BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion What would you do as president to fix this mess

09-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #67
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Population reduction would be helpful also. Who volunteers?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #68
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Villain View Post
I don't think anyone is running for president on this forum. And to answer the question, no one man or woman can change anything in this country without control in both houses. So what's the point of "what if'ing"? But here's a tip I live by; don't discuss 4 things with random people, politics, religion, money and dick size. Because someone is always going to end up feeling small and rather upset.
Correct. I do think from 2017-2019 at least there will be a Republican majority in house, senate, and president. I also think only a simple majority will be needed as Harry Reid exercised the nuclear option and completed the fracture of the Senate. Finally, there have been many potential dissenters in the Democrats ranks that haven't due to presidential and paety pressure that will probably vote consciously instead of party lines. Look for that in 2017.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #69
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Despite your mostly hyperbolic, unreasonable posts elsewhere in this sub-forum, Fundguy1, I don't actually disagree with THAT much in the OP. Mostly little changes, a few big disagreements (border wall, for instance) but a lot of it is fairly reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #70
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Well, Boehner just resigned. Last day October 30th.
Feeling too much heat I suppose.
      09-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #71
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Well, Boehner just resigned. Last day October 30th.
Feeling too much heat.
That will be good for the public, and the Republican party.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #72
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Fumigation in just about every office of both parties wouldn't be a bad follow up either.
      09-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #73
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Pope Francis gives me the creeps but I think his presence got to Boehner yesterday and overnight. Who knows, he might have had the announcement scheduled for months but personally, I don't think he did.
      09-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #74
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post

I'm surprised he resigned. He seemed to be the one working hardest to get the GOP to vote on a budget to prevent another gov't shutdown but they won't get off their defund Planned Parenthood nonsense so I guess he got pressure to resign.

Wonder who they'll get to replace him.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #75
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/S14 SRT 10 viper swap

How about immediately bring something similar to Executive order 11110 back ????????????????

09-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #76
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I'm surprised he resigned. He seemed to be the one working hardest to get the GOP to vote on a budget to prevent another gov't shutdown but they won't get off their defund Planned Parenthood nonsense so I guess he got pressure to resign.

Jeb Hensarling's name has appeared as a possibility.
      09-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #77
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

I think a lot of people are surprised he resigned. I know I am. He was seen as a turncoat by a lot of the fringers, unfortunately. It's a sad commentary on the political landscape that simply working across the aisle gets one labeled as a RINO/turncoat.

In any event, I'm sure his replacement will be a moderate
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #78
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

1.Fair tax or flat tax is reasonable. No automatic withdrawal so people see how much it costs them and don't think as the return as a bonus, it's your money already.

2. Agree that if you are able bodied you need to do something to get welfare.

3. Somehow teach personal responsibility at the elementary level so that people don't expect the government to do so much for them.

4. Quit subsidizing things to prop them up. If an idea is good and people want it, it should not need help. I point to green energy as a start but tax breaks for big oil, fill in things here.

5. Quit subsidizing college loans so aggressively. All that "free" money allows colleges to charge what they want. People at my school spent 100,000 buck to get a social work degree. I think social workers are an invaluable resource but situations like this make me think of spending 20 bucks in a game machine to get a 1 dollar toy. Its a bad value and investment.

6. Balanced budget amendment. States have to do it. Fed should too.
      09-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #79
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUDrJay View Post
5. Quit subsidizing college loans so aggressively. All that "free" money allows colleges to charge what they want. People at my school spent 100,000 buck to get a social work degree. I think social workers are an invaluable resource but situations like this make me think of spending 20 bucks in a game machine to get a 1 dollar toy. Its a bad value and investment.
To be fair, if you're spending $100k to be a social worker, you're probably an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #80
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Yes it will. Get someone with a pair of balls to stand up to Obama and put legislation on his desk to force vetos, shut down government if needed and not cave, as well as lead when new republican president takes over.

No more Rinos. American people were quite clear on that past 2 elections voting in the most conservative candidate repeatedly and out the middle establishment ones. The dems all vote super liberal and party lines. Republicans need to stand up to them if they aren't willing to work across party lines and not follow the left fringe Obama, reid, Pelosi idiots.

Last edited by Fundguy1; 09-25-2015 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #81
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUDrJay View Post
1.Fair tax or flat tax is reasonable. No automatic withdrawal so people see how much it costs them and don't think as the return as a bonus, it's your money already.

2. Agree that if you are able bodied you need to do something to get welfare.

3. Somehow teach personal responsibility at the elementary level so that people don't expect the government to do so much for them.

4. Quit subsidizing things to prop them up. If an idea is good and people want it, it should not need help. I point to green energy as a start but tax breaks for big oil, fill in things here.

6. Balanced budget amendment. States have to do it. Fed should too.
Totally agree. Stop subsidizing oil, farms, etc and balanced budget amendment.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #82
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Yes it will. Get someone with a pair of balls to stand up to Obama and put legislation on his desk to force vetos, shut down government if needed and not cave, as well as lead when new republican president takes over.
Shutting down the government and causing turmoil over medicare payments to PPH is not good governing. On top of that, it will not work out in favor of the republicans at all....just like the last government shutdown tantrum.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #83
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I think just common sense would go a long way. But what I think of as common sense seems hyper radical to some.
      09-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #84
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Shutting down the government and causing turmoil over medicare payments to PPH is not good governing. On top of that, it will not work out in favor of the republicans at all....just like the last government shutdown tantrum.
The one in 94 they did that forced Clinton to balance the budget worked. Well. In fact they all got elected after. It's what conservatives expect now with Obama repeatedly overstepping with his executive orders. Without doing that it makes congress irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #85
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Well if you dissolve the EPA, I want to go to their liquidation sale...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...end-furniture/
      09-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #86
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Well if you dissolve the EPA, I want to go to their liquidation sale...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...end-furniture/
Love it. Obama gave you phones. I give you slightly used office furniture and no income taxes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #87
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
The one in 94 they did that forced Clinton to balance the budget worked. Well. In fact they all got elected after. It's what conservatives expect now with Obama repeatedly overstepping with his executive orders. Without doing that it makes congress irrelevant.
The R's are not wanting to shut down the government in order to balance the budget. They're wanting to for an issue much, much smaller than that. It's cutting off ones nose to spite the face.

Edit: Just heard on the radio that the R's are dropping plans for a government shutdown over PPH, so my comment is moot. Good.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #88
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The R's are not wanting to shut down the government in order to balance the budget. They're wanting to for an issue much, much smaller than that. It's cutting off ones nose to spite the face.

Edit: Just heard on the radio that the R's are dropping plans for a government shutdown over PPH, so my comment is moot. Good.
Glad they got some common sense then.

Although I was looking forward to a day or two of little to no traffic...
Appreciate 0