguely racist unemployed high school graduates. The entire premise of the article is based on an anecdotal case - no data, etc. - because none exists.
      05-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I think you are coming to the conclusion that the article authors intended; that trump supporters are vaguely racist unemployed high school graduates. The entire premise of the article is based on an anecdotal case - no data, etc. - because none exists.
How do you accumulate "data" on someone being racist? lol....let's see....white supremacist groups flock to Trump....his supporters are vehemently opposed to any type of minorities being allowed at his rallies....this is all the "data" I need to see that a lot his supporters are racist.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
How do you accumulate "data" on someone being racist? lol....let's see....white supremacist groups flock to Trump....his supporters are vehemently opposed to any type of minorities being allowed at his rallies....this is all the "data" I need to see that a lot his supporters are racist.
Oh, I wouldn't call them racists, I would call them pussies though. They are big men when there's 20,000 of them and 5 black people. However, in Chicago they turned tail and ran, same here in California. I call that data as well, and when I was younger we called those guys pussies.

What I gather from reading the article - it illustrates the hypocrisy and stupidity of blue collar white workers. One guy claims all the good jobs have left, he can't live on $11/hr, but go ahead, ask him if we should raise the minimum wage - he'll probably say something idiotic like "I don't think some burger flipper should make that much". Point out to him that his complete lack of ambition and willingness to get trained has held him back and he will probably go off on a welfare rant.
Appreciate 11
      05-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Well if Trump boots all of the illegals out of the country, these guys can take over the fruit and vegetable picking, gardening, etc.
      05-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Well if Trump boots all of the illegals out of the country, these guys can take over the fruit and vegetable picking, gardening, etc.
They're too lazy to take the jobs
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
Oh, I wouldn't call them racists, I would call them pussies though. They are big men when there's 20,000 of them and 5 black people. However, in Chicago they turned tail and ran, same here in California. I call that data as well, and when I was younger we called those guys pussies.

What I gather from reading the article - it illustrates the hypocrisy and stupidity of blue collar white workers. One guy claims all the good jobs have left, he can't live on $11/hr, but go ahead, ask him if we should raise the minimum wage - he'll probably say something idiotic like "I don't think some burger flipper should make that much". Point out to him that his complete lack of ambition and willingness to get trained has held him back and he will probably go off on a welfare rant.
I'm with you. I was so mad when I read the article. Like I'm supposed to feel bad?

After college, I busted my ass working 80-100 hours a week for a fucking decade in a super high stress industry. And of course I made 10x multiples of these guys but when things changed, I changed. Sure I miss my old industry, but times change. Nothing stays the same. I'm now working in a corporate function and getting an Executive MBA at the same time. Am I bitching and moaning about no jobs? Oh, to top it off, I've had 3 major surgeries in the last 4 months and snuck work in between. And dealt with my school stuff. And have a family.

If the story were different...if these guys grew up underprivileged, with no options but they worked hard to continually improve themselves...and THEN they were faced with no jobs.... Different story.

Thus, I feel ZERO sympathy for entitled idiots who lament the good ol days. If you miss it so much, get in your DeLorean and enjoy 1955.

Why do you think manufacturing "left" the US? In that article, some factory dude made $35/hour doing something repetitive and menial. THATS WHY. You don't do the same thing repeatedly and expect different results. That's insanity.
Appreciate 4
      05-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #9
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 6MT Jerez Black

Quote:
Scratching my head over your response. How did you get to where you got?

The loss of blue collar jobs in the US is well documented. Also documented are that the people having lost these jobs are predominantly White men with only HS diploma's. Given that White's are still the majority of the U.S. population, especially in the semi-midwestern area the author mentions, this is also not surprising.

Where'd you get the racist part from????
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #10
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

I'd like to see these articles start talking about how much easier it is for anyone who isn't a white male to get scholarship money for continued education.
      05-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #11
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

That holds true for both sides. I grew up in Newark and I'm a white boy. You could be rest assured that if you where walking by yourself and a group of black kids was coming trowards you (who didn't know you) they would fuck with you. That was a given. So the mob mentality works both ways. Both sides are packed full of pussies who only act hard when in a group.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #12
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue overpriced POS

Quote:

God dammit this is good... like like like.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #13
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I'd like to see these articles start talking about how much easier it is for anyone who isn't a white male to get scholarship money for continued education.
If you dig into the figures, white students receive a proportionate amount of aid for their representation in university, as do other minority groups.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...white_students
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #14
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
If you dig into the figures, white students receive a proportionate amount of aid for their representation in university, as do other minority groups.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...white_students
I'm talking about the actual qualifications that these scholarships require. A white male has to have a 30+ ACT and 3.8+ gpa to get a scholarship, just about everyone else can get one with a 24 ACT and 3.0 gpa. I fall right in the middle of that spectrum, so I got the "privilege" of paying for all of my college out of my own pocket, the fact that my parents couldn't help doesn't matter cause I'm white.

I'm all for diversity and awarding money to the most qualified students, but we aren't doing that - we've got separate standards for each group and then try to pretend we treat them as equal.

EDIT: I started my co-op rotations right when the recession hit - no one could get jobs, the school even dropped the requirement for graduation for some of my classmates because there weren't any opportunities (for most of us)...but I got an e-mail every day from my co-op advisor with a new job posting that was only open to women and/or minorities.

Last edited by fravel; 05-05-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #15
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack
Quote:
Scratching my head over your response. How did you get to where you got?

The loss of blue collar jobs in the US is well documented. Also documented are that the people having lost these jobs are predominantly White men with only HS diploma's. Given that White's are still the majority of the U.S. population, especially in the semi-midwestern area the author mentions, this is also not surprising.

Where'd you get the racist part from????
Would like to see links that show job losses are higher among white males with high school diplomas - I haven't seen anything like that
      05-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #16
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would like to see links that show job losses are higher among white males with high school diplomas - I haven't seen anything like that
That's the thing, job losses for ANY group with low education will be very high. As companies send jobs overseas and they dry up here people lose their jobs. Even more so when they have never gone to get additional training, never got any additional education.
People who were smart realized over 20 years ago, the days of our fathers when you started in a company and eventually retired from there are gone. You MUST be adaptable, you MUST continually train, and even more basic (a cuss word for most Americans) you MUST read - not just political bullshit that supports your already held position, but economic trends, business trends, international news, and technical literature in your field. In today's economy when you stop learning you stop earning, period. It's easy to blame the brown, black, or asian or muslims, but really it's your own fault.
Why are China and India doing so well? Simple, they lead the world in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math), Americans who are unmotivated to learn cannot bitch when their jobs are taken by people who want it more
Appreciate 8
      05-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #17
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:

I almost want to make a series of throwaway accounts so I can like this more.

Fucking nailed it.
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I almost want to make a series of throwaway accounts so I can like this more.

Fucking nailed it.
I liked it 3 times, no joke lol
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #19
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I liked it 3 times, no joke lol
LOL, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #20
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Quote:

"The hypocrisy and stupidity of blue collar white workers?" So white workers are the only ones who feel this way?

Do you live in a small town?
      05-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #21
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"The hypocrisy and stupidity of blue collar white workers?" So white workers are the only ones who feel this way?

Do you live in a small town?
Nope, I don't, by choice. I have a family to support, so I choose to live where I have the most possible job opportunities with the maximum amount of pay for my field - something these workers can also do. But then, I also constantly train, attend seminars, and read everything pertaining to my field to remain relevant. As a previous poster said, he's going for his MBA, I am going for my MIS. Why? because just wanting to advance isn't good enough, you have to make it happen. Once you realize "the American Dream" is bullshit, you will not get anywhere just by hard work, you are much better off. It takes work, yes, but also education and connections. So how you treat people matters.
Appreciate 3
      05-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #22
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Nope, I don't, by choice. I have a family to support, so I choose to live where I have the most possible job opportunities with the maximum amount of pay for my field - something these workers can also do. But then, I also constantly train, attend seminars, and read everything pertaining to my field to remain relevant. As a previous poster said, he's going for his MBA, I am going for my MIS. Why? because just wanting to advance isn't good enough, you have to make it happen. Once you realize "the American Dream" is bullshit, you will not get anywhere just by hard work, you are much better off. It takes work, yes, but also education and connections. So how you treat people matters.
The American Dream, as I see it, is the OPPORTUNITY to accomplish whatever you may dream. As you stated so eloquently, 'It takes work, yes, but also education and connections. So how you treat people matters.'
Appreciate 2