BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Oregon shooting

10-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #45
SaM335ic
USMC Ret.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 JKU and 2013 F30 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
I carry daily when I'm out of my house. I don't go anywhere that does not allows guns if I don't have to. In those cases I do not carry. I don't expect to ever have to use my side arm. But if I am in the vicinity of a active shooter and I can save at least one life, then my objective has paid off. The issue is to many people cower in conflict and expect laws to protect them. Criminals do not obey laws and that's what makes them criminals, so these "gun free zones" don't do shit but give idiots a false security that they are safe and that criminals will stay away. The only ones who stay away form these zones are people like myself who legally carry in the defense of others and my family. I do agree that its to easy for some to obtain a CPL/CWP. but between my time in service and that I work on my weapon proficiency almost weekly, I can trust myself and many others like me to defend the people in these situations. We cant afford to have a police officer on every corner, in every room. We got to rely on those who choose to defend one another and make sure those who we can trust can still do so.

Sold* 2010 335i with Active Autowerke cat-less DP's, Cat-back exhaust, CP, and BOV, AFE stage 2 sealed intake, JB4 G5, BMS OCC, BMS oil cooler valve, Alpina Transmission flash and other misc coding.
Appreciate 3
      10-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #46
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaM335ic View Post
I carry daily when I'm out of my house. I don't go anywhere that does not allows guns if I don't have to. In those cases I do not carry. I don't expect to ever have to use my side arm. But if I am in the vicinity of a active shooter and I can save at least one life, then my objective has paid off. The issue is to many people cower in conflict and expect laws to protect them. Criminals do not obey laws and that's what makes them criminals, so these "gun free zones" don't do shit but give idiots a false security that they are safe and that criminals will stay away. The only ones who stay away form these zones are people like myself who legally carry in the defense of others and my family. I do agree that its to easy for some to obtain a CPL/CWP. but between my time in service and that I work on my weapon proficiency almost weekly, I can trust myself and many others like me to defend the people in these situations. We cant afford to have a police officer on every corner, in every room. We got to rely on those who choose to defend one another and make sure those who we can trust can still do so.
Wish I could appreciate a post more than once. Well said man.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #47
MaC-N54-E82
N54 Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst
Quote:
Wish I could appreciate a post more than once. Well said man.
x2,000
BMW PE|COBB Tuned|M3 FSB|Michelin PS4S|
B12 Pro-Kit|M3 Rear Subframe Bushings|Black Line Taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #48
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
I'd never be able carry a policeman around on my belt either. lol

What's not funny is how the American people have forgotten that the police are reactionary. They typically don't stop crimes, they come after the crime and try and figure out who's to blame. Can't expect much more form them.

The only "gun free zones" i actually abide by are the ones that come with a criminal offense and the possibility of losing my right to own firearms. All others, where they will just ask you to leave if found out, i will carry anyway.
      10-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #49
SaM335ic
USMC Ret.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 JKU and 2013 F30 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
The only "gun free zones" i actually abide by are the ones that come with a criminal offense and the possibility of losing my right to own firearms. All others, where they will just ask you to leave if found out, i will carry anyway.
Same, still carry when the few times a year I may go to the movies. In Washington its up to the colleges if you can carry so when I return this winter, I will be carrying legally.

Sold* 2010 335i with Active Autowerke cat-less DP's, Cat-back exhaust, CP, and BOV, AFE stage 2 sealed intake, JB4 G5, BMS OCC, BMS oil cooler valve, Alpina Transmission flash and other misc coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #50
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

One more chance to take away guns from law abiding citizens and keep them in the hands of criminals and crazies. Way to go Obama. You go girl.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #51
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
But you didn't hear him say how just in this past weekend there were 4 murdered and 53 wounded by gun fire within Chicago city limits did you?

There will be more people killed in Chicago this year than in all the mass shootings since you've been alive.

Where is the outrage for those statistics?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm..._medium=social
I do believe he wants to curb gun violence in general. Too bad it will never happen and shit like this will keep happening. We're the only advanced country with mass shootings and rampant gun related murders like this since we refuse to do shit about it. But hey, as Jeb Bush said, "stuff happens"
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #52
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
One more chance to take away guns from law abiding citizens and keep them in the hands of criminals and crazies. Way to go Obama. You go girl.
Whether you like it or not the gun related murder rate is glaring proof that there needs to be gun control in this country.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #53
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
Whether you like it or not the gun related murder rate is glaring proof that there needs to be gun control in this country.
I think we need gun control based on gun related crime rate. So we look at demographic bteakdown of who overwhelmingly commits these crimes and apply gun control accordingly .. Theres your gun control. Happy?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #54
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
I think we need gun control based on gun related crime rate. So we look at demographic bteakdown of who overwhelmingly commits these crimes and apply gun control accordingly .. Theres your gun control. Happy?
No, not really. Thanks for asking though.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #55
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do believe he wants to curb gun violence in general. Too bad it will never happen and shit like this will keep happening. We're the only advanced country with mass shootings and rampant gun related murders like this since we refuse to do shit about it. But hey, as Jeb Bush said, "stuff happens"
Quote:
Whether you like it or not, if you take away the gun homicides related to gang and drug violence the US will have as low or lower gun homicide rates than the rest of the advanced countries, which still aren't really comparable to the US with it's diverse population.
      10-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #56
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Didn't we do this gun control crap around 1994?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #57
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whether you like it or not, if you take away the gun homicides related to gang and drug violence the US will have as low or lower gun homicide rates than the rest of the advanced countries, which still aren't really comparable to the US with it's diverse population.
Why can't people just admit guns are a problem in this country? Yet we act so surprised when thousands are murdered every year by gun violence

Here's some numbers that contradict your claim

There were on average 15,500 homicides in the US between 2007-2011....the national gang center estimates that there were on average 2,000 gang homicides in that time frame

The CDC looked at high gang cities such as Oklahoma City, Long Beach, Oakland, and Newark....they found that there were 856 gang related homicides compared to 2,077 non gang homicides.

So even in high gang activity cities 71% of the murders were not gang related
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #58
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Didn't we do this gun control crap around 1994?
And 1929. And 1935. And 1938.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #59
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
We can't be that advanced a country when this kind of shit happens on a seemingly regular basis.
      10-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #60
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why can't people just admit guns are a problem in this country? Yet we act so surprised when thousands are murdered every year by gun violence

Here's some numbers that contradict your claim

There were on average 15,500 homicides in the US between 2007-2011....the national gang center estimates that there were on average 2,000 gang homicides in that time frame

The CDC looked at high gang cities such as Oklahoma City, Long Beach, Oakland, and Newark....they found that there were 856 gang related homicides compared to 2,077 non gang homicides.

So even in high gang activity cities 71% of the murders were not gang related
If there were a gun problem in this country we'd all be dead. But we aren't and thats because yesterday, there were 320,000,000 to 350,000,000 guns in this country that didn't kill anyone.

Are you as equally as quick to say that all muslims are terrorists because a infinitesimally small percentage of them are bent on killing non-muslims? Even our president comes on national news and tells us to not judge all muslims based on the actions of a few. Yes out the other side of his mouth and presumably yours, we're supposed to chastise millions of law abiding gun owners for the actions of a few?

Why can't people admit that guns are but an emotional hot button programed into the masses by the media and politicians with an agenda?

Real-time death toll for 2015:

Abortion: 819191
Heart Disease: 447534
Cancer: 432616
Tobacco: 262559
Obesity: 230302
Medical Errors: 157535
Stroke: 96721
Lower Respiratory Disease: 107231
Accident (unintentional): 94850
Hospital Associated Infection: 74267
Alcohol: 75017
Diabetes: 55386
Alzheimer's Disease: 63745
Influenza/Pneumonia: 40379
Kidney Failure: 32079
Blood Infection: 25104
Suicide: 29645
Drunk Driving: 25362
Unintentional Poisoning: 23824
All Drug Abuse: 18758
Homicide: 12602
Prescription Drug Overdose: 11253
Murder by gun: 8622
Texting while Driving: 4510
Pedestrian: 3765
Drowning: 2948
Fire Related: 2636
Malnutrition: 2087
Domestic Violence: 1099
Shot by Police: 831
Smoking in Bed: 587
Falling out of Bed: 450
Killed by Falling Tree: 112
Struck by Lightning: 62
Mass Shooting: 43
Spontaneous Combustion: 0
      10-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #61
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I just have to laugh at the thought of getting rid of guns. We also have a huge drug problem here. However no matter how many they get off the street people have no problem getting them. So if we take guns away from the law abiding citizen then the ONLY ones that will have them are the criminals. SURE THAT MAKES SENSE. Our president is really great at telling us how bad guns are. However how many does he have guarding him and his entire family around the clock?
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #62
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
I just have to laugh at the thought of getting rid of guns. We also have a huge drug problem here. However no matter how many they get off the street people have no problem getting them. So if we take guns away from the law abiding citizen then the ONLY ones that will have them are the criminals. SURE THAT MAKES SENSE. Our president is really great at telling us how bad guns are. However how many does he have guarding him and his entire family around the clock?
No one ever said to get rid of guns. Gun control does not equate to getting rid of them, it means better background checks, registration of gun purchases, limiting people having military spec AR 15's, etc....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #63
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If there were a gun problem in this country we'd all be dead. But we aren't and thats because yesterday, there were 320,000,000 to 350,000,000 guns in this country that didn't kill anyone.

Are you as equally as quick to say that all muslims are terrorists because a infinitesimally small percentage of them are bent on killing non-muslims? Even our president comes on national news and tells us to not judge all muslims based on the actions of a few. Yes out the other side of his mouth and presumably yours, we're supposed to chastise millions of law abiding gun owners for the actions of a few?

Why can't people admit that guns are but an emotional hot button programed into the masses by the media and politicians with an agenda?

Real-time death toll for 2015:

Abortion: 819191
Heart Disease: 447534
Cancer: 432616
Tobacco: 262559
Obesity: 230302
Medical Errors: 157535
Stroke: 96721
Lower Respiratory Disease: 107231
Accident (unintentional): 94850
Hospital Associated Infection: 74267
Alcohol: 75017
Diabetes: 55386
Alzheimer's Disease: 63745
Influenza/Pneumonia: 40379
Kidney Failure: 32079
Blood Infection: 25104
Suicide: 29645
Drunk Driving: 25362
Unintentional Poisoning: 23824
All Drug Abuse: 18758
Homicide: 12602
Prescription Drug Overdose: 11253
Murder by gun: 8622
Texting while Driving: 4510
Pedestrian: 3765
Drowning: 2948
Fire Related: 2636
Malnutrition: 2087
Domestic Violence: 1099
Shot by Police: 831
Smoking in Bed: 587
Falling out of Bed: 450
Killed by Falling Tree: 112
Struck by Lightning: 62
Mass Shooting: 43
Spontaneous Combustion: 0
Gimme a break....we're talking about murders here, not just deaths. 75% of murders are committed by GUNS

And for your stats up there, how many of those 29k suicides were committed by guns I wonder?

I grew up around guns, my father is a gunsmith and lifetime member of the NRA, but it's easy for me to recognize that gun violence is a problem in this country. The US gun murder rate is around 20 times the average than any other developed country, but that's just all hunky dory in your eyes? Stuff happens right?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #64
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
No one ever said to get rid of guns. Gun control does not equate to getting rid of them, it means better background checks, registration of gun purchases, limiting people having military spec AR 15's, etc....
If that was all they wanted it would be great. The long term agenda is to get rid of them. I completely agree with background checks. However as long as guns are available the criminals will get them.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #65
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
If that was all they wanted it would be great. The long term agenda is to get rid of them. I completely agree with background checks. However as long as guns are available the criminals will get them.
I don't see anyone's agenda being to completely get rid of guns, that's just a fictional exaggeration the NRA likes to promote. Every country has criminals, yet we don't see the insane gun violence that we see here. 70-80% of murders are committed by non gang members, so it's not just something to blame on the criminal element
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #66
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 C7, 2017 F350

Let me start of by saying I own a few guns. I think getting rid of guns completely would definitely lower murder rates, after all this is America, and we are lazy sobs. Guns are very efficient at killing people, you don't even have to get close to them. You could kill someone without even getting off the couch. So yeah if you get rid of ALL guns then I do think murder rates will go down because some of those people just wont bother with the alternative tools for killing or they will just be unsuccessful at it.

That being said I think it is pretty much logistically and politically impossible to get rid of ALL guns in this country. Therefore anything other than removal of ALL guns is pretty much just lipstick on a pig. I don't even know why it's still brought up every single time one of these shootings goes down.
Appreciate 0